What would you like to see when the anime returns

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

super michael
Advanced Regular

What would you like to see when the anime returns

Post by super michael » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:58 am

I am curious to see what people would like to see when Toei decides to continue the anime. As for me here are the things that I would like to see improve:

- If they show Goten and Trunks interested in training, then let them train. No more forbidding or keeping secret anymore. We want filler that we see them train and fight, not filler that they are forbidden 100%. If they can't make them do anything, then don't make them appear at all.
- If they can't write Chi Chi in a good way without making her regress, then don't show Chi Chi at all.
- Tone down the gag and characters being dumb, this is a issue with Goku mostly.
- Come up with creatives ways to get powerful, no more lazy training like Krillin gym training which made him God tier an example. If they do lazy training they should get small gains. Hard and creative training should be the one that gives huge boost. Magic to get powerful is creative, better than lazy training.
- Go beyond EOZ.
- Character actually age.

The anime should learn a thing from the manga and maybe even some anime. Learn how Dragon Ball became successful and how others are still successful like Hunter x Hunter or Yu Yu Hakusho.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Re: What would you like to see when the anime returns

Post by SupremeKai25 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:11 am

Does the Super anime really need to learn how to become successful, when its final episodes were literally live-streamed in public city centres? I think the Toei producers are more than proficient in that field.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:12 am

Chi-Chi and Videl kicking the shit of out people with good animation would be my number one desire.

Broli, Cheelai and Lemo having their own adventures!

Episodes set through the multiverse!

Basically, I don't want it to only repeat the comic.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:04 pm

I want fun character moments and mysteries I'm interested in to theorize about; the two most prominent things I find missing from the manga currently.

The manga is competent, but dry right now, imo. It's like listening to a very talented professor lecture on a topic I don't care about.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

SaiyanCosmos

Post by SaiyanCosmos » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:30 pm

I hope they still keep the occasional slice of life episodes. They're some of the most enjoyable episodes in Super, and it's easy to forget that the characters don't spend all their time fighting.

Explore character interactions or team-ups that we don't get to see much. Super already did some of this in ToP, like 17 and Freeza, and Vegeta and Roshi.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:32 pm

Is it returning? Sorry was not in touch from some time...but thought due to covid-19 there's no plans of dbs returning...

Still, would like darker approach to Broly's development. His training & relationship etc

Fast-paced adaptation. Moro Arc was pop in the manga. From lotsa fans I chatted in Twitter, they really enjoyed Moro Arc. Wud like an improvised anime adaptation.

And better music & animation quality control. Yeah. That's all

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:35 pm

• Vegeta and Goku getting along better, and both displaying some actual maturity in their middle-age, like the manga/Z epilogue.
  • Goten and Trunks actually grow up a bit.
  • Only characters who will actually be used substantially are used in a story. No more Roshi in the TOP, no more of the entire B-team in Resurrection F. Do it more like the Broly movie. Focus on a smaller cast, and depict them really well.
  • Use the multiverse to introduce new, plausibly-stronger threats.
  • Use a foe who actually has magic and uses it in a fight.
  • Give the villains actual character and development. Give them strong personalities.
  • More fun filler episodes.
  • Animation directed by Shintani.
  • Skip the Moro and Granolla arcs.
  • Do not retell Broly on TV.
  • Actually use Boo.
  • Don't keep teasing Gohan as a fighter; keep him as a family man who also dabbles in being a goofy superhero.
  • If they do another tournament arc, do it more traditional-style, not the stupid battle royale we got last time. Take the time to build up the character of each of the competitors, have each fight except for the very last one only take one episode in total, allowing for the perfect amount of time to introduce a fighter's gimmick, show off what they can do with it, then show how that gimmick can be overcome.
  • No more returning villains.
  • More of Broly. (He's not a villain)
  • No more Beers or Whis. Their joke is done, and as characters, they've become overexposed and tired.
  • Make it seasonal rather than constant. Do maybe 26 episodes a year.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:31 pm

Forgot to mention, I hope that the production leads to equalized wages across the board for the production and companies involved. 😇
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:34 pm

-Goten and Trunks growing at few inches.
-Some good slice of life, especially involving the ladies
-Fix a few issues with the manga regarding the Moro arc
-avoid stupid super goku moments
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:42 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:11 am Does the Super anime really need to learn how to become successful, when its final episodes were literally live-streamed in public city centres? I think the Toei producers are more than proficient in that field.
You're confusing hype with quality. Super caught a lot of people's eyes, but The Phantom Menace was the most hyped thing of all time before it came out. This is the same reason why Battle for Bikini Bottom can get a $300 Collector's Edition.

---

Anyways, some actual planning, proper development of the storytelling, and an understanding of what makes the story work in the first place and where it can go. I realize probably every Sequel Fic writer says this, but I honestly think me and Robo have a great take on it with our DBSequel idea and I'm sad that Toei never considered a direction like this and instead just did More Z.

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:31 pm

I highly doubt that the anime will be all that different from the manga. Considering that there will be a fair bit of content in the Manga if Toei does decide to commission an animated adaptation, it'll just be much easier to make a faithful adaptation.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:10 pm

KBABZ wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:42 pm
SupremeKai25 wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:11 am Does the Super anime really need to learn how to become successful, when its final episodes were literally live-streamed in public city centres? I think the Toei producers are more than proficient in that field.
You're confusing hype with quality. Super caught a lot of people's eyes, but The Phantom Menace was the most hyped thing of all time before it came out. This is the same reason why Battle for Bikini Bottom can get a $300 Collector's Edition.

---

Anyways, some actual planning, proper development of the storytelling, and an understanding of what makes the story work in the first place and where it can go. I realize probably every Sequel Fic writer says this, but I honestly think me and Robo have a great take on it with our DBSequel idea and I'm sad that Toei never considered a direction like this and instead just did More Z.
The OP is not arguing about quality, he's arguing about hype:
The anime should learn a thing from the manga and maybe even some anime. Learn how Dragon Ball became successful and how others are still successful like Hunter x Hunter or Yu Yu Hakusho.
Was Super not successful? When it doesn't even need a running anime to make billions for Toei and Toriyama?

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:30 pm

I can't say I see a reason to even wish for the anime to avoid the manga arcs. There's not a snowball's chance on the sun that Toei would avoid a year's worth of content that's already pretty much written. (I'm saying a year as a very rough estimate because I think the Granolah arc will be pretty long, maybe as long as the Moro arc.) Hoping for a skip of the Broly movie makes more sense, though, since it's already animated and maybe they learned their lesson from the BoG and RF retellings.
Personally I'd actually like them to have a retelling of DBS: Broly, though. Unpopular opinion, I know. Surely they'd put more effort into it than during the BoG and RF retelling mess. The reason why I'm for it is that if they plan it right, they'll have the opportunity to put in more slice of life stuff, more comfy scenes. It'd also be easier to put more of those casual episodes in before the Moro arc would begin if they did it that way. I think one of the Super anime's greatest strengths were those slice-of-life-y portions (though the 10 episodes between Zamasu and the ToP were too much all at once), so I want them to use that strength.
Vijay wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:32 pm Is it returning? Sorry was not in touch from some time...but thought due to covid-19 there's no plans of dbs returning...
No, it's not been confirmed to return. It shouldn't have anything to do with the coronavirus, either, since the anime's been gone for almost 3 years and the virus has only been here for about 1, it's just straight up not a priority for Toei to make it (as far as we know).
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:14 pm

Alruneia wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:30 pm No, it's not been confirmed to return. It shouldn't have anything to do with the coronavirus, either, since the anime's been gone for almost 3 years and the virus has only been here for about 1, it's just straight up not a priority for Toei to make it (as far as we know).
Considering how much money the manga, merch, and video games make, Dragon Ball may be at its "too big to fail" stage when it can last a long time without any animated content (which in my view is insane).
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:02 pm

This isn't even the longest dry spell that there's been with no new animated content on television for the franchise by a long shot, i mean it was just over a decade give or take after GT's end until the JSAT special was released in mid 2008 and almost eighteen years by the time Super premiered in summer 2015. I mean, you can also technically include Kai in the time leading up to the latter but seeing as that is a recut edit of DBZ which was done for the show's 20th anniversary i'm not really counting it.

We'll probably see something else anime wise come soon, but not immediately.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

pepd
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by pepd » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:36 pm

For me it was so bad that, If not a remake from the start, I just want it to not have a negative impact on the manga.