Official Tournament of Power Eliminations Thread (Complete)

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

precita
Banned

Re: Tournament of Power Eliminations

Post by precita » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:30 pm

I love the fact that Universe 7 is dominating. Just imagine if Buu was there too instead of Tien or Roshi, they'd be dominating even more.

Universe 7 deserves to wreck everyone.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:46 pm

I'd be happier if the three members Universe 7 have lost weren't their weakest members. While they all got decent moments, there's still that feeling of "oh, we haven't lost anything important." Universe 6 lost their strongest halfway through, their last-ditch trump card went out last week and Universe 2 lost their strongest today. Universe 7 has all its god-tier fighters still in play (which could be more than half of them depending on where you rank Gohan and 17).

I wish that ending theory people were talking about ages ago where Vegeta goes out third had actually happened. He should've lost to Frost in 107, it's not like he's done anything worthwhile since then.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:49 pm

It's actually kind of funny because Goku, Gohan, Vegeta, Freeza and maybe 17 will probably all make it to the final fighters of the tournament, which would be 5 Universe 7 characters against whoever is left.

Universe 7 really is dominating.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:53 pm

precita wrote:It's actually kind of funny because Goku, Gohan, Vegeta, Freeza and maybe 17 will probably all make it to the final fighters of the tournament, which would be 5 Universe 7 characters against whoever is left.

Pretty much. And we're still expected to be worried for them because Jiren.

To continue my 80s sports movie analogy, Universe 11 is where one of the kids' dads is an NFL quarterback and they just get him to play on their pee-wee team.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:11 am

Kataphrut wrote:
precita wrote:It's actually kind of funny because Goku, Gohan, Vegeta, Freeza and maybe 17 will probably all make it to the final fighters of the tournament, which would be 5 Universe 7 characters against whoever is left.

To continue my 80s sports movie analogy, Universe 11 is where one of the kids' dads is an NFL quarterback and they just get him to play on their pee-wee team.
I hope Jiren's decides to go wild before he fights Goku again. At least bring Universe 7 down to three fighters to make it even with Universe 11.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:14 am

15 minutes left in the TOP and there are 24 fighters left in the ring. Looks Universe 7 is going to be on top unless we have a mass elimination fest.
Majinwarman

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:02 am

majinwarman wrote:
Kataphrut wrote:

I hope Jiren's decides to go wild before he fights Goku again. At least bring Universe 7 down to three fighters to make it even with Universe 11.
It's going to have to come down to that, since there are so few other fighters left that could provide a challenge now. Which is lame, they should have balanced the eliminations better. Other tournament arcs have handled this so much better.

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:06 am

Kataphrut wrote:

I've said this from the beginning, I think there's gonna be an "oh fuk" moment where Jiren just KO's almost U7's entire team. Toei is setting us up as the audience to feel comfortable with a solid lead, and then BAM, we have like two guys left.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:09 am

Kataphrut wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:While I liked the latest episode, I’m gonna be honest here, I’m really waiting for someone from Universe 7 to get eliminated. The fact that they’re currently the universe with the most fighters left, and haven’t lost any of their heavy hitters yet, is starting to suck away the tension.

On another note, does anyone else find it kind of weird that U3 is currently the universe with the second largest number of fighters remaining? I would’ve thought they’d be eliminated by this point.
The sad part is, I think it's because they're so unremarkable everyone keeps forgetting about them. Maybe that's why Katopesra keeps showing up lately, they're trying to give Universe 3 a face.

I'm with you though on the lack of tension though. At this point, Universe 6 feel more suited to the protagonist role than 7. If this were an 80s sports movie, they'd be the scrappy underdogs, while 7 are beginning to feel like the haughty rich kids with tailored uniforms and daddy's money.
I don't see how U7 would be the rich kids. Especially since U6 had two aces, Hit and then Kelfa who is second only to Jiren and UI Goku.
Artorias wrote:
Kataphrut wrote:

I've said this from the beginning, I think there's gonna be an "oh fuk" moment where Jiren just KO's almost U7's entire team. Toei is setting us up as the audience to feel comfortable with a solid lead, and then BAM, we have like two guys left.
Why is everyone forgetting about U4?
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:22 am

HeroR wrote:
Kataphrut wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:While I liked the latest episode, I’m gonna be honest here, I’m really waiting for someone from Universe 7 to get eliminated. The fact that they’re currently the universe with the most fighters left, and haven’t lost any of their heavy hitters yet, is starting to suck away the tension.

On another note, does anyone else find it kind of weird that U3 is currently the universe with the second largest number of fighters remaining? I would’ve thought they’d be eliminated by this point.
The sad part is, I think it's because they're so unremarkable everyone keeps forgetting about them. Maybe that's why Katopesra keeps showing up lately, they're trying to give Universe 3 a face.

I'm with you though on the lack of tension though. At this point, Universe 6 feel more suited to the protagonist role than 7. If this were an 80s sports movie, they'd be the scrappy underdogs, while 7 are beginning to feel like the haughty rich kids with tailored uniforms and daddy's money.
I don't see how U7 would be the rich kids. Especially since U6 had two aces, Hit and then Kelfa who is second only to Jiren and UI Goku.
Artorias wrote:
Kataphrut wrote:

Why is everyone forgetting about U4?
Because they're forgettable. I literally cannot picture a SINGLE character from U4. They have absolutely zero build up, and I would be utterly shocked if they play a major role whatsoever. This tournament is coming down to U7 vs U11 as far as I can tell. I wouldn't count on any other real developments at this point. I honestly predict that the finale will be Jiren vs. like 5 of our guys, and then after Jiren shit stomps 4 of them, we'll get the Goku Jiren rematch. Or maybe we'll luck out and get something more interesting like a Goku Gohan team up against him.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:27 am

Artorias wrote:
Because they're forgettable. I literally cannot picture a SINGLE character from U4. They have absolutely zero build up, and I would be utterly shocked if they play a major role whatsoever. This tournament is coming down to U7 vs U11 as far as I can tell. I wouldn't count on any other real developments at this point. I honestly predict that the finale will be Jiren vs. like 5 of our guys, and then after Jiren shit stomps 4 of them, we'll get the Goku Jiren rematch. Or maybe we'll luck out and get something more interesting like a Goku Gohan team up against him.
Maybe because two are invisible?

And they have build up since 96 when they realized that U4 seemed to be missing fighters. We also know that U4 will get serious in 104.
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowmaria » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:30 am

Interesting that the last competitors for the universes, aside from Universe 9, have been unexpected so far; Ribrianne, Nigrisshi and Narirama, the Saiyan's and Hit, and Murichimu all got out earlier than the finals for their team.

Some lovely subversion of expectations

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:40 pm

Kataphrut wrote:
majinwarman wrote:
Kataphrut wrote:

It's going to have to come down to that, since there are so few other fighters left that could provide a challenge now. Which is lame, they should have balanced the eliminations better. Other tournament arcs have handled this so much better.
I still think this arc is the best arc in Super and is in my personal top 6 best arcs of Dragon Ball.
Majinwarman

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:41 pm

shadowmaria wrote:Interesting that the last competitors for the universes, aside from Universe 9, have been unexpected so far; Ribrianne, Nigrisshi and Narirama, the Saiyan's and Hit, and Murichimu all got out earlier than the finals for their team.

Some lovely subversion of expectations
The less we can predict, the better!
Majinwarman

Saturnine

Post by Saturnine » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:44 pm

Yeah, for now let's rejoice that Ribrianne is gone, she had long overstayed her welcome.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:46 pm

majinwarman wrote:
Kataphrut wrote:
majinwarman wrote: I hope Jiren's decides to go wild before he fights Goku again. At least bring Universe 7 down to three fighters to make it even with Universe 11.
I still think this arc is the best arc in Super and is in my personal top 6 best arcs of Dragon Ball.
You know what the funny thing is? For all my complaints, I'm loving this arc as well. Like, it's definitely my favourite Super arc so far if nothing else. It depends how you view it I guess. My problems come when I look at the arc as a whole, but on an episode-per-episode basis, it's been fantastic. I can think of very few episodes I've outright disliked this arc. I even liked 100 and 106, which is apparently heretical.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:24 pm

Kataphrut wrote:
majinwarman wrote:
Kataphrut wrote:
You know what the funny thing is? For all my complaints, I'm loving this arc as well. Like, it's definitely my favourite Super arc so far if nothing else. It depends how you view it I guess. My problems come when I look at the arc as a whole, but on an episode-per-episode basis, it's been fantastic. I can think of very few episodes I've outright disliked this arc. I even liked 100 and 106, which is apparently heretical.
I do have episodes I don't like, but overall this has been a great arc. I hope they just stick the landing and we don't have a FT arc ending.
Majinwarman

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:07 am

majinwarman wrote:
Kataphrut wrote:
majinwarman wrote: I still think this arc is the best arc in Super and is in my personal top 6 best arcs of Dragon Ball.
I do have episodes I don't like, but overall this has been a great arc. I hope they just stick the landing and we don't have a FT arc ending.
You mean the best ending in the series? Yes, give me more of that.
Kanassa wrote:

TekTheNinja

Post by TekTheNinja » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:04 am

HeroR wrote:
majinwarman wrote:
Kataphrut wrote:
Best how? Because it was "different from the norm"? Because different doesn't always mean good. All and all it was just a downer ending that ruined Trunks' legacy to me. If the ToP goes for a downer ending that'll mean several almost entirely wasted universes too.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:01 pm

HeroR wrote:
majinwarman wrote:
Kataphrut wrote:
Funny.
Majinwarman