"Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Jord
Advanced Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Jord » Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:48 pm

Nobody gives a fuck whether a character is 'canon' or not. People care if the character is cool or not, and companies care if it sells.

Hell, juist look at the FighterZ DLC.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:41 am

Xeogran wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:39 pm Besides Xenoverse and Heroes, GT is also represented in FighterZ, Legends, Dokkan, basically any game that's currently out. It's true that I'd require lots of new assets, but so did the Piccolo Jr. DLC and they did it well. Even this one has a lot of new character models (everyone with their EoZ looks)
Like I said, crossover games. FighterZ is a fighting game that has characters from all over the franchise that the devs thought were good picks for the game. AFAIK, Legends & Dokkan Battle are the same type of set-up for crossover stuff.
Actually, it really didn't. They had to alter existing character models they already made for the game to match the ones from the arc's artstyle & character designs of both the manga & anime & they altered the Tournament arena to be more like the one from the arc too. Outside of that, they had to make new character models for kid Goku & Demon King Piccolo, like I said. Hell, the Bardock DLC had more new assets in it than that one.
Xeogran wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:39 pm It's not canon to Super, but still canon to Z anime.
Since you know, Z Bardock is in this game and he isn't canon to Super either.
Z Bardock was used because for 1, he was in Z material from that special & 2, Super/Minus Bardock is barely a character since he was just given some quick panels at the end of the Jaco manga & barely any screentime in Super: Broly because Toriyama decided to reboot the character into a more Jor-El type to make Goku more like Superman for some reason with his backstory when the original iteration of Bardock was much better. I think they also knew which version of Bardock most of the fans prefer because otherwise, they could've taken Minus Bardock & fleshed him out by taking elements from his original backstory & remixed everything into a hybrid retelling of it. But, no.

The main point is, they're not gonna do GT. GT barely gets any mention outside of crossover games that use the most memorable characters &/or moments from it (not standalone games), DVD releases, & action figures. I'd sooner expect DLCs based on the other movies than GT, TBH. Otherwise, they would've adapted more Super material than just the Battle of Gods & Resurrection F movies' plots that got adapted into Super.
Jord wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:48 pm Nobody gives a fuck whether a character is 'canon' or not. People care if the character is cool or not, and companies care if it sells.

Hell, just look at the FighterZ DLC.
Not true. Also, you've completely missed the point of what I'm saying.
Kakarot is a retelling of the original Manga arcs that got adapted into Z with various influences from the Z anime, some original things, & for some reason a crossover cameo from Towa & Mira that shows what they did in between Xenoverse 1 & 2. The DLCs up until this point, minus 1, have reflected that.
1. Battle of Gods was adapted into a short DLC that's for nothing more than grinding the playable characters up to 300.
2. Resurrection F, they adapted the story of the movie to fit better in the game's continuity (i.e. Freeza being alive again, thus not needing Sorbet to wish him back, the Ginyu Force & Freeza's main henchmen being brought back as well, it taking place pretty quickly after the defeat of Buu instead of years after, etc.).
3. The Trunks DLC showing what happened after he went back to the future & defeated 17, 18, & Cell in his time as well as adapted what was in the History of Trunks special pretty well, then adapting elements of what the Super manga explored during the Future Trunks Arc of Super.
4. The Bardock DLC adapted the TV special pretty faithfully with some minor expansions.
5. The 23rd World Tournament DLC adapted the original arc from the manga pretty well, though it's probably the second shortest of the DLCs after BOG.
6. The End of Z DLC is seeming to be the last thing they do with the game unless they unexpectedly announce another season pass.

They've just been adapting manga material with some things from the Z filler, BOG, Res F, & the 2 Z TV specials. I would not expect them to adapt anything from GT at all, sorry. It would be more lucrative for them to go further into Super territory & adapt the rest of those arcs from the Super anime & the last few movies. I don't expect that either, though. I think a whole new game would be better for that, ngl. I also think a whole new game for exploring the kid Goku stuff from the original Dragon Ball would be nice as well, but I don't expect that either regardless of how cool it'd be for them to shine a spotlight on OG DB for once.
And, let's put this into perspective here. The last GT-focused game was, what? Transformation & before that, Final Bout? 2 games devoted to GT & it was mainly because the GT anime was new at the time; Final Bout, it was new in Japan. Transformation, it was new in America. Both of them from around or over 20 years ago. It's a pipe dream to seriously expect them to do a GT game or story DLC for Kakarot just like it's a pipe dream to want them to do an OG DB game that's not made for Nintendo handhelds or the Wii. I'm just being real with you guys.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:50 am

Is there a physical copy available for PC of this game?

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:10 pm

If it was me and they wanted a season pass 3 I would do

Broly: Movie 8 and M10.

Cooler: Movie 5 and m6.

Gogeta: m12, hypothetical Gogeta vs Vegito boss fight where the player gets the option to control one or the other and gets two different ending cut scenes.

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:30 am

Truthfully, I can't see another season pass after this. End of Z is like the perfect bookend for a Z-focused game, chosen specifically to wrap up the whole Kakarot package. I'd be surprised if the DLCs continue.

Anything Super-related would most likely just warrant a new game altogether, but who knows if CC2 will keep pursuing Dragon Ball projects.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:22 pm

• Goku says the tournament happens once a year... not true. :eh:

• They kept the line that Goku and Bulma haven't seen each other for five years. I thought maybe they would change to something more vague and ambiguous, but if that line was kept, maybe there are no plans to "retcon" it. Not that there is a reason to do that right now, Goku and Bulma haven't seen each other since Dragon Ball Super Broly (or Moro saga, if I remember correctly. Both AGE 780).

• Some cool interactions between Goten and Pan and Pan and Bra, even if they are brief. Still, this game has done more than the entire franchise, which is unfortunate.

• They kept Piccolo's line about not entering because Goku is too strong, even though Piccolo has got two transformations now, he is around Goku level, according to the "power scalers" and some weird official statements too, apparently. And he also says "I'm too old for this", but this surely must be another English dub nonsense... Piccolo has still plenty of time to live, in fact, he will outlive everyone. Piccolo is just thirty-one years old (in Earth years), he's still way too young to be saying something like that.

• Damn, I was hoping they would choose the Kanzenban ending... That one should have become the regular ending by now. I was also expecting some more expansion, like the Goten and Pan fight, maybe even coming up with new ones. Oh well, too bad.

• That Goku and Vegeta rematch was weird. Pretty sure we would not see the return of Super Saiyan 2 and 3, unless they are cycling through the transformations. No recolors were used. Vegeta was wearing his armor for no reason whatsoever, and by the end of Z, Vegeta most certainly has Super Saiyan 3, so if Goku used it, Vegeta should have used it as well. Even though they are fully aware of how utterly pointless Super Saiyan 3 is.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:25 pm

Grimlock wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:22 pm • Goku says the tournament happens once a year... not true. :eh:

• They kept the line that Goku and Bulma haven't seen each other for five years. I thought maybe they would change to something more vague and ambiguous, but if that line was kept, maybe there are no plans to "retcon" it. Not that there is a reason to do that right now, Goku and Bulma haven't seen each other since Dragon Ball Super Broly (or Moro saga, if I remember correctly. Both AGE 780).

• Some cool interactions between Goten and Pan and Pan and Bra, even if they are brief. Still, this game has done more than the entire franchise, which is unfortunate.

• They kept Piccolo's line about not entering because Goku is too strong, even though Piccolo has got two transformations now, he is around Goku level, according to the "power scalers" and some weird official statements too, apparently. And he also says "I'm too old for this", but this surely must be another English dub nonsense... Piccolo has still plenty of time to live, in fact, he will outlive everyone. Piccolo is just thirty-one years old (in Earth years), he's still way too young to be saying something like that.

• Damn, I was hoping they would choose the Kanzenban ending... That one should have become the regular ending by now. I was also expecting some more expansion, like the Goten and Pan fight, maybe even coming up with new ones. Oh well, too bad.

• That Goku and Vegeta rematch was weird. Pretty sure we would not see the return of Super Saiyan 2 and 3, unless they are cycling through the transformations. No recolors were used. Vegeta was wearing his armor for no reason whatsoever, and by the end of Z, Vegeta most certainly has Super Saiyan 3, so if Goku used it, Vegeta should have used it as well. Even though they are fully aware of how utterly pointless Super Saiyan 3 is.
Was this it? Is this the whole DLC? They didn't add any side quests or anthing other new? What a disappointing DLC if so.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:36 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 6:17 pm Goku's Next Journey DLC trailer
You know I was going to ask if this would keep 1:1 with the original manga or maybe do a few changes because of Super, but then I saw a suggestion video which the final fight is against Vegeta that don't have acess/nor use his godly forms?

Well, nice for continuity reasons but also lame cuz this DLC should have Oob as a focus and not freaking Goku vs. Vegeta for the zillionth time.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:10 pm

Grimlock wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:22 pm • Some cool interactions between Goten and Pan and Pan and Bra, even if they are brief. Still, this game has done more than the entire franchise, which is unfortunate.
Hey, they both get to fuse in DB Fusions, I think this is the peak as far as we go :lol:

But yeah, kinda strange how this doesn't take anything from Super into attention, despite this game already having SSG and SSB, plus characters like Beerus, Whis and Golden Frieza. They went full on Z with this one, which is fair, but also feels weird for modern times considering we all follow Super, and this DLC is making the players feel like it doesn't matter.

Lukmendes
Regular

Post by Lukmendes » Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:00 pm

Did the other DLCs add their own community board? Because I was surprised when I saw EoZ getting its own stuff...
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:08 am My man, all Goku had to do was go SSJ3 and shock Vegeta so much the M on his head would have turned into an L and Buu would have never happened.

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:12 pm

This DLC is a total disappointment. So much wasted potential. This... the way it's been done... shouldn't even be a DLC.

edit: but it's still funny that Vegeta says to Trunks that he can say goodbye to his weekly allowance - Vegeta, the lazy, jobless bum.
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:21 pm

Trouser wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:12 pm This DLC is a total disappointment. So much wasted potential. This... the way it's been done... shouldn't even be a DLC.
Yep, I thought we would at least:

1. get to play as Uub before the World Tournament, walk around his village and do quests 'n stuff, would be charming
2. see where Goku lands with Uub in his village in the post game, and have CC2 improvise some training stuff.
Kuriza would have been a super welcome addition too.

They really didn't think this through, and instead we get a random Goku vs Vegeta match that's cool but still random for this story.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:51 pm

sangofe wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:25 pmWas this it? Is this the whole DLC? They didn't add any side quests or anthing other new? What a disappointing DLC if so.
I focused just on the parts I found worth commenting, there are side quests and such of course, but I skipped to the more interesting parts. That said, the few side quests I saw weren't that interesting, it's catching fish and some random stuff like that. Maybe I'm missing something (and hopefully I am). But yeah, the bulk of this DLC is just that. They didn't expand nor did anything "impactful".

Then again, I wasn't really expecting this one to be on Trunks DLC level of awesomeness. CyberConnect2 set the bar extremely high with that one, not even the Bardock DLC matched it. Anything "out-of-ordinary", "unexpected" and etc here would just mean we were very lucky to get.
Xeogran wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:21 pmThey really didn't think this through, and instead we get a random Goku vs Vegeta match that's cool but still random for this story.
Just random and senseless. From all the wrong decisions I already pointed out to the lack of coherence. If you want to have a Goku and Vegeta rematch at this point in time at least make a nod/reference to Dragon Ball Online, a big explosion or whatever, but not even that...
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:07 pm

Like I say dozens of times...they will never mess with EoZ, it's just not going to happen. So I don't think anyone should be surprised that the game keeps vague or doesn't mention at all anything that happens in Super. It would require massive restructuring of that epilogue to make it work, never mind the fighting that would occur among fans on whether or not it "canonizes" either the anime or manga adaptations of Super.

Also: They end it with Goku and Vegeta because that is the most obvious thing that you do, because Super the anime did it. And I can already tell that it'll have both characters strike their iconic poses from the Saiyan Saga because, again, that is the most obvious thing you would do. But yeah, it is dumb.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:09 am

I guess this is it! The last DLC for Kakarot. I must give some kudos to Bandai, to survive through covid times to this day and serving us fresh content still. Now there is Sparking! Zero looming on the horizon. Cool!

Can't wait to download and play this DLC, as EOZ was always my favorite part, with small sour aftertaste left by GT, screwing the original ending from the manga. I have been missing this story part since Kakarot released and left open ended (pretty much leaving the characters in the Super timeframe, with those two bonus Super DLCs).

I don't expect some huge changes beyond some filler story expansions with the updated characters and my only hope would be, to end it closer to the original manga ending with future adventures untold. Then I can leave this game happy :)

I will probably write my final verdict afterwards, although I can say right now, that Kakarot is the full DBZ adventure game, that I was waiting for since Legacy of Goku games. Only minus points go to the Cell arc not being on par with the other story contents, missing chunks and while the game is quite loaded with all the DLC at this moment, it's a pitty that they are not part of the main story chronologically plus with all the new character designs, the same enemies in main story feel even more lazy. While we can replay the Z story now starting with Bardock, missing OGDB content until the final fight with King Piccolo and with few hickups and bonus Super content, end with the epilogue, we have to do so in Star Wars fashion and with isolated progression, models etc. it's not as comfy and cool as it could've been. But Kakarot is the best way to experience the fullest adapted Z story in game to this day and for me, old and full time working, the best option compared to watching the old shows from start to finish.
I have started to rewatch the franchise again with DB 6 years ago, when I met my girlfriend, now we are married and after all this time, I am in Buu arc around Vegetto VS Buu fight :lol:
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

onefinegent

Post by onefinegent » Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:31 am

well, what appears to be the final dlc is finally here, i've completed both the main story, every sub story, and the secondary post game story. without spoiling anything, this dlc truly is not anything to write home about, and is really just a nice way to bookend the entire game, getting to spend time with the z version of these characters I'm assuming one last time before super does whatever it may or may not do with them. speaking of which, no super mentions at all! i was surprised, but i the more i sat with it, the more i've come to terms with it probably being for the best. this dlc was not bogged down and complicated by supplemental material, and i think its a better product because of it. but don't go into this dlc expecting UI, ego, beast, or orange piccolo to be anywhere near it.

i will get into some spoilers below for some extended thoughts, so be warned!
closing thoughts, if this is the last that kakarot is going to get, then i can't say it ended on a high note unfortunately. but i am glad that we finally are able see this part of the story in the game. overall i think i've spent close to 300 hours on this game over 2 different consoles, and have done all there is to do in on the pc version, so I'm glad to have this sendoff, however small it may be.

i can't wait to see where this franchise goes with game adaptations, i know sparking zero will probably have a story campaign mode, but i still would like to see an og dragonball game (i'd call it origins, but unfortunately thats already taken).

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:37 pm

So we are getting, apparently, the opportunity to play the original EoZ with some extra fights and whatnot, while, at the same time, the official continuation of the franchise is stepping all over it, with the once "retired" characters now among the strongest, the teens that had more down-to-Earth interests and needed to be forced into the tourney, now have SH gimmicks and none of that "you're slacking off too much" Goku was complaining about.

And it's awesome this way, a trip to the original DB, can't wait.

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:19 pm

I love End of Z. I love the aged characters. I love the rivalry between Goku and Vegeta.

This DLC was lame as fuck.

It sure would have been a nice opportunity to expand upon Oob's life with Goku after the tournament, even if they're just doing mundane stuff, since the story does go beyond the tournament. Instead, they opt to pad the shit out of the existing story by turning sparring matches and short skirmishes into full-fledged battles. Wild Tiger is one durable ass earthling.

They don't include the god forms for Goku and Vegeta's fight, even though Vegeta being in his Cell arc armor with an upgraded Super Saiyan 2 is a thing that's straight out of Battle of Gods. I don't think anyone can claim they're adhering to the original Z continuity or even their own continuity; they can't decide whether to play it safe or commit to adding new content. Also, Vegeta wants to "destroy" Goku and there's a bunch of Naruto style flashbacks mid-fight. Am I playing Kakarot or Ultimate Ninja Storm?

Lastly, the postgame is flat. The subquests are flat. There's a whole collectible centered around recycled boss fights and "memories" from the base game now. What am I even playing?

All around, just a mediocre send-off for an otherwise decent game. I'm not mad, CC2, I'm just disappointed. The previous DLC was so much better.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:47 pm

If super ever decides to recontextualize EoZ--it certainly won't happen in a video game.

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:06 am

I wasn't a fan of some of the inconsistencies in the writing here. Goku recognises Bulla who is 4 years old but hasn't seen Bulma (and she implies her family) for 5 years.

Then while I enjoyed the fight at the end, it really seemed they were going to have Vegeta go Super Saiyan 3 to match Goku and they just made him SSJ2... why not have fun with it in a what if story. No post game with Uub was weird too, we could have easily visited his village (could have just been one of the villages already in the game honestly) and met his family (I had forgotten he had 5 siblings).

Sub stories were more disappointing this time round too and I stand by Kakarot's fighting system being very shallow and repetitive. Why do these short 2 hour DLC's feel the need to throw the whole gambit or RPG elements at us. Why would I bother with cooking, meal tickets, farming z orbs and training when I can breeze through all the fights anyway (except stupid overworld enemies who are stronger than any main fight in the DLC...) Just give us access to everything at the start and let us have fun with it.

The Histoy of Trunks DLC still reigns supreme for me, followed by Bardock. Everything else while fun enough just wasn't up to par with those two. As great as it was to see two arcs that I don't think have been represented in any modern way in a video game, the tournament arcs obviously don't lend themselves well to a game, especially if the developer isn't willing to create movesets for all the characters in the tournament.

I think Kakarot has now run its course and it will probably be viewed in history as the best recreation of the Dragon Ball storyline to date. It was about time Dragon Ball got an 'open world' game like this and I think they did a fine job with it.