The human characters were treated better in Super than Z

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: The human characters were treated better in Super than Z

Post by Asura » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:19 pm

As others have said, Roshi was treated better in Super than Z by an absolute landslide, but Krillin and Tenshinhan were treated way, way worse than in Z. Krillin is a major part of the Saiyan and Namek sagas (especially Namek) and has a pretty big role in the Cell arc too. Even Tenshinhan gets his real moment to shine against Cell.

In Super however, Krillin is treated (and drawn) like a little child who lost his way and is very afraid of fighting now for some reason, and Tien... self explanatory, we don't even need to go into that one. I'm honestly pretty disappointed that Krillin went out first. Seeing him make it to the near-end and fighting alongside Goku would have really been awesome to see.

Sonofman
Not-So-Newbie

Re: The human characters were treated better in Super than Z

Post by Sonofman » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:49 pm

SSJ YUSUKE wrote:I hear a lot of people complaining about how the human characters were wasted in the Anime version of the TOP. All the Humans have been given theit time to shine and actaully had actaul battles. Both in the ROF and TOP arc the characters actaully did something and I'm satisfied with that. Tien with the exception of one moment in the Cell and the fight with Nappa in the saiyan saga did not have a proper fight and Krillin did absolutly nothing after Freeza saga. I love that even though they are not able to compete with the stronger characters they still got a chance to shine as fighters. This is a breath of fresh air compared to the Buu saga where they were background characters with zero relevance to the story. Could more have been done? Sure but they still got more than what they had in Z.
And to add to this I actaully think Piccolo and the Androids were treated with far more respect then they were in the Buu saga. Piccolo who was at one point the strongest character in the middle of the Cell arc became a baby sitter in the Buu arc while 18 wasn't even treated as a fighter despite being incredibly strong and 17 was basically ignored. Super made all these characters more relevant than they were in the Buu saga and that is more than what I expected.
Agreed. Super did a splendid job at giving some of the earthling characters some time to shine. I was surprised that they gave Tien some good moments in the tournament. My favorite was how they made Master Roshi so much more powerful. I would have liked if they gave Tien or Krillian a power boost. But, sadly the show is for the Saiyans and not for the earthlings.
"We have this hope as an anchor for our soul" - Hebrews 6:19