Episode #0048 (22 October 2006)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

kvon
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by kvon » Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:02 pm

I'm starting to wonder what purpose does it serve to print Son Goku's name into Hiragana when said by Raditz. Why do I suspect such a thing? It's because that one of the videos I've seen had Vegeta saying Son Goku in Katakana! Why flip flop like that? Are they just lazy, or is something else going on? I don't believe that laziness is the issue because everybody else's texts showed Kanjis. Maybe Saiyans know nothing of written texts?

Great thanks to Mike for pointing out such an interesting point, or else I would not have noticed Vegeta's script either. :)
kvon is an alternative name to Kevin

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:36 pm

You need to make more fan dubs, there effin awesome. :lol:

Kirbopher
Regular

Post by Kirbopher » Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:57 pm

Seconded. Godfather Guru is an epic win XD; You guys were on the ball with the tons of voices. If you're not into making anymore fandubs, I vote for doing more voiced script readings like the scene about the battle jackets :3

Lotta video game stuff in this one, always fun. Extra points for Julian for talking about Megaman (try the Battle Network ones dude, those're pretty fun), and now I almost feel like playing MvC2, if my PS2 were in my immediate area...auuuugh, want Namco X Capcom ;o; As far as Sparking! NEO goes, I'll probably just rent the American release for a weekend like I did with the first one and Super DBZ. That'll be about as long as I enjoy them (although I DID like Super a lot).

Mr. Announcer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr. Announcer » Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:14 pm

Great, great podcast. I'm partial to the manga reading, you played your roles admirably. My team for Marvel vs Capcom 2 is usually Rockman, Chun Li and Sonson.
For fanart that lacks in variety [url]http://www.announcerguy.deviantart.com[/url]

クリリンのことか~!!!

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:40 pm

Whee! Or... err... umm... Wii!

Regarding our review of the game being "harsh"... well... let's be honest... I was a gamer before I was a DBZ (anime?) fan. I know what I like, and I've played generations upon generations of games. Sparking! NEO can be summed up in:

Square Square Square Square (hold) Square...
Back + X (+ optional R1)...
L2...
L2 + Down + Triangle

Seriously, that's every fucking fight. It doesn't matter who you play as. It doesn't matter who you play against. It doesn't even matter if you're playing against the computer or a human opponent.

I can totally see how a casual gamer, and more-so than that, a casual gamer + DBZ fan would loooooooove the game. Also, I'm not expecting everyone to look at games as investments like I do. Street Fighter Alpha 3, SFIII: Third Strike, Marvel vs Capcom 2, Capcom vs SNK 2... and let's throw in a KoF (say '99? [I know, blasphemy that I like the striker system])... I'll be playing these games until I can no longer hold a controller in my hand. Sparking! NEO? I'll play it until next week when I'm done with story mode.

If that's what you're looking for, by all freakin' means, pick it up and have a blast. (Hur hur, "blast").

And yes, in case people didn't notice, the little fandub with Julian was posted at the very same time as the podcast last night. Props really go out to Meri for editing the footage (though I handled the audio mixing).

DBZ / Godfather Parody (Streaming) @ YouTube
DBZ / Godfather Parody (XviD Download) @ Daizenshuu EX (coutesy of godofchaos)

Look at us! We're using YouTube for something it's actually meant for!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:03 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Square Square Square Square (hold) Square...
Back + X (+ optional R1)...
L2...
L2 + Down + Triangle

Seriously, that's every fucking fight. It doesn't matter who you play as. It doesn't matter who you play against. It doesn't even matter if you're playing against the computer or a human opponent.
It's so true!!

Recently, I've been playing Sparking! without even using Ki attacks, but that doesn't stop the god damn computer player...

Also, now that I've looked through the new video games page, I can safely say that you have a HELL of a lot of games now. In fact, I think all you need is... *researches*

Famicom:
Mystery of Shenlong
Wrath of the Demon King
Dragon Ball 3 Story of Goku
Attack of the Saiyajin
Battle Against Freeza
Battle Against Androids
Barcode Battler
Plan to Destroy the Saiyajin
Famicom Jump

Super Famicom:
Super Gokuden 2 (ooh, you only need one more! :lol: )

Gameboy:
Goku Gekitouden

Playdia:
The Plan to Destroy the Saiyans Part One

Well, I think that's all you need bro! Obviously there's some other region versions of certain games that you don't own (Super DBZ US) and other systems (Budokai 2 Gamecube [which I recently purchased, thank you, thank you :lol:] ). Other then that, you have more DBZ games then anyone else I've ever met? Perhaps you can make a podcast episode breaking them down? (favourite part of certain games, what you hate/love)

Damn, I was pretty bored to actually make a list of games for someone other then myself. :?

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:16 pm

The beginning of the Sparking! review for this episode seemed good enough, but then you guys seemed to lose your (for lack of a better word) "luster" near the end when you talked about all of the negative aspects etc.

I thought the whole Saiya-jinn armor has always been something interesting. The way I see it, their armor is something like a rubber playground ball when popped from putting too much air into it (no innuendos, please). If that's never happened to you, the rubber material is actually pretty thick (yet smooth) on the inside of it.

Also, that whole manga reading was hilarious! I don't think I would've been able to stop laughing if you did the entire reading in Season 3 dub voices.

And some more Upa stuff: He was first seen when he was taken hostage by Colonel (or was it General?) Yellow (that Yellow cat-person thing that has a fighter pilot thing). And as most other filler characters, he's seen in at least one filler episode.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:56 pm

As far as US versions of games go (for ones I have in Japanese), I do plan on picking them up eventually... gotta be $20 new or less, though. Don't want to TOTALLY waste money :).

As far as games go, here's what I know I'm missing, in addition to what you've stated above:

Wonderswan
DragonBall

GameBoy Advance
Legacy of Goku
Super Sonic Warriors and/or Bukuu Tougeki

... is that it? Hrmm...
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:44 pm

VegettoEX wrote: As far as games go, here's what I know I'm missing, in addition to what you've stated above:

Wonderswan
DragonBall

GameBoy Advance
Legacy of Goku
Well, I researched the Wonderswan game, and I can't find it ANYWHERE. Not even eBay and Google. The only mention of it is on Play-Asia, but (obviously) it's sold out/out of print.

As for Legacy of Goku, its like 4.99 on eBay (Buy it now prices), and Super Sonic Warriors....is $18 bucks on eBay? Why so expensive? I can probably get it for less at EB Games. (Also, Bukuu Tougeki is 34.90 at Play-Asia. Rip-off! :P )

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:53 pm

As far as games go, here's what I know I'm missing, in addition to what you've stated above...
And maybe that Datch card game for Famicom. And also, those Shonen Jump Famicom games? If you even consider those Dragonball games. :?

Kogu 87
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kogu 87 » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:13 pm

VegettoEX wrote:As far as US versions of games go (for ones I have in Japanese), I do plan on picking them up eventually... gotta be $20 new or less, though. Don't want to TOTALLY waste money :).

As far as games go, here's what I know I'm missing, in addition to what you've stated above:

Wonderswan
DragonBall

GameBoy Advance
Legacy of Goku

... is that it? Hrmm...

heheh, trust me , you could defenitley do without legacy of goku...such a bad game. I remember playing the first area and continuesly dying because goku cant kill wolves.....they were too strong....later i realised i had to kill crabs to gain enough experience to enable me to actually fight on an even level with the wolves.....i mean Common...who makes these games !?!?

As for supersonic warriors, that was a pretty good game, but now that the sequel is out on the nintendo DS, theres really no need to look back at the original.
"Oh dear...."

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:18 pm

Kogu 87 wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:As far as US versions of games go (for ones I have in Japanese), I do plan on picking them up eventually... gotta be $20 new or less, though. Don't want to TOTALLY waste money :).

Wonderswan
DragonBall

GameBoy Advance
Legacy of Goku

... is that it? Hrmm...

heheh, trust me , you could defenitley do without legacy of goku...such a bad game. I remember playing the first area and continuesly dying because goku cant kill wolves.....they were too strong....later i realised i had to kill crabs to gain enough experience to enable me to actually fight on an even level with the wolves.....i mean Common...who makes these games !?!?

As for supersonic warriors, that was a pretty good game, but now that the sequel is out on the nintendo DS, theres really no need to look back at the original.
Dude, its called being a "completist". No shit the games are terrible, but they're Dragon Ball games, and that's all that matters. :wink: Mike has the DBZ CCG game for crap sakes! (I'll have that soon enough!! :P )

Taku128

Post by Taku128 » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:51 pm

You also need Dragon Ball Z 2 V, but I can understand if you don't ever buy it, unless you see it reasonably priced and don't, then I'll think you're crazy.

Kogu 87
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kogu 87 » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:03 pm

fps_anth wrote:
Kogu 87 wrote:

Wonderswan
DragonBall

GameBoy Advance
Legacy of Goku

... is that it? Hrmm...

Dude, its called being a "completist". No shit the games are terrible, but they're Dragon Ball games, and that's all that matters. :wink: Mike has the DBZ CCG game for crap sakes! (I'll have that soon enough!! :P )
Yeah that's true in Mike's case.
"Oh dear...."

m121akuma
Beyond Newbie

Post by m121akuma » Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:41 pm

VegettoEX wrote:and let's throw in a KoF (say '99? [I know, blasphemy that I like the striker system])
It ain't the striker system that sucks, it's the slow pace and being forced to HOP BACK FORWARD WHEN YOU ROLL BACKWARDS! Best soundtrack in the series, but poor game....but that was entirely off topic.

Seeing Piccolo Daimao in the middle of spitting out an egg with the caption "No Sex" had me rofling for quite a while.

EDIT: NOOOO MIKE! DON'T GET THE PS2 VERSION OF MARVEL! IT SUCKS ASSSSSSSSS!

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:27 pm

99's music is definitely awesome. Maybe that's why I'm a little biased :).

Glad you liked the screenie for #1! That one was my idea :P.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:33 pm

Kogu 87 wrote: As for supersonic warriors, that was a pretty good game, but now that the sequel is out on the nintendo DS, theres really no need to look back at the original.
Actually IMO the origional is better than the sequel (that is, if you care about details like everyone having the same colored aura, some characters getting wrong colored fireballs when others are right, and some characters getting lame made up/altered attacks). The only thing the sequel has over the origional is beam struggles and better what-if senerios for some characters.

Taku128

Post by Taku128 » Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:39 pm

Majin Buu wrote:
Kogu 87 wrote: As for supersonic warriors, that was a pretty good game, but now that the sequel is out on the nintendo DS, theres really no need to look back at the original.
Actually IMO the origional is better than the sequel (that is, if you care about details like everyone having the same colored aura, some characters getting wrong colored fireballs when others are right, and some characters getting lame made up/altered attacks). The only thing the sequel has over the origional is beam struggles and better what-if senerios for some characters.
Like the one where Broli gets amnesia and Mr. Satan finds him and teaches him to be good? God that one kicked ass.

Kogu 87
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kogu 87 » Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:03 am

Taku128 wrote:
Majin Buu wrote:
Like the one where Broli gets amnesia and Mr. Satan finds him and teaches him to be good? God that one kicked ass.
hahah, what about the one when vegeta gains weight after he stops training...and is challenged by gohan, and goku after that.....or what about Tien, yamcha, krillin, chioutzu and yajirobe fighting the ginyu force...on earth in the arctic level :o ....hehhehe, that game was fun.
"Oh dear...."

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:37 am

Kogu 87 wrote:hahah, what about the one when vegeta gains weight after he stops training...and is challenged by gohan, and goku after that.....or what about Tenshinhan, yamcha, krillin, chioutzu and yajirobe fighting the ginyu force...on earth in the arctic level :o ....hehhehe, that game was fun.
C'mon, dude... you've been warned already. These types of posts will not be tolerated. Please re-read the forum rules.