Opinions on Resurrection 'F' two years later?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Opinions on Resurrection 'F' two years later?

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:55 pm

ABED wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:Dragon Ball doesn't have high standards to hit, but when most of the new stuff can't even fall under "Dragon Ball good" then someone is screwing up.

At least the movie looks nice, the arc version is possibly among the most obnoxious things I've seen in the last few years along with Rogue One and GotG Part 2: James Gunn won't shut the fuck up.
Don't lump GOTG 2 with Rogue One. That ending was so beautiful, whereas Rogue One was simply a bad fan film.

I feel like some are taking the "adjust your expectations" a little too far. DB has some genuinely great moments in them.
I don't know man, I feel like if any movie deserves the criticism of Marvel putting humor at first place at the absolute cost of everything else, GotG2 does.

It felt like a frat boy moron took the script out of Gunn's hands at every turn and wrote "and then they like, totally, talk about the dudes dads dick!".
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:03 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
ABED wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:Dragon Ball doesn't have high standards to hit, but when most of the new stuff can't even fall under "Dragon Ball good" then someone is screwing up.

At least the movie looks nice, the arc version is possibly among the most obnoxious things I've seen in the last few years along with Rogue One and GotG Part 2: James Gunn won't shut the fuck up.
Don't lump GOTG 2 with Rogue One. That ending was so beautiful, whereas Rogue One was simply a bad fan film.

I feel like some are taking the "adjust your expectations" a little too far. DB has some genuinely great moments in them.
I don't know man, I feel like if any movie deserves the criticism of Marvel putting humor at first place at the absolute cost of everything else, GotG2 does.

It felt like a frat boy moron took the script out of Gunn's hands at every turn and wrote "and then they like, totally, talk about the dudes dads dick!".
Rogue One is what's wrong with so much of what I'm seeing out of pop culture these days - it's a series of moments meant to call back to previous great characters and moments instead of creating new great moments. GOTG2 is James Gunn's movie for better or worse, just like DB is Toriyama's story for better or worse. I don't care for much of the Buu arc but at least it's Toriyama at its core. Battle of Gods felt fresh. RoF felt like fanservice.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:07 pm

The fact that the Super arc exists and improves on pretty much everything besides the animation makes F completely fucking pointless.

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:17 pm

I still enjoy the movie. The first half is still great, it gives the supporting cast time to shine especially bringing Jaco into animation.

2nd half kind of drags, we get cool moments between the fight of Goku and Freeza, but it seems like the pacing is all over the place. Vegeta still has a cool moment but I just wish he defeated Freeza just to change things up.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:29 pm

ABED wrote:I feel like some are taking the "adjust your expectations" a little too far. DB has plenty of genuinely great moments in them.
Yeah, but it really makes it easier to enjoy the new content. Now I can sit around all day long and complain about everything that I hate, but ultimately, you have three options: 1) stop watching/reading the series; 2) watch/read the series, but dislike everything, which is pretty counterproductive because you're dedicating time to something that you genuinely dislike; or 3) "adjust your expectations" and just watch it for the flashy fun that it could be starring your favorite wacky cast of characters.

I know that option 1 is out of the question for me because I'm a fan and would pretty much follow anything Dragon Ball. Option 2 kind of sucks because why would I do that to myself? So option 3 it is. I can accept that it's not the same as it was before and I can accept that it just can't possibly be.

Yeah, nobody is claiming that Resurrection F or even Super are these amazing works of art, but I can go into it and just kind of shut off my love for the previous series. I mean, I had to. There's nothing wrong with that. It doesn't mean that people who "adjust their expectations" are blind or dumb or would disagree with you about pacing, art, storytelling, whatever. I just feel like if I'm going to dedicate my time to something, I want to enjoy it. Yeah, I'll agree with you all day long that Resurrection F can't hold a candle to the original series... but by the same token, I'd also tell you that it can be just a fun, entertaining little movie to pass the time if you really want it to be. Just like Battle of Gods. Just like Super. Just like "Super 13." Just like the Broly movies.

Yes, if I sit there and start connecting the dots and think about what the author said yeas ago versus what they're saying now, or how deep the story is, or what the characters' motivations are, then I wouldn't enjoy any of those things. But if I say, "You know, I like the series, let's just watch this," then I'm right as rain. It doesn't mean that I'm dumb or don't appreciate good storytelling; it just means that I choose to ignore the flaws so I can actually enjoy the content.

I brought up a point about the original Dragon Ball series and nostalgia, which caught a lot of fire (in a negative way). Hey, that's my opinion. I feel like if I think about it, people have been arguing about things for years regarding the original series. In that aspect, the original was never bulletproof in logic or storytelling either. But when I fell in love with the series, I didn't care about that. Well, I choose to do the same here. I want to enjoy it. I want to have fun watching it. I don't want to watch it and just be grunting at everything. DBZ was DBZ and this is something new with those characters: that's how I see it. Personally, to me, I don't care about continuity, about how well they bridge the story, or how deep they go because I feel like that ship has sailed a long time ago. Like Super -- obviously if things were broken as far back as the first arcs, then it will just continue to spiral. What's the point of even watching if you legitimately can't enjoy it?

Anyway, to Resurrectoin F -- yeah, I came into it rolling my eyes thinking, "Whatever, this isn't even Dragon Ball Z." So, I had a lot of fun with it. I didn't take it seriously. I didn't piece it together with the rest of the story and start thinking about what they could have done differently. I guess I choose to enjoy things differently. It's not that I don't have the mental capacity to find all of the flaws, it's that I choose not to. And you know what? It's made my experience with many things much more enjoyable.

I'm trying to be positive about everything. Instead of listing all of the bad, I can list all of the good. The animation was great. The part with Kuririn being a cop was a nice little side piece. Seeing that encounter between the Z Warriors and like all of Freeza's men was a pretty cool thing. Seeing Vegeta get a sliver of revenge against Freeza was pretty cool. The training with Whis was entertaining.

I mean, it's just fun little entertainment; it's not freaking "Gone With the Wind."

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:34 pm

Yeah, but it really makes it easier to enjoy the new content.
It doesn't, not for me. I can't lower the bar at will to whatever level I want. Not just anything will entertain me. There has to be some merit to it. I don't like or dislike something out of choice. It doesn't work that way.
I mean, it's just fun little entertainment; it's not freaking "Gone With the Wind."
That's your measuring stick? It's an overrated movie, and I'm not looking for that out of DB. I am however expecting to enjoy the fights, the stories, and the characters. I expect a certain level of internal consistency within the world of the story and the characters. It doesn't have to be deep, but the characters do have to be themselves.
I want to enjoy it.
I do as well, but you can't will yourself to enjoy something.
Last edited by ABED on Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:38 pm

Well that's you. And I am legitimately sorry that you can't find any of the stuff enjoyable. Of course I hope that they raise the bar rather than me having to lower mine, but it's probably not going to happen. So if I'm going to invest any time into it, personally, I'm just fine lowering my bar knowing that it would never reach my expectations.

And the "Gone With the Wind" comment was a joke -- that isn't my legitimate measuring stick. My measuring stick is: "Does it entertain me?" If yes, we move on, if no, I shut it off. It's pretty simple. Different strokes for different folks.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:41 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:Well that's you. And I am legitimately sorry that you can't find any of the stuff enjoyable. Of course I hope that they raise the bar rather than me having to lower mine, but it's probably not going to happen. So if I'm going to invest any time into it, personally, I'm just fine lowering my bar knowing that it would never reach my expectations.
That's not what I even implied. I'm not incapable of enjoying anything and I did enjoy a few things in RoF. And it's not "that's you". That's everyone. Expectations aren't like flipping a switch.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:46 pm

Doctor. wrote:The fact that the Super arc exists and improves on pretty much everything besides the animation makes F completely fucking pointless.
But...it looks like crap. The movie is still the ideal way to watch the story, besides a few eps if you want to see Trunks/Goten return and Vegeta kill Ginyu.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:48 pm

What did they add to RoF or does it all feel completely like padding?

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:48 pm

ABED wrote: That's not what I even implied. I'm not incapable of enjoying anything and I did enjoy a few things in RoF. And it's not "that's you". That's everyone. Expectations aren't like flipping a switch.
Oh, so that's "everybody" except me... I must be odd. Maybe the new content has bashed my expectations of the current content lower than others'. I don't know. The point is: I'm sorry if you're disappointed at all with any of the stuff. I have yet to embark on this DBSuper experience, but I'm not going into it expecting any thought-provoking story. I guess my method of just not giving a damn about any of the continuity or consistency (mainly because I know ahead of time that it's not there) just doesn't work for everyone or anyone.

You and I simply don't agree. That's okay. You won't change my opinion, I won't change yours. I've accepted that you have your viewpoint. I'm not going to sit here trying to convince you how to watch the series -- do what you want, I really don't care. I just shared what works for me.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:50 pm

precita wrote:
Doctor. wrote:The fact that the Super arc exists and improves on pretty much everything besides the animation makes F completely fucking pointless.
But...it looks like crap. The movie is still the ideal way to watch the story, besides a few eps if you want to see Trunks/Goten return and Vegeta kill Ginyu.
I'd disagree that there even is an ideal way to watch, both versions suffer from irredeemable flaws. Though I do lean towards the arc, since it's still not very long, has a vastly superior script, better storyboards, and elaborates on interesting points not touched upon by the movies.
ABED wrote:What did they add to RoF or does it all feel completely like padding?
Some of it is undeniably padding (see: Ginyu), but the arc also elaborates on Goku and Vegeta's training with Whis far more, and does a damn good job at it. Kuririn also gets a neat character moment when the gang is taking out the 1000 soldiers. Freeza killing Gohan was improved by a lot. There are other odds and ends, I'm sure, but that's all that comes to the top of my head.
Retired.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:01 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:
ABED wrote: That's not what I even implied. I'm not incapable of enjoying anything and I did enjoy a few things in RoF. And it's not "that's you". That's everyone. Expectations aren't like flipping a switch.
Oh, so that's "everybody" except me... I must be odd. Maybe the new content has bashed my expectations of the current content lower than others'. I don't know. The point is: I'm sorry if you're disappointed at all with any of the stuff. I have yet to embark on this DBSuper experience, but I'm not going into it expecting any thought-provoking story. I guess my method of just not giving a damn about any of the continuity or consistency (mainly because I know ahead of time that it's not there) just doesn't work for everyone or anyone.

You and I simply don't agree. That's okay. You won't change my opinion, I won't change yours. I've accepted that you have your viewpoint. I'm not going to sit here trying to convince you how to watch the series -- do what you want, I really don't care. I just shared what works for me.
It's impossible for anyone to adjust expectations in the way you make it seem. It's not a flip of the switch. I never expected any thought provoking story from DB to begin with. That's not what I'm looking for.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:02 pm

precita wrote:
Caring about animation when the writing is better is superficial. Nevertheless, the best way to watch the story is not watching it.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:ome of it is undeniably padding (see: Ginyu), but the arc also elaborates on Goku and Vegeta's training with Whis far more, and does a damn good job at it. Kuririn also gets a neat character moment when the gang is taking out the 1000 soldiers. Freeza killing Gohan was improved by a lot. There are other odds and ends, I'm sure, but that's all that comes to the top of my head.
It fixes some of the battle power issues, such as showing Tagoma and Freeza's training, removing Freeza's 1.3 million line, having Goku being shot in base form. The foreshadowing for Whis' plot device is a lot better done, much more subtle. Goku actually feels furious at Freeza instead of the movie where he acts normal. Freeza gets a cool scenes of attacking Goku's friends mid-battle to distract him (and tries to shoot him while he's transforming). Vegeta gets a cool scene of clapping sarcastically at Freeza's return (character interactions in general have been improved). Freeza blowing up Earth was also improved due to OST and the scenes of the other characters during their final moments.

PeanutSaiyan
Banned

Post by PeanutSaiyan » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:30 pm

Doctor. wrote:
precita wrote:
Caring about animation when the writing is better is superficial. Nevertheless, the best way to watch the story is not watching it.
Uhh, except that it's an anime. It's a visual medium that yes, needs good writing in order to not suck but is sill. a visual. medium.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:51 pm

PeanutSaiyan wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
precita wrote:
Uhh, except that it's an anime. It's a visual medium that yes, needs good writing in order to not suck but is sill. a visual. medium.
And even in a visual medium, placing animation above writing is superficial.

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:01 pm

I still think it's pretty good. I enjoyed the film until Goku and Freeza transform. Then the fight got boring. But before that, I liked the action and I liked the humor. The others vs the Freeza soldiers is easily what makes the film for me. It was just fun. That's all I really need a Dragonball film to be. It's why movie 12 is my favorite Dragonball movie.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

Overlord78
Beyond Newbie

Post by Overlord78 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:04 pm

My opinion hasn't changed. It's still one of the worst dragon ball movies created.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:28 pm

PeanutSaiyan wrote:Uhh, except that it's an anime. It's a visual medium that yes, needs good writing in order to not suck but is sill. a visual. medium.
Yep. Agreed. The dull layouts, horrendous directing and poor use of animation most of the times in an animation film which didn't communicate anything meaningful is what killed the movie for me. The bland designs didn't help either.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:29 pm

It's a visual storytelling medium. It's visual STORYTELLING, not VISUAL storytelling.