Question about Funimation's remastering process

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Banduck

Question about Funimation's remastering process

Post by Banduck » Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:18 am

Does anyone know how Funimation's remastering process works? Which filters would I have to use to get a similar result?
I am especially interested in how the "watercolor" look was achieved.
I know most of you hate this look, but I'd like to know what DB and GT would look like with the same remaster.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Re: Question about Funimation's remastering process

Post by mute_proxy » Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:20 am

There's a spanish BluRay release of DB you can check to see the result (it's kinda worse though)

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:16 am

Take a nice version of Dragon Ball. Levels, Dragon Boxes, original singles, anything really.
Funimation started with a nicely cleaned-up version that underwent an extensive process to remove dirt, scratches, tape marks, etc., resulting in something similar to the Levels, but with the full film frame showing.

Step 1: Blur it enough that the grain goes away.
You could use some level of temporal denoising too, or some other smart kind of denoiser, but essentially all denoisers boil down to a blurring process.
The result should look a lot like Dragon Ball Kai, but even blurrier/softer.

Step 2: Run a sharpening filter on a high intensity setting.
The reason why the shading is really sharp-edged, but the outlines and such are blurry and indistinct is that, to counterract the blurriness of their denoiser, they ran a sharpening filter. Superficially, it restores some of the image sharpness, but it also damages the picture and creates halos.
Fundamentally, this is the filter that causes the most controversy about Funimation's filtering; on one hand, casual viewers appreciate the sharp look, but on the other hand, this is what destroys the texture of the backgrounds, creates halos, makes the inconsistent sharpness in the image in general, etc...
If you want Dragon Ball to look like Funimation's remastering, though, this is the key filter that gives that look.

Optional step 3: Crop it to widescreen.
Even those who don't mind step 2 generally hate this step, but it's a critical part of why a lot of people hate the OBs and Season BDs in particular. Crop the picture to widescreen.
Realistically, you'll get worse results than Funi got if you apply this to already-4:3 footage, since Funi's 16:9 crop allows them to show extra picture on the sides, meaning the overall picture can be a bit bigger than if it was just a dumb 16:9 centre crop of a ready-made 4:3 picture.
But, if you're determined to get, specifically, the OB/Season BD look exactly right, then you'll want to crop. The Orange Bricks used a universal centre-crop; only the 16:9 portion of the picture in the middle of the frame is visible. The Season BDs were reframed shot-by-shot manually by someone at Funi.

--

However, before you go applying this filter, note that Funimation's movie remasters don't look like the series. The reason is that Funi's goal with remastering Dragon Ball Z is to make it look like a low-grain show that was shot on 35mm film, with a medium DNR on top. Something akin to Batman: The Animated Series, or Funi's own remasters of the DBZ movies (as well as Toei's Blu-ray remaster of those same movies).
The reason the series has its unique, controversial look is that Funi are more concerned with the grainless look than they are with having something representing the original artistic intent of the show. Realistically, if you want to go for a look approximating what Funi are going for, without making it look all shitty, you should aim to have it look like either DBZ Kai, or the Animax/Toei remasters of the two TV specials; degrained and quite soft, but with very little (if any) sharpening.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Banduck

Post by Banduck » Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:36 pm

mute_proxy wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:20 am There's a spanish BluRay release of DB you can check to see the result (it's kinda worse though)
You mean the Selecta Vision remaster? I don't think it looks like the Funimation remaster at all.
Robo4900 wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:16 am Step 2: Run a sharpening filter on a high intensity setting.
The reason why the shading is really sharp-edged, but the outlines and such are blurry and indistinct is that, to counterract the blurriness of their denoiser, they ran a sharpening filter. Superficially, it restores some of the image sharpness, but it also damages the picture and creates halos.
Fundamentally, this is the filter that causes the most controversy about Funimation's filtering; on one hand, casual viewers appreciate the sharp look, but on the other hand, this is what destroys the texture of the backgrounds, creates halos, makes the inconsistent sharpness in the image in general, etc...
If you want Dragon Ball to look like Funimation's remastering, though, this is the key filter that gives that look.
First of all, thanks for the detailed explanation :)
This is the thing I don't understand - when I use a sharpening filter it looks like this:
Yes the background art looks a bit like Funimation , but the foreground objects/characters are extremely oversharpened.
I have tried different filters, this one was actually the one with the "best" result.
I also tried to use a strong dehalo filter after that, but then the picture got blurry again.

I read that Funimation used "Digital Vision Phoenix" for the DBZ remaster. More precisely the "DVO Clarity" filter.
But unfortunately the software doesn't seem to be available to the public.
Robo4900 wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:16 am Realistically, if you want to go for a look approximating what Funi are going for, without making it look all shitty, you should aim to have it look like either DBZ Kai, or the Animax/Toei remasters of the two TV specials; degrained and quite soft, but with very little (if any) sharpening.
Yeah I'm just experimenting a little bit, I don't think I'm going to remaster the whole show.
Because of DBZ and all the remastering discussions related to it, I'm starting to get interested in this kind of stuff :)

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:57 pm

Avisynth's WarpSharp will give you that Funi look.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Lightningexpose
Banned

Post by Lightningexpose » Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:18 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:16 am
That was a lot of words to guide him no closer to what he actually wants. I see you really don’t want to see more of that filtering :P

As for how it’s actually done, it doesn’t even require DNR. I still have an image from years ago where I feel it pretty much nails “the Funi look” and didn’t require DNR:

Sadly this was so long ago and I can’t remember the exact tool used but it might be the one Ajay said.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:16 pm

Lightningexpose wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:18 pm That was a lot of words to guide him no closer to what he actually wants. I see you really don’t want to see more of that filtering :P
My understanding is that Funi's Blu-rays use heavy DNR and heavy sharpening to achieve their look (Ajay seems to think WarpSharp is the specific sharpening filter to use), which is exactly what I said in my post, and exactly what OP was asking for.

If I'm wrong, by all means, explain your understanding of it.

Lightningexpose
Banned

Post by Lightningexpose » Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:31 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:16 pm
Well, the author is asking for the “Funimation” look, I.e. that shower-glass looking ugliness. He says above that he does not regard Selecta’s DB remaster to be in the same category.

Your process, though, (barring step 3) just outlines how to achieve the Selecta look. DNR+sharpen. So yeah I made a joke about it being a very long winded way of not helping achieve the look.

My post highlighted that despite Funi using DNR, to get that signature shower glass-looking aesthetic they have it ultimately comes down to one type of filter that I had in my hands back in the day but don’t remember its exact name anymore. And that it doesn’t require DNR to achieve the look.

The thread’s title is “funimation’s remastering process” so it makes sense you listed out their process, but if it wasn’t gonna help the OP achieve the look you may as well have just said “they scan the film in HD then do some filtering” :P

Banduck

Post by Banduck » Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:44 am

Lightningexpose wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:18 pm As for how it’s actually done, it doesn’t even require DNR. I still have an image from years ago where I feel it pretty much nails “the Funi look” and didn’t require DNR:
Lightningexpose wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:31 pm Your process, though, (barring step 3) just outlines how to achieve the Selecta look. DNR+sharpen. So yeah I made a joke about it being a very long winded way of not helping achieve the look.
Yeah, the lines in your picture look like in Funimation's remaster, but I was actually referring to the whole remastering process, including the DNR.
I was especially interested in how Funimation managed to make the background art so sharp and at the same time not oversharpen the foreground art.
After a lot of trial and error I managed to achieve a similar look, but I think you really need Digital Vision Phoenix to achieve exactly the same look.

Also, I think you can't compare the Funi and Selecta remaster.
The Selecta remaster has a rather soft look, and looks more faithful to the original.
Example:

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:58 am

Lightningexpose wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:31 pm
Robo4900 wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:16 pm
Well, the author is asking for the “Funimation” look, I.e. that shower-glass looking ugliness. He says above that he does not regard Selecta’s DB remaster to be in the same category.

Your process, though, (barring step 3) just outlines how to achieve the Selecta look. DNR+sharpen. So yeah I made a joke about it being a very long winded way of not helping achieve the look.

My post highlighted that despite Funi using DNR, to get that signature shower glass-looking aesthetic they have it ultimately comes down to one type of filter that I had in my hands back in the day but don’t remember its exact name anymore. And that it doesn’t require DNR to achieve the look.

The thread’s title is “funimation’s remastering process” so it makes sense you listed out their process, but if it wasn’t gonna help the OP achieve the look you may as well have just said “they scan the film in HD then do some filtering” :P
lol. Good points, I guess.

I just assumed DNR+sharpen would yield the Funi look since that's how Funi did it. I guess it depends on the filter.

Lightningexpose
Banned

Post by Lightningexpose » Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:24 pm

No you don’t need their Phoenix whatever software. At the end of the day, all video/image filters can be programmed using any programming language.

I still have some more examples from back in the day:
https://imgsli.com/MjE2ODg
https://imgsli.com/MjE2ODc

As you can see it’s very much like Funi’s remastering process post-scan. Applied on levels and it might be exactly that.

You can rest assured I wasn’t using their software since iirc I did these before the season sets. I was like 14 and on a mission to get “HD DBZ” and of course to my 14 year-old eyes this looked to be it. I didn’t think it would also be it in the eyes of so called professionals working at funimation, though. I should’ve patented it to prevent it getting on official releases

Anyway, I can get this filtering again by programming from scratch on Python with some CV libraries but I don’t have the time to do that right now. If I ever do I’ll post the script here.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:58 pm

Can you post clips? I wonder if it does the cloud dance

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:18 am

in this topic name "remastering" sound more like an insult than anything else when you see the awful result
i wonder why someone actually want to reach the same result? do you have a show that you hate so much that you think "funimationized" the footage will make you happy?" :D

Trachta10
Beyond Newbie

Post by Trachta10 » Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:56 am

ikaos
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ikaos » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:48 pm

Trachta10 wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:56 am an example of this with dragon box, is a spanish fan project

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TbNsTdJblY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYg7iejb7cA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxZP-Wl1ap0
One thing to note is that that video makes the Dragon Box look worse than it actually is. It looks like they applied DNR before they even did the comparison shots. Otherwise I guess it's a similar, smudgy look.

ArmenianPepsi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ArmenianPepsi » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:53 pm

ikaos wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:48 pm
Trachta10 wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:56 am an example of this with dragon box, is a spanish fan project

One thing to note is that that video makes the Dragon Box look worse than it actually is. It looks like they applied DNR before they even did the comparison shots. Otherwise I guess it's a similar, smudgy look.
Oh yeah i've seen that DB AI Project stuff myself too. How anyone could think this actually looks good is beyond me. It give me Orange Bricks vibes with the DNR smudginess and stupidly boosted colors
First time Dragon Ball fan as of March 2020. Still learning the ropes. Nothing much else to say,

Trachta10
Beyond Newbie

Post by Trachta10 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:39 pm

ikaos wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:48 pm

this is how it looks in Z

https://twitter.com/dbaiproject/status/ ... 3151243265

ikaos
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ikaos » Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:13 am

Trachta10 wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:39 pm
ikaos wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:48 pm One thing to note is that that video makes the Dragon Box look worse than it actually is. It looks like they applied DNR before they even did the comparison shots. Otherwise I guess it's a similar, smudgy look.

Why does it look like it has fake grain attached to it? All the examples on the twitter are de-grained.

jaisonas
Beyond Newbie

Post by jaisonas » Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:17 am

ikaos wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:13 am
Trachta10 wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:39 pm
ikaos wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:48 pm One thing to note is that that video makes the Dragon Box look worse than it actually is. It looks like they applied DNR before they even did the comparison shots. Otherwise I guess it's a similar, smudgy look.

Why does it look like it has fake grain attached to it? All the examples on the twitter are de-grained.
It does have fake grain or dithering and the twitter examples also have some on it. In all honesty, this is one of the best upscale attempts i've seen. The fake grain hides the upscale artifacts quite well and the linework isnt all smudged up
I enjoy tinkering with video and audio.