Pirating Dragon Ball (discussion)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

alakazam^
I Live Here

Re: Pirating Dragon Ball (discussion)

Post by alakazam^ » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:00 pm

There are several reasons: For "fairness", personal interests, keeping the order, etc. They are still made up rules for how to live in society.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:13 pm

SuperCyan2 wrote:They won't use it because they have their pride and refuse to use something that was provided by fans. Something as important as the JPN BA needs the approval of the parent Japanese company.
Robo4900 wrote:Second, Toei have let Funimation do two HD Blu-Ray releases of Z.
One was cancelled very early and the second is plain shit.
Did you even read my post?

See here:
Robo4900 wrote:Much as we fans generally don't like the "Season" sets, Toei seems to approve of them, and they approved of the much-loved Levels too. And yet, Toei don't have any HD release of their own out for anything before Kai. If Toei were concerned about Funimation having a superior product for audio, video, or whatever, they wouldn't have let them do it in HD.
In theory, the fact Kai was in HD, and Funi have only done BDs of the Z series so far kind of works as an argument, except that Kai has top-quality audio on the Japanese side, and Funi's Blu-Rays contain cleaned-up Japanese audio for Z anyway. If Funimation having superior audio to Toei's releases was a concern, but Kai makes the HD video not a concern, then surely Kai's high-quality audio makes the audio not a concern? But if that wasn't the case, if the audio was a concern, Toei wouldn't have let Funimation put cleaned-up Japanese audio on their BDs; they would have insisted on keeping it as muffled and distorted as the raw Dragon Box audio.
Third, sure, Funimation's releases have been a bit crappy recently in terms of video, but aside from some issues with the style of redubbing of the Remastered dub(Which is largely down to opinions anyway), and some mixing issues in the dub tracks from the Season DVDs and the original Z DVD singles, the audio has always been pretty much top-notch. In particular, the BD vesion of the Japanese is rather nicely cleaned-up. No reason to believe they won't continue to do their best with the audio side.
As an additional note to this, the way you're phrasing this seems to put audio to some sacred high-ground that video for some reason doesn't enter into; it's no controversial statement to say the first BD release was pretty close to perfect. If Toei took issue with this at all, the release wouldn't have got off the ground in the first place. If Toei don't approve of something, what happens isn't that it gets released and then gets cut short, what happens is it simply doesn't see the light of day. So, if you're so intent on pushing this narrative that Toei somehow are afraid of the BA being on Funi's releases, explain the HD releases.
And, as I say, Toei seem very proud of Funi's current HD release. Your argument simply doesn't stand up.

And no, the idea that Toei are too prideful or whatever doesn't stand up in this case either. We don't know why Toei refused the audio, so presuming something like that is just silly. Knowing Toei, they simply didn't care. Remember, Toei have the master tapes for GT, which contain the stereo master audio for the show, and yet they simply didn't bother to use it on the GT Dragon Box. If they couldn't be bothered to put audio they already have on there, I highly doubt they would bother to sync up the broadcast audio. It's most likely a case of them just not caring.
But, even this is just assumptions being made based on prior experience. There's no way to truly know, so don't throw around stuff like that as if it's a concrete fact; that's how stupid rumours like "Vegeta's last name is Breigh" or "Akira Toriyama likes the Funimation dub" get spread around.
alakazam^ wrote:There are several reasons: For "fairness", personal interests, keeping the order, etc. They are still made up rules for how to live in society.
Indeed. The law, particularly copyright and general media law, is seriously in need of updating for the modern age, but yes, we do need laws.
Last edited by Robo4900 on Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:16 pm

alakazam^ wrote:There are several reasons: For "fairness", personal interests, keeping the order, etc. They are still made up rules for how to live in society.
Fairness falls into the realm of ethics.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:36 pm

Robo4900 wrote:Did you even read my post?
The fact that FUNimation does "HD" releases of Dragon Ball Z is beyond the point. You're confusing things here between the JPN BA and a remaster.

FUNimation will never get the approval. That's the point.
Account no longer in use since 03/31/2018.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:31 pm

SuperCyan2 wrote:The fact that FUNimation does "HD" releases of Dragon Ball Z is beyond the point. You're confusing things here between the JPN BA and a remaster.

FUNimation will never get the approval. That's the point.
The Funi HD releases being allowed are absolutely the point, but even if it wasn't, you still clearly haven't read my post...

Look:
Robo4900 wrote:And no, the idea that Toei are too prideful or whatever doesn't stand up in this case either. We don't know why Toei refused the audio, so presuming something like that is just silly. Knowing Toei, they simply didn't care. Remember, Toei have the master tapes for GT, which contain the stereo master audio for the show, and yet they simply didn't bother to use it on the GT Dragon Box. If they couldn't be bothered to put audio they already have on there, I highly doubt they would bother to sync up the broadcast audio. It's most likely a case of them just not caring.
But, even this is just assumptions being made based on prior experience. There's no way to truly know, so don't throw around stuff like that as if it's a concrete fact; that's how stupid rumours like "Vegeta's last name is Breigh" or "Akira Toriyama likes the Funimation dub" get spread around.
And again, on top of everything I say in the above quote(I've even highlighted some parts of particular interest, if you still are intent on not fully reading what I'm saying), why would the video remaster be any different from the broadcast audio?
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:23 am

ABED wrote:Fairness falls into the realm of ethics.
Sure but that's why focusing on that doesn't help the issue because it's all subjective.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:31 am

alakazam^ wrote:
ABED wrote:Fairness falls into the realm of ethics.
Sure but that's why focusing on that doesn't help the issue because it's all subjective.
I have no idea what you are looking to get out of a discussion about piracy if ethics isn't part of it. It's inherent in the issue.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:33 am

ABED wrote:
alakazam^ wrote:
ABED wrote:It doesn't. Ethics comes before legality. What do you think the issue is about fundamentally?
Making it illegal and enforcing the law can make it stop, thinking it is wrong does nothing.
But why would you make something illegal?
If you didn't have rules the world would be a free for all.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:42 am

sintzu wrote:
ABED wrote:
alakazam^ wrote: Making it illegal and enforcing the law can make it stop, thinking it is wrong does nothing.
But why would you make something illegal?
True, and ethics is implied in your response.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:52 am

ABED wrote:
sintzu wrote:
ABED wrote: But why would you make something illegal?
True, and ethics is implied in your response.
Of course ethics is important ad it goes into making these laws.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.