Dragon Ball Kai (2009) vs. Dragon Ball Super

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Kai (2009) vs. Dragon Ball Super

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:38 pm

DragonBallKing wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:
Whats going on with Wakamoto, these days he sounds like a parody of his 90's voice.
Dude's getting old, much like Nozawa and the others. He still did a great job as Charles zi Britannia from Code Geass.
I don't think it's so much age, It just sounds like he's exaggerating his cell voice more in kai.
He did exaggerate his voice in Kai to the point of strain.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:17 am

ekrolo2 wrote: Nozawa was still good in Kai, she's almost entirely awful in Super. The only thing that remotely saves her is Black.
Not really, she was okayish in Kai 1.0 but by the time Kai TFC ended she got her Powerful Voice back.
If you listen Her voice in Kai, which was a lot Weaker compared to Super voice where she seemed to get her powerful Voice back and she clearly deepens the voice when goku's serious and when he is talking to chi chi then its High Pitched so I don't see how she's Awful in Super.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

ekrolo2

Post by ekrolo2 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:18 am

MR.Mark wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:
MR.Mark wrote:

I wouldn't go entirely that far, but there's been some issues. The overlapping DADADADADADADA when Goku and Gohan were fighting was a problem, seemed like there was a lack on her part to differentiate her characters there, battle screams or not, it just didn't sound good. That scene will definitely be topped in the dub needless to say.
I'm not bothered by that so much as I am Goku sounding exactly the same tone wise no matter what's happening. He'll have the same inflated, stupidly happy voice regardless if you show him mutilated road kill or a cookie.
Really? I don't recall Goku having a happy tone when Black told him he killed ChiChi and Goten for instance.
The exception doesn't make the rule.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: ekrolo2

Post by MR.Mark » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:59 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
MR.Mark wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote: I'm not bothered by that so much as I am Goku sounding exactly the same tone wise no matter what's happening. He'll have the same inflated, stupidly happy voice regardless if you show him mutilated road kill or a cookie.
Really? I don't recall Goku having a happy tone when Black told him he killed ChiChi and Goten for instance.
Well when you say, he's had the same voice no matter the situation, and I have examples against that, it becomes evidence, not an exception.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:25 pm

MR.Mark wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:
MR.Mark wrote:
Well when you say, he's had the same voice no matter the situation, and I have examples against that, it becomes evidence, not an exception.
Goku doesn't sound too happy here either: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7r13n- ... e=youtu.be

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:37 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: Dude's getting old, much like Nozawa and the others. He still did a great job as Charles zi Britannia from Code Geass.
I don't think it's so much age, It just sounds like he's exaggerating his cell voice more in kai.
He did exaggerate his voice in Kai to the point of strain.
I think Wakamoto just got bored/forgetful when voicing Cell. If you look at any other of his more recent performances he still has a great range similar to 90s DBZ. That said, Wakamoto's Perfect Cell isn't that bad in Kai, it's the Imperfect Cell that's weak (the games are the same way).

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:54 pm

DHM211 wrote:
MR.Mark wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote: The exception doesn't make the rule.
Goku doesn't sound too happy here either: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7r13n- ... e=youtu.be
Indeed, nor did Goku sound to happy when he was sinking underwater after Beerus beat his ass.

OfF topic but damn, I forgot how friggin NICE that shot of Goku and Freeza punching each other looks, it's like movie quality!

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:33 pm

MR.Mark wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:
MR.Mark wrote:
The 5-10% of the time he doesn't sound the same doesn't make up for all the others when he does though. It just means Nozawa not terrible a smidge of the time.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:39 pm

MR.Mark wrote:
DHM211 wrote:
MR.Mark wrote:
Indeed, nor did Goku sound to happy when he was sinking underwater after Beerus beat his ass.

OfF topic but damn, I forgot how friggin NICE that shot of Goku and Freeza punching each other looks, it's like movie quality!
Honestly the 2nd half of episode 95 was, imo, the best Dragon Ball has ever looked.

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:23 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
MR.Mark wrote:
The 5-10% of the time he doesn't sound the same doesn't make up for all the others when he does though. It just means Nozawa not terrible a smidge of the time.
Sounds like you have more of a beef with how Goku is written than the performance? Because I'm simply not seeing this happy all the time tone, there's to many examples against it.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:31 pm

MR.Mark wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:
MR.Mark wrote:
Sounds like you have more of a beef with how Goku is written than the performance? Because I'm simply not seeing this happy all the time tone, there's to many examples against it.
Yeah, people should blame the scripts not Nozawa.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:41 am

ekrolo2 wrote:
MR.Mark wrote:
Can you give the example of rest of the 90% of the time you think goku sounded goofy in Serious Situations ?
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:29 am

Ripper 30 wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:
MR.Mark wrote:
Can you give the example of rest of the 90% of the time you think goku sounded goofy in Serious Situations ?
Off the top of my head he sounds pretty goofy when they first fight Rose Black and when they save Gowasu & Shin from being murdered. Also when he fights Black as an SS2.

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:35 am

Any line in particular? Can you give some context to the scenes in question?

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:10 am

They have made Goku a little too happy go lucky in Super. He doesn't seem to care about the consequences of things as much.

Maybe some of that is because of the voice acting, I don't know if it carries over to the dub of Super because I haven't watched it yet.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:37 am

Bullza wrote:They have made Goku a little too happy go lucky in Super. He doesn't seem to care about the consequences of things as much.

Maybe some of that is because of the voice acting, I don't know if it carries over to the dub of Super because I haven't watched it yet.
Nozawa does that "heheh" laugh way more than ever in Super.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:52 am

Metalwario64 wrote:
Bullza wrote:They have made Goku a little too happy go lucky in Super. He doesn't seem to care about the consequences of things as much.

She did it a ton in Buu Kai too. I'm thinking Nozawa's playing the character to better suit a Sunday Morning audience.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:07 pm

Actually the dub Shows him to be more heroic even know in first Episode when he said "I gotta keep training to keep you guys safe" to Goten.
LuckyCat wrote: She did it a ton in Buu Kai too. I'm thinking Nozawa's playing the character to better suit a Sunday Morning audience.
Yes, she did that in Kai TFC too. And yes in Super Goku's Character is more dumbed down for Kids but still I don't get how she at her worse here, if anything she was only at her Worse in Saiyan Arc of DB Kai but after that she got used to voicing him and in Super she is doing amazing with all the screams and changing Goku's Voice Tone when needed and screams considering she's 80 now she's doing great.

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:02 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:

Well aslong as he ain't going "heheh when future Bulma dies and such, I'm cool with it.

I think some of us just arent used to seeing Goku so front and center again as the star since the whole passing the torch to Gohan was dropped.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:56 pm

The voice just naturally doesn't right, it's grown on me but Goku constantly sounds like a grandma, a happy grandma too.

In the dub because he's got a more masculine and appropriate voice and they've sort of toned down some of his aloofness it's more fitting. Once I see the dub in full Goku might not seem as different as he does from Kai.

He does have some more serious moments. Mostly in the Future Trunks though.