Super possibly losing its timeslot or going on hiatus in March?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Super possibly losing its timeslot or going on hiatus in March?

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:15 pm

Faisal Shourov wrote:Super is NOT ending. It's the biggest money making media franchise in Japan right now. Super ending will massively dent or erase all those revenue, which would make zero sense financially.

No anime/manga based show is making as much money as Super, not even One Piece. Super is making 2x the money of One Piece at the moment, so Super getting cancelled is a likely as One Piece getting cancelled.
One Piece was actually the best selling media franchise in Japan during 2017 but Super is still making a lot
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:46 pm

I think that date might just be a typo. Didn't the last batch of titles have 126 on the usual Sunday?

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:00 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
sangofe wrote:
Onibaku wrote: That'd be hella interesting. A change from the Sunday airs would be fresh and dope
What could it change apart from the evident? Less censoring and bigger audience?
Less censoring? Yes. We still need shirtless Goku anyway. Bigger audience?

We cant be so sure. If it really is moving to Wednesday Toei better advertise the heck out of the time slot change. More advertising than they did for the one hour special. Put commercials about the time slot change leading up to the first episode that comes on Wednesday so that the fans know when to watch it or what happened.
Wednesday evening would be early Wednesday morning for me. I like Super, but I wouldn't wake up at the crack of dawn for it (I'm not an early morning person nor will I ever be despite my efforts) so I'll start catching it on my own time like I do with the other shows I watch if that's the case and it's not a typo.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:05 pm

Xeogran wrote:New scan shows episode 126 airing on Feb 7th which is a Wednesday. Can be just a mistake.. or not :think:
Wouldn't something that big be announced by now ? I think the original 3 anime aired on that day so it's possible but I don't know why they'd want to move it away from One Piece as them airing together is a huge marketing benifit for both shows.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:08 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:I think that date might just be a typo. Didn't the last batch of titles have 126 on the usual Sunday?
You are correct! That settles that.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:35 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
BlueBasilisk wrote:I think that date might just be a typo. Didn't the last batch of titles have 126 on the usual Sunday?
Thanks. :thumbup: I couldn't remember and my device is stupid about loading images on twitter.

I don't know about ending but I do feel like something big will happen to the series after the tournament whether it's a hiatus or a rebranding or whatever. The missing episode is a curiosity (though again I'm treating that amazon listing with a grain of salt until we have a picture), but Super would also need a new OP since Limit Break x Survivor is so arc-specific and Chouzetsu Dynamic is kind of outdated. Might be a good opportunity to rebrand as DB Super Duper. :lol:

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:48 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Thanks. :thumbup: I couldn't remember and my device is stupid about loading images on twitter.

I don't know about ending but I do feel like something big will happen to the series after the tournament whether it's a hiatus or a rebranding or whatever. The missing episode is a curiosity (though again I'm treating that amazon listing with a grain of salt until we have a picture), but Super would also need a new OP since Limit Break x Survivor is so arc-specific and Chouzetsu Dynamic is kind of outdated. Might be a good opportunity to rebrand as DB Super Duper. :lol:
Speaking of ED another thing that has me it will continue is the fact UI Goku is shown with full gi that is twice now Yamamuro has drawn UI Goku in full gi. I think you maybe right in your prediction that the next arc happens immediately and that the U.S arc does lead into something. I have been gunning that the U.S arc leads into something bigger so I hope that is the case.

Amazon/Happinet listing has one episode fewer but the run time is still of 13 episodes. Deffo best to wait on that.

If the ToP goes 1 minute an episode than the last minute will be on March 4th and #131 is on the week after so that would mean one episode to not only wrap up the arc but also DBS or the first phase of DBS if a break.
Last edited by Baggie_Saiyan on Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:49 pm

Just think of all the slice of life filler we'll miss if it goes on hiatus. I'd rather see about 10-15 episodes of peacetime episodes to fill out the middle of the year than for it to not be airing anything new at all.

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:33 pm

emperior wrote:Super going on a hiatus would also explain why this arc has been dragged on for so long. While it may have been to guarantee a better scheduling all throughout the arc and a better finale in terms of art and animation, it could also be that they are dragging this arc to make it end specifically before the start of the next cour.
As Ajay said, the production is still in a bad state and with the movie around it would possibly completely break Super's production and we would be back to RoF arc levels. Nobody wants to see that happen, right? Especially not Toei, nor Toriyama who was about to quit Super because of how messy it was. There's also the whole Blu-Ray thing, which lists 1 episode less than usual: sure, this could be because 131 is the last episode of the arc before a new arc/fillers start, but that's still a valid point which adds more to this whole speculation.
It's so mystery around Super now! It's just makes it so much cool people's predictions and see who's right. To be honest, I don't trust Super's production to handle both a show and movie. But, I still don't believe Super is going on break. It's a weird time we have here as Dragon Ball fans.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:28 am

It's definitely interesting to theorize about; whether there will be a hiatus or not. If there's going to be I wish they'd wait until after March is over though. That timing's not my favorite.

Them giving Vegeta a new power-up this fast after Goku, how long in general this arc's been, the "stakes" of the arc such as they are, the trotting out of formerly neglected cast members, the thing with the DVDs...even so I still can't fully believe it'll end or hiatus come mid-March.

What's the best comparison out there to make a better judgement call? I don't follow any other currently-running weekly shounen anime outside of Super and One Piece. How did the news publicize when Bleach was ending? When Toriko was ending? Naruto? Would any of that information even be relevant to figuring out if there's any credence to Super possibly ending?
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:19 am

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:
Faisal Shourov wrote:Super is NOT ending. It's the biggest money making media franchise in Japan right now. Super ending will massively dent or erase all those revenue, which would make zero sense financially.

No anime/manga based show is making as much money as Super, not even One Piece. Super is making 2x the money of One Piece at the moment, so Super getting cancelled is a likely as One Piece getting cancelled.
One Piece was actually the best selling media franchise in Japan during 2017 but Super is still making a lot
If you're referring to this article, it must be noted that takes into account Blu-ray Discs, DVDs, music CDs, novels in print, and manga in print, but not games, film tickets, digital downloads, and other forms of media sales.

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:56 am

Chuquita wrote:It's definitely interesting to theorize about; whether there will be a hiatus or not. If there's going to be I wish they'd wait until after March is over though. That timing's not my favorite.

Them giving Vegeta a new power-up this fast after Goku, how long in general this arc's been, the "stakes" of the arc such as they are, the trotting out of formerly neglected cast members, the thing with the DVDs...even so I still can't fully believe it'll end or hiatus come mid-March.

What's the best comparison out there to make a better judgement call? I don't follow any other currently-running weekly shounen anime outside of Super and One Piece. How did the news publicize when Bleach was ending? When Toriko was ending? Naruto? Would any of that information even be relevant to figuring out if there's any credence to Super possibly ending?
Bleach and Toriko just got canceled for being unpopular, Naruto Shippuden ended at 500, a round number. Toriko and Bleach both ended in March, with the news leaking in January and being officially confirmed in February.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:03 am

Chuquita wrote:It's definitely interesting to theorize about; whether there will be a hiatus or not. If there's going to be I wish they'd wait until after March is over though. That timing's not my favorite.

Toriko got announced to end a month before it ended (ended March 30th 2014) they did so via the shows twitter page. Similarly Kai 1.0 ended last week of March, however it's replacement Toriko was announced to take over slot in December so a couple months before Kai 1.0 ended.

We will find out either way next month for sure, if Feb goes and we don't hear anything then safe to assume the show will continue on.

#131 should air a week before the Women's Marathon break so that'll mean an empty slot on Mar 25 which doesn't make sense if DBS is to end there.
Last edited by Baggie_Saiyan on Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:14 am

Fairy tail went on a break then came back and is currently on another one and is planned to return sometime this year so it's not unheared of. If a small break will result in a better movie and better production for it when it returns then so be it. We've gotten 3 full arcs out of it so that should be enough to hold us over until it returns. Another thing is the break will help the international market catch up so when it returns they won't be so far behind.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:19 am

sintzu wrote:Fairy tail went on a break then came back and is currently on another one and is planned to return sometime this year so it's not unheared of. If a small break will result in a better movie and better production for it when it returns then so be it. We've gotten 3 full arcs out of it so that should be enough to hold us over until it returns. Another thing is the break will help the international market catch up so when it returns they won't be so far behind.
FT is a bit different since it's an adaptation but both season's left at the end of March. #131 will not air at the end of March unless there is another scheduled break along with the Marathon that they know of ahead of time. Which makes this all so confusing!

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:39 am

So it's still a waiting game until the end of February. Ah well. Thank you both for the info.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:11 pm

Chuquita wrote:So it's still a waiting game until the end of February. Ah well. Thank you both for the info.
Afraid so. Bleach also ended last week of March and was revealed a month before via those magazine episode summary guides.

What bodes well for DBS not ending is the fact the BD Box is 11 or 13 eps since March has Women's Marathon that means either #131 or #133 won't land on the final week of March.

Edit: Basically a new anime will get announced to take over the slot before DBS gets announced to end if history is to go by.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:41 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Chuquita wrote:So it's still a waiting game until the end of February. Ah well. Thank you both for the info.
Afraid so. Bleach also ended last week of March and was revealed a month before via those magazine episode summary guides.

What bodes well for DBS not ending is the fact the BD Box is 11 or 13 eps since March has Women's Marathon that means either #131 or #133 won't land on the final week of March.

Edit: Basically a new anime will get announced to take over the slot before DBS gets announced to end if history is to go by.
Good to know. This isn't the arc I'd want Super to end on; it feels like there's still so much left to do so ending in March would be a let down imo.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:55 pm

Chuquita wrote:This isn't the arc I'd want Super to end on; it feels like there's still so much left to do so ending in March would be a let down imo.
Even if Super ends or takes a break it doesn't mean modern DB will be over, especially with a new movie on the way. We'll go to Sadal and see those 4 stronger universes either in Super when it comes back (if it ends) or in its sequel.

BOG made 51 million while RF mde nearly 65 million and based on that increase this next one could make 75 million or more so do you really think they'll stop DB with that kind of $$$ coming in ? that's not counting the merchandise sales that have been doing more than what they expected and the game sales.

DB is one of the biggest entertainment franchises now and it's here to stay.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:09 pm

The more I think about it the more I like the idea of Super going on a hiatus if it comes back stronger and possibly rebranded in 2019.
I mean, can't Toei see that fans prefer the older character designs and dislike the highlights? I'm sure that when people wanted Dragon Ball back they wanted it to look familiar in terms of designs. It's getting more and more apparent with each episode of Super and has gotten the attention of the most casual viewers too because of Takahashi's old-style approach. If they don't want to go with an old-school DBZ approach to designs, they could at least provide more animation friendly ones.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical