Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by ZeroNeonix » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:16 pm

Speaking of music, remember when the English dub of Lord Slug used Disturbed's music? lol. Honestly, if we got a new Disturbed song in the Broly movie, I'd be pretty happy about it. Dragon Ball and rock/metal go well together.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:30 pm

ricky84 wrote:
Bergamo wrote:
ricky84 wrote:
Common sense suggest that Vegeta always had SSG. You need SSG in order to become a SSB in the first place, since SSB is merely what happens when a SSG goes SSJ (as stated in RoF). That's why SSB was originally call super saiyan god super saiyan.
Clearly not. Goku and Vegeta were shown to have obtained the form after they held in their ki.
What do you mean by "held in their ki"? We never actually see the first time they ever'd transform into it. We are only told in RoF that SSB is simply a SSG going SSJ.
In the anime they generate god ki by sealing their leaking ki inside their bodies and increasing it, or something like that. It's the same principle as MSSB in the manga. Whis teaches it to them in the RoF pre-arc training and they flash blue the first time they do it. Vegeta's comments inside Whis' staff in episode 22 indicate they'd never used god ki before that. Goku says he has the powers of a Super Saiyan God when he's explaining it to Frieza later so it seems like that's when/how he re-learned how to use SSG. "It's a little confusing and hard to explain but I'm a Saiyan with the powers of Super Saiyan God who is Super Saiyan."

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:50 pm

Bergamo wrote:
ricky84 wrote:
Bergamo wrote: There's nothing that suggest that Vegeta had it, because SSGSS isn't obtained by powering up in SSG in the anime, but instead it's a form obtained through holding in your Ki.
Common sense suggest that Vegeta always had SSG. You need SSG in order to become a SSB in the first place, since SSB is merely what happens when a SSG goes SSJ (as stated in RoF). That's why SSB was originally call super saiyan god super saiyan.
Clearly not. Goku and Vegeta were shown to have obtained the form after they held in their ki.
the verbatim describing SSB obviously implies that SSG is a prerequisite.

SSG= God Ki
SSB= SSJ+God Ki

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:05 pm

I really hope Toei actually acts like a good Toei now by modifying Toriyama’s script if Blue Evo and Kaioken weren’t in there. They need to include that in the movie, otherwise the continuity is fucked up. And i don’t care about this “It’s Toriyama’s version crap excuse” the movie is an anime movie that follows the events of the ToP. Therefore, Toei should make sure these 2 evolved forms are in there. It’s for the fans. And Toei is all about an excess of transformations and fanservice.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:35 pm

I'd prefer not to see them. Keep this movie closer to Toriyama's script and just adapt it for the anime when they eventually reboot it, because they almost certainly will anyway.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:47 pm

Saiga wrote:I'd prefer not to see them. Keep this movie closer to Toriyama's script and just adapt it for the anime when they eventually reboot it, because they almost certainly will anyway.
Er... No. Enough of retellings already, I hope "Ultra" starts with a new plot, after this movie (if possible).
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:49 pm

Noah wrote:
Saiga wrote:I'd prefer not to see them. Keep this movie closer to Toriyama's script and just adapt it for the anime when they eventually reboot it, because they almost certainly will anyway.
Er... No. Enough of retellings already, I hope "Ultra" starts with a new plot, after this movie (if possible).
In a perfect world maybe but retellings seem to be getting popular so it'll most likely start with Broly which like other retellings, will be a waste of time.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

RecolorSaiyan
Regular

Post by RecolorSaiyan » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:57 pm

20 episode retelling is definitely going to happen. That 90 minutes of script they cut will be shown during the retelling

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:01 pm

Right, because fuck continuity right?? Do you realise how stupid that sounds? Fans that have watched the anime, are going to wonder where the hell those two forms are when they see this movie and know that it’s a continuation of the ToP. But apparently you’re willing to accept a fucked up continuity?

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:04 pm

Noah wrote:
Well, the chances of your preference coming to fruition are slim to none. This movie will MOST LIKELY be adapted into an Arc once Super returns. You can practically bet on it.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:31 pm

GodVegetto91 wrote:
Right, because fuck continuity right?? Do you realise how stupid that sounds? Fans that have watched the anime, are going to wonder where the hell those two forms are when they see this movie and know that it’s a continuation of the ToP. But apparently you’re willing to accept a fucked up continuity?
No, I'm not. I just expect that the anime will re-tell the events, which will make the re-telling part of the anime's continuity. Why bother making this movie align with the anime's continuity when I don't expect the anime to do the same thing?

If they stay closer to Toriyama's script this movie can be its own thing, like the BOG-RF continuity. Any continuity issues will be completely pointless when the anime resumes.

edit: Hell, the more differences this movie has from the anime's continuity, the fresher the retelling will be by adding those elements back in and differentiating it from the movie.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:10 am

PFM18 wrote:
Bergamo wrote:
ricky84 wrote:

SSG= God Ki
SSB= SSJ+God Ki
While I don't disagree, SSG was obviously never intended to reappear in the Anime. It doesn't even make sense for Goku to use SSG when his base should already have absorbed the power of the form. That's why I say that in the context of the anime and movies, it is completely reasonable to assume that Vegeta can't use SSG because he didn't do the ritual.
My explanations for the events of my favorite current manga.

DBS Manga Explained: Goku Black's Transformations

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:51 am

Bergamo wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
Bergamo wrote: Clearly not. Goku and Vegeta were shown to have obtained the form after they held in their ki.

SSG= God Ki
SSB= SSJ+God Ki
While I don't disagree, SSG was obviously never intended to reappear in the Anime. It doesn't even make sense for Goku to use SSG when his base should already have absorbed the power of the form. That's why I say that in the context of the anime and movies, it is completely reasonable to assume that Vegeta can't use SSG because he didn't do the ritual.
he didn't absorb the form itself he experienced that power and retained it in his SSJ form. Doesn't mean utilizing God ki won't still yield a boost. Both of them learned SSB so they both learned how to tap into SSG in the anime.

the movie continuity is something different entirely.

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:12 am

PFM18 wrote:
Bergamo wrote:
PFM18 wrote:

SSG= God Ki
SSB= SSJ+God Ki
he didn't absorb the form itself he experienced that power and retained it in his SSJ form. Doesn't mean utilizing God ki won't still yield a boost. Both of them learned SSB so they both learned how to tap into SSG in the anime.

the movie continuity is something different entirely.
He was equal to his strength while using God ki with normal ki, so I don't see why God ki would give him a boost. It was shown that you could learn SSB in a way that has nothing to do with SSG.

I just believe in giving credit where credit is due. SSG Vegeta was a Toyotaro original idea.
My explanations for the events of my favorite current manga.

DBS Manga Explained: Goku Black's Transformations

MisteryOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MisteryOne » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:17 am

SSG Vegeta was literally said to be Toyotaro's idea supervised by Toriyama on the interview of the manga volume. I know people love to headcanon things to make sense with how badly the anime version handled forms but we can't just ignore given information for the sake of it.
English is not my first language. Please excuse my gramatical mistakes.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:47 am

Apparently FUNi will be hosting a dub premiere a day before the film opens nationwide in... Japan! That's kinda nuts if true!

Meanwhile Toei Europe haven't done anything whatsoever............. Their website is still down (and being "fixed") it's been over a year shows how f***king competent they are! They went from being completely communicative a few months ago to now just straight blanking. Looking increasinly likely gonna have to watch a shitty cam copy /:

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:06 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Apparently FUNi will be hosting a dub premiere a day before the film opens nationwide in... Japan! That's kinda nuts if true!

Meanwhile Toei Europe haven't done anything whatsoever............. Their website is still down (and being "fixed") it's been over a year shows how f***king competent they are! They went from being completely communicative a few months ago to now just straight blanking. Looking increasinly likely gonna have to watch a shitty cam copy /:
Surely you guys are going to get the film around the same time as North America and Australia. Toei want this to be an international success, so it would be pretty stupid of them to not take advantage of all English-speaking countries once the dub is ready for theatres.

Weren't Manga UK responsible for Resurrection 'F's theatrical run in the UK? Are they going to be distributing this new movie or is Toei Europe handling it?

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:52 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:

Surely you guys are going to get the film around the same time as North America and Australia. Toei want this to be an international success, so it would be pretty stupid of them to not take advantage of all English-speaking countries once the dub is ready for theatres.

Weren't Manga UK responsible for Resurrection 'F's theatrical run in the UK? Are they going to be distributing this new movie or is Toei Europe handling it?
Well Toei Europe told me back in July that they were working with distributors across Europe to distribute the film. All communication has been cut of since. I'd assume they'd license the film out to Manga and they'd do marketing, release on home video etc. But who knows with Toei Europe they're notorious for being slow and the Toei branches don't have a good track record of communicating effectively, we had a whole second dub of DBS commissioned for example.

Deep down I've accepted us not getting the film until spring. Each pasing month it's one less month of marketing for the film and now September is almost over.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:14 am

I do wonder what the future holds after the movie.

Will there be a re-telling running alongside the manga for the anime?

Will it actually be an in-continuity follow-up?

There are downsides and upsides to both ideas, though the former obviously has some negative precedent given DBS's history of bad pre-production, not to mention that forgoing continuity is bad news bears with regards to creating a quality continuous story.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:48 am

GodVegetto91 wrote:I really hope Toei actually acts like a good Toei now by modifying Toriyama’s script if Blue Evo and Kaioken weren’t in there. They need to include that in the movie, otherwise the continuity is fucked up. And i don’t care about this “It’s Toriyama’s version crap excuse” the movie is an anime movie that follows the events of the ToP. Therefore, Toei should make sure these 2 evolved forms are in there. It’s for the fans. And Toei is all about an excess of transformations and fanservice.
How exactly them not showing up fucks up continuity?
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.