Dragon Ball Super Manga sales, compared to the anime

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

God
Banned

Dragon Ball Super Manga sales, compared to the anime

Post by God » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:06 am

So recently I came across this topic while doing some cognitive research, and to give you a short synopsis the Dragon Ball Super anime (in their collective 22 Box Set DVD / Blu-ray releases) only sold a grand total of 14,245 units in Japan.

And I thought it'd be interesting to create a topic like that but for the manga instead, just so we can see how these two mediums stack up to each other and do a little comparing/contrasting. Also this is only including the canon Japanese tankōbon release sales, and not the sales of the digital or full-color digital releases that we don't know.

One thing to note is how in the other topic, discussing the sales of the anime, it included the sales in the USA and the same could be done for the manga because there's a site that details this, however the actual numbers are hidden behind a paid wall. So as a result I won't be including the USA sales (unless someone either has the numbers or a subscription to that site), but just looking at what's publicly available the Dragon Ball Super manga is a constant top-seller. And honestly speaking even if I were to include the USA sales from the anime and manga, it wouldn't change much. I digress though, here's the sales:

JAPAN
Volume 1 (April 4, 2016):
- Total Units Sold: 310,005

Volume 2 (December 2, 2016):
- Total Units Sold: 284,337

Volume 3 (June 2, 2017):
- Total Units Sold: 236,720

Volume 4 (November 2, 2017):
- Total Units Sold: 267,417

Volume 5 (March 2, 2018):
- Total Units Sold: 400,000

Volume 6 (June 4, 2018):
- Total Units Sold: 216,871

Volume 7 (September 4, 2018):
- Total Units Sold: 208,796

Volume 8 (December 4, 2018):
- Total Units Sold: 314,269

Volume 9 (April 4, 2019)*:
- Total Units Sold: 188,027
Volume 10 (August 2, 2019):
- Total Units Sold: 196,204

Volume 11 (December 4, 2019):
- Total Units Sold: 119,283

Volume 12 (April 3, 2020):
- Total Units Sold: 146,305

Volumes 1-12:
- Grand Total Units Sold (bare minimum): 2,888,361

Going off of these numbers the manga sold 203 times better than the anime, just from the Japanese tankōbon release alone; with a single volume outselling the entirety of the anime's collected releases. Interesting stuff. I think I'm starting to see why the anime is no longer airing.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Re: Dragon Ball Super Manga sales, compared to the anime

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:15 am

This is so silly. Anime release was ¥10-14k per volume while the manga is only a couple hundred yen... It's literally as apples and oranges as you can get, not to even mention the success of the anime wasn't dependant on anime sales so it has absolutely nothing to do with why it isn't on air that's because DBS is making so much money it doesn't need to air.

God
Banned

Post by God » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:19 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:15 am This is so silly. Anime release was ¥10-14k per volume while the manga is only a couple hundred yen... It's literally as apples and oranges as you can get, not to even mention the success of the anime wasn't dependant on anime sales.
And then you realize the manga volumes made x7 the revenue (¥1,363,306,392 vs ¥188,600,000) despite only costing a fraction of the price, all of this ignoring a single manga volume is WAAY cheaper to produce than an anime set (that includes much more than just the episodes), meaning the manga's profit is even greater. Sorry but no way you try to spin it 2,888,361 > 14,256 / ¥1,363,306,392 > ¥188,600,000.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:17 am

Your data is interesting, but your conclusion, "I think I'm starting to see why the anime is no longer airing", is flawed.

The TV show itself is NEVER the main product when it comes to any kind of animated property like this. Dragon Ball is much the same as any American cartoon in this regard; yes, a TV show is being produced, and to the consumers, that's the main event, but animated TV is expensive, and never makes much money on its own; all the actual money is in merchandise. And by god, Super is selling merchandise like there's no tomorrow.

Toys, video games, the manga, etc. That's the main business. Fetch some numbers regarding the toys and video games, add those to what they're earning from the manga, and you'll start to see why Super is considered a successful venture.
On top of this, it's worth looking into ratings numbers for Super's Japanese TV airings, if you can; then imagine those are ratings numbers for advertising for the merchandise (because, as far as the business side is concerned, that's what the show is for -- to make people decide to buy merchandise).

Now, finally, apply this simple logic: Currently, the Dragon Ball brand is persisting okay without any new storylines on TV (though there is one in the rather-well-selling manga, at least, though I don't think it's anywhere near as popular as Super was on TV, or as Broly was in cinema). New storylines means new merch opportunities, so if they're not spending time airing new storylines on TV with new characters, transformations, moments, etc. to merchandise, then they're effectively wasting time. So, logically, Toei are probably working on SOMETHING new to generate new merchandise opportunities. Might be a TV continuation, or it might be another movie. Personally, I'm betting on a movie being the next thing we see, but it's hard to know for sure.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:09 am

God wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:19 am
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:15 am This is so silly. Anime release was ¥10-14k per volume while the manga is only a couple hundred yen... It's literally as apples and oranges as you can get, not to even mention the success of the anime wasn't dependant on anime sales.
And then you realize the manga volumes made x7 the revenue (¥1,363,306,392 vs ¥188,600,000) despite only costing a fraction of the price, all of this ignoring a single manga volume is WAAY cheaper to produce than an anime set (that includes much more than just the episodes), meaning the manga's profit is even greater. Sorry but no way you try to spin it 2,888,361 > 14,256 / ¥1,363,306,392 > ¥188,600,000.
You are completely missing the point here I am not disputing the that the manga has made more money than BD sales, but the anime and manga are completely different and have different goals this comparing sales is utterly stupid. Manga solely relies on physical sales because it doesn't get marketed outside it's medium, for the anime BD sales are considered a bonus.
Robo4900 wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:17 am Your data is interesting, but your conclusion, "I think I'm starting to see why the anime is no longer airing", is flawed.

The TV show itself is NEVER the main product when it comes to any kind of animated property like this. Dragon Ball is much the same as any American cartoon in this regard; yes, a TV show is being produced, and to the consumers, that's the main event, but animated TV is expensive, and never makes much money on its own; all the actual money is in merchandise. And by god, Super is selling merchandise like there's no tomorrow.

Toys, video games, the manga, etc. That's the main business. Fetch some numbers regarding the toys and video games, add those to what they're earning from the manga, and you'll start to see why Super is considered a successful venture.
On top of this, it's worth looking into ratings numbers for Super's Japanese TV airings, if you can; then imagine those are ratings numbers for advertising for the merchandise (because, as far as the business side is concerned, that's what the show is for -- to make people decide to buy merchandise).

Now, finally, apply this simple logic: Currently, the Dragon Ball brand is persisting okay without any new storylines on TV (though there is one in the rather-well-selling manga, at least, though I don't think it's anywhere near as popular as Super was on TV, or as Broly was in cinema). New storylines means new merch opportunities, so if they're not spending time airing new storylines on TV with new characters, transformations, moments, etc. to merchandise, then they're effectively wasting time. So, logically, Toei are probably working on SOMETHING new to generate new merchandise opportunities. Might be a TV continuation, or it might be another movie. Personally, I'm betting on a movie being the next thing we see, but it's hard to know for sure.
Actually I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't working on anything unless it is creative. Bandai are reluctant to market anything new about 80% of DBS was left unmarketed and DB right now is making more than it ever did on air so there really is no need for more animated material unless it was a story they really wanted to tell.

For the first time in Dragon Ball's entire history there is afforded time for new material.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:10 am

I'd be interested to compare this to the U.S statistics. Dragon Ball must be popular enough that VIZ still holds the license/even translates it but out in the wild I have never seen anyone talk about the Manga. The Anime on the other hand.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:32 am

eledoremassis02 wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:10 am I'd be interested to compare this to the U.S statistics. Dragon Ball must be popular enough that VIZ still holds the license/even translates it but out in the wild I have never seen anyone talk about the Manga. The Anime on the other hand.
The most recent reportable volume (8) came in at 15 on the April 2020 NY Times "Graphic Books and Manga" Best-Sellers list.

It's well-known that manga outsells American comics by an exponential degree, for what it's worth.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

God
Banned

Post by God » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:41 am

Robo4900 wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:17 am Your data is interesting, but your conclusion, "I think I'm starting to see why the anime is no longer airing", is flawed.

All true, but the thing is the DBS anime doesn't need to exist anymore, partly due to it serving its purpose and just being no where near as successful / profitable as the manga. Which is why Toei/Shueisha have decided their resources are better spent on some promotional anime for Heroes, that takes up the anime's mantle of advertising merchandise, while simultaneously directly advertising a widely successful card game.

People who STILL think Dragon Ball Super will receive another anime are, simply put, delusional. Creating a new anime at this point for Toei/Shueisha is just a waste of money, time, and other resources considering how much more money Heroes (which they're promoting), the manga, and the movies make.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:00 pm

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhaha...NO.

I gotta admit I was itching to make a discussion ever since I saw you arrogantly assume things about Dragon Ball that were totally false and that you know more than people that researched Dragon Ball and its various media for more than 20 years, I'm not talking about me but rather Ajay and Mr Vegetto EX. But I didnt want to do with without a reason so thank you for being this obnoxious.

I think you are forgetting a BIG BIG BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIG part of Dragon Ball's profits sources. Which is... Drum roll please...

Traditional Advertising money!

You seriously Dragon Ball only makes money via some hilariously low Home Video sales? Sure Traditional TV isnt what it used to but its still A MULTI BILLION dollar industry for a reason you know. Ratings for DBS have been consistently outstanding wherever it goes. Special mention goes to Brazil where the premiere pulled 3 MILLION people. And in the USA its been among,if not, THE highest rated show the night it aired during its premiere run. And its airing on many other countries to major success.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9xBKizQntU
And if that doesnt make it clear(I know it wont since you are so fucking set on your ways) then the sales made via Crunchyroll and other online streaming services will. Heck look at these people watching Goku VS Jiren on a MOSH PIT. This event got so huge that Toei had to issue a message on their website begging Latin Americans to not do that. Sure this Mosh Pit watched the show illegally but it goes to show how "deluded" you really are. For better of worse the anime pulls waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more money than that manga ever will.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

God
Banned

Post by God » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:55 am

:yawn: I get it, you like the anime, but the facts remain.

2,888,361 (¥1,363,306,392) is FAR greater than 14,245 (¥188,600,000), and unless you have numbers that refute this, proving the anime is actually more financially successful, I think it's pointless trying to argue against the facts.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:44 am

God wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:55 am :yawn: I get it, you like the anime, but the facts remain.

2,888,361 (¥1,363,306,392) is FAR greater than 14,245 (¥188,600,000), and unless you have numbers that refute this, proving the anime is actually more financially successful, I think it's pointless trying to argue against the facts.
You just completely ignored everything Cure Dragon said.

This isn't a counter-argument, it's an ignorant dismissal, and honestly, a rather rude one.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:05 pm

Let him remain in his little world of delusion. Robo. If he doesnt care to refute any of my points, I dont care to talk to him either.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

God
Banned

Post by God » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:46 am

Robo4900 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:44 am
God wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:55 am :yawn: I get it, you like the anime, but the facts remain.

You just completely ignored everything Cure Dragon said.

This isn't a counter-argument, it's an ignorant dismissal, and honestly, a rather rude one.
He has no actual numbers and is just speculating, his "argument" doesn't have any ground to stand on.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:57 am

Data requires interpretation and context. You have to compare apples to apples.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

God
Banned

Post by God » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:33 am

Apparently comparing the anime's physical sales (including BOTH the DVD and Blu-ray sales) to the manga's physical sales (tankōbon only) is not allowed if it makes the anime look really bad :think: :lol:

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:41 am

God wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:33 am Apparently comparing the anime's physical sales (including BOTH the DVD and Blu-ray sales) to the manga's physical sales (tankōbon only) is not allowed if it makes the anime look really bad :think: :lol:
You can pretend that's what's happening all you like, but thus far, you've done nothing to even engage with the discussion you're so readily dismissing.

God
Banned

Post by God » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:44 am

Robo4900 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:41 am
God wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:33 am Apparently comparing the anime's physical sales (including BOTH the DVD and Blu-ray sales) to the manga's physical sales (tankōbon only) is not allowed if it makes the anime look really bad :think: :lol:
You can pretend that's what's happening all you like, but thus far, you've done nothing to even engage with the discussion you're so readily dismissing.
No one has came up with an argument. All I've read so far is "you can't compare these sales, it's apples to oranges (because it makes the anime look bad)" and "physical sales don't matter!"

If someone has an actual argument with factual evidence that refutes the facts we see (2,888,361 > 14,245) I'm waiting to see it.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:33 am

God wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:44 am No one has came up with an argument. All I've read so far is "you can't compare these sales, it's apples to oranges (because it makes the anime look bad)" and "physical sales don't matter!"

If someone has an actual argument with factual evidence that refutes the facts we see (2,888,361 > 14,245) I'm waiting to see it.
Except your entire argument is on the false pretense that the only factor in success is sales of physical media, which is the entire premise of the counter-arguments against you, and it's a premise you've completely rejected -- and very rudely so, I will add.

God
Banned

Post by God » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:45 am

The comparison is about the physical sales of the manga vs anime, if you can't handle the anime selling far worse than the manga don't post in this topic. I'm open to counter-arguments, that include evidence, but doing nothing outside of crying over the manga selling x203 more and earning x7 the revenue is pointless and a waste of your time.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:34 am

God wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:45 am The comparison is about the physical sales of the manga vs anime, if you can't handle the anime selling far worse than the manga don't post in this topic. I'm open to counter-arguments, that include evidence, but doing nothing outside of crying over the manga selling x203 more and earning x7 the revenue is pointless and a waste of your time.
Here's a little secret:

No one except for you is invested in whether the manga or the anime is selling better in physical media. "Can't handle" one selling better than the other, or "crying over" sales figures is blatantly either projection, or an attempt to discredit those who are attempting to engage with you in conversation.

You haven't uncovered some grand conspiracy that people "can't handle", you're making a fuss about some sales figures, and acting like people who think there are more important factors to success are trying to deny your findings... Well, near as I can figure, not a single person in this thread has disputed that the physical sales of the manga volumes are greater than the physical sales of the TV show.

But, again, the point people have been trying to make is that physical media sales don't mean much insofar as overall success is concerned, and your attempts to relate the physical sales to the fact the anime's not on anymore is deeply flawed.
In other words: No one is disputing your data, only your conclusions.

So, the question here is, are you PURELY concerned about the physical media, and don't care about the overall success of one version vs the other? And if so, then relating your findings to the anime no longer being on TV is entirely inappropriate...
Or, are you using this as a vector through which to measure success of one vs the other? And if so, then others and myself are correct in pointing out that you're completely ignoring toy sales, advertising money, etc. I mean... Have you even considered the fact that, if you add both approximate total revenue numbers together, you get a number that's less than $15 million? This is fucking POCKET CHANGE. According to Comicbook.com, Bandai Namco earned $1.1 billion from Dragon Ball in 2018, and Toei Animation earned about $180 million. If you think the physical anime or manga sales contributed any significant amount to either of these numbers, you're delusional.

So... Yes, the manga outsells the anime in physical media sales. Okay. That's mildly interesting. But your conclusions in regards to "I can see why the anime isn't on TV anymore" is crazy, and any ideas that people "can't handle" or are "crying over" which version is more successul is nonsense. Neither version's physical sales is a big moneymaker, the big moneymakers are merchandise, advertising money, etc.

And for the record, I'm saying this as someone who prefers the manga, and overall doesn't think Super is that good a show (I've lightened up about it a lot recently, but IMO it's still the weakest incarnation of the franchise overall... But it pulls in money like no tomorrow, mainly from Super -- as a brand overall -- raising awareness for more general Dragon Ball franchise merch sales, bringing in hype for video games, etc. And for money earned off the new movies when those happen, advertising money from the anime, etc. The anime, thanks to ad money, etc. is probably making more money than the manga overall, but to be honest, this is all likely dwarfed by the amount of money the video games that the two versions of Super are generating hype for, as well as action figure sales, etc.).