Super Episode 103 (13 August 2017)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Super Episode 103 (13 August 2017)

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:04 am

Really loved the episode. 17 once again was a boss. Loved the fight scenes, though was it me, or did the animation get wonky during the Gohan and Piccolo fights?

Poor Gowasu. Haven't seen him that disappointed since his GodTube account got copyright claimed.

NEP once again proves I'm terrible at predicting. Gonna be interesting to see why he's using God instead of Blue since he's already been using Blue throughout the Tournament.

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:14 am

First off, next episode looks AWESOME! Finally the return of SSG and a tag team with Hit and Goku. I can't wait.

The episode itself was just ok for me. Nothing really too great. I liked the Goku and 17 interactions in this episode. Kinda disappointed in how easy that dude was for Piccolo. The guy Gohan fought had a pretty cool ability and I liked the visual effects. Fight itself was very meh. The locket with the picture of the guy and his wife and kid was such a dumb cliche but I guess it did the job well and got the point across. And during that serious moment when Gohan turns around, he just has the dumbest look on his face. I hate those eyes they give him. Surprised that neither Goku or Vegeta mentioned one word about Zamasu. Oh well.

I feel like this episode could have been much better had the entire episode just been focused on Gohan and his fight with Obuni. Like if they really fleshed out that character well enough for 20 minutes and then have him erased after that. Would have made much more of an impact for both Gohan and us, the viewer.
Last edited by Asura on Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:19 am

Honestly the "ATATATATATATATATATA" after everyone attacks is getting really annoying.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:23 am

Dbzfan94 wrote:Honestly the "ATATATATATATATATATA" after everyone attacks is getting really annoying.
Z also had them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1zC5kk ... tu.be&t=3m

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:28 am

perucho1990 wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:Honestly the "ATATATATATATATATATA" after everyone attacks is getting really annoying.
Z also had them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1zC5kk ... tu.be&t=3m
I don't think as much though. It was like 20 times this episode alone. but it may be because I'm more of a dub fan and hearing that gets really grating after a while.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:33 am

precita wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote: -Did anyone notice Gohan going ultimate? I know, I nearly missed it too. He might as well have burped to power up. It was the equivalent of Tien or Krillin powering up. No dramatic music, earthquakes, or even a change of pace. The battle just repeated the same afterimage, punch punch nonsense, only Gohan could endure a punch in the gut now. Goodness, they should NOT have revealed his ultimate form in that recruitment episode. The scene there should have been reserved for the tournament in a sequence where he is getting his ass beat, and he should have subsequently single-handedly taken out 5 Universe 10 guys on his own. That would have been much cooler.
What? Why should there be a big dramatic scene for Gohan going Ultimate again? Now it's just a transformation, there would be no big deal. I find this complaint bizarre, having the recruitment episode to see him unlock it again rather than it just randomly happening now was a great idea.
A. Because it's cool.
B. Every other character gets dramatic sequences.

It's not rocket science. Every single time Goku goes SSJB, his godly theme plays and everyone becomes dazzled. I bet you the same thing will happen in the next episode when he goes SSJG. Kale had a dramatic transformation, despite us already seeing the form beforehand. Golden Frieza will probably get a cool sequence too. Gohan got the short end of the stick, as usual. We hadn't seen him transform since the tournament began. It could have been pretty cool, like when Goku first went SSJ against Android 19 and 20, or against Pikkon. Nothing too over-the-top, but just enough to create some presence.

And I think you misunderstood my other point. I meant, the very sequence in which Gohan unlocked his ultimate form should have been used for the tournament instead, only have him "need" it due to losing against enemies while Piccolo watches and yells at him to recall that power and awaken the real him. I think that would have been really cool. Way better than them practically relegating it to just a regular kiai like the humans...
There was plenty of emotion in that scene, and Gohan had a close up of his face looking at it twice, along with him clenching his fists and Piccolo looking on. You have some bizarre double standards when you say something doesn't happen when it goes.

I also imagine as more and more universes go, we'll continue to get more sad scenes or Gohan being bothered by this.
I mean, there was emotion, but it felt forced and empty, kind of like they're telling you, "hey, this scene is sad; look, you know that guy that was just introduced in this episode and had no backstory? He had a family. Please, feel bad for him." There's a lot more impact when you're actually emotionally invested in a character, even if they're just introduced for one or two episodes. It's hard to make anyone care for a character that was just introduced, but if this guy had a family, they could have used him as a parallel/foil for Gohan to remind him of the gravity of the overall situation WHILE they fought, developing Gohan's character in the process. Also, there's the fact that Gowasu was a part of this, but the guy was basically a background still for the whole arc, despite his relevance in the previous storyline.

Case in point, yes, there's emotion. Of course there is. It's hollow, but it's there. Some viewers will feel genuinely and astoundingly sad watching it. But the scene, along with the entire episode, could have been so, so much better given the events that unfolded. It's very blatant when you watch a product that is passionately made or the creators have immense pleasure creating, and something that is rushed to production with little care. Can anyone argue that Super isn't the latter?
Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote: -So Universe 10 just perished. You know, the only other universe we knew about prior to this tournament. Why was there hardly any emotion in this scene? Throwing in a little locket, reminding us of the obvious, didn't add to the fact that this was all so garsh darn hollow. Gohan was staring at it like, "Damn. That sucks...oh well, let's go Mr. Piccolo." Gohan's battle against Tournament Contestant #34 was a good opportunity to create a connection with said character that could have made all of this so much more impacting. In any other anime, this would have been the cue for Talk No Jutsu to be used against Zeno, or at least yell "Noooo!!!".
I hate that shit, so glad that they didn't do that. Gohan didn't need to say or do anything in that scene. This isn't Naruto. You don't need a character to go on some righteous monologue for 5 minutes about what's bad. That was one of the many reasons why I dropped Naruto.

And there was a connection between Gohan and that Universe 10 warrior. Both had families. Both had something to fight for. In the end, Gohan was the one that won. Plain and simple. That was enough for me.
Yeah, the talk no jutsu was a joke. But realistically, by now, someone should be calling Zeno out or pleading.

How is that a connection? Remember that bat guy that Frieza scared off the ring. He had a family too. And those Wolf guys? They had cubs they were raising! Oh wait, I'm wrong? Cause the show didn't specifically tell me that in the form of family pictures they left behind?

I'm sure most of the fighters have families. This one's was just hamfisted to the audience to remind us of the obvious and make us feel bad.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Metrite
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Metrite » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:45 am

Now universe 6 and 7 have both lost a single fighter. At the rate things are going you'd expect them to both still have half their team left by the time most other universes are gone.

And with Gohan having actually done something, every team member has (or at least helped) eliminated somebody. Though Tenshinhan and Roshi have had the least attention of all. I wonder if they'll end up getting full on fights at some point.

Next weeks episode should be called "Battle of Gods part 2: God Goku vs Beerus lookalike!" :lol: You know, from a marketing perspective, it never seemed like a good idea to permanently get rid of ssj red- er, god. I figured it was only matter of time before it appeared again like it has in the manga. I'm not really expecting any explanation at all. If all the nitpickers are lucky, maybe a miracle will happen and Goku will say something like "I can use this power without transforming if I try, but it is just easier to flat out transform, to which I normally just go all out with Blue, but this will help me save stamina." To which Whis could go, "I keep telling them they'd achieve great things if they weren't so reliant on transforming. Oh well, bums will be bums." But don't count on it. I'm sure a ton of folks will be whining and moaning about this being a major plot hole that makes no sense. :shh:

SirTorra
Beyond Newbie

Post by SirTorra » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:45 am

This episode sucked. In regards to ep104 it seems dyspo isn't taking hit 1on1 but instead it'll be 2on1. Hit just won't notice that dyspo is getting help and that'll be when goku sees the little blue guy setting traps or whatever. We all know goku likes fair fights so he'll intervene to make things even. Atleast thats my take.

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:48 am

Episode was okay. Goku's counterattack on Rosie was by far the best moment of the episode for me. Next episode seems a lot more interesting and I'm quite excited for it.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:51 am

fadeddreams5 wrote:
Yeah, the talk no jutsu was a joke. But realistically, by now, someone should be calling Zeno out or pleading.
Part pf the light-hearted, not serious tone. Blood and serious wounds aren't the only things that get cut, they'd probably think seeing characters cry, plead and get desperate would be too much.

Though to be fair, DB always had a bad habit of glossing over moments that should've left a bigger impact.

As for the episode itself, it was okay. Piccolo had a neat moment. Didn't seem like Rubald was giving him that much trouble, but I've stopped trying to keep up with power scaling, so who knows.

It was nice to see a bit of the old 17 back. Honestly, I was disappointed when they introduced him as this now no-nonsense, dead pan dude whose too cool to care about stuff.

julianix
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by julianix » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:59 am

Is nobody going to give love to the only credible universe 10 fighter?

I thought he performed very well. Seemed like an honorable warrior, with a pretty awesome technique.

avasatu
Beyond Newbie

Post by avasatu » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:07 am

What I liked:
- 17 being a troll.
- Super confirming what I've known and been preaching for months. Goku is letting his guard down in purpose.
- Goku fodderizing Rozie with a clever ki attack.
- Obni, both in character and ability.
- Gohan vs. Obni.
- U10 angel's reaction to U10's erasure
- THAT ENDING. Excellent choice on the director's part. U10 was so much more innocent than U9. Made it tougher to see them go.

What I disliked:
- The 17 vs Ribrianne fight was meh. No interesting choreography that I can recall, though I need to rewatch.
- Rozie's Scattershot prior to Hellzone Grenade. Just the Hellzone Grenade would have been more impactful, and would have triggered the nostaligia much more effectively.
- Some of the animation was weird.
- Gohan vs Botamo was fine...in concept. The problem is there was no crescendo. Gohan's punches should have been shown increasing in speed constantly, until there was just an invisible flurry created a huge air pressure/wind current. Couple this with some actual intensification of the score, and it would have been a fine scene. Instead it was merely insistent upon itself.
- Personal qualm, but I wish Ultimate Gohan would have not grimaced when receiving Obni's blows. Ultimate Gohan is MASSIVELY stronger than base. They made it seem just "kinda" stronger here. We are never really told if Gohan actually can hold back in Ultimate form, but by the very definition of the form, it seems unlikely. Maybe SS would have been better, though I know he wants to avoid that.
- I was wishing for a little more "oomph" from Gohan's transformation.

Really enjoyed the episode. While the quality of ToP episodes has varied, I haven't disliked one yet. Last week's was close, but there were too many redeeming moments. This week's episode keeps the hype train moving. And don't even get me started on next week's! HYPE!

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheOne » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:11 am

The more I see how the mortals react to the erasing, the more I feel like some form of rebellion against the dieties will be the final arc in Super. Maybe if Frieza wins and makes the wishes, we can see the start of it.

Underwhelming episode overall. I wasn't too happy to see Gowasu go though :/

Seems like everyone's attention is on next weeks episode
How i predict the tournament will end:

Nekis13
Regular

Post by Nekis13 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:13 am

First Half of the Episode was fine. Some cool animation with Goku and 17 is still the greatest.

Second half though, was way better. Gohan vs Botamo was kinda iffy but whatever. Obuni was a cool dude, Tate was on fire with that fight.

Glad they saved the drama and just gave Gohan a moment of silence for Obuni and his family. Really, the look says it all.
stay edgy

DeviantArt Thing: Drawings and stuff, also Dragon Ball

Drellz26
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Drellz26 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:18 am

Wow man...I'm really sad at Universe 10 being erased. I'm not even a big fan of any of them but the second time around there's this feeling that the tournament really just isn't right.

Obuni was really interesting, he would've been a cool movie villain.

So we can officially stop paying any attention to the bystanders saying fighters let their guard down now right? Proved wrong twice this episode.

Super Saiyan god return. Just tell me why and how please. Looks GREAT though. Red + Time Skip :thumbup:

Username2016

Post by Username2016 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:35 am

Episode had rather lackluster animation for the last half of the episode.

At least piccolo had some screen time even if it was short because really, the tournament is supposed to be full of all the strong guys (or gals) so of course Goku, Gohan, Vegeta, Frieza and Andriod 17 are gonna get majority of screen time.

Obunis' family and whole universe just got destroyed which is depressing, but at least the fighters all took it like a champ(a).

But forget about this episode, the next episode is where the fun will finally begin (or at least the quality will go up). But there's so many questions like how did Goku get SSG again? WHY is he using SSG when SSB has better ki control, and is more powerful? WILL THE NEP HAVE GOOD WRITING AND GOOD ANIMATION? I can not wait for the next episode. We. Need. Answers.

Okora

Post by Okora » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:37 am

I feel bad for universe 10. They took their defeat with respect too. They accepted it. They didn't blame anyone else for what going to happen.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:38 am

fadeddreams5 wrote:
I mean, there was emotion, but it felt forced and empty, kind of like they're telling you, "hey, this scene is sad; look, you know that guy that was just introduced in this episode and had no backstory? He had a family. Please, feel bad for him." There's a lot more impact when you're actually emotionally invested in a character, even if they're just introduced for one or two episodes. It's hard to make anyone care for a character that was just introduced, but if this guy had a family, they could have used him as a parallel/foil for Gohan to remind him of the gravity of the overall situation WHILE they fought, developing Gohan's character in the process. Also, there's the fact that Gowasu was a part of this, but the guy was basically a background still for the whole arc, despite his relevance in the previous storyline.
I'm not sure what you're expecting then, the emotion worked just fine for me. You're right that we don't know these other fighters enough to care about them as individual characters, but the fact that we know they're fighting for their loved ones and their very existence is enough in itself. Many of them have families and kids, which is something people forget given most of these fighters look like animals or monsters or creatures or whatever.
Username2016 wrote:Episode had rather lackluster animation for the last half of the episode.

But forget about this episode, the next episode is where the fun will finally begin (or at least the quality will go up). WILL THE NEP HAVE GOOD WRITING AND GOOD ANIMATION? I can not wait for the next episode. We. Need. Answers.
The animation in the second half of the episode looked fantastic. You guys are asking for GOOD animation? I can't see anything about the later half of this episode especially that looked bad especially in motion.

Turambar
Beyond Newbie

Post by Turambar » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:41 am

I was thoroughly entertained and excited. There were some good cuts in this episode. Some of the art was off, and I hate Gohan's short hair. Other than that, this one gets a thumbs up from me. Oh...Goku quoting 17 after his fight was a little weird. I do hope that the English dub cleans up some of these things.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:46 am

This episode was meh. Okay, first off the positives. Tate Naoki's drawings are so appealing and even though it is not even close to his best work, it still makes its mark. Piccolo looked very nice which is rare. I hope he gets more time to work on his next episode though. I need some Tate cuts with solid impact.
Ribrainne was again very cute. I'm liking Kitagawa Rina's performance. Her battle screams are nice. And, Cus was also cute. Yeah, that's it.

The negatives. I'm once again reminded how terrible the battle royale setting is. Gokuu and Piccolo are standing around freely admiring Gohan's fight like nothing. But, this problem is cause of the limitations of a TV production and that too DBS which is much worse in terms of scheduling and production, so I guess I will have to let that slide.

Gohan's strategy to eliminate Botamo was one of the lamest and facepalming strategies I've ever seen. Punch even harder. Yeah, what a great thing you did there Gohan. Also, Botamo why the fuck did he not use his hands when Gohan was pushing him back? Did he forget he has hands or am I missing something? Either way, he is a moron and waste of space.

Helles can fuck off with her irritating pose. Oh, and Gokuu dropped his guard aaaaagain.

Was I supposed to care for Universe 10? Cause, I didn't. Just like Universe 9. Lack of focus on any of these characters is the reason. Some build up was needed. Also, the music lacked any kind of emotion for me to feel for that family U10 dude. I felt a little bad for Cus though cause of her expression.

And, last the direction was not good. This episode should've been told from a single character focus, but that wasn't the case. The reuse animation tricks while helpful for the production needs to be toned down just a little. And, the episode director had no quirks which I found engaging. I'm not sure if the director even has a style to begin with. So, meh. Tate did fine and saved this episode from being entirely bad, but not enough to make it good. I hope he is paired with a better director next time.
Last edited by Saikyo no Senshi on Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.