"Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

The S
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by The S » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:06 am

FortuneSSJ wrote:Supposing this game would have 20 playable characters, here's my list:

Confirmed

01- Goku
02- Gohan
03- Vegeta
04- Freeza
05- Cell
06- Majin Buu
07- FT Trunks

New

08- Piccolo
09- Krillin
10- Tenshinhan
11- C17
12- C18
13- Gotenks
14- Vegetto
15- Beerus
16- SSB Goku (ROF outfit)
17- SSB Vegeta (ROF outfit)
18- Hit
19- SSR Goku Black
20- Zamasu

This was much harder than I thought.

Next ones to be confirmed: Piccolo and Krillin.
I was personally thinking, the other day, if I personally was making the roster for this, I'd take just to start, the cast of Ultimate Battle 22 (pre unlocks)
1 - Goku
2 - Gohan
3 - Vegeta
4 - Cell
5 - Freeza
6 - Boo
7 - Trunks
8 - Piccolo
9 - Krillin
10 - Goten
11 - Gotenks
12 - Chibi Trunks
13 - Saiyaman
14 - Recoome
15 - Kaioshin
16 - 16
17 - Super Boo
18 - 18
19 - Tien
20 - Zarbon
21 - Ginyu
22 - Dabra

However, that's a little bit too much "fat" for my tastes. I'd drop Goten, C. Trunks, Saiyaman, and Zarbon and add a few.

So the list would then be like this:

1 - Goku
2 - Gohan
3 - Vegeta
4 - Cell
5 - Freeza
6 - Boo
7 - Trunks
8 - Piccolo
9 - Krillin
10 - Raditz
11 - Gotenks
12 - Nappa
13 - Adult Gohan
14 - Recoome
15 - Kaioshin
16 - 16
17 - Super Boo
18 - 18
19 - Tien
20 - Beerus
21 - Ginyu
22 - Dabra

I'd say that's a relatively "safe" roster lineup.

This would be my DLC season set
1- Goku Black or Zamasu: A no-brainer, since he/they is/are the first actual original "boss" for Super
2 - Broly - "Everybody" loves them some Broly and why not stick him behind a pay wall if you're gonna incentivize getting a season pass?
3 - Fu Lum - Because I love me some wacky randos on fighting game rosters, and who the hell is gonna expect a cel-shaded version of Piccolo's minions from fuckin' Evolution?
4 - Vegetto - Might as well throw some fusion influence into the game.

Anybody else could be saved for the sequel(s).
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

MisteryOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by MisteryOne » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:33 am

Any leaks from V-Jump yet?
Simere wrote:
MisteryOne wrote:Trunks looks awesome. About the two new characters, I don't expect anything really surprising. Probably Piccolo or Krillin, or Piccolo and Tien if he truly is in the game.

As for Super characters, Beerus will probably make the cut. Apart from that, Goku Black and Hit are the more likely ones. The rest, specially the ones from US saga, don't a have a posibility. I mean, I would like to see Jiiren/Toppo or Caulifla, but how would you work out an entire moveset from them? And the game was probably started way before we knew about the saga.
I'm not holding out much hope for them in the base game, but it's not like the developers are us. They don't have to wait until the episodes air to see Jiren and Caulifla fight before starting development; they could have had access to reference material for them since last year. The US arc was started way before we knew about it too.
I get your point but I don't see how they could predict that Caulifla for example would be a popular character, specially considering how she is for some reason a mixed bag for most of the fanbase. I could see them using Jiren but then again, the character right now, and maybe even once the game comes out (since he seems really, really bland to be honest), is not nearly as popular as the likes of Hit or Zamasu.
English is not my first language. Please excuse my gramatical mistakes.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:13 am

BrolyKale wrote:Is there a chance for broly to be in the game? or will they just add canon-characters?
The producer of the game has stated that the roster will not be determined by popularity, but by the uniqueness of the moveset and techniques of the character. So there are no guarantees for any character making it into game.

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:48 am

Piccolo and Krillin confirmed.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Last edited by Gafonso6 on Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm just a DB fan that's in the grey area that exists between an Hardcore Fanboy and a Casual :P

Ikazvyr
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ikazvyr » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:05 am

Lord Beerus wrote:
BrolyKale wrote:Is there a chance for broly to be in the game? or will they just add canon-characters?
The producer of the game has stated that the roster will not be determined by popularity, but by the uniqueness of the moveset and techniques of the character. So there are no guarantees for any character making it into game.
There's always a chance to Broly be in a DBZ game. He even was a secret boss in Attack of the Saiyans :lol:
But I think he will do it somehow. I personally don't like him, but he's very unique. Big buffed characters in fighting games rosters are very common. And even that I don't like him as an Dragon Ball character, he's an enjoyable playable character
Gafonso6 wrote:Piccolo and Krillin confirmed.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Those arts are gorgeous!

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:19 am

Both Piccolo and Krillin look great. Now that the heroes have all (or mostly) been shown, I think the next few characters will be villains starting with androids 17 & 18.
Lord Beerus wrote:
I can see him and even Bardock being some kind of "secret" bosses or something.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:23 am

Lord Beerus wrote:
She said unique gameplay and popularity would be considered for new characters. I don't want to see Broly, but his chances are pretty good; being both ideally suited to be a grappler and popular.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:25 am

Not surprised in the slightest with the inclusion of Piccolo and Krillin. They both have quite unique techniques and traits they can bring to the table with which make them great in both attack and support.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:32 am

Piccolo and Kuririn were expected.
I wonder what those stats mean, waiting for a translation soon. Piccolo has 16 and Kuririn has 14. The most lopsided stat, if I were a guessing man, should be range in the bottom left.

Piccolo has the Gekiretsu Kodan as a special, sweet! My favourite attack in the manga.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:46 am

LightBing wrote:I wonder what those stats mean, waiting for a translation soon.
It's a radar chart displaying rankings of (clockwise, from the top) power, speed, reach, technique, energy on a scale up to five.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

TheDBZmaster100
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheDBZmaster100 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:50 am

Krillin is wearing his ROF Turtle gi as opposed to his gi from the Saiyan Saga, look at his ankles and the colour of his gi.

Piccolo

Power: 3
Speed: 2
Reach: 4
Technique: 4
Energy: 3

Piccolo has technical skills such as extending his arms to grasp his opponent and charge techniques. He has a variety of methods to break the opponent’s guard. He can fire beams at super high speeds. By long-pressing the button, he can charge up for a stronger attack. He also has a technique that fires a Ki blast to deal great damage. When connecting from a combo, it will deal even greater damage.
Krillin

Power: 2
Speed: 3
Reach: 1
Technique: 4
Energy: 4

Krillin has low power and reach, but can use a variety of techniques. He can even use Kamehameha, meaning fighting from a distance should not be a problem. He can use skills to confuse the enemy such as the “Afterimage Technique,” which leaves behind an image of Krillin before turning into an attack. He can also use “Destructo Disc,” which is impossible to guard against. After firing Ki blasts, Krillin can alter their trajectory and have them explode in the sky to shoot out multiple Ki blasts.
The magazine also reveals that players will be able to control chibi characters in online mode, similar to the online system in the Guilty Gear Xrd series, and that those chibi characters will be able to battle against each other.
http://gematsu.com/2017/07/dragon-ball- ... in-piccolo

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:01 am

Lord Beerus wrote:
I would say Broly's moveset is pretty unique. No other Dragon Ball character has his techniques except Kale.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

KayDash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KayDash » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:03 am

sintzu wrote:Both Piccolo and Krillin look great. Now that the heroes have all (or mostly) been shown, I think the next few characters will be villains starting with androids 17 & 18.
Unlikely. I mean #18 is likely, but if they are serious about character uniqueness, they will likely pick #19 or #20 instead of #17, because of their energy absorbing ability, that can be turned into a game mechanic. There's also #16 who is perfect for a short range big guy character, which the game doesn't have yet. (well, mostly short range, dephending on how they implement his Hell's Flash and Rocket Punch)

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:05 am

I'm liking the approach they've taken with the roster in FighterZ. Special traits and/abilities that certain characters have, like Piccolo being able to stretch his arms and grab his opponents to him and Krillin's Destructo Disk cutting through anything, can compensate big time for areas they are notability lacking in in stats.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:05 pm

Hey Krillin, have you been lifting? Cause you look JACK'D!

Both of them were expected, but it was nice to see them - Krillin is my fave and Piccolo is a kick-ass character.

Now give me Tien and 5th form Cooler and we're good to go!

KorgDTR2000
Beyond Newbie

Post by KorgDTR2000 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:14 pm

Kuririn and Piccolo both look great. I'm especially pleased that Kuririn has Zanzoken. That's gonna be cool. I figured they'd make him one of the faster characters but I like the direction they've taken him in, physical weakness but with a variety of powerful techniques.

I think this also addresses the concerns over balance. When they say "it would ruin the image for the weaker characters to defeat the strongest" Kuririn is definitely in that group. But conveniently they've included character stats and while Kuririn has below-average attack power and low range he rates high in other areas. Even though Kuririn has weaknesses, he had clear advantages that still make him viable to play.

As for Piccolo, he looks super cool. From the sounds of it Makankosappo is chargeable which is going to be tricky to use. The best way to use it will be to call in an assist to keep the opponent busy for a few seconds. Wonder how long the charge will be, and how powerful it gets.

With these two we've got nine of what I consider the main twelve. The remaining three are Tenshinhan, Yamcha and #18. Ten and Yamcha are a little uncertain but given a 3v3's need for warm bodies, their unique techniques and their total lack of DLC-selling curb appeal, I think they're both shoe-ins.

After those three it gets interesting. The main twelve are the easy part. The hard part is deciding what supporting heroes, supporting villains, movie characters, DB character, GT characters and Super characters will be there. The realistic candidates blow the roster up from 12 to several dozen. And factoring in additional forms for characters expands it further. At that point it comes down to personal taste. No matter one, someone is getting left out.

Just contained to the main line of Z, I would expect to see Nappa (a natural grappler), Captain Ginyu (with Ghurd, Jheese, Batta and Recoome as built-in assists), #16 (another grappler with some cool moves including a potential self-destruct), Mr. Satan (obligatory joke character), the Great Saiyaman (very popular and with a pure melee moveset), Dabra (due to the sword and stone spit), Gotenks (with a SSJ3 transformation) and Kid Boo (all-around psycho).

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:36 pm

ShadowBardock89 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
I would say Broly's moveset is pretty unique. No other Dragon Ball character has his techniques except Kale.
I see, id like to see him tbh he could be really fun to use, i just hope he won't be too slow well we'll see
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:45 pm

I'm so happy krillin and Piccolo are in DBZ figthers,I can't wait to get this game
Mostly active on discord.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:46 pm

KorgDTR2000 wrote:Kuririn and Piccolo both look great. I'm especially pleased that Kuririn has Zanzoken. That's gonna be cool. I figured they'd make him one of the faster characters but I like the direction they've taken him in, physical weakness but with a variety of powerful techniques.

I think this also addresses the concerns over balance. When they say "it would ruin the image for the weaker characters to defeat the strongest" Kuririn is definitely in that group. But conveniently they've included character stats and while Kuririn has below-average attack power and low range he rates high in other areas. Even though Kuririn has weaknesses, he had clear advantages that still make him viable to play.

As for Piccolo, he looks super cool. From the sounds of it Makankosappo is chargeable which is going to be tricky to use. The best way to use it will be to call in an assist to keep the opponent busy for a few seconds. Wonder how long the charge will be, and how powerful it gets.

With these two we've got nine of what I consider the main twelve. The remaining three are Tenshinhan, Yamcha and #18. Ten and Yamcha are a little uncertain but given a 3v3's need for warm bodies, their unique techniques and their total lack of DLC-selling curb appeal, I think they're both shoe-ins.

After those three it gets interesting. The main twelve are the easy part. The hard part is deciding what supporting heroes, supporting villains, movie characters, DB character, GT characters and Super characters will be there. The realistic candidates blow the roster up from 12 to several dozen. And factoring in additional forms for characters expands it further. At that point it comes down to personal taste. No matter one, someone is getting left out.

Just contained to the main line of Z, I would expect to see Nappa (a natural grappler), Captain Ginyu (with Ghurd, Jheese, Batta and Recoome as built-in assists), #16 (another grappler with some cool moves including a potential self-destruct), Mr. Satan (obligatory joke character), the Great Saiyaman (very popular and with a pure melee moveset), Dabra (due to the sword and stone spit), Gotenks (with a SSJ3 transformation) and Kid Boo (all-around psycho).
I'm more interested in the controllable ki blasts mechanic they gave Kuririn, which is based on the attack he used to kill the Saibaimen. How will that work? :think:

Besides those three you mentioned, which I agree in their almost certain inclusion, I would add a few more:
- SSJ3 Gotenks, he's one of the most creative characters in the whole manga, it's like he was made for this game. I would be shocked if he wasn't included.

- Pure Boo or Super Boo, I guess which one might depend on the numbers of large and small characters we might get. It's one of the main villains, it has it's own style. Besides being popular and recognizable among fans and casuals.

The rest there's a bunch of possibilities like you discriminated in your post. The top two to get in besides the core mentioned are Nappa and Ginyu, they are essential Dragon Ball characters.

KayDash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KayDash » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:46 pm

I'm still puzzled about that ballance thing.
I wonder if what they ment is that certain "weaker-in-lore" characters like Krillin, Satan, Videl, Tien, etc. won't be able to use lv.5 supers, like planet-size fireballs, and such, but instead they will work better as a support, then the powerhouse characters, like Goku.
If they to do this, I think it's still possible to ballance it all out well. You will just change from Krillin to Goku when your super bar is filled, but when both Goku and Krillin is out of the ring, you will likely use Krillin instead of Goku for the support, because he will throw an unblockable Kienzan or something, and you can follow it up with combos, instead of Goku's blockable linear Kamehameha.
This could actually lead to interesting strategies by players, instead of the game just being another anime tag fighter but with DBZ characters.

Also, I'm happy that will pick more obscure characters too, instead of multiple forms of Goku and Vegeta. Sure, I love the SSJ transformations and Meta Coola, and such, but there are so many DBZ games already with dozens of similar characters... Glad that this game will happen besides Hyper DBZ.