Do you think there will be a Goku VS Superman movie in the future?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Do you think there will be a Goku VS Superman movie in the future?

Post by Tai Lung » Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:42 pm

As for the reasons why DC and Toei would do this ... obviously money, money and money :lol:

But let's talk about more interesting things such as the odds and how it would be ... it is strange that it has not been done before taking into account the popularity of the debates between them and has been exploited by different entertainment media on the internet but so far nothing official with so many showdown movies like king kong VS Godzilla recently you might think this should be possible

it could be an animated movie like the Batman VS TMNT case which was actually very interesting to watch
What do you think?

Ringworm128
Banned

Re: Do you think there will be a Goku VS Superman movie in the future?

Post by Ringworm128 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:21 pm

Not a movie, but I could *maybe* see a comic happening in the distant future. Maybe.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:22 pm

I hear Viz and DC try to pitch the idea to Shueisha and they said no. Shueisha only wants to do crossovers with franchises that they own from what I've seen.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:44 pm

With Disney owning movies rights if anything a Goku vs Insert Marvel character here movie seems more likely. Probably Spider-man or Wolverine

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:42 am

I don't see that ever happening.

Even a Star Trek/Star Wars crossover movie is more likely than that, and that's been the quintessential 'impossible nerd dream' for decades.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:33 am

I don't think anything can be ruled out in this day and age, although currently I'd have to say this idea in particular is unlikely. It would be confusing for the general audience, because while Dragon Ball in rather well known overall Goku wouldn't be a household name in enough territories, whereas almost everyone knows who Superman is. Also factor in Dragon Ball in live action hasn't got the best track record, and an animated movie would only limit the potential audience more. I'd be all for it, but I can't see it happening in the near future.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:03 am

Probably not, the rights issues would be far too complicated for anything like this to ever happen. Heck there are many video games in Japan that will never see the light of day outside their home country purely because of how many characters from different anime series are in them, Japanese copyright law is very different to US law and bringing those games outside of Japan would be a total legal nightmare and there wouldn't be a big enough audience to justify such a move.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:56 am

I don't know but I reckon it would be Alien vs. Predator levels of "well that was a movie".
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:27 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:33 am I don't think anything can be ruled out in this day and age, although currently I'd have to say this idea in particular is unlikely. It would be confusing for the general audience, because while Dragon Ball in rather well known overall Goku wouldn't be a household name in enough territories, whereas almost everyone knows who Superman is. Also factor in Dragon Ball in live action hasn't got the best track record, and an animated movie would only limit the potential audience more. I'd be all for it, but I can't see it happening in the near future.

Realistically, if it ever happened it would 100 percent be an straight to home video animated movie (with Superman characters probably animated closer to Toriyama’s style since DC animation is much more versatile in its animation design) .

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:45 pm

Tch, we all know damn well that the battle will end in a fucking draw, like all these damn films.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:46 pm

Planetnamek wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:03 am Probably not, the rights issues would be far too complicated for anything like this to ever happen. Heck there are many video games in Japan that will never see the light of day outside their home country purely because of how many characters from different anime series are in them, Japanese copyright law is very different to US law and bringing those games outside of Japan would be a total legal nightmare and there wouldn't be a big enough audience to justify such a move.
Well Godzilla is from Toho a Japanese company I don't think there is a problem

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:50 pm

Tai Lung wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:46 pm
Planetnamek wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:03 am Probably not, the rights issues would be far too complicated for anything like this to ever happen. Heck there are many video games in Japan that will never see the light of day outside their home country purely because of how many characters from different anime series are in them, Japanese copyright law is very different to US law and bringing those games outside of Japan would be a total legal nightmare and there wouldn't be a big enough audience to justify such a move.
Well Godzilla is from Toho a Japanese company I don't think there is a problem
Toho actually had the rights to King Kong in the 60s but then lost them, and Legendary only recently got the rights to Godzilla and King Kong. So they had to wait almost 60 years to make another crossover movie. That's longer than Dragonball has existed.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:02 pm

That seems extremely unlikely. Even a comic or manga crossover doesn’t seem likely. Sure, we’ve had Batman/Ninja Turtles and Justice League/Power Rangers, but those are all owned by American companies (I know Power Rangers uses footage and costumes from Super Sentai, but it’s technically classified as its own property).

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:09 pm

I don't think one could create a good movie in a commercial setting due to the wants of capitalism to not 'harm' a brand. Whenever we do get two different protagonists duking it out the result always feels weak because the IP holders don't want to actively harm their brands by depicting one as inferior to the other. It's like driving forty miles, ordering a $30 pizza, waiting twenty minutes for it to be made, returning to your car, driving back home, getting the pizza inside and then immediately throwing it into the trash can.

I'm definitely interested in seeing what highly skilled fans could pull off, though. Hell, I just finished a silly 16,000 fan fic covering the idea. Fan works have more freedom to pick a side and then sell an argument, which I find is far more satisfying.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:47 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:02 pm That seems extremely unlikely. Even a comic or manga crossover doesn’t seem likely. Sure, we’ve had Batman/Ninja Turtles and Justice League/Power Rangers, but those are all owned by American companies (I know Power Rangers uses footage and costumes from Super Sentai, but it’s technically classified as its own property).
IIRC there was a Marvel/Attack on Titan crossover comic though... and Stan Lee himself once collaborated with Hiroyuki Takei (mangaka of Shaman King) to make something...

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:08 pm

Count me on the unlikely camp here, the only official 'Goku vs Superman' content I could see ever coming out would be a one-off comic.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

marumuju
Patreon Supporter

Post by marumuju » Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:18 pm

Movie? No, especially with not Dragon Ball not having an established U.S. film franchise (one-off Evolution just doesn't cut it…)

An anime/animation special? Mayyybe… It is cheaper to make, but the series belong to companies on the other sides of Pacific with established and different animation industries… Maybe not. An animated ad featuring both might be possible.

Manga? Toriyama might have made a one-shot comic at some point, but now? Not likely at all. But there is always Suppaman! :D

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:29 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:47 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:02 pm That seems extremely unlikely. Even a comic or manga crossover doesn’t seem likely. Sure, we’ve had Batman/Ninja Turtles and Justice League/Power Rangers, but those are all owned by American companies (I know Power Rangers uses footage and costumes from Super Sentai, but it’s technically classified as its own property).
IIRC there was a Marvel/Attack on Titan crossover comic though... and Stan Lee himself once collaborated with Hiroyuki Takei (mangaka of Shaman King) to make something...
Fair point, but Shueisha and Toei seem pretty protective of their IPs.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:11 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:44 pm With Disney owning movies rights if anything a Goku vs Insert Marvel character here movie seems more likely. Probably Spider-man or Wolverine
I don't think Disney own the movie rights to Dragon Ball.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:02 pm

The idea of Goku vs. Superman seems like a western fandom thing and not something that I would imagine most people in Japan would want. The only way a Goku vs. Superman can work if it was a crossover mini series that is produced by both DC and Viz Media. They could bounce between art styles with the Dragon Ball world has a Toriyama art style meanwhile the DC universe sticks whoever is drawing the art.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/