Do you guys think they should've done regular tournament?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

pacz360
I Live Here

Do you guys think they should've done regular tournament?

Post by pacz360 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:20 pm

this arc has it hit and misses but do you think should've just done a regular tourney than a battle royal cause honestly it seem like they bit more than they could chew

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Re: Do you guys think they should've done regular tournament?

Post by dbzfan7 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:24 pm

YEEEEEEEES. This was way more than they could handle. Merely having a tournament be 1 on 1 or tag team from 2 on 2 to maybe 3 on 3 to not bloat things. Would have been a much better idea, as well as making plot developments easier to handle while other universes fight each other so important ones can happen on screen, and unimportant stuff off screen while plot develops else where.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:37 pm

Nah, the current tournament is fine. All they really had to do was show the other universes fighting each other more, and not have Goku in every episode, but other than that it's been fine.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:45 pm

No, because we already had Champa's tournament. The only way for this tournament to stand out it's by making something new. A battle royal is a good idea and gives room to all fighters of the main cast to shine.

I'm not interested in Super going the DB route, where in 153 episodes there are 4 tournaments and 3 of them have the same format.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:55 pm

I wanted them to go full Hunger Games, not this messy middle ground.

Or at least made a more interesting tournament ring to look at. It's like we're stuck in never-ending overcast.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:32 pm

Team battles with 2 uni at a time are the way to go instead of the mess were getting
Last edited by The gr on Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mostly active on discord.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:48 pm

The execution has been mediocre. I'm not sure if I would have wanted yet another retread of cookie-cutter tournament style duels, but something with this current Tournament of Power just seems to be lacking. It's failing to measure up to the principles of what this event is about and how it should operate. The studio seems to be calling on old familiar elements to try and compromise with something that should have been grander in its execution.

Shinda Forever
Temporarily Banned

Post by Shinda Forever » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:59 pm

I wanted the tournament to work like in the exhibition battles against universe 9. The battle royale model sucks and it was rushed most of the time. So far it had one good episode, Hitto vs Dyspo and Kunshi evertyhing else has been a rushed mess.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:01 pm

No. I like the battle royal aspect, I just wish the episodes weren't so dragged out and the structure didn't feel so damned linear.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:05 pm

Eh. I'm on the fence. While this tournament might not have been as messy if it was DT style, that also doesn't really guarantee we'd even get to know most of the fighters anyway. I mean hell in DT itself we barely got to know anyone or see anyone fight if they weren't fighting Team Urameshi. ToP is very hit or miss at times, but overall I've been enjoying it despite its massive flaws.

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Totamo » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:11 pm

No because we already had a regular tournament and if super did it again people would say they are retreading same ideas.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:32 pm

No we just had one. Actually we shouldn't even get a tournament by this point, not only we just had one, soon there will be another tournament... The current one is "fine" for what it is.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Zagacious
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zagacious » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:58 pm

Yes, because then they wouldn't have started wasting characters so much and rushing things by eliminating people so fast that we don't even care what their cool abilities are. They wouldn't have made unfair fights purposely just to rush the tournament along like Goku and Hit toying with fodder people then one shot KO'ing them. We might as well have only had 5 fighters from each universe, because even less characters than that are actually being utilized in any way.

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:47 pm

Zagacious wrote:Yes, because then they wouldn't have started wasting characters so much and rushing things by eliminating people so fast that we don't even care what their cool abilities are. They wouldn't have made unfair fights purposely just to rush the tournament along like Goku and Hit toying with fodder people then one shot KO'ing them. We might as well have only had 5 fighters from each universe, because even less characters than that are actually being utilized in any way.
Having a different tournament (like say DT style which would need to be the case to fit having 80 fighters as well), there'd still be no guarantee that characters wouldn't be wasted.

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:49 am

Yes, but only because 1v1 is my preference by far.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:16 am

Yes, a regular tournament with less characters per universe as in 3-4. The regular tournament would give the animatiors room for good choreographed fights and less characters would mean more developed ones.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:25 am

I think I'm more in line with the people who think the current battle royale is a fine idea, but has just been super lacking in execution.

I think a better question would be, would people be fine with this set-up if it was better executed?

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Totamo » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:28 am

sintzu wrote:Yes, a regular tournament with less characters per universe as in 3-4. The regular tournament would give the animatiors room for good choreographed fights and less characters would mean more developed ones.
So people would then cry about the saiyans getting all the shine, because you know 10 members are the only reasons the humans are even here

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:25 am

Totamo wrote:So people would then cry about the saiyans getting all the shine, because you know 10 members are the only reasons the humans are even here
In that case they'd have to have multiple arcs leading up to the torunament that builds everyone up. It could have easily been done cause the franchise will most likely go on forever so there was no lack of time to do it.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.