Super after 100 episodes

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Super after 100 episodes

Post by omaro34 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:06 am

Episode 100 is finally in the history books with Super finally reaching this milestone. Some thought it wouldn't last this long, but I'm glad it did.

We shouldn't take new Dragonball content for granted, this is a great time to be a Dragonball fan. Super has it's problems sure, and I've threatened to drop the show before, but I can't bring myself to do it. I've invested too much time into these characters two decades and counting that I'm always interested to see where it goes regardless of the show's issues.

I'll never get why they decided to retell BoG and RoF, that was the biggest waste of time. For someone who hasn't seen the new content, I tell them to watch the two movies then start Super from the beginning of the Champa arc.

This tournament of power hasn't lived up to the hype though. I said many times before, the longer they took their sweet time with the recruitment stuff, the more criticism the tournament itself would get. The assumption was that they were taking their time with the pre tournament episodes to ensure that the tournament would be top notch. So far, we haven't got it for the most part.

Characters like Jiren, Hit, and to a lesser extent Caulifla are characters that play pretty significant roles yet we don't know much about them. And that's what annoys me about Super.

However, between the spoilers coming out weekly, the speculation around the fandom, and the show itself leads me to the conclusion that it's been a fairly fun ride thus far. The best arc so far was the Future Trunks arc and that's saying a lot coming from me for people who know my preferences.

What do you think of Super after one hundred episodes?
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Asura

Re: Super after 100 episodes

Post by Asura » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:15 am

Decent, but it took way too long to get good. Mostly just absolute trash for over 60 episodes. That's a damn long time. I can say with certainty before this current arc even ends that it is the best arc Super has ever had. The refreshing change of pace, muted colors, grain filter, better art, and more has saved this show in my opinion. After the disaster that was the Future Trunks arc ending, many people felt that if the next arc didn't deliver, the show was done for. So far it seems the majority of people are happy with the current arc, and if they keep this up in the next arc and the next then Super can finally be a great show. Sadly though, it almost feels too late.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:18 am

Asura wrote:Decent, but it took way too long to get good. Mostly just absolute trash for over 60 episodes. e.
60 episodes in, we were halfway into the Zamasu arc. You thought it was trash until halfway into Goku black?

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:32 am

I really like it.

It definitely had a rough start. The BoG retelling was decent and the R'F' retelling was a mess. At that time, what really made me enjoy the show were the slice-of-life/filler episodes. Episodes 1, 2, 15, 16, 17 and 18 were all wonderful.

The Champa arc definitely picked things up. I enjoyed most of the fights and Goku vs Hit went down as one of my favourite fights in the entire series. Lots of cool new characters were introduced (loved Hit) and there were several great moments like Vegeta encouraging Cabba to surpass him, Goku proving to Hit that they don't have to do what Beerus and Champa command them to do and that really touching scene where Beerus wishes for a similar Earth in Universe 6. A really fun arc overall.

It wasn't until the Future Trunks arc that made me go "Okay. THIS is what I've been wanting out of Dragon Ball for a while." The return of my all-time favourite Dragon Ball: Future Trunks. Goku Black was an absolutely fantastic antagonist and is now my favourite Dragon Ball villain. Zamasu was fun to watch because of his huge ego and ambitions. Tons of fantastic action scenes and way too many great moments to count. Vegetto's return was just the icing on the cake. Although the ending was mostly disliked by the fans, I'm one of the 6 people on the planet that loved it. The Future Trunks arc has gone down as one of my favourite Dragon Ball stories.

I am currently enjoying the Universal Survival arc, but it does have a few problems. There are times where it does seem to drag and there are some characters that get on my nerves such as Kale. Some characters are written so bizarrely such as Vegeta, he's a total asswipe sometimes. There is plenty I'm enjoying so far. The Zen Exhibition matches were great, some of the recruitment episodes such as the ones with 17 and Freeza were fantastic. The tournament itself is pretty good so far but there hasn't been anything that has wowed me yet. I'm sure we'll get it soon though.

Also, I can't forget some of the in-between arc episodes. The baseball episode will go down as probably my favourite filler episode ever. Episodes 42, 43 and 75 also get an honourable mention.

It's been a pretty wild 100 episodes (and it flew by as well). I hope the series continues to improve and deliver some memorable stuff for us.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:34 am

Lol I feel silly that I decided to quit after 98, of all times. I kind of want to go to 100 just to make it even, and so I can say that, irrefutably, I gave Super a go. Not going to, because I can't even, or rather, I have no desire to watch another minute of that godforsaken show after my disappointment with the ToP.

I think that about sums up what I think. It's two years' weekends' worth of wasted time.
Retired.

DSB
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DSB » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:36 am

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:Lol I feel silly that I decided to quit after 98, of all times. I kind of want to go to 100 just to make it even, and so I can say that, irrefutably, I gave Super a go. Not going to, because I can't even, or rather, I have no desire to watch another minute of that godforsaken show after my disappointment with the ToP.

I think that about sums up what I think. It's two years' weekends' worth of wasted time.
Bye. You wont be missed

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:36 am

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:Lol I feel silly that I decided to quit after 98, of all times. I kind of want to go to 100 just to make it even, and so I can say that, irrefutably, I gave Super a go. Not going to, because I can't even, or rather, I have no desire to watch another minute of that godforsaken show after my disappointment with the ToP.

If all you have to watch is two episodes, that's literally not much more than 40 minutes of your time. If you don't have 40 minutes of time just to get to 100, I don't know what to say.

Boo Machine

Post by Boo Machine » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:37 am

BoG arc: I'm not too ashamed to admit, I had blind fanboyism glasses at this time. Dragonball was back and it could do no wrong. Though looking back on it I still enjoy it, but it really did drag in places. Especially episode 9 and 12.

RoF: This arc SHATTERED my Fanboy Glasses. I was enjoying it ok until episode 24, then I woke up. "Super has issues, doesn't it?"

U6 Arc: Come this tournament I was still watching due to still having interest, I wasn't watching it with the same level of enthusiasm. At least not until MAI BOI MAGETTA, the big adorable robot with a sensitive heart, jumps into the ring and delivers a fun battle! May not seem like much, but I enjoy Robot characters and Magetta was fun. I was back and actively enjoying it. The rest of the tournament was fun.

Future Trunks Arc: Goku Black. The reigning king of snark and sass. Who doesn't love him? People with the wrong opinions, That's who. I'm kidding

But in all seriousness, YES! A villiain! This is what I needed. Some big bad dude to come into this peaceful time and declare "No no no, Not anymore". Easily the best arc so far. Great fights, great characters, and cool lore. I was eagerly awaiting each episode.

Current arc: A battle royale was a bad idea. Oops. But to be fair I am enjoying most of the arc. Exhibition matches were fun. The recrutiment stuff was (mostly) good. The tournament itself, while so far having some pretty fucking cool moments, isn't nearly as high energy as it should be. Like, who the fuck is Jiren? I don't care about him. I already miss having an honest to god villain. Oh well. I'm still having a good time.

In Bwtween/ Filler/ Slice of life episodes:
Why is it that DBS is so good with these goofy little episodes? They are pretty freaking entertaining. Always either funny or heart warming. Sometimes really cool like with Goku vs Hit round 2. And who doesn't love the pan episode? People with bad opinions, thats who. Still kidding.

Overall, I'm having a great time with the show. It's has quite a few issues, some of which shouldn't have happened in the first place. Some you just can't help. Some don't matter at all. Like power levels. I'm not kidding.

None of us NEEDED a new dragonball series. We could have just spent the rest of our lives with the original run and I doubt a whole lot of us would be different. But I can't really see my self wanting to go back to a time where stuff like Beerus, SSJ Blue, Goku vs 17, and Goku Black, didn't exist.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:44 am

precita wrote:If all you have to watch is two episodes, that's literally not much more than 40 minutes of your time. If you don't have 40 minutes of time just to get to 100, I don't know what to say.
No, I literally don't have 40 more minutes of my life that I'm willing to dedicate to Dragon Ball Super. I can go for a swim, I could read a book, ride a bike, I could light my left nipple on fire. If I want Dragon Ball, I have 291 episodes of Z and 2 TV Specials on my PC right this minute that I need to rewatch anyway. Any of these things would be preferable to giving up another microsecond of my life to that disappointment.

Like I said, the only reason I'd ever want to get to 100 is to say that I definitively gave it a fair shot (and I'm super OCD about numbers cause reasons). It's not worth my time.

Still gonna watch the fun in-between episodes though. I've got no beef with them, they are officially recategorized as Z episodes in my delusional fantasy-realm.
Retired.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:18 am

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
precita wrote:If all you have to watch is two episodes, that's literally not much more than 40 minutes of your time. If you don't have 40 minutes of time just to get to 100, I don't know what to say.
No, I literally don't have 40 more minutes of my life that I'm willing to dedicate to Dragon Ball Super. I can go for a swim, I could read a book, ride a bike, I could light my left nipple on fire. If I want Dragon Ball, I have 291 episodes of Z and 2 TV Specials on my PC right this minute that I need to rewatch anyway. Any of these things would be preferable to giving up another microsecond of my life to that disappointment.

Like I said, the only reason I'd ever want to get to 100 is to say that I definitively gave it a fair shot (and I'm super OCD about numbers cause reasons). It's not worth my time.

Still gonna watch the fun in-between episodes though. I've got no beef with them, they are officially recategorized as Z episodes in my delusional fantasy-realm.
wow dragon ball super really broke you in episode 97 and 98,you must enjoyed some thing in dbs aside from the in between episode
Mostly active on discord.

spencer7x7

Post by spencer7x7 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:51 am

After 100 episodes, it isn't the epic sequel everyone has been waiting for, but I dig it.

Some say the 1st two arcs are a waste but I don't think they are (totally). It's 100x more convenient to watch the TV versions rather than the movies because it's made to flow better. Not that you CAN'T watch the movies instead, because you can.

Anyways, both BoG and RoF arcs were decent but for me have the same fatal flaw, the latter half of those arcs were slow and a drag to watch. The Champa arc it for now my favorite because it's the best pacing since GT, also the final battle there was epic.

Trunks arc was good but it would have been better if there wasn't so much exposition in the middle. Did we REALLY need an entire episode dedicated to Gohan and Trunks? The ending episodes were awesome but not to the level of the Champa arc.

This Tournament of Power seemed great on paper but in execution is not what I expected. The Exhibition arc was solid and just as great as the Champa arc. The recruitment stage was great and all, but was it all necessary? It should have been shorter and more focused on Universe 7. It wasn't slow and didn't feel like filler but it kinda was. Bringing you know who back was amazing and would have made this series better than GT.

However, this tournament it making the same mistake than it's previous arcs, if not worse. It has only been a few episodes and we are not even halfway there. That is extremely absurd, while it doesn't feel too much like filler, it does drag for a bit at times. A baytle royal was too ambitious of an idea for a weekly anime.

Overall, these 100 episodes feel less than the 64 GT had, and even when the tournament ends, they still will feel that way. I know Toei has to stretch them out because of money, but this makes the weekly wait not so Super, even if I do enjoy the episodes a lot. I rarely post here at Kanzenshuu let alone a huge post like this but I felt I had to pur it out there this time.

P.S.:Hopefully it ends before 200 episodes.
Penguin eating fish.

(o< <º))))><
//\
V/_

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:18 am

Terrible, absolutely terrible. I find myself mulling over the NEP and wondering if the next episode will look good everytime I watch this show. It's quite pitiful 100 episode in, I have to keep thinking about that. And you would think since story telling has evolved, Dragon Ball would evolve right along it and that's what I thought it was doing with Battle of Gods. But boy I was wrong, DBS has brought absolutely done nothing to change Status quo at all, it can't even play to it's own strengths right.

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:40 am

Honestly, I've been enjoying it. Ain't as good as DB or Z to me, but it's kept me hooked for this long. It's filled with tons of flaws many of which irk me, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't find it's best moments really good. I've enjoyed things from every saga outside of the RoF Saga. Overall, I find it to be an enjoyable cartoon that I view as mindless fun.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:06 am

I still am of the opinion that the retellings were a good way of fixing the problems the movies had and giving new fans a solid way to experience the new material without having to flip flop around between mediums. It's a shame they ignored that opportunity by making stupid changes, some good, some bad, that made the retellings pointless. At least we got a superior version of RoF and episodes #6 and #11 are still some of the best in the series.

The Champa arc was quite unremarkable until halfway through. Not offensive but not very exciting either.

Now the Black arc was polarizing due to questionable decisions in the later half. But I still found it highly entertaining from start to finish in spite of bad writing. Not one episode made me bored, not even ones like #64 and #58.

The ToP has been awful and it's the worst arc in the series after RoF. Recruitment episodes were fun, though.

Better than GT but like GT, it's nothing more than wasted potential.

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:17 am

It's as entertaining as its inconsistent.

I have had a lot of fun with every arc except resurrection f and I still go back and the highs of super rival some of the best in the entire franchise.

Unfortunately, the lows of super are on tier with some of the worst in the entire franchise.

It had potential to be better and its a shame that they didn't take advantage of that, but I have long accepted what super was meant to do and it was not storytelling.

Super will probably have a general consensus of positive to mixed or mixed to positive.

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:21 am

I'm hoping that now all these universes have been introduced in the ToP that the following Super arcs will be about exploring those universes. I'm still waiting for Vegeta to go meet the king of planet Sadala. There's definitely a lot of potential in Super's future.

Akyon
Regular

Post by Akyon » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:28 am

Well, it took until the Future Trunks arc for me to get into it really.

BoG was a slog, and having seen the movie prior I just wanted to get through it. Goku Vs. Beerus wasn't really that long, but it felt like I was trying to get through Luffy Vs. Doflamingo or Goku Vs. Frieza lengths of fighting. Had I not have seen the film there's a chance this arc would have felt more compelling, but as it was it was just a neccesary retelling to explain who the frick Beerus was to the show watchers.

RoF was deeply flawed, but it at least had enough changes from the movie to make it feel a little fresher. What a shame all of those changes were questionable; Why bring Tagoma if all he's going to do is exist for Ginyu to replace him? Why bring Ginyu if he's only there so Vegeta can complete his set of Ginyu Force kills? Why didn't Ginyu try to body swap with the Saiyans? Why kill Piccolo off? To motivate Gohan? Gohan doesn't get motivated for a further two arcs yet! And Piccolo's revived the very next episode! What was the point in Gotenks coming if he's made to immedietly leave after one gag headbutt? Frieza doesn't even really get to want to try and kill the two who look like the ones who were responsible for his prior defeats.
Whis still sorts everything at the end and with Beerus, Goku AND Vegeta all either being able to beat Frieza or beating down on him, the moment the SSJ Blues appear is the moment any sort of drama or tension disappears.

Universe 6 brought a few interesting ideas; Botamo, Magetta and Hit in particular's powers as well as meeting a new universe for the first time.
However at the time I remember being disappointed about Piccolo getting told to get out by Vegeta, Frost and Cabba were boring and offered nothing of interest, Monaka was a flat gag, Buu falling asleep for the second time(urgh) and worst of all the stakes were "If we lose, you guys have to live in Universe 6". Well, what's so bad about that? Everyone on Earth gets moved so it's only King Kai and Moori that we'd never see again. Champa doesn't seem much more of a tyrannical douche than Beerus either. Nothing of any importance would alter for the heroes...no emotional stakes except MAYBE for Dende who would be even more seperated from his people. Obviously this lead into Zeno's appearance but at the time it felt like a waste of everyone's time, just more excuse to show Goku and Vegeta off without any real reason to.

Future Arc managed to make Trunks a bit more compelling a character rather than some super badass who comes from the future and offs the greatest villain we'd seen in one blow(the more I think about it the more Z Trunks sounded like a shitty fanfiction character) but now we have an arc with a reason to fight. Vegeta is invested because it's his son whose getting destroyed AND it's a chance to beat down on someone who looks like his biggest rival, and Goku's body is the one who was stolen and he started the whole thing with Zamasu. Black and Zamasu are a great double team, and I loved the idea of a descent into villainy on Zamasu's part. I could see where he was coming from with Goku appearing as frankly; a dangerous mortal who left unchecked could end up destroying everyone...(turns out Zamasu wasn't entirely in the wrong).

The ToP has been a bit of a mixed bag thus far, but mostly enjoyable. The recruitment and prelim tournament episodes were mostly consistantly entertaining with the exception of Tien and Roshi's questionable one and the Space Poachers maybe being a little unneeded. I have enjoyed the concepts of team work and bringing back characters who haven't seen action in a while such as 17 and the RoF gang on a team. The ToP is definitely deeply flawed itself, but the stakes are high, there's plenty of variety in attacks from other universes, Frieza's actually competently written instead of the revenge obsessed moron he was in RoF, the emphasis on team work to take down tougher opponents is a great idea that I hope gets explored more fully and it's given characters that previously haven't done much a chance to shine such as Krillin, 18 and Botamo.
Favourite User quote:
Vice wrote:"Look at all these characters getting some shine in the buildup for the tournament of power, maybe we'll get to see some other characters do some stuff instead of the same old shit."
1. Goku (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitor & Vegeta (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitors

"Fuck."

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:22 am

It's no secret that I've found Super to be a lacking sequel, although my reasons tend to vary. At first it centered around not giving Goten and Trunks anything serious to do, and it largely still does, but along the way I've come to dislike other aspects.

Actually watching the show, which I avoided for a long time, makes the ching-ching money grubbing aspect obvious in things like Caulifla, a terrible character written purely to sell merchandise with her learning some four forms in a day, and bringing back Freeza for the second time in a year.

Logic, while admittedly never a necessity for DragonBall, has gone from taking a holiday to just straight-up never coming back, given the decisions Goku and company make in-universe and the creative staff make out of universe.

There's no growth or expectation of growth for any of the characters who need development (Goten, Trunks, etc.) and even those who don't (such as Vegeta, who seems to experience occasional regression instead). Most of the characters in general are written to be pawns in a plot rather than people in control of their own destinies.

It's all very shallow and vapid and superficial. DragonBall Z was meant to sell figures and video games too, but it at least pretended to have a story. Super is just a bunch of stuff that happens, and so far none of it seems to happen well or mean anything worth a damn.
Last edited by Li'l Lemmy on Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Goten of Japan wrote:Don't go 9... Go 10! (Go-ten. Goten. Get it? DOOD.)
The NUMBER ONE Goten fan, and a fucking epic one at that.

HybridSaiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by HybridSaiyan » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:26 am

When GT is better, you know DBS has some serious issues.
Super is feeding off the fanservice so much its literally painful, and with the 80% bad art and nonsense in writing. It fails to show why I'd even consider the anime a follow up story progression from Z. It takes everything from Z and fucks it up in a massive blender.

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:42 am

BoG from the earlier parts were horrible mainly because of animation, SSJG Goku V Beerus kicked it up a notch when animations became better and better plus Yuya Takahashi's cut!

RoF was just plain shit, nothing more to say about this arc.

Chanpa arc had its ups and downs, mostly downs but I enjoyed it for what it was, plus they kept the Whis Gi's which made it an actual fun to watch sequel, aside from the SSJBKK that just made the name more longer than it needed to be, Hit was a fun character.

Black arc was fun and entertaining, some plotholes but every story has one so nothing that offensive for me, powerlevel wise yeah... all over the godamm place and actually made me hate Future Trunks (in the anime at least) The MVP really goes to Black for being such an amazing character, I always had a thing for sadistic characters, Nozawa really nailed it this time.

Zen exhibition was fun, I was really entertained with all of the fights there, recruitment was also a fun add, tho I hated the Krillin and 17 recruitments as it made my brain hurt more than a fictional show would, but the Gohan and Freeza one saved it, mostly Freeza for being a fun character. Then we enter the actual beef and Jesus did it disappoint, especially this ep, I mean yeah we can make sense of what my eyes just watched... but having him go Blue? and Kale walk through it? just for homage? yeah no, bad call Toei! BAD FUCKING CALL. Not just that, for a rumble this has not felt like a rumble at all, its always one universe versus another one universe, not multiple ones having a fatal 4 way or 6 way battle, just a 1v1 or a team match, this arc has just been a disappointment for me, never ever try and pull of a rumble match and dont dare call this a rumble match.