Universe 2 Yardrat, Goku's Recovery

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Wilderness
Beyond Newbie

Universe 2 Yardrat, Goku's Recovery

Post by Wilderness » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:33 am

As we've all seen, the Universe 2 team have a member of the Yardrat race.

Now, I'm certain I'm not the only one a little confused by this. The story as we know of them is that after Goku defeated Frieza on Namek at the peak of Namek's demise, Goku escaped via a space pod belonging to a member of the Ginyu Force, and wound up on Planet Yardrat, where we spends a year recovering from his battle, having his pod fixed up for his return to Earth, and learning the Instant Transmission tehcnique. Other than a fancy Yardrat attire for Goku, this is all we know about his visit.

So the question I would like to know is what is the origin of this particular Yardrat member from U2? (I'm shortening Universe 2 to U2 now, not to be confused with Ireland's worst band)

Did Goku's Ginyu-pod take him across to another universe?
I think this is the more unlikely option. It's theorized that the reason Goku ended up on Planet Yardrat is because it was the next waypoint on the Ginyu's map, which likely would lead to an invasion or attack. It's somewhat implied that Frieza is aware of there being more than one universe in existance. Though powerful, I don't see Frieza being idiotic enough to set his own maffia to attack a planet outside of his own universe, as this would anger the God of Destruction from another universe, and I put it to Frieza to have more common sense than that by this point.

Is this Yardrat from Universe 7, and fighting for Universe 2?

Again, I think this is rather unlikely. The Yardrat race is explained to be quite a weak race. Unless this member is for the sole purpose of medic, I don't see a reason for a weak race to be on a team that is designed for absolute survival.

Is this a Universe 2 equivalent?
I would say this is most likely. We have seen Saiyans in Universe 7 and 6 now, and even though they're bother/sister universes, I don't think it'll be entirely impossible, or even too unlikely that there are some repeated planets throughout the universes. This would be a more favourable answer to me than having a weak U7 variant in their team; why would a being from U7 fight against U7's survival anyway?

Did the writers just not think things through?
Probably.

What are your thoughts? Have I missed anything out? I'd like to hear some more theories or strength/weakness to existing ones.
"I'm not a bad guy, I am a good guy, who just... hits women with his car."

Smilodon
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Universe 2 Yardrat, Goku's Recovery

Post by Smilodon » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:31 pm

Well...Healing techniques are forbidden in tournament. But Goku said to be careful because of their strange techniques.
Imagine a guy like Babidi. He is very week, but he can do mind control...He can teleport people (maybe he could teleport a strong guy like Toppo outside the ring for example :lolno: )
Vados Sama!

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:37 am

Yeah I'm actually surprised there hasnt been more discussion on this topic.

I think it would have been a great spot to have the Yardrat use IT to move Goku off the ledge only to find he can do it too. For that reason if hes just a throwaway character they should have put him in U9 to work with those guys.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

Power Metal
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Power Metal » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:11 am

It could be possible that U2, U6, and U7 were a set of three when there were still 18 universes. Then they were re-numbered after Zeno erased the six universes and U2 was separated.
I do far more lurking than actual posting.

https://www.last.fm/user/AlexPowerMetal

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:33 am

Maybe this one just managed to go there and got stuck or even liked it and decided to stay there.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

sunkensheep

Post by sunkensheep » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:40 am

Or maybe the people from Yardrat are originally from U2, and being a race who mastered the teleportation technique they can move through universes. So I think it's possible that those who Goku met after fighting Frieza were travelers or settlers from another universe.

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:59 pm

Really, really hoping this isn't another one of those cases where the manga elaborates on an issue that the anime neglected to touch upon at all. Hopefully we'll get some kind of clarification in a future episode.

I think it'd be neat if the Yardrat race originally inhabited Universe 2 and a specific group of them migrated over to Universe 7 long before the beginning of Dragon Ball's storyline.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:17 pm

sintzu wrote:Maybe this one just managed to go there and got stuck or even liked it and decided to stay there.
IT malfunction?
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:01 pm

I believe the theory that the people from Yardrat are from Universe 2 and later found a new home in Universe 7.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Basako
Advanced Regular

Post by Basako » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:31 pm

sunkensheep wrote:Or maybe the people from Yardrat are originally from U2, and being a race who mastered the teleportation technique they can move through universes. So I think it's possible that those who Goku met after fighting Frieza were travelers or settlers from another universe.
This sounds great, my headcanon from now on.
Heno heno kappa!

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:02 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:I believe the theory that the people from Yardrat are from Universe 2 and later found a new home in Universe 7.
It's acceptable but how did they manage to get to 7?
Might their techniques include a better form of IT goku couldn't learn in a short period of time?
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:13 pm

They probably have technology to travel to other Universes.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:41 pm

Yadrats are known for techniques not super advanced technology.
I suppose it's possible because nothing is set in stone, but I would assume it to be some kind of technique related reason

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:22 pm

If there can be Universe 6 Saiayans, why not Universe 2 Yadrats? There doesn't need to be a complicated explanation.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:43 am

UpFromTheSkies wrote:If there can be Universe 6 Saiayans, why not Universe 2 Yadrats? There doesn't need to be a complicated explanation.
People are coming up with theories, because they felt it was supposed to work in the way that races are only shared between twin universes and thus there should be no Yardratians in U2, since it's not a twin of U7.
Time will tell, if people just jumped the gun in regards to that or if it really is the case and we will get some backstory on Yardratians.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:31 am

dbgtFO wrote:
UpFromTheSkies wrote:If there can be Universe 6 Saiayans, why not Universe 2 Yadrats? There doesn't need to be a complicated explanation.
People are coming up with theories, because they felt it was supposed to work in the way that races are only shared between twin universes and thus there should be no Yardratians in U2, since it's not a twin of U7.
Time will tell, if people just jumped the gun in regards to that or if it really is the case and we will get some backstory on Yardratians.
Yeah...because what exactly makes them Twin Universe if all the rest contain the same components.

At the very least it means the show didnt describe the multi-verse well enough.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:56 am

Isn't Instant Transmission only supposed to be instantaneous movement? I'm not sure if can traverse universes, but then we already saw Goku and Kid Buu use the technique to travel to the Kai planets. What difficulty is there behind moving from one universe to another when we already know that the technique can transcend the mortal plain into the heavens?

I want to believe this Yardratian just made his way to Universe 2 from Universe 7. We already know what the parallel universe is to U7. Wouldn't it be logical to assume that the Yardratians didn't evolve into being in U2?

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:34 pm

Lionel wrote:Isn't Instant Transmission only supposed to be instantaneous movement? I'm not sure if can traverse universes, but then we already saw Goku and Kid Buu use the technique to travel to the Kai planets. What difficulty is there behind moving from one universe to another when we already know that the technique can transcend the mortal plain into the heavens?

I want to believe this Yardratian just made his way to Universe 2 from Universe 7. We already know what the parallel universe is to U7. Wouldn't it be logical to assume that the Yardratians didn't evolve into being in U2?
The only thing would be the move requires a ki signature to work...as we understand it.

It would have to be some higher mastery of the move.

Wilderness
Beyond Newbie

Post by Wilderness » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:56 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:They probably have technology to travel to other Universes.

Whilst possible, and I like this idea, I don't know if I buy it. Considering they're a weak race, would they risk traveling a very long way with the risk of being attacked? No Man's Sky springs to mind haha.
"I'm not a bad guy, I am a good guy, who just... hits women with his car."