What does Majin Buu say after Gohan is healed by Dende?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

James R. Cadwell
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

What does Majin Buu say after Gohan is healed by Dende?

Post by James R. Cadwell » Wed May 05, 2004 12:00 pm

In the late Buu Saga, Gohan is healed by Dende after fighting Majin Buu. After noticing the change, Buu says something like this in the anime:

Buu: Impossible. He's back to normal. Who is that guy? It feels like his power is the same as it was before. Well, it just means you'll suffer more, that's all.

Several people on this forum have mentioned that Buu says something similar in their copies of the manga, and Buu also says basically the same thing in the translation I have.

My question is: does anyone know for certain whether or not Buu says that Gohan's strength has just returned to normal?

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: What does Majin Buu say after Gohan is healed by Dende?

Post by SaiyaJedi » Wed May 05, 2004 4:11 pm

James R. Cadwell wrote:My question is: does anyone know for certain whether or not Buu says that Gohan's strength has just returned to normal?
Here's what he says.
DB Chapter 501 wrote:???…??????????…??
Baka na...! Motodôri fukkatsu shita...!!
Impossible...! He's restored to how he was before...!!

???????????????…
Nani mono da – ano okashi na chibi wa...
Who is that weird runt...?

…????????????????????………
...Da ga shosen tada motodôri ni natta dake.........
...But after all, he only went [back] to his original state...

??????????????…???????????? …??????…
Pawâ-appu shita wake de wa nai... wazuka ni nobita dake da ...kurushimi no toki ga...
It's not that he powered up... [his strength] only grew a little bit ...and now it's time for him to suffer...
So, there you go. 8)
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Wed May 05, 2004 4:14 pm

Hmm... my Japanese characters appear not to have registered with the server. Any suggestions? Daimao? Rachel? Greg? :?
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

James R. Cadwell
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by James R. Cadwell » Wed May 05, 2004 4:42 pm

Thank you very much.

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Thu May 06, 2004 11:57 pm

SaiyaJedi wrote:Hmm... my Japanese characters appear not to have registered with the server. Any suggestions? Daimao? Rachel? Greg? :?
Hmm, I dunno... My IME doesn't even work in this browser. Someone got Japanese characters to display at least once, though. Do you know what character set the forum server uses?

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Fri May 07, 2004 12:06 am

That finally clears that up. But I wonder why Gohans power didn't go up significantly? Saiyans always double in power after recovering from mortal wounds.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Fri May 07, 2004 2:31 am

They don't double, it's rather random. Vegeta was at 18,000 on Earth and only 24,000 on Namek. Goku was at 180,000 when he first got to Namek and 300,000 after healing.

Anyway, I think Gohan's power was beyond what even his Saiya-jin DNA could have done on it's own.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Fri May 07, 2004 2:51 am

Xyex wrote:They don't double, it's rather random. Vegeta was at 18,000 on Earth and only 24,000 on Namek. Goku was at 180,000 when he first got to Namek and 300,000 after healing.

Anyway, I think Gohan's power was beyond what even his Saiya-jin DNA could have done on it's own.
Maybe, that's certainly a possibility. But why couldn't he become any stronger than that? What if he transformed into SSJ3? I was thinking it's possible his power didn't go up as some kind of unforseen side effect of Grand Kaioshin rearranging his ki.

James R. Cadwell
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by James R. Cadwell » Fri May 07, 2004 2:57 am

Deus ex Machina wrote:Maybe, that's certainly a possibility. But why couldn't he become any stronger than that?
According to Majin Buu, he did become stronger after Dende healed him. Of course, it was an usually small increase compared to what we saw during the Saiya-jin and Freeza Sagas -- but for all we know, the near-death power increase was insignificant even during the Cell Saga. It doesn't necessarily have to be a side-effect of the Old Kaioshin's technique.

Ryu
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Ryu » Fri May 07, 2004 4:48 am

I don't think it was a side effect of the Elder Kai ritual. I mean he still had Saiyan DNA and so he has the benefits of the saiyan race. Wasn't the only thing that was changed was Gohan's "Ki structure"? I'm not on my home computer so I can't check whether it was in the manga (fan-subbed) or the japanese version (fan-subbed). I'm refering to Piccolo's reaction when he first saw Mystic Gohan.

Jodaku
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jodaku » Fri May 07, 2004 1:10 pm

James R. Cadwell wrote:Of course, it was an usually small increase compared to what we saw during the Saiya-jin and Freeza Sagas -- but for all we know, the near-death power increase was insignificant even during the Cell Saga.
I think this is pretty much it.

Did Vegeta receive a near-death power increase after getting hammered by #18? What about Trunks in that same battle? What about Vegeta against Cell. And Gohan against Fat Buu?

The only time a power increase from near-death is mentioned after the Freeza saga where it had any significance is when Cell self-destructed, and I think that was more of a plot device to make him more of a challenge for Gohan rather than anything logical.

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Fri May 07, 2004 11:24 pm

About the japanese characters, ask Greg. I know he's done it.

I could have sworn I could do it too, but I just tried now and it was question marks.

Daimao
Mr. Subtitles

Post by Daimao » Sun May 09, 2004 5:17 pm

SaiyaJedi wrote:
Here's what he says.
DB Chapter 501 wrote: ??????????????…???????????? …??????…
Pawâ-appu shita wake de wa nai... wazuka ni nobita dake da ...kurushimi no toki ga...
It's not that he powered up... [his strength] only grew a little bit ...and now it's time for him to suffer...
So, there you go. 8)
パワーアップしたわけではない…わずかに延びただけだ…苦しみの時が…

Actually, the way I read it, it's the time of his suffering that has been extended, not his strength.

And I'm just using the WinXP Japanese IME to input. Upon preview, it all gets converted to &#12345; style escape codes somehow.