Super after 100 episodes

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Super after 100 episodes

Post by Asura » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:50 pm

perucho1990 wrote:
Bansho64 wrote: Sorry, but I don't really get this. People act like shows aimed at kids are stupid or don't get serious at all, but that's hardly the case. Kids aren't one dimensional and stupid.

There's numerous shows out there aimed at children that can take themselves seriously. Avatar is a great example along with a lot of the DC animated shows. Especially Batman TAS.
Teen Titans(Original not TTG) was rated Y7 yet it had the perfect mix of seriousness and comedy, a perfect likeable cast and good fighting scenes. For some reason thats how DBS should be after this arc, either do a Planel Salada Arc centered on the Saiyan kids or go beyond EoZ to focus on the next generation.
Is Super even aimed exclusively at kids? I'd imagine it's aimed mostly at kids AND teenagers. I doubt universal erasure is a topic aimed only and exclusively at young children.

Do some people really think Super is the equivalent to Teletubbies or something? Like where it's primarily aimed at young kids? I'm sure that TOEI knows their audience and I highly doubt it's just comprised of mostly children. It's such a huge series that people of all ages are into it, and I doubt that young kids are far and wide the majority of the people who watch the show all over the world (That is to say, young kids could be the majority of the people who watch the show, but not overwhelmingly when compared to other demographics). The show is marketed towards kids but towards a slightly older audience as well (like 12+). A lot of people also seem to believe based on what I've seen that the "Super is a kid's show" argument means that the writers can be as lazy as they want because for some reason "kid's shows" shouldn't have any standards. Well, like Bansho64 said, kids aren't that dumb.

PeanutSaiyan
Banned

Post by PeanutSaiyan » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:19 pm

Asura wrote:
perucho1990 wrote:
Bansho64 wrote: Sorry, but I don't really get this. People act like shows aimed at kids are stupid or don't get serious at all, but that's hardly the case. Kids aren't one dimensional and stupid.

There's numerous shows out there aimed at children that can take themselves seriously. Avatar is a great example along with a lot of the DC animated shows. Especially Batman TAS.
Teen Titans(Original not TTG) was rated Y7 yet it had the perfect mix of seriousness and comedy, a perfect likeable cast and good fighting scenes. For some reason thats how DBS should be after this arc, either do a Planel Salada Arc centered on the Saiyan kids or go beyond EoZ to focus on the next generation.
Is Super even aimed exclusively at kids? I'd imagine it's aimed mostly at kids AND teenagers. I doubt universal erasure is a topic aimed only and exclusively at young children.

Do some people really think Super is the equivalent to Teletubbies or something? Like where it's primarily aimed at young kids? I'm sure that TOEI knows their audience and I highly doubt it's just comprised of mostly children. It's such a huge series that people of all ages are into it, and I doubt that young kids are far and wide the majority of the people who watch the show all over the world (That is to say, young kids could be the majority of the people who watch the show, but not overwhelmingly when compared to other demographics). The show is marketed towards kids but towards a slightly older audience as well (like 12+). A lot of people also seem to believe based on what I've seen that the "Super is a kid's show" argument means that the writers can be as lazy as they want because for some reason "kid's shows" shouldn't have any standards. Well, like Bansho64 said, kids aren't that dumb.

I think Toei does know their audience, and judging by the show it's definitely not anything above 7. which is even worse because instead of inspiring the next generation with well woven story-production they're instead providing them with an obstacle with this horseshit. They're teaching them, indirectly, that these are acceptable standards of story telling. I remember watching justice league, batman TAS, and even shows like Hysteria and Pinky &a the brain as a child and I know for a fact the level of craftsmanship from people who actually gave a fuck about the story they were presenting left a very deep impact on me in terms of my creativity. They weren't incredibly deep but we're well constructed and deep enough to actually have meaningful story arcs. Super just cobbles up a bunch of shit, give excuses because Toei this and production schedule that and get it's just a cartoon - but man i would NOT expose my kidsron this shit except only after they've gotten a taste of what a real show can be.

PeanutSaiyan
Banned

Post by PeanutSaiyan » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:24 pm

^typos galore, posting this from my phone.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:31 pm

Roronoa-pt wrote: People need to understand that Super will never live up to Z or the original Dragon Ball
Not really, it depends on how you look at it. For me, Super far surpasses Z with better writing, pacing and characters. But many others can find many aspects quality very in different ways. No one should be resigned calling it worst no matter what. What people do need to accept is that "It's not as good as Z" isn't a bad thing. it doesn't need to be as good as it's predecessor, it simply needs to be good.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017