If Thanos appeared, would Goku hand him the stones?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

uncutpokemon
Not-So-Newbie

If Thanos appeared, would Goku hand him the stones?

Post by uncutpokemon » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:41 am

If Thanos showed up in the DB universe in search of the infinity stones of universe 7, would Goku willingly hand Thanos the stones so that he can fight him at his strongest? Same with Vegeta, would he do the same?

theherodjl
I Live Here

Re: If Thanos appeared, would Goku hand him the stones?

Post by theherodjl » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:02 am

If they are both largely in the dark about what the complete function & capability of the Infinity Gems is, Goku & Vegeta might allow Thanos to collect them if it means that he will later spar with the Saiyan duo. If Goku & Vegeta are both well-informed about the real nature of the Infinity Gems however, they certainly would not allow Thanos to collect them. Depending on if this were comic Thanos or MCU Thanos, Goku & Vegeta would either succeed or fail if Thanos managed to collect even 1 gem anyways.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:09 am

uncutpokemon wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:41 am If Thanos showed up in the DB universe in search of the infinity stones of universe 7, would Goku willingly hand Thanos the stones so that he can fight him at his strongest? Same with Vegeta, would he do the same?
Depends on which era of Goku. Pre Freeza Goku wouldn't as that Goku seemed to understand the difference between a challenge and a threat. Post Freeza Goku on the other hand likely would.

All pre Buu versions of Vegeta likely would as well
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

Melee_Sovereign
Temporarily Banned

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:19 am

The stones don't increase Thanos' personal physical power. They're more like a weapon. I don't see either Goku or Vegeta letting Thanos have the stones. That would be like Goku letting Frieza wish for immortality.

RedRibbonSoldier#42
Regular

Post by RedRibbonSoldier#42 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:19 am

Gokuu wouldn't get a fight out of it so no. Thanos would just be like Zen-ou and wipe the universe.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:10 pm

Is there a case where Goku let a villain have the Dragon Balls?

The deal with Frieza in the Tournament of Power doesn't really count, since Whis gave Frieza his body.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

DBFanTalk

Post by DBFanTalk » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:05 pm

Are you suggesting base Thanos can't match the Saiyans?

Melee_Sovereign
Temporarily Banned

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:08 pm

DBFanTalk wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:05 pm Are you suggesting base Thanos can't match the Saiyans?
I don't think he could.

DBFanTalk

Post by DBFanTalk » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:56 pm

Melee_Sovereign wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:08 pm
DBFanTalk wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:05 pm Are you suggesting base Thanos can't match the Saiyans?
I don't think he could.
Why is that?

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:03 pm

MCU Thanos stands no chance obviously...but comic Thanos once took on Champion, who despite having wielded the Power Gem, was toyed around with by Thanos. As powerful as Goku & Vegeta are, they're not quite that mighty. I'd say it would at least take Hakaishin-tier fighters to physically tangle with a serious comic Thanos.

Melee_Sovereign
Temporarily Banned

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:50 pm

theherodjl wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:03 pm MCU Thanos stands no chance obviously...but comic Thanos once took on Champion, who despite having wielded the Power Gem, was toyed around with by Thanos. As powerful as Goku & Vegeta are, they're not quite that mighty. I'd say it would at least take Hakaishin-tier fighters to physically tangle with a serious comic Thanos.
If we're to believe SSJG Goku is powerful enough to destroy a universe, then I don't think base Thanos is at that level. I don't think he's ever been a universal threat without some sort of artifact enhancing his power.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:01 pm

The IG probably won't work if he was in the DB universe. In the 616 Universe, Goku would probably do it to see how powerful he is. IG 616 Thanos would beat any form of Goku in my opinion. MCU Thanos is probably at Nappa level if you ask me.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:29 pm

Melee_Sovereign wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:50 pmIf we're to believe SSJG Goku is powerful enough to destroy a universe, then I don't think base Thanos is at that level. I don't think he's ever been a universal threat without some sort of artifact enhancing his power.
That was the result of Beerus and Goku's power colliding, not simply Goku's power.
Thanos has fought a variety of superheroes, other super villains, Gods, cosmic entities, and beings wielding cosmic artifacts without him enhancing his own power or using some kind of universe/multiverse-ending device. Given that SSJB Goku(and most Ki-users in general) is susceptible to life-threatening injuries from a casual raygun if he drops his guard, Thanos would most certainly be able to kill him.

Melee_Sovereign
Temporarily Banned

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:50 pm

theherodjl wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:29 pm
That was the result of Beerus and Goku's power colliding, not simply Goku's power.
The narrator outright said Goku and Beerus are fighting with enough power to destroy the universe.

Thanos has fought a variety of superheroes, other super villains, Gods, cosmic entities, and beings wielding cosmic artifacts without him enhancing his own power or using some kind of universe/multiverse-ending device.
Were any of them universe threatening? Just saying he's fought a bunch of super heroes, super villains and cosmic entities, doesn't tell me much.

Given that SSJB Goku(and most Ki-users in general) is susceptible to life-threatening injuries from a casual raygun if he drops his guard, Thanos would most certainly be able to kill him.
If he drops his guard, which essentially just means he's not using his ki to protect his physical body. It's not a guaranteed victory for his opponent. By that same token, we can point out Thanos' weakness, such that he has a psychological insecurity where he sometimes doesn't believe he deserves to win, and ends up losing on purpose.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:14 pm

Melee_Sovereign wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:50 pmThe narrator outright said Goku and Beerus are fighting with enough power to destroy the universe.

Were any of them universe threatening? Just saying he's fought a bunch of super heroes, super villains and cosmic entities, doesn't tell me much.

If he drops his guard, which essentially just means he's not using his ki to protect his physical body. It's not a guaranteed victory for his opponent. By that same token, we can point out Thanos' weakness, such that he has a psychological insecurity where he sometimes doesn't believe he deserves to win, and ends up losing on purpose.
Exactly, it said "Goku AND Beerus". Not "Goku alone can bust the universe". If Goku could then why hasn't he so much as ruffled up the Earth while using SSJB Kaio-ken? Or MUI in SDBH?

Some of them are galaxy busters and if Champion was using even a fraction of the Power Gem's strength, he could smash apart planets similar to how Beerus & Champa did in their flashback.

Actually, Goku can be killed easily even if he is on guard. Hit stopped Goku's heart with a coordinated strike, all Thanos needs to do is target one of Goku's organs and he's dead. Hell, with matter manipulation, Thanos could turn Goku's heart into a chunk of ice and instantly kill him.

Melee_Sovereign
Temporarily Banned

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:46 pm

theherodjl wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:14 pm
Exactly, it said "Goku AND Beerus". Not "Goku alone can bust the universe".
So Goku can bust half a universe then? That's still immensely powerful. That still begs the question whether Base Thanos is around that level or not.

Never mind the fact that Goku got multiple times more powerful than this later on. Never mind he can multply the God power with Super Saiyan and with Kaioken.

Some of them are galaxy busters and if Champion was using even a fraction of the Power Gem's strength, he could smash apart planets similar to how Beerus & Champa did in their flashback.
Half of a universe > galaxy buster, and certainly >>>> planet buster.

Actually, Goku can be killed easily even if he is on guard. Hit stopped Goku's heart with a coordinated strike, all Thanos needs to do is target one of Goku's organs and he's dead. Hell, with matter manipulation, Thanos could turn Goku's heart into a chunk of ice and instantly kill him.
Thanos hasn't used that ability since like the 1970s, and he used it on a weak minion at that. He probably doesn't even have that ability anymore, and I don't think he's ever used it on anyone that's even decently powerful.

And Hit uses an invisible energy attack that passes through physical matter (and probably passes through ki at that). Once Goku knew the nature of the attack, he knew how to defend against it.