Masako Nozawa Interview - ComicBook.com

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

RecolorSaiyan
Regular

Masako Nozawa Interview - ComicBook.com

Post by RecolorSaiyan » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:50 pm

ComicBook.com: Dragon Ball Super's finale was a huge hit with fans, so how does it feel returning for the movie with so much support?

Masako Nozawa: It's just amazing. Goku has a very special place in everyone's hearts. He's been with us for such a long time; he's always going to be there.

Do you feel Goku's changed since the Tournament of Power and fighting so many strong opponents?

Goku never changes. He's always been the same, he's always going to be Goku. He wants one thing for the whole world. He just wants peace, he wants everyone to get along with each other. So when [he] encounters a villain or a bad guy, all he's trying to do is change the way they think a little bit and shift them towards good. So if in the middle of a fight if a bad guy says, "You know what? I changed my mind, I'm going to be a good guy now," he's going to stop fighting. He's not in it to beat him up to a pulp or prove that he's better or stronger. He just wants peace.

Fans are very excited for Goku's big fight with Broly, so did that add any pressure or excitement when performing those scenes?

I really don't feel that much pressure at all. Because the moment I walk into the studio I become Goku. I feel what Goku feels, take on the same attitude he has, so I just want peace at that point too. He doesn't train to become stronger, to beat people up for the sake of beating people up, he trains to become stronger so he has the power to kind of shift the way people think towards good.Goku Just Wants Peace
How does Goku feel about Broly?

Goku never hates anyone. He doesn't even have the idea of vengeance. All he is trying to do is say, "Hey, if you behave that way you're going to cause trouble for people. You're disturbing people's lives, don't do that." So I think Goku really believes Broly is a friend.

He's trying his best to make peace with Broly?

All Goku is doing is going, "Hey, you've got it a bit wrong, buddy. You're thinking about this all wrong. If you just turn direct that energy over here, there's so much more potential, more possibility. So hey, come to this side." That's all Goku is trying to do.

Favorite Transformation?

Goku's had many transformations, many forms, over the years. Do you possibly have a favorite one?

[laughs] There's no favorite. I am all of them, and they're all me. Masako Nozawa equals Son Goku. That's all there is. Really, if more people in the world thought the way Goku thought then we could achieve world peace. He never goes out to fight someone with the intent of just beating them for the sake of beating them. He would never think of killing anyone. All he wants to do is change the way people think.

Can Goku Reach Ultra Instinct Again?
Goku using Ultra Instinct was an intense moment, did you go anywhere special for that performance?

There really is no secret to how I build the character. What I see on the screen, I see Goku, I feel whatever he's feeling. And when I saw Goku that way I knew, "OK, this is what Goku must be feeling," so I just try to match whatever I see and become Goku.

Do you think he can reach that level again?

I don't know if he'll ever get to that instinct level, but he's always training. He's constantly training. So I think there's going to be a lot more Goku to be seen, because he's always training.

Anything to Look Out For?
Is there anything you're excited for fans to see now that Dragon Ball Super: Broly is releasing soon in theaters?

I mean, there are lots of things, but I don't want to spoil it. I want from the moment the room goes dark and the screen lights up, that's when the experience begins. So in that moment everyone's going to draw something different. There are lots of things I personally like, but I'm not going to ruin the experience for anyone right now.

Would you be willing to return for another outing as Goku if called upon again?

I mean, of course, I am Goku. Goku is my clone. So as long as Goku exists, so will I. I don't think Goku will let anyone else act as him, either.

https://comicbook.com/anime/amp/2018/11 ... nycc-2018/

Robo4900
I Live Here

Re: Masako Nozawa Interview - ComicBook.com

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:22 pm

Thanks for posting!

Always a delight to see a fresh interview with one of the Japanese crew.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:07 pm

A great interview from the lady herself. Thanks for posting.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:18 pm

That was a nice read, thanks for sharing.

Interesting how Nozawa herself describes Goku in a very positive and, dare I say, heroic way by highlighting his desire to make the world peaceful and to bring out the good in others. It's a refreshing change from reading comments exagerating his flaws and making him out to be some kind of heartless jerk who doesn't give a shit about anything beyond battle.

RecolorSaiyan
Regular

Post by RecolorSaiyan » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:24 pm

90sDBZ wrote:That was a nice read, thanks for sharing.

Interesting how Nozawa herself describes Goku in a very positive and, dare I say, heroic way by highlighting his desire to make the world peaceful and to bring out the good in others. It's a refreshing change from reading comments exagerating his flaws and making him out to be some kind of heartless jerk who doesn't give a shit about anything beyond battle.

Well I would say the main culprit for that is Akira Toriyama

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:37 pm

RecolorSaiyan wrote:
90sDBZ wrote:That was a nice read, thanks for sharing.

Well I would say the main culprit for that is Akira Toriyama
He's certainly described Goku that way himself at times, although many fans do too. Interesting how the creator and the star of the franchise seem to differ slightly in their interpretation of the character.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:02 pm

Death of the author exisit as a literary criticism for a reason.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:10 pm

Anyone else find it weird that when Nozawa says Goku doesn’t fight to become stronger, he fights to protect, they think that’s perfectly fine. But when the Super dub says it everyone blows their top.

I liek that bit about Goku not wanting anyone else to act as him. Makes me think that once Nozawas time in voice acting is up they’ll retire DB for good

Izanagi
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Izanagi » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:29 pm

Goku's personality is somewhere between Toriyama's and Nozawa's interpretation. He isn't exactly your typical hero in the sense that he has a selfless motivation to save everyone, his primary goal is to fight strong guys and get stronger in the progress.

But on the other hand, he also has a human personality. When someone he knows is involved, he'll act upon on it. That's what humans would generally do. He wouldn't have hunted Tombourine or humiliated Freeza as he did if he was a complete and utter fighting maniac.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:46 pm

It’s a sweet interpretation but not one I entirely agree with. Still next to Toriyama who understands Goku more than Nozawa after playing him for so many years? I don’t agree with her but I also feel I can’t contradict her. As she says she is literally Goku.

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:44 pm

Yeah, I love Nozawa's work as Goku...but I can't really see how she can rationalize this view of Goku with what the franchise presents. Even ignoring Super's attempts to really show Goku's failings, this quote here confuses me:

"He never goes out to fight someone with the intent of just beating them for the sake of beating them. He would never think of killing anyone. All he wants to do is change the way people think."

I'm pretty sure his love of tournaments is from wanting to fight people, to beat them. Meanwhile, he's absolutely thought about killing someone, and has, multiple times. The last bit feels less like Goku wanting to change the way people think, but people changing their way of thinking around Goku's behavior as an unintended consequence.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:48 pm

Kinokima wrote:It’s a sweet interpretation but not one I entirely agree with. Still next to Toriyama who understands Goku more than Nozawa after playing him for so many years? I don’t agree with her but I also feel I can’t contradict her. As she says she is literally Goku.
Well, it’s been commonly argued that the Goku who Nozawa is used to playing is more traditionally heroic than Toriyama’s Goku. I personally have never really seen Goku’s anime self as really being anymore heroic than his manga counterpart, but even Toriyama himself seems to think that Toei made Goku seem like too much of a good guy.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:51 pm

Do you feel Goku's changed since the Tournament of Power and fighting so many strong opponents?

Goku never changes. He's always been the same, he's always going to be Goku. He wants one thing for the whole world. He just wants peace, he wants everyone to get along with each other. So when [he] encounters a villain or a bad guy, all he's trying to do is change the way they think a little bit and shift them towards good. So if in the middle of a fight if a bad guy says, "You know what? I changed my mind, I'm going to be a good guy now," he's going to stop fighting. He's not in it to beat him up to a pulp or prove that he's better or stronger. He just wants peace.
Not feeling like contradicting Nozawa of all people about Goku, but I don't agree with her vision on the character at all.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:08 am

I'm impressed that she is able to voice act so well while misinterpreting the character so much.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:42 am

While I disagree with much of the arguments people have about Goku literally only caring about fighting and not caring in the slightest about the overall well being of the universe and more immediately his planet and friends, it's kind of crazy that Nozawa's talking like a dub fan with how he only wants peace and intentionally tries to make villains change their evil ways.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:11 am

Izanagi wrote:Goku's personality is somewhere between Toriyama's and Nozawa's interpretation. He isn't exactly your typical hero in the sense that he has a selfless motivation to save everyone, his primary goal is to fight strong guys and get stronger in the progress.

But on the other hand, he also has a human personality. When someone he knows is involved, he'll act upon on it. That's what humans would generally do. He wouldn't have hunted Tombourine or humiliated Freeza as he did if he was a complete and utter fighting maniac.
This is how I see it too. Too many people want to see good and evil in black and white terms but there is always middle ground. This is exactly why I love Goku as a character because rather than being purely good or evil he shows you can be more than just one or the other.

The reality is you can be selfish and still have good intentions. I'd use Walter White in Breaking Bad as another example of a character who enjoys what he does but should really be thinking about his family and how it affects them first. Like Goku, Walter wants to take care of his loved ones but there's a time and place for thinking about them and thinking about yourself, but often both characters miss the former because they prioritize the latter.

Goku has always and will always want to fight stronger opponents, but its not out of character for him to want them to join his side. We saw that with Raditz and even Freeza when he gave him energy to move. In his mind he thought they could help him, but the first thing on his mind at that moment should have been the hurt they caused others, not what he could gain from them being on his side.

He wants to protect his family by having strong allys to train with but he's too naive to know when someone can't be trusted.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:21 am

Death of the author exisit as a literary criticism for a reason.

Yeah and that reason is to misuse it all the time one finds something he/she does not like and no longer wants to accept things.

I do not think Nozawa-san is really wrong about Goku. He is a person that likes to fight. That does not mean he does not want peace. You can fight your battles without Freezas, Cells and all those crapbags. Goku is pretty happy fighting people outside of fight or die-situations. Goku is absolutely happy to give Vegeta a chance to a) better himself and b) to fight him again, same as he did for Freeza on Namek and even wanted in Fukkatsu no F. Same for Boo for whom he wishes to a) be reborn as a good entity and b) fight him again.

"Goku is selfish and does not do things for reasons otherthan battle lust" is overused just for the sake of blowing the old Toriyama interview out of proportion.
Last edited by Cetra on Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:23 am

Like others have said I think the truth of Goku lies somewhere in between the 2 extremes. Although I'm inclined to lean towards Nozawa's take a bit more as she literally became the character for over 3 decades and I've never thought of Goku as a heartless anti-hero myself even after watching the Japanese version and Kai. She's basically saying that he's essentially a nice guy with good intentions which I don't disagree with.

And her comment about him wanting to change the way bad guys think rings true to me when I think about it. Before his fight with Vegeta I believe he makes a comment about how it's a shame he's a bad guy as he'd make a great sparring partner. I guess that line can be looked at as both looking for the potential for change in someone and the opportunity for future battles.

Although I wouldn't say Goku is incapable of killing or revenge because he has done both in the past. I think it's important to note that Nozawa has voiced the character for every piece of media the franchise has to offer, including the old movies and GT which Toriyama probably wouldn't remember as much as her due to very minimal involvement. The old movies and GT do lean more heavily towards the peaceful protector side that we only see in moderation during the DB Manga and DB/Z anime.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:40 am

MasenkoHA wrote:Death of the author exisit as a literary criticism for a reason.
Death of the Author doesn't apply here because Nozawa has little influence over the way the character is written. I don't disagree with what she says, but I feel she makes him out to be far more heroic than he is. She says he doesn't kill even though he's willing to kill his opponents and has in fact done so.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:34 am

Doctor. wrote:
MasenkoHA wrote:Death of the author exisit as a literary criticism for a reason.
Death of the Author doesn't apply here because Nozawa has little influence over the way the character is written. I don't disagree with what she says, but I feel she makes him out to be far more heroic than he is. She says he doesn't kill even though he's willing to kill his opponents and has in fact done so.
I was referring to Toriyama. Sorry I didn’t quote the post right above me for context