Are you tired of this tournament?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Re: Are you tired of this tournament?

Post by namekiansaiyan » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:48 am

Every character I cared will be out by next episode apart from Toppo who will get beaten in his first proper fight anyway so I can't wait for this arc full of wasted potential to finally end.

When will Dragon Ball stop wasting its characters?
Last edited by namekiansaiyan on Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:01 am

It's been a good arc, but they could've used the time better. I'd use Goku less, fix the power levels, and spent more world building in the recruitment episodes. They had 20 episodes but most of it was on Earth showing us things we knew.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:08 am

kinisking wrote:It's been a good arc, but they could've used the time better. I'd use Goku less, fix the power levels, and spent more world building in the recruitment episodes. They had 20 episodes but most of it was on Earth showing us things we knew.
All 3 of thise thinhs were very easy to do. Using goku less is easy and all they meed to do with power levels is to have lines like Gohan did in episode 118. There was definitely many pointless recruitment episodes.

Thr world buioding is Toriyama's fault for not giving information about the characters and universes.

All we got was that the Pride Troopers are basically superheroes, Caulifla and Kale are apart of a gang along with Saonel and Pirina being fused with other Namekians and Universe 2 is obsessed with love for some reason.

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:39 am

I've enjoyed the content of this tournament but I agree that the pacing hasn't been great. It has gone on too long now, and I am ready for the climax.

I put the problems of this tournament down to two things - fan appeasement and being too ambitious.

There was a discussion in another thread about people being annoyed that most of the other fighters are "fodder" and they didn't like seeing universe 7 doing so well. Part of this will be due to fan service, like seeing Krillin, Tien and Roshi again, and U7 having a lot of eliminations. In pretty much every Dragon Ball tournament I can think of you get a selection of throwaway characters who either disappear, or only reappear in filler scenes. They've approached this tournament in the same way, but they have been far too ambitious. They have 48 minutes to deal with the majority of 80 characters, so the number of "throwaways" is multiplied.

I may be wrong in all that, but that's just how I'm looking at it. All of hat being said, I find there are a pretty large number of characters I won't forget in a hurry. I'm looking forward to seeing where we go from here.
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:45 pm

Bullza wrote:
majinwarman wrote:
Bullza wrote:Not at all. I haven't enjoyed Dragon Ball this much since the Cell arc.
Really?! Are you one of those people who don't like the Buu arc?
No I liked it, I wasn't sure on it when I first saw it but it's grown on me. I don't think it has the same level of enjoyment and entertainment that we have right now though.
Cool, I never really like the Buu arc myself. I agree that this arc is better than the Buu saga. Though the Internet is pushing that this arc is a bad arc and that Super can't have a good arc. Which I personally believe to a incorrect opinion.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

IntoTheFire
Beyond Newbie

Post by IntoTheFire » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:07 pm

Surprisingly, not really. I thought I would be bored by now as I got bored with Universe 6 arc and generally don't care much for tournaments but I still find myself invested. It could also be the fact that we seem to be approaching the climax and I am too curious to see the order of eliminations and who ends up on top.
He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:34 pm

Not really, tournaments are my favorite part of Dragon Ball and I'm glad we've gotten two so far including this huge TOP. :D

3 if you include the exhibition.
Last edited by DragonBallKing on Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:47 pm

DragonBallKing wrote:Not really, tournaments are my favorite part of Dragon Ball and I'm glad we've gotten two so far including this huge TOP. :D
My favourite arcs in shonen are tournaments but when all characters I like get kicked out I just can't care anymore.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:49 pm

namekiansaiyan wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:Not really, tournaments are my favorite part of Dragon Ball and I'm glad we've gotten two so far including this huge TOP. :D
My favourite arcs in shonen are tournaments but when all characters I like get kicked out I just can't care anymore.
Who would that be? I had hoped Tenshinhan would have lasted longer as well, as he's become a big favorite for me.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:56 pm

DragonBallKing wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:
Who would that be? I had hoped Tenshinhan would have lasted longer as well, as he's become a big favorite for me.
Piccolo, Tien, Roshi, Krillin. Half of Universe 6. Trio de Dangers. I wanted Buu and Yamcha to participate. I also like Toppo and I like Jiren a little.

One of my favourites is Hit and I thought I would at least have him to watch near the end of the tournament.

It is basically Toppo left for me and he has done nothing so far.

I just do not like Saiyans and never cared for the Androids apart from 16 who will not come back.

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:40 pm

At the moment, as I'm watching week to week, I'm thoroughly enjoying it. BUT after it's all said and done, I have no doubt when we look back that this arc will not be fondly remembered whatsoever. It's all style and no substance, which works on a raw "hype" level in the moment, but that hype quickly fades away as the time goes by, and you're left with an empty, lifeless husk of a "narrative".

Hell, even the special has begun to show signs of this for me. Leading up to the special, and while I was watching it live, and talking about it online that whole week, I was thrilled beyond belief. But now, it honestly doesn't really stick out to me as this amazing classic piece of Dragon Ball that I initially thought it was. It's a cool fight, an AMAZING fight even, but nothing more. There's really nothing else to it. So while I definitely will always have fond memories of how I felt in the moment when it was airing, and the collective hype we were all sharing, at the end of the day, that special doesn't hold a candle to the classic DB/DBZ moments, or hell, even the heights of the Future Trunks arc. And I feel that's how this whole tournament is going to be remembered. A giant clusterfuck with a bunch of big dumb action with no narrative or soul.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:51 pm

namekiansaiyan wrote: It is basically Toppo left for me and he has done nothing so far.

I just do not like Saiyans and never cared for the Androids apart from 16 who will not come back.
You never cared for Goku/Vegeta/Gohan ever? Also this arc should make people big fans of 17 and 18, their development and handling is the best its ever been.

The_Destroyer
Regular

Post by The_Destroyer » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:08 pm

namekiansaiyan wrote:Every character I cared will be out by next episode apart from Toppo who will get beaten in his first proper fight anyway so I can't wait for this arc full of wasted potential to finally end.

I feel the same way. Piccolo and Katopesla are my favorite characters and they're dopping out in the same episode(unless katopesla saves himself with a moduh changuh into Aerial mode and flies away).

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:09 pm

precita wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote: It is basically Toppo left for me and he has done nothing so far.

You never cared for Goku/Vegeta/Gohan ever? Also this arc should make people big fans of 17 and 18, their development and handling is the best its ever been.
I used to be neutal towards Goku and Vegeta but not anymore and I have never liked Gohan as you can tell from my posts in the past.

I hate 17 as he thinks he is mr perfect and I can't wait for that face of his to be punched in and 18 to me has nothing special about her at all. She doesn't even have a signature attack that I can remember.

You all know I am a huge Piccolo fan but I am also a huge fan of the Earthlings as well and was one of the people before the tournament defending all 3 of their inclusions.

Seeing all 4 of them on the bench will nust going to annoy me. I genuinely thought Piccolo would outlast both Androids.

As I mentioned in my Post I am also a big Hit fan and I thought if everything goes bad then he would still be in.

You can now tell why I stuggle to enjoy the show sometimes. I can't just magically like Goku and Vegeta a lot and I just watch for the characters I like.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:04 pm

majinwarman wrote:Cool, I never really like the Buu arc myself. I agree that this arc is better than the Buu saga. Though the Internet is pushing that this arc is a bad arc and that Super can't have a good arc. Which I personally believe to a incorrect opinion.
They are? From what I've seen people seem to really be enjoying this saga with the exception of the characters like Ribrianne.

If you look at the poll on this page.

http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

The current saga is far and away the most popular one in Super.

The first three sagas I didn't think we're up to DBZ standards but the Future Trunks saga was and this current one....yeah I'd say it's probably up there with the Frieza and Cell sagas as the best ones.

Asura

Post by Asura » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:36 pm

Artorias wrote:At the moment, as I'm watching week to week, I'm thoroughly enjoying it. BUT after it's all said and done, I have no doubt when we look back that this arc will not be fondly remembered whatsoever.
I highly disagree with this. Once this arc is finished, it will definitely be fondly remembered. Not for the plethora of issues in its first half, but definitely for its second half which has been wonderful so far. This is the best Super has ever been, and I guarantee after this arc you won't be seeing all 10 of the U7 fighters being useful or given any screen time ever again, so I'm sure that the arc will be fondly remembered for even just that reason alone.

If you want to talk about a narrative clusterfuck, that would be the Future Trunks arc. Retcons, ass pulls, timeline shenanigans that make no sense, unexplained power-ups, entire arc is literally going back and forth between present and past over and over again. Of course, the Future Trunks arc will be fondly remembered for the great moments it had, but I don't think anyone's going to look at the arc as a whole and go "Wow, what a narrative masterpiece that was." I'm definitely not saying someone would do that with the ToP arc, but just saying, the FT arc isn't some sort of cherished masterpiece. I also heavily disagree with your comment about the special not even holding a candle to moments in the Future Trunks arc, let alone in DB/DBZ. The special will definitely be something remembered and cherished for a long while, and I guarantee the finale will be the same way. I highly doubt people are going to forget the incredible art, animation, and Goku's first awakening into Ultra Instinct.
majinwarman wrote:Though the Internet is pushing that this arc is a bad arc and that Super can't have a good arc. Which I personally believe to a incorrect opinion.
Is it really the internet, or is it just Kanzenshuu? Because the vast majority of the bitching and moaning I've seen about this arc being a supposed catastrophe is here. Negative voices always speak the loudest, but they don't always represent the majority. For example, you see bitching about Kale and Caulifla everywhere on this site, but in the poll I made here asking for people's opinions on the characters, the vast majority either liked both of them, didn't care either way, or liked one and not the other.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:41 pm

Asura wrote:
Artorias wrote:At the moment, as I'm watching week to week, I'm thoroughly enjoying it. BUT after it's all said and done, I have no doubt when we look back that this arc will not be fondly remembered whatsoever.
I highly disagree with this. Once this arc is finished, it will definitely be fondly remembered. Not for the plethora of issues in its first half, but definitely for its second half which has been wonderful so far. This is the best Super has ever been, and I guarantee after this arc you won't be seeing all 10 of the U7 fighters being useful or given any screen time ever again, so I'm sure that the arc will be fondly remembered for even just that reason alone.

If you want to talk about a narrative clusterfuck, that would be the Future Trunks arc. Retcons, ass pulls, timeline shenanigans that make no sense, unexplained power-ups, entire arc is literally going back and forth between present and past over and over again. Of course, the Future Trunks arc will be fondly remembered for the great moments it had, but I don't think anyone's going to look at the arc as a whole and go "Wow, what a narrative masterpiece that was." I'm definitely not saying someone would do that with the ToP arc, but just saying, the FT arc isn't some sort of cherished masterpiece. I also heavily disagree with your comment about the special not even holding a candle to moments in the Future Trunks arc, let alone in DB/DBZ. The special will definitely be something remembered and cherished for a long while, and I guarantee the finale will be the same way. I highly doubt people are going to forget the incredible art, animation, and Goku's first awakening into Ultra Instinct.
majinwarman wrote:Though the Internet is pushing that this arc is a bad arc and that Super can't have a good arc. Which I personally believe to a incorrect opinion.
Is it really the internet, or is it just Kanzenshuu? Because the vast majority of the bitching and moaning I've seen about this arc being a supposed catastrophe is here. Negative voices always speak the loudest, but they don't always represent the majority. For example, you see bitching about Kale and Caulifla everywhere on this site, but in the poll I made here asking for people's opinions on the characters, the vast majority either liked both of them, didn't care either way, or liked one and not the other.
This arc might be looked back on as good but I also feel it will also be known as the arc with the most wasted potential as it had the most potential. Based on the concept of Dragon Ball and this arc it should be the mkst like in the whole franchise.

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:32 am

Asura wrote:

It's all going to come down to the climax, and whether or not the universes all get brought back. If either the finale is a shitshow like the FT arc and/or they bring back the universes, this arc will have accomplished nothing and will not be remembered fondly. I just don't see it happening. It's completely fine if you personally differ, but I think the general opinion within the fandom will be a resounding "meh" when it's all said and done.

It's hard to tell how it will compare to the FT arc I suppose, but I still maintain that the heights of the FT arc were higher than anything from this tournament. Episodes 56 and 57 are some of the greatest episodes in all of Dragon Ball. This arc doesn't really have anything like that to me. Again to be clear, I think almost every episode of this tournament has been thoroughly entertaining, but I think the whole is LESS than the sum of it's parts in this case. It's a weird feeling that's difficult to codify into words, but that's what I truly believe.

BWri

Post by BWri » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:44 pm

namekiansaiyan wrote:Every character I cared will be out by next episode apart from Toppo who will get beaten in his first proper fight anyway so I can't wait for this arc full of wasted potential to finally end.

Sadly, I 100% agree. I think for the ending they should've really surprised us with who lasted to the end and now until the climax it really does feel like filler. I hope the episode summaries are false and that Toei is trying to surprise us. And another point about the wasted characters, I really hate the predictable formula of character eliminations in this tournament. So far only 18 has escaped the "have one cool (or mediocre in Tien's case) moment then get eliminated" curse.
kinisking wrote:It's been a good arc, but they could've used the time better. I'd use Goku less, fix the power levels, and spent more world building in the recruitment episodes. They had 20 episodes but most of it was on Earth showing us things we knew.
Pretty much this. Too much Goku and too much Kale & Caulifla. For the Saiyans to be such a small percentage of the overall combatants, they sure did take up a lot of screen time ... except for poor Cabba and until recently even Gohan couldn't get screen time.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

puar
Beyond Newbie

Post by puar » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:56 am

i will be much more invested once universe 3 will be out cuz i know for a fact they gonna be just some fodder trash like anyone else. the moment where universe 7 and universe 11 are all thats left is when i will get excited for the tournament again cuz it will mean we passed all the fodder trash and then we will actually have time to interesting match ups like vegeta vs toppo. i also want to androids to be eliminated quickly cuz they got their spotlight enough now. so basiclly in short the one i want to get the spotlight is vegeta i want him to be the focus and have a long battle. on the down side. the arc ending in march so we will not get enough time for vegeta to shine in