Between the Funimation dub of Kai and their dub of Super, which would you say is better?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Re: Between the Funimation dub of Kai and their dub of Super, which would you say is better?

Post by WittyUsername » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:50 pm

DB_Fan1991 wrote:I read through this topic thoroughly and I must say this, is this how the fanbase acted when Season 3 started in 1999? My god I have never seen so much fighting about the dub now in the 10 years I've been following this franchise. I am disappointed with almost everyone who has contributed to this thread. Most of you guys sound like schoolyard bullies picking on the fat kid. I should know I was the fat kid when I was that age.
For what it’s worth, if I could go back in time and stop myself from making this thread, I would.

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Re: Between the Funimation dub of Kai and their dub of Super, which would you say is better?

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:51 pm

ABED wrote:Having it better in comparison doesn't make something great or even good.
This is true, heck when you have to come in and get on people in this thread you know it's bad.
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:53 pm

ABED wrote:Was his body falling apart at the time of the lines in question?
Not any worse than it had been 10 minutes before that! And yes, that's an exact figure; I checked.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:54 pm

DB_Fan1991 wrote:I read through this topic thoroughly and I must say this, is this how the fanbase acted when Season 3 started in 1999? My god I have never seen so much fighting about the dub now in the 10 years I've been following this franchise. I am disappointed with almost everyone who has contributed to this thread. Most of you guys sound like schoolyard bullies picking on the fat kid. I should know I was the fat kid when I was that age.

If you guys really want to see a bad dub watch the dubs of Pokemon XY & Pokemon Sun & Moon. Now those are bad dubs. At least FUNimation realized that replacement scores were a dumb idea. TPCi still hasn't, you will have episodes now that only keep the episode's title screen music and the rest is wall to wall dub music. This last movie, I Choose You was slaughtered in the dub. The Japanese version mostly used remixes of old Kanto tracks while the dub only kept 1 piece of Japanese music, the piece that ends the movie which was a variant of the Ending theme to the Gen 1 games. Need I mention how bad the scripts have gotten? Team Rocket rhymes and alliterates up the wazoo, Ash always says "I'm psyched", the list goes on and on and the voice acting good god is worse than FUNi's was in Season 3.

Sarah Natochenny has been playing Ash for 12 years now and she still doesn't know Ash the way Veronica Taylor did, to Sarah's credit she did come close in the I Choose You movie only to regress at the start of the current season. Michele Knotz is the only one that I consider good as her Misty & Jessie still sounds like what Rachael Lillis did with them. James Cathcart's James & Meowth are worse now than when they started in Season 9. Eric Stuart & Maddie Blaustein they will never be, Bill Rogers was a decent Brock as well. Knotz started off rough with May, but got better as Season 9 progressed and peaked in the Manaphy movie. When May returned in Diamond & Pearl she was still good. Kayzie Rogers as Max was just wrong though. Trust me the dub of Dragon Ball Super is nowhere near as bad as what TPCi has been doing with Pokemon since 2014. The DB fanbase has it great in comparison. I think Super's dub is fine. Yes some of the theme song dubs are lousy, but that's about it.
I agree wholeheartedly, especially about the Pokémon dub. Indeed, as I was getting involved in this whole thing, I was reminded of my own feelings on that dub. Although to be fair, the voice acting that dub is not bad as Z's Season 3 dub
ABED wrote:Having it better in comparison doesn't make something great or even good.
True, but that's not the reason I feel Super's dub is good despite some of its liberties. The script is incredibly faithful aside from some changes made to either clarify or just to add some "punch," and the cast all fit their roles nicely.
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:56 pm

WittyUsername wrote:
For what it’s worth, if I could go back in time and stop myself from making this thread, I would.
I didn't realize it would get this toxic in here with all the insults flying around.

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:59 pm

If you guys really want to see a bad dub watch the dubs of Pokemon XY & Pokemon Sun & Moon. Now those are bad dubs. At least FUNimation realized that replacement scores were a dumb idea. TPCi still hasn't, you will have episodes now that only keep the episode's title screen music and the rest is wall to wall dub music. This last movie, I Choose You was slaughtered in the dub. The Japanese version mostly used remixes of old Kanto tracks while the dub only kept 1 piece of Japanese music, the piece that ends the movie which was a variant of the Ending theme to the Gen 1 games. Need I mention how bad the scripts have gotten? Team Rocket rhymes and alliterates up the wazoo, Ash always says "I'm psyched", the list goes on and on and the voice acting good god is worse than FUNi's was in Season 3.

Sarah Natochenny has been playing Ash for 12 years now and she still doesn't know Ash the way Veronica Taylor did, to Sarah's credit she did come close in the I Choose You movie only to regress at the start of the current season. Michele Knotz is the only one that I consider good as her Misty & Jessie still sounds like what Rachael Lillis did with them. James Cathcart's James & Meowth are worse now than when they started in Season 9. Eric Stuart & Maddie Blaustein they will never be, Bill Rogers was a decent Brock as well. Knotz started off rough with May, but got better as Season 9 progressed and peaked in the Manaphy movie. When May returned in Diamond & Pearl she was still good. Kayzie Rogers as Max was just wrong though. Trust me the dub of Dragon Ball Super is nowhere near as bad as what TPCi has been doing with Pokemon since 2014. The DB fanbase has it great in comparison. I think Super's dub is fine. Yes some of the theme song dubs are lousy, but that's about it.
First off, yes, I agree that the Pokemon dub never recovered from the cast change. Even though some of the new voices are good in general it just doesn't work. I had similar complaints about the previous cast as well. But I have to ask. If you have to compare DBZ's dub to one you feel is significantly worse then what does that say about it's overall quality? Ultimately all of this is a matter of opinion and in my opinion both of these dubs are relics of their respective pasts, hence why I personally choose to experience them in their native language.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:01 pm

DB_Fan1991 wrote:I read through this topic thoroughly and I must say this, is this how the fanbase acted when Season 3 started in 1999? My god I have never seen so much fighting about the dub now in the 10 years I've been following this franchise.
It's possible. I remember VegettoEX once wrote a post in response to someone talking about how he's always been the big man even back in the Season 3 era. His response, IIRC, basically said something along the lines of...

"...Uh, no, I wasn't. I made mistakes, too. And none of us were really the epitome of "mature" behavior. Don't build me up to be better than I was."

And that was coming from someone who's been a part of the community for literal decades. So yeah, I get the impression that things were pretty bad then, too.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:04 pm

Gligarman wrote:

First off, yes, I agree that the Pokemon dub never recovered from the cast change. Even though some of the new voices are good in general it just doesn't work. I had similar complaints about the previous cast as well. But I have to ask. If you have to compare DBZ's dub to one you feel is significantly worse then what does that say about it's overall quality? Ultimately all of this is a matter of opinion and in my opinion both of these dubs are relics of their respective pasts, hence why I personally choose to experience them in their native language.
I've been Japanese only for Pokemon since XY, but have spot checked the dub here and there and actually paid money to see I Choose You's dub in theaters twice because yay, Pokemon is on the big screen and the first one I had seen in theaters since Movie 5 in 2003. To make things about DB I am so glad that these movie rereleases this fall will be offered in both languages as I will be going to the Japanese screenings. Movie 8's dub is good though and was the first "Kai" level dub we had outside of the Pioneer dubs of the first 3 movies. Movie 12 & the Bardock Special though are not as good in English moreso the latter. Not even Kikuchi's score can save that dub from being garbage. Movie 8 with the Japanese score is actually a pleasant listen.

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:07 pm

DB_Fan1991 wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:
I didn't realize it would get this toxic in here with all the insults flying around.
People get too hostile when it comes to Dragon Ball at times.
Gligarman wrote:
First off, yes, I agree about the Pokemon dub's lack of quality. But I have to ask. If you have to compare DBZ's dub to one you feel is significantly worse then what does that say about it's overall quality? Ultimately all of this is a matter of opinion and in my opinion both of these dubs are relics of their respective pasts, hence why I personally choose to experience them in their native language.
He was comparing Super to the Pokémon dub to give some perspective of what an actually bad dub is. I see your point though, and I agree that DBZ's dub isn't good, but this is about the quality of Kai and Super. Both are good and even moreso when compared to Funimation's previous efforts.
Fionordequester wrote:
DB_Fan1991 wrote:I read through this topic thoroughly and I must say this, is this how the fanbase acted when Season 3 started in 1999? My god I have never seen so much fighting about the dub now in the 10 years I've been following this franchise.
It's possible. I remember VegettoEX once wrote a post in response to someone talking about how he's always been the big man even back in the Season 3 era. His response, IIRC, basically said something along the lines of...

"...Uh, no, I wasn't. I made mistakes, too. And none of us were really the epitome of "mature" behavior. Don't build me up to be better than I was."

And that was coming from someone who would've been a part of the "anti-1999 dub" crowd. So yeah, I get the impression that things were pretty bad then, too.
Interesting....if people are going crazy over Super's minor changes, then the fandom must've been a hellhouse bsck in 1999.

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:17 pm

gokaiblue wrote:Interesting....if people are going crazy over Super's minor changes, then the fandom must've been a hellhouse bsck in 1999.
Well...maybe not so much in 1999. That was back in the days when most dub fans were still children, and hadn't made forum accounts yet. So the fandom was pretty much of one single mindset; that FUNi sucked copious amounts of horse manure.

It wasn't till a few years later that the hardcore dub fans started participating, as well. Now all of a sudden, we're getting this huge influx of people challenging what HAD been the majority opinion for years on end. THAT'S probably when we got the worse in-fighting anyone would've ever seen.

Besides that, though...part of this is just human nature. A lot of hardcore, passionate fans are great at escalating a conflict...but not so good when it comes to de-escalating.

It's part of the reason why my posts are generally pretty short and matter-of-fact; why I only quote small parts of what people post. Part of it is because I simply don't have the energy for multi-day long debates. But another part of it is to prevent the possibility of large conflicts like this.

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:26 pm

gokaiblue wrote:Interesting....if people are going crazy over Super's minor changes, then the fandom must've been a hellhouse back in 1999.
It seems like it, I know Chris Psaros was not thrilled with it. Hell I'd even take the old Digimon dub over the current Pokemon dub. At least Digimon had mostly solid voice acting. Standouts include Mona Marshall as Izzy, Richard Epcar as Myotismon, Paul St. Peter as Leomon, Derek Stephen Prince as Piedmon, Wendee Lee as Adventure T.K., Jeff Nimoy as Tentomon and the list goes on and on. That dub's faults lied with the script and music changes. In more serious scenes they did try to keep the script faithful like in Wizardmon's death scene in Episode 37. Other than a few words here and there the dub's script in that scene was almost dead on. When the dub got to Tamers they kept the stupid jokes to a minimum and it was the best quality dub of the initial 4 seasons for that reason. Had Saban kept the Japanese score it would have been near perfect. The Tri dub is by far the best dub of any of the Digimon series to date as not only did most of the original cast come back the script is pretty faithful and for the first time ever in the English dub the Japanese soundtrack was kept intact with the exception of the OP in Parts 1 & 2 which from what I heard is only true for the North American release as the UK release has Butterfly as the OP. Back to DB I think that the dub has been pretty awesome since 2010. The returning cast has improved vastly since 99 and the new voices are definitely standouts. The only changes I would make are Kaio & Recoome. I think Doc Morgan would have nailed Kaio and as for Recoome I'd think Patrick Seitz would be great in the role. Sabat should have kept Jeice as unlike some I thought his Jeice was hilarious.

TheBigBoy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBigBoy » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:31 pm

DB_Fan1991 wrote:I read through this topic thoroughly and I must say this, is this how the fanbase acted when Season 3 started in 1999?
Absolutely, if not worse. The arguments on the old planetnamek.com forums would always degenerate into some of the ugliest, nastiest flame wars I've ever seen online. It was great.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:33 pm

Please don't continue trying to frame this as "going crazy" over the Super dub.

Y'all asked for opinions and impressions, and you received them.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:35 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Please don't continue trying to frame this as "going crazy" over the Super dub.

With all due respect Mr. EX I was just asking if the fanbase acted this way when Season 3 started in 1999 that's all.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:38 pm

I don’t watch much anime, but have there ever been any especially great English dubs? People always go on about the English dub of Cowboy Bebop, but I honestly think that dub is kind of wonky in places. I also hear a lot about Black Lagoon, but the only things I really know about that series and dub is that they swear a lot, and that they got white people to voice characters who are supposed to be Asian.

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:41 pm

WittyUsername wrote:I don’t watch much anime, but have there ever been any especially great English dubs? People always go on about the English dub of Cowboy Bebop, but I honestly think that dub is kind of wonky in places. I also hear a lot about Black Lagoon, but the only things I really know about that series and dub is that they swear a lot, and that they got white people to voice characters who are supposed to be Asian.
I think that the dub of both Yu Yu Hakusho & My Hero Academia are great. FUNi does them both and while YYH was dubbed around the time of the original Dragon Ball the quality of the dub was much higher.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:43 pm

WittyUsername wrote:I don’t watch much anime, but have there ever been any especially great English dubs? People always go on about the English dub of Cowboy Bebop, but I honestly think that dub is kind of wonky in places. I also hear a lot about Black Lagoon, but the only things I really know about that series and dub is that they swear a lot, and that they got white people to voice characters who are supposed to be Asian.
Spice and Wolf is fantastic, possibly Funimation's best dub. It's one of the main reasons I don't buy the "Funi can't afford great VA's" excuse.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:47 pm

TheBigBoy wrote:
DB_Fan1991 wrote:I read through this topic thoroughly and I must say this, is this how the fanbase acted when Season 3 started in 1999?
Absolutely, if not worse. The arguments on the old planetnamek.com forums would always degenerate into some of the ugliest, nastiest flame wars I've ever seen online. It was great.
Internet archive here I come!

Back on topic
DB_Fan1991 wrote:Back to DB I think that the dub has been pretty awesome since 2010. The returning cast has improved vastly since 99 and the new voices are definitely standouts. The only changes I would make are Kaio & Recoome. I think Doc Morgan would have nailed Kaio and as for Recoome I'd think Patrick Seitz would be great in the role. Sabat should have kept Jeice as unlike some I thought his Jeice was hilarious.
Definitely agree, but I do feel that nothing really was lost too much by not recasting them (not much was gained either).
VegettoEX wrote:Please don't continue trying to frame this as "going crazy" over the Super dub.

With all due respect, I would call paragraph upon paragraph upon paragraph about it while also calling the actors "hacks" going crazy over the dub.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:49 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:
Spice and Wolf is fantastic, possibly Funimation's best dub. It's one of the main reasons I don't buy the "Funi can't afford great VA's" excuse.
Isn’t Chris Sabat part of that dub?

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:51 pm

WittyUsername wrote:
Kamiccolo9 wrote:
Isn’t Chris Sabat part of that dub?
He's plays a minor character that appears in 3 or so episodes. The Marheit guy I mentioned earlier.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"