What if Vegeta's UI is...?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KingKaash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

What if Vegeta's UI is...?

Post by KingKaash » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:02 am

What if Vegeta's UI is the offensive side of UI? In Episode 117, when Vegeta goes on the offensive against Katopesla, Whis states that the offensive attacks are more suited for Vegeta. Before that, Vegeta was trying to awaken UI within himself. So would you find it interesting if Vegeta learned how to attack on instinct while Goku is able to defend on instinct? As we all know, Goku manages to defend himself from almost any harm but using UI to dodge almost any attack but he struggles to focus an attack with being in UI. So therefore, Vegeta would be able to attack almost anyone but be so focused on attacking that he'd leave himself open on defense. I think it'd be an interesting way to have Vegeta keep pace with Goku without exactly copying him. But I didn't think Vegeta needs to unlock a new technique here in the ToP with all that's going on.
"Gohan, let it go. It is not a sin to fight for the right cause. There are those who words alone will not reach. Cell is such a being. I know how you feel Gohan, you are gentle, you do not like to hurt. I know because I too have learned these feelings. But it is because you cherish life that you must protect it. Please drop your restraints. Protect the life I once loved. You have the strength, my scanners sensed it..." -Android 16

Avenant
Beyond Newbie

Re: What if Vegeta's UI is...?

Post by Avenant » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:28 am

If this is true, it would be a good setup for Vegetto.
"Tell me, is it slavery if you get what you want?"

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:56 am

They'd balance each other in a team fight, goku would defend vegeta while vegeta would attack for goku.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:57 am

sintzu wrote:They'd balance each other in a team fight, goku would defend vegeta while vegeta would attack for goku.
Vegetto would be crazy strong..

Although, I think whis meant Vegeta is simply better off fighting like he usually does right now, punching stuff really hard
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

TBMx
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TBMx » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:23 am

Ki Breaker wrote:
sintzu wrote:They'd balance each other in a team fight, goku would defend vegeta while vegeta would attack for goku.
Vegetto would be crazy strong..

Although, I think whis meant Vegeta is simply better off fighting like he usually does right now, punching stuff really hard
Whis was all like, remember your place Vegeta. That of the useless jobber. Don't get any ideas.

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:34 am

There's no reason to attack Goku if Vegeta can't defend himself. It'd be as stupid as an AI in a video game ignoring your caster they can one shot to instead attack your unkillable tank.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:21 am

It's a silly idea. So Jiren is going to punch at Goku who can't inflict any damage while Vegeta punches him?

Also Whis already stated the offensive side is much harder to master.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

TBMx
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TBMx » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:38 am

Vegeta would be able to defend himself just fine.

This is how Attack UI would work for Vegeta as this is likely Toriyama's inspiration behind the form:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0_LnvJrLo4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyGQdzv-5kk

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:49 am

Simere wrote:
There's no reason to attack Goku if Vegeta can't defend himself. It'd be as stupid as an AI in a video game ignoring your caster they can one shot to instead attack your unkillable tank.
Both of course would be able to attack and defend but with each being better at one than the other it'll make a team fight interesting as each will make up what the other isn't perfect at.

Vegeta could attack in ways Goku couldn't while Goku would defend against attacks Vegeta wouldn't see coming.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:41 am

TBMx wrote:
Vegeta would be able to defend himself just fine.

This is how Attack UI would work for Vegeta as this is likely Toriyama's inspiration behind the form:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0_LnvJrLo4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyGQdzv-5kk
When the opponent expands, I contract. You're ignoring the defensive foundation before the attack. Every dodge, every parry, every block, every slip is a defensive movement before the opportunity to hit presents itself. You can't attack if you can't defend.
sintzu wrote:Both of course would be able to attack and defend but with each being better at one than the other it'll make a team fight interesting as each will make up what the other isn't perfect at.
Talking about Jiren, The only way Goku can defend against him is because of UI. You can't have Vegeta defending in any way against Jiren without UI.

TBMx
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TBMx » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:47 am

Simere wrote:

When the opponent expands, I contract. You're ignoring the defensive foundation before the attack. Every dodge, every parry, every block, every slip is a defensive movement before the opportunity to hit presents itself. You can't attack if you can't defend.
No I'm not. If you can attack in the right spot everytime and with perfect timing, which is the only thing UI attack could conceivably be, then you can defend yourself by hitting them before they connect with their attack, and intercepting energy beams with your own.

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:56 am

TBMx wrote:
Simere wrote:

No I'm not. If you can attack in the right spot everytime and with perfect timing, which is the only thing UI attack could conceivably be, then you can defend yourself by hitting them before they connect with their attack, and intercepting energy beams with your own.
Rather than argue that those are defensive actions you would need so-called "defensive UI" for, I'll instead point out that there would be no need for "defensive UI" if you can use your "offensive UI" to defend(but not "defensive UI" defend, :lol: ) against every incoming attack.

TBMx
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TBMx » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:10 am

Simere wrote:
TBMx wrote:
Simere wrote:

Rather than argue that those are defensive actions you would need so-called "defensive UI" for, I'll instead point out that there would be no need for "defensive UI" if you can use your "offensive UI" to defend(but not "defensive UI" defend, :lol: ) against every incoming attack.
The line between defence and attack is blurred anyway. When Goku skids on the kamehameha to get in the perfect position to shoot it point blank, That's using UI to attack and defend. IF Vegeta got UI attack, (I don't think he will get anything at all cos, y'know, Toriyama.) It won't be a strict divide between defence and attack, just like it's not right now, when Goku uses it. It won't be the case that Vegeta becomes defenceless against very strong opponents, just like it isn't the case that Goku's incapable for effective attacks against very strong opponents with UI defence.

It's fine to give Vegeta nothing at all - but actually have it change him as a person. Instead of the usual damn you kakarot, or I'm still the best, or I'll master it better than you - or whatever. It's tiresome. Nobody, but nobody believed him when he said he will master it first. In fact it'd be more appropriate to insert a laughter track at that moment.

Kaiosama
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kaiosama » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:17 am

Vegeta will not be getting UI in this tourney. They just used him as a gag this last episode :lol:

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:32 am

TBMx wrote:The line between defence and attack is blurred anyway. When Goku skids on the kamehameha to get in the perfect position to shoot it point blank, That's using UI to attack and defend. IF Vegeta got UI attack, (I don't think he will get anything at all cos, y'know, Toriyama.) It won't be a strict divide between defence and attack, just like it's not right now, when Goku uses it. It won't be the case that Vegeta becomes defenceless against very strong opponents, just like it isn't the case that Goku's incapable for effective attacks against very strong opponents with UI defence.
Yes, quite blurred; that's why I argue breaking UI up into separate parts of a whole only makes surface level sense. Saying it'd be more like "emphasized offense" is better...but still runs contrary to the concept, and wouldn't naturally force them to team up like the two halves idea.
It's fine to give Vegeta nothing at all - but actually have it change him as a person. Instead of the usual damn you kakarot, or I'm still the best, or I'll master it better than you - or whatever. It's tiresome. Nobody, but nobody believed him when he said he will master it first. In fact it'd be more appropriate to insert a laughter track at that moment.
Your cynicism keeps producing great ideas for belittling Vegeta. I think I'll go add that laugh track myself.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:33 am

TBMx wrote:
Simere wrote:
TBMx wrote:
The line between defence and attack is blurred anyway. When Goku skids on the kamehameha to get in the perfect position to shoot it point blank, That's using UI to attack and defend. IF Vegeta got UI attack, (I don't think he will get anything at all cos, y'know, Toriyama.) It won't be a strict divide between defence and attack, just like it's not right now, when Goku uses it. It won't be the case that Vegeta becomes defenceless against very strong opponents, just like it isn't the case that Goku's incapable for effective attacks against very strong opponents with UI defence.

That's the whole reason Goku used the Kamehameha. It was the only attack he could unconsciously charge while in the state of UI. In other words the only attack he could use in UI. He WAS using it offensively and defensively that was the entire point. He could use his defensive UI with an attack that didnt require any thought more or less.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:39 pm

More than likely Goku will get "both aspects" of UI in time for his second bout with Jiren. Vegeta will get UI off-screen for the next saga at some point.

TBMx
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TBMx » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:27 pm

GodKaio-Ken wrote:
TBMx wrote:
Simere wrote:

That's the whole reason Goku used the Kamehameha. It was the only attack he could unconsciously charge while in the state of UI. In other words the only attack he could use in UI. He WAS using it offensively and defensively that was the entire point. He could use his defensive UI with an attack that didnt require any thought more or less.
He managed to knee Jiren and land the hit clean because of the offensive abilities of the transformation. He could never land a clean hit in any other form.

KingKaash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KingKaash » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:23 pm

Jigurashi wrote:More than likely Goku will get "both aspects" of UI in time for his second bout with Jiren. Vegeta will get UI off-screen for the next saga at some point.
Ultimately I think this will be the outcome. The off-screen part would be lame though. I kind of hoped we'd see SSJG Vegeta in the ToP since we'd never seen it before but that probably won't come to fruition
GodKaio-Ken wrote:
Also Whis already stated the offensive side is much harder to master.
True Whis did say attacking while in UI is more difficult
"Gohan, let it go. It is not a sin to fight for the right cause. There are those who words alone will not reach. Cell is such a being. I know how you feel Gohan, you are gentle, you do not like to hurt. I know because I too have learned these feelings. But it is because you cherish life that you must protect it. Please drop your restraints. Protect the life I once loved. You have the strength, my scanners sensed it..." -Android 16

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:51 pm

Jigurashi wrote:More than likely Goku will get "both aspects" of UI in time for his second bout with Jiren. Vegeta will get UI off-screen for the next saga at some point.
Yeah that sounds like the most probable thing to happen indeed.