Dialects in Dragon Ball?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Dialects in Dragon Ball?

Post by floofychan333 » Fri May 15, 2020 6:46 pm

If all goes well, I'll be studying in Nagoya for a semester in September, and I've been using a lot of resources to practice my Japanese with. I know that understanding different dialects will be important to my functioning in daily life in Japan as I'll hopefully be going all around the country while I'm there. I've been watching some of the subbed Dragon Ball episodes with King Piccolo in honour of Piccolo Day recently, and I've been wondering if any of the characters speak in dialects of Japanese. I've heard that Yajirobe speaks in a dialect, which is why he spoke in a somewhat "low class" sounding American accent in the English dub, but I'm wondering if any of the other characters do. Any insight on this?
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

MyVisionity
Banned

Re: Dialects in Dragon Ball?

Post by MyVisionity » Fri May 15, 2020 7:34 pm

Yajirobe speaks in the Nagoya dialect, probably to differentiate him from Kuririn.

Chichi and Gyuu-maou both speak in a Tōhoku regional dialect, which are often used in Japanese media to represent the stereotypical country folk.