Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Re: Official "DB 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:37 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:I guess a worldwide release could mean that maybe Toei and Funimation work out something out. It feels too early to me for the movie to get a English dub so soon since I would imagine Funimation would want to hear the Japanese voices first before they can dub it with a proper script.
We know the movie has a healthy production time so they could send over materials in time for a WW dubbed release.

KinguKurimuzon
Beyond Newbie

Re: Official "DB (Super) 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by KinguKurimuzon » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:49 pm

I really hope that global release happens. I missed the boat on seeing Battle of Gods and Resurrection 'F' in the theaters (I'm pretty sure they never played up here in Canada), so it'll be a blast to go see Dragon Ball on the big screen with my friends for the first time.

Also I just realized, doesn't Disney have the film rights to Dragon Ball now? I'm still not entirely sure if the deal with Fox went through. It'll be really weird to know that Disney is producing a Dragon Ball film of all things.
"Are you trying to impress me with your transformation sequence?" - Mashymre Cello

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:00 pm

Hey! We’ve been moved! Lol cool
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:06 pm

Description of villain so far

Saiyan
Male
Kale-esc skin shade
One bang (as far as we know)
SSJ4-esc eyes
Green aura
Saiyan armor with green core area
Saiyan armor wrist-bands
Green fur cloth wrapped around waste
Purple pants
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:10 pm

As possible ideas.

1) One I've already stated, this guy is the origin of super saiyan. Not the first but the one from whom the power would originate, becoming more diluted and controllable down the generations with the odd throwback cropping up now and then. He's come to earth purely becuase he senses powerful saiyans and wants a challenge. how he's still alive after all this time is anyone's guess.

2) The Saiyan that destroyed U7's Sadala in the ancient passed. Possible this and idea 1 are one and the same being.

3) An acient saiyan who was once an enemy of Yamoshi. Sensing Saiyan God Ki, which is tied to Yamoshi, he's come to earth seeking his old enemy only to find Goku and co. Again this could be blended with the other ideas.

Edit:

4) A being who came into existence or was resurrected becuase Goku wished to fight someone stronger then Jiren using the Super Dragon Balls.
Last edited by Lord Frieza on Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:14 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:So the worldwide release is legit? If so, great. :thumbup:
I agree! Even if we might not get a dub in our countries, I would have no problem in watching subbed on the theaters
AnimeNation101 wrote:Description of villain so far

Saiyan, Male, Kale-esc skin shade, one bang (as far as we know), SSJ4-esc eyes, green aura, Saiyan armor with green core area, Saiyan armor wrist-bands, green fur cloth wrapped around waste, purple pants
Again: this is just a teaser, so that might be not his final design, but I would like them to stick with the Ice Fields for the battle scenario, it's appealing and we only got a few time on the series (Muscle Tower, Movie 2 and Movie 7)
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:26 pm

I can pretty much guarantee that this'll be the highest grossing Dragon Ball film ever just based on the possibility that it's going to be a world wide release. The anticipation from the end of the current Super arc all the way to this new movie will be insane.

Toei are really making smart decisions.

Helios518
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Helios518 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:41 pm

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:I can pretty much guarantee that this'll be the highest grossing Dragon Ball film ever just based on the possibility that it's going to be a world wide release. The anticipation from the end of the current Super arc all the way to this new movie will be insane.

Toei are really making smart decisions.
Probably the first time someone said that in a long time :lol:. But I agree, a world wide release will do nothing but benefit this film.
Why I use "Geran" instead of "Jiren"

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:46 pm

Lord Frieza wrote:As possible ideas.

1) One I've already stated, this guy is the origin of super saiyan. Not the first but the one from whom the power would originate, becoming more diluted and controllable down the generations with the odd throwback cropping up now and then. He's come to earth purely becuase he senses powerful saiyans and wants a challenge. how he's still alive after all this time is anyone's guess.

2) The Saiyan that destroyed U7's Sadala in the ancient passed. Possible this and idea 1 are one and the same being.

3) An acient saiyan who was once an enemy of Yamoshi. Sensing Saiyan God Ki, which is tied to Yamoshi, he's come to earth seeking his old enemy only to find Goku and co. Again this could be blended with the other ideas.

Edit:

4) A being who came into existence or was resurrected becuase Goku wished to fight someone stronger then Jiren using the Super Dragon Balls.
5) Yardrats and Tuffles aren’t the only things Universe 2 has in common with Universes 6 and 7. It turns out that deep in U2 a Saiyan of great power is lurking who, unlike most of the universe, isn’t all lovey-dovey and is more savage (which is why Helles didn’t recruit him. Due to his lack of beauty I guess). He somehow gets word of the events of the Tournament and hears about the incredible power of the saiyans. Perhaps, since U6 saiyans have different anatomy than U7 ones, U2 ones have different anatomy from U6 and U7 saiyans which explains the SSJ4 looking eyes and green arua. Possible a form unique to U2 saiyans.

I started off with this as a joke but I actual think this could be possible and kinda makes more sense than any other theory i’ve heard.

I mean, if we go by Chekov’’s Gun, the fact that Toriyama went out of his way to give U2 a Yardrat and Tuffle should be set up for some story point sooner or later and this would be it.

Toriyama is a known troll so he doesn’t necessarily follow the rule all the time but he did for the Zeno button.

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:55 pm

I have requests!

1. More theaters please! Resurrection F consistently sold out due to low theater counts.
2. DCP please! The screening I attended for Resurrection F was blu-ray quality. Please provide the distributor with a proper DCP. (As a projectionist myself this drove me crazy!)
3. Subbed screenings please! With the exception of the premiere the previous movie's theatrical run was dub only. Dragon Ball may be more popular in English but there are still a ton of fans that prefer the Japanese version and I for one would be very happy if this was an option, especially considering that virtually every other anime that gets North American screenings provides a subtitled version.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:14 pm

Interesting. Very interesting. The animation looks pretty fluid, the art style...my first impression was that it seemed a bit childlike so I'll have to get to use it but I'm sure I will.

The villain being a Saiyan...haven't we had enough of that? Vegeta, Broly, Turles, Black, Caulifla and Kale, how many do we need?

It being released worldwide on December 14th? That one would exciting if true. I always expected that this would be more successful at the box office than the previous two movies regardless because of the success of Super but if it can release everywhere close together, in more countries and with more screening then I still think there's potential for a Dragon Ball movie to make $100 million I really do.

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:19 pm

Something that's important to note is that anything to do with the English release will be decided by Fox, since they'll be distributing it. So if it's dub only, don't go storming the Funimation headquarters with pitchforks and torches.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

STH
Not-So-Newbie

Post by STH » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:23 pm

I think he is new villain;

(Dragon Ball Legends Trailer;
https://youtu.be/sL1aH6exacA )
Melkaniator wrote: "DBS anime is a fan service series that delivers irrelevant dialogue, inconsistent writing, and lazy designs.

The DB manga never had so many mistakes, nor those were this constant."

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:32 pm

STH wrote:I think he is new villain;
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

What's the reasoning behind a videogame character being this new movie villan?
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:34 pm

Damn a worldwide release, that is a smart move from I'm curious to see how this fare in comparison to the other movies in December.
Mostly active on discord.

STH
Not-So-Newbie

Post by STH » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:40 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

This new character was designed by Toriyama.

And his armor is the same as in the movie trailer;
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Melkaniator wrote: "DBS anime is a fan service series that delivers irrelevant dialogue, inconsistent writing, and lazy designs.

The DB manga never had so many mistakes, nor those were this constant."

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:44 pm

That Dragon Ball Legends character was designed by Toriyama?

Is the armour the same? The armbands are a different colour, there's no white in the above picture. The fur around the waist isn't in the above picture.

I'd kind of hope it wasn't because the Saiyan in the Legends pictures looks generic.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:45 pm

STH wrote:
Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

This new character was designed by Toriyama.

And his armor is the same as in the movie trailer;
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
No similarity

The skin color is different. The villain from the teaser has purple pants and a green cloth wrapped around his waste. He also has SSJ4 type eyes. Also, his armor has a green core in it like U7 Saiyan armor but the guy from DBLegends has U6 type clothes.

Ilikepictures-meh
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ilikepictures-meh » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:46 pm

I hope they stick with that art style shown in the teaser going forward. Love the simplicity of the look, and keeping it with a simple art style allows them to be more fluid with the animation, and would likely lead to overall better animated fights.

CriticalThinker
Beyond Newbie

Post by CriticalThinker » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:56 pm

I'm fine the villain, antagonist, whatever he ends up being, being a saiyan I just hope to high heavens he doesn't turn out to look like Goku when he's officially revealed.