Super Episode 106 (3 September 2017)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Super Episode 106 (3 September 2017)

Post by Noah » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:51 pm

That was a good episode, I was about to curse at Toei but they handled Tenshinhan just fine this fine.

- I thought Dr. Rota was the shorty mustache guy from U4 lol

- Do we have a count of how many times Piccolo losed his arm in battle? It must had surpassed Z :problem:

- I never would expect a Sniper in this tournament, really well done as his reflection skill :thumbup:

- Rock thrown was a smart move from Vegeta, him co-op with Goku was also nice this time.

- Tenshinhan did well, I'm glad he had an active role in eliminating the guy behind the Sniper

- Love how Vegeta gave 0 f**ks to Dr. Rota intending to show his special abillity :lol:

- NEP indicates that Roshi will be finally eliminated... By Frost, maybe? I'm invested!
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:58 pm

Mmmmm.... I dunno how to react to this episode. While I like that Tenshinhan was the one that took out the sniper, I am a bit sad that he really didn't have a lot of screen time in this tournament. What can ya do. Looks like Roshi's out next next week too...

I think Jiren and Toppo are prolly gonna be the ones knocking out U6 and U7 eventually (personally, the number one fight I want to see atm is Jiren vs Hit).

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:59 pm

precita wrote:At least we know Piccolo is safe in the tournament until he starts fighting those two Nameks from U6. Otherwise I'd be worried that Piccolo had such a poor showing, but he still has time yet.
Silly precita, these namekians will not fight with Piccolo, they will fight with Goku and Vegeta :P
Boo Machine wrote:If they really wanted to show off Gohan as team leader, then the perfect time would be to have him make all the observations that Piccolo made. Instead it was really just having Gohan follow Piccolos lead. Gohan being leader thing better pay off, but there is always that possibility that it just doesn't mean much.
Exactly. I don't think Gohan deserves being the leader of U7 as Whatever said he was always a brute fighting wise and in a battle of fighting smarts he is outclassed.
Torturephile wrote:Tenshinhan summed up Super as "Don't worry. Goku and Vegeta will take care of the enemy!"
The funny thing that this is sad, but also true :lol:
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:59 pm

I never expected Universe 6 to have a fodder character, but Dr. Rota was that. He's easily the weakest Universe 6 character based on what we've seen, why did Champa even want him?

You have Hit who is God power, three Saiyans, Frost is decently powerful, Botamo has that absorbtion ability from hits, Magetta has the heat power, and the two Nameks are bound to be strong or at Piccolo's level.

MegaBossMan
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MegaBossMan » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:04 pm

One of my biggest grievances with last episode happens to remain with this episode; it's made a point that the Earthlings' strength rely on their tactics and their tricky techniques, but.... it's really just been what we've seen from Z? All of Master Roshi's techniques last episode was something we've seen in Dragon Ball, Tenshinhan failed to provide any new twists, and the next episode implies Roshi will just be doing the Mafuba again? I was half-expecting them to do a fake-out with Tenshinhan's elimination with there being a fifth clone hiding under the rocks somewhere, tweaking the original limitations of the move. I just want to see something new, Super! Reinvent the characters' strength, returning attacks, by their definition, add nothing new to the character.
By jove, I've got nothing important to say!

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:05 pm

Did anyone else notice how incredibly awkward the direction was in this episode? Nothing "flowed" well, and almost every scene was just awkwardly paced and cut. Even the placement and pacing of the dialogue seemed extremely uncomfortable and just...strange. It's hard to put into words, but it was distracting as hell for me.

Fresh Prince
Beyond Newbie

Post by Fresh Prince » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:10 pm

Crack Theory:

[spoiler]Really interested in the NEP, what if that Baby like creature has the powers like Baby and possesses Dyspo.[/spoiler]

This episode wasn't that bad. I enjoyed it, but it's not the best of the arc, the best so far is 105.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:11 pm

Artorias wrote:Did anyone else notice how incredibly awkward the direction was in this episode? Nothing "flowed" well, and almost every scene was just awkwardly paced and cut. Even the placement and pacing of the dialogue seemed extremely uncomfortable and just...strange. It's hard to put into words, but it was distracting as hell for me.
The only odd thing for me is the first half of the episode focused on Gohan/Piccolo, but then they did nothing for the rest of it and it focused mainly on Goku/Vegeta and Tien.

Sandubadear
I Live Here

Post by Sandubadear » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:13 pm

Whyyyy is Dr Rota called doctor????????? Toei better update the Super website with an explanation.

Hamira and Prum have a good dynamic, but the episode direction in general was not that good, could have been better.
"The life is the hardest video games of ever. Because you have only one life and the powers are kinda lame. And sometimes a stage takes years"

"The life is a game, the objective of the game is trying to find the objective of the game, and then, finish the game"
--by Ranely Jr

時空の主/齊天大聖
Lazy Xenoverse characters: Kuriza, Neko Majin Abra

Tombstone1988
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tombstone1988 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:17 pm

Things I Liked:

-The first half of this episode somewhat reminded me of the sniper scene from Saving Private Ryan, and I love that movie. I dug it.
-The implementation of strategy in this episode (creating smokescreens, melting rocks to mask body heat, using the multi-form as a defensive tool) was awesome.
-This episode, like episode 104, had a clear focus, beginning and ending with the sniper duo. I can appreciate when Super does that, since it doesn't always manage to do so.

Things I'm Mixed On:

-Thanks Grand Priest, I'm glad your reused animation was there to explain what a sniper is! :lolno: In all seriousness though, I do find scenes like this important because it helps remind me who the target audience for this show really is (a.k.a. Japanese kids from ages 6-16).
-I appreciate that you're trying to make Piccolo look smart Toei, but at the same time, Gohan isn't an idiot. And this episode really didn't make Gohan seem all that bright.
-Apparently Vegeta's Galick Gun for this episode looked so good, the staff thought it best to re-use the animation three times in the same episode!

Things I Disliked:

-I'm sorry Toei, but Namekian regeneration doesn't work like that. There's a reason Piccolo didn't regrow his arm during his fight with Raditz and had to stall Cell after he drained his arm. I get it, having Piccolo lose his arms represents the threat the snipers pose, but you can't just rewrite pre-established DBZ rules to showcase this. Consistency Toei, please.
-For this point, I'm not sure if was just an issue with the specific video I watched or a problem with the episode itself, but the audio was quite strange. For example, at one point (approximately 6 minutes, 53 seconds into the episode) the show had a short visual clip of Prum (the blob guy) laughing, but no sound played. It was really bizarre.
-Goku and Vegeta felt shoehorned in to the second half of the episode. Gohan and Piccolo were the main players of the first half of the episode, then suddenly Goku and Vegeta come in to save the day. I know, I know, Goku's the protagonist, but he doesn't need to be in every episode. Give other characters their time to shine.
-It feels really strange to go from last week's episode, where Roshi was made to look amazing, to this episode, where Tien barely manages to bring one opponent down with him. Tien has gotten such a major shaft in this arc, especially when you consider how much they built up and glorified guys like Roshi. Also, if Krillin could casually fire a Kamehameha to bring himself and 18 back into the ring, why couldn't a slowly descending, non-impaired Tien fire a ki blast to propel himself back up to the ring?

Overall, I'd agree with precita in that this episode wasn't bad, but was certainly mediocre. The first half with Gohan and Piccolo dealing with the sniper fire was quite interesting to me, but the moment Goku and Vegeta took the helm I basically lost interest. Having Tien give such a bad showing in this tournament when Roshi had three wins practically given to him by the writers last episode was also bizarre. I think the second half of this episode could have been done better, but I don't think this is anywhere near the worst episode of the arc. Compared to the second half of episode 100 or the first half of episode 102, this episode was fine. Compared to episode 104, well... let's just say there's room for improvement.
"If you notice this and understand that it's flawed and just don't let it bother you, that's perfectly fine. But enjoying a flawed movie and calling a movie flawless are two completely different things."

-Adam from YourMovieSucksDOTorg
(Replace "movie" with "DBS episode" and that's pretty much my thoughts in regards to DBS critique)

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:21 pm

This episode was ok & boring,a downgrade compared to 105 but not the worst one because the first half was decent with the ability of sniper used really well but is ridiculous & pathetic that gohan still needs piccolo,he hasn't shown to be a competent leader hell piccolo felt like the leader because he was coming up with the strategy
    Tien was cool I guess,thats all I can say,he never interest me ,I didn't liked the second half as much as the first one
      Lastly what was rota ability, I'm disappointed that he got wasted.Overall this episode was meh,I have nothing else to say
      Last edited by The gr on Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
      Mostly active on discord.

Animelover5487
      Beyond Newbie

Post by Animelover5487 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:22 pm

Kataphrut wrote:Did anyone notice at the start of the episode it looked like Gohan had taken some damage from Dr Rota? Like, we never got to SEE his gimmick, but he was actually somewhat powerful.

That's commitment to a bit.
      What are you talking about? Gohan never even fought Dr. Rota, hence why Rota was boasting about his ability to him and Piccolo before being shot down.

namekiansaiyan
      I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:25 pm

The gr wrote:This episode was ok & boring,a downgrade compared to 105 but not the worst one because the first half was decent with the ability of sniper used really well but is ridiculous & pathetic that gohan still needs piccolo,he hasn't shown to be a competent leader hell piccolo felt like the leader because he was coming up with the strategy
        Tien was cool I guess,thats all I can say,he never interest me ,I didn't liked the second half as much as the first one
          Lastly what was rota ability, I'm disappointed that he got wasted.Overall this episode was meh,I have nothing else to say
          Piccolo should be the leader and that is why he looked competent and Gohan did not.
          Animelover5487 wrote:
          Kataphrut wrote:Did anyone notice at the start of the episode it looked like Gohan had taken some damage from Dr Rota? Like, we never got to SEE his gimmick, but he was actually somewhat powerful.

That's commitment to a bit.
          What are you talking about? Gohan never even fought Dr. Rota, hence why Rota was boasting about his ability to him and Piccolo before being shot down.
          At the start of the episode Gohan was on his knees and Piccolo said are you ok to him and Dr Rota was standing in front of them, so it is implied Gohan got hit by Dr Rota

Pkjoan

Post by Pkjoan » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:47 pm

Whoever wrote this episode should be fired.

Ziegander
          Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ziegander » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:48 pm

None of the characters this episode looked good, it was really sad. I guess at the beginning the Reflect character looked good, and Piccolo showed some smarts but they didn't actually amount to anything. Ugh. This was seriously one of the worst for me, was not a fan.
          My Full Rewrite of the Moro Arc

I've begun a full-scale re-write of the Tournament of Power! Here's Ch. 1, here's Ch.
          , and here's Ch.
          3!

dbzfan7
          Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:50 pm

Well...there was a little Tenshinhan Vegeta....but not really.....yeah another stinker in a mediocre arc. It really does feel like the Universe 6 arc all over again. Practically entirely forgettable except for the very end where for a moment it should feel awesome.
          Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

avasatu
          Beyond Newbie

Post by avasatu » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:53 pm

This might be one of the few episodes of Super that I have to say I disliked.

It's a shame, too, because it was an excellent concept, and it wanted to play off of the teamwork aspect we've been lacking, but it just didn't have any intensity.

I thought I was going to LOVE it during the first 3-5 minutes, too. I'd be ok if whoever wrote this particular episode didn't write any more of them, that's for sure.
          Last edited by avasatu on Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BWri
          I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:55 pm

Damn. Goku and Vegeta ruined my enjoyment of this episode. They really didn't need to be there. Their presence not only lessens the impact of Tien's contribution, but it makes Gohan and Piccolo look completely useless. And I wanted to see what Dr. Rota could do. Screw you Vegeta!

**edit I feel like I should add what I liked about the episode as well. I liked the beginnning with Piccolo and Gohan dodging the sniper fire (hated that Piccolo was getting tagged like crazy protecting Gohan), and I liked that Tien got some spotlight and used clever strategy. Everyone had some clever moments in the episode, like Piccolo's dust distraction and heating up the rocks. I just wished Piccolo and Gohan did the heavy lifting since they've gotten so little screen time already.
          Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Jigurashi
          Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:23 am

Funny, I found Goku and Vegeta's part of the episode the only entertaining part of it. Them throwing rocks was genuinely funny to me. Ten getting a decent performance but negated by getting a trash elimination doesn't help his case. Overall meh episode. Last episode was fantastic. Don't know why they write Roshi well overall for the saga, but treat Ten like garbage.

Since Ten's eliminated, my opinion of his character this saga: He was a major disappointment. Treated like pure shit since episode 83 and his best showing was this episode, where he moronically stops to shit talk his opponent instead of just eliminating him and getting caught off guard and trolled. He was forced into a situation to where the best he could get was a draw because he was being a dumbass. This saga could have restored two things for me with Ten: 1) Him being an interesting character to me. 2) Him being entertaining to watch fight. Neither of those were restored. I haven't enjoyed any of his fights this saga, Toei really dropped the ball with him and I honestly don't even think it's just Toei, I don't think Ten will get much even in the manga. I don't think anyone writing for Super gives much of a shit about him, but you know, that's just my guess I could be wrong. He was horribly misused this saga and benched without any real redemption to his character.

Asura
          I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:24 am

First off, this was a really ugly episode. Goku and Vegeta were incredibly off point and at times looked like they belonged in a moe anime.

This episode was pretty bad. Worst of the tournament? Not sure about that but it's certainly up there. As Artorias pointed out, the direction and flow of this episode was terrible. The scenes felt awkward and felt like they just didn't flow well from one to the next. Goku and Vegeta throwing rocks was incredibly fucking dumb. Why exactly couldn't they have just jumped up and started punching the crap out of him? Tenshinhan got his moment to shine and at least Beerus was pleased enough with him, but it ended pretty quickly and wasn't all that impressive. I don't really care at all about Tenshinhan though so it doesn't matter. Also, the Piccolo protecting Gohan thing needs to stop. So does the regenerating arms. Piccolo is literally just "tired old tropes: the character". Seriously, enough already.

I don't really have much else to say about this episode, just bad all around honestly. Next week doesn't look that exciting either, but I'm glad that multiple universes are FINALLY fighting each other at once. Although it seems to be the main universes of U6, U7, and U11. Bleh. I hope Jiren actually does something, seriously show us his strength already make him do something.

I don't think the theory about the knock-out order will come true as it almost definitely seems like Roshi is going to get KOed next episode. There's no way he'll survive the same thing twice. Kind of a shame that the prediction order would be that predictable so far with the 3 weakest members going out first. Would have been interesting if it was shaken up a bit instead where at least one of them lasts quite long.