Are there characters in the show that remind you of anyone?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

samuraix123
I Live Here

Are there characters in the show that remind you of anyone?

Post by samuraix123 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:22 pm

Lately the more and more I think about Grandpa Gohan, the more he keeps reminding me of my Grandfather and I always could relate to Goku being out in the country and having been raised by his Grandfather. It's funny how a cartoon can make you stop and think about things like that.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

MrSatan2099
Patreon Supporter

Re: Are there characters in the show that remind you of anyone?

Post by MrSatan2099 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:37 pm

I think that's one of the corner stones of long term success with any series, create strong archetypal characters so that every reader/viewer can see someone they know somwhere in the cast. Maybe that person is even themself. It comes in little bits. 17 reminds me of my brother, Yamcha reminds me of a good friend.

My follow up question would be, who do you identify with from the series? I've always kind of seen myself in Tenshinhan.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:06 am

MrSatan2099 wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:37 pm

My follow up question would be, who do you identify with from the series? I've always kind of seen myself in Tenshinhan.
Bulma, because I too would offer my body up for free magical wish orbs

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:11 am

grandpa gohan also makes me think of my own late grandfather. I also see Vegeta in one of my little cousins, but that may be because I had a little rivalry with him when we were younger. :think:
MrSatan2099 wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:37 pm My follow up question would be, who do you identify with from the series? I've always kind of seen myself in Tenshinhan.
I honestly don't think I can identify with these characters, as I feel like I would end up merely projecting my personal issues onto them. All of them are out of my league.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:23 pm

MrSatan2099 wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:37 pm I think that's one of the corner stones of long term success with any series, create strong archetypal characters so that every reader/viewer can see someone they know somwhere in the cast. Maybe that person is even themself. It comes in little bits. 17 reminds me of my brother, Yamcha reminds me of a good friend.

I wont lie. My Workout and Training regiments is more like Vegeta's and I have to fill myself up with nothing but positive thoughts and training to be the best. but a lot of that is due to being depressed for so many Years. lol My attitude towards the public is pretty much Vegeta turned as well. lol My goofiness around friends is more Krillin and Gokuish. haha
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Yosheets
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Yosheets » Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:19 am

Roshi reminds me of my paternal grandfather, Bulma reminds me of my paternal aunt, and Chi Chi reminds me of my father's first cousin.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:16 pm

Bulma reminds me of my female best friend in high school.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:32 pm

I think every friend group has at least one Chaozu. That quiet hanger-on who's mainly just a satellite for a more popular member and doesn't really interact with anyone else. And most people can probably relate to being Tenshinhan in that situation, I know I do. :lol:

I was actually thinking of doing a thread like this, ya beat me to it! Now I know how Dali felt when he saw that movie...