Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dragonballhero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Post by dragonballhero » Fri Jun 30, 2023 4:47 pm

I should also remind you that Toriyama was going to have Piccolo be a solo act for Super Hero. Gohan supposedly wasn't going to play a big role in this initally, it's just that the DB Room gave him the idea to add the latter.

I'm pretty sure there's even an interview (from around the time that BoG came out) where Toriyama even implies that part of why Gohan isn't as active as he used to be was because he is essentially 'semi-retired' by the time of the 10-year timeskip.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Jul 07, 2023 4:52 am

Rewatched Super Hero again last night on the UK Blu-Ray.

It's still a lot of fun with a great story that flows naturally from the Red Ribbon Army, Artificial Human and Cell arcs that came before, and the humour is good without overstaying its welcome. I don't see why new transformations were necessary, other than to sell toys though, and Goku and Vegeta's inclusion was more of a box ticking exercise, as they could be removed from the movie and nothing of value would be lost, including the post credit scene, which was made to bait Vegeta fans.

I'm not a video expert, but I can honestly say that I rarely noticed the green tint, and when I did it was not an issue. It looked beautiful on disc, just as it did in the theatre, and I'd need to watch both versions side to side to recall if anything looked different. Same goes for the CG, which everyone was dreading in the beginning, you just sit back, enjoy the movie and end up forgetting its there.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Sun Jul 16, 2023 9:06 am

So is there no way to buy or rent a digital non green tint copy of super hero with subs?

I'm sick and tired of toei alternately sitting around with their thumbs up their asses or actively fucking us over.

If anyone has a pirated colour corrected link hook me up.

If a working version of the official release is not available piracy incurs no cost to them from me.

I tried looking up manga uk but their name is so generic I can't find their website. And I heard they are green this time too anyway.

Disney bought fox but it's not on disney plus.

Crunchyroll is apparently green. Ffs it's like they don't want to take our money.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Jul 19, 2023 12:14 pm

TobyS wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 9:06 amI tried looking up manga uk but their name is so generic I can't find their website. And I heard they are green this time too anyway.
Manga UK are sadly no more. The company is now just known as Crunchyroll over here after two rebrands. For what it's worth I watched the UK Crunchyroll Blu-Ray, which I believe is identical to the US disc and didn't notice the green tint. I'm more forgiving of picture quality than other fans, but I have seen others on the Blu-Ray.com forums say it didn't bother them.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

The Monkey King
Advanced Regular

Post by The Monkey King » Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:53 pm

I always here that this movie didn't do too well in Japan, is there actual proof of this?

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:12 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 12:14 pm
TobyS wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 9:06 amI tried looking up manga uk but their name is so generic I can't find their website. And I heard they are green this time too anyway.
Manga UK are sadly no more. The company is now just known as Crunchyroll over here after two rebrands. For what it's worth I watched the UK Crunchyroll Blu-Ray, which I believe is identical to the US disc and didn't notice the green tint. I'm more forgiving of picture quality than other fans, but I have seen others on the Blu-Ray.com forums say it didn't bother them.
It's more the principal of them not giving a shit and being lazy and not wanting to reward that behaviour tbh
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Sat Aug 19, 2023 3:39 pm

TobyS wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 9:06 am So is there no way to buy or rent a digital non green tint copy of super hero with subs?

I'm sick and tired of toei alternately sitting around with their thumbs up their asses or actively fucking us over.

If anyone has a pirated colour corrected link hook me up.

If a working version of the official release is not available piracy incurs no cost to them from me.

I tried looking up manga uk but their name is so generic I can't find their website. And I heard they are green this time too anyway.

Disney bought fox but it's not on disney plus.

Crunchyroll is apparently green. Ffs it's like they don't want to take our money.
Dragon Ball Super: Broly is on Disney+ in Hong Kong. But I heard the deal between Fox and Toei have lapsed so chances of Super Hero coming to Disney+ is slim to none.

Heck, from what I can see, no Dragon Ball movies are available on Disney+ in Japan.
The world is your's.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Sat Sep 16, 2023 6:01 am

So I watched it yesterday for the 2nd time since it's release since it's release.

What a clunker. Seriously.

To start with, there are some points I liked about it.
-The animation (and the dynamics due to CG) is pretty spectacular. I prefer hand drawn but this didn't look that bad. With some refinements in the future it can look even better.
-The voice acting for the most part sounds good. (Japanese dub)
-Soundtrack is pretty good as well.
-I liked how they portrayed Pan in this. Great voice acting as well. Hitting the right tone for her age.
-I kinda like the new forms.
-At least different characters got the spotlight.

Script wise however...it's garbage. Goes for a lot of DB movies though but since this is one is promoted as written by Toriyama, it's excellent proof for displaying how much he phones it nowadays. Here are my SH gripes:

-How many times do we need to see the "Gohan needs to dive deep and harness his potential" in all of Dragon Ball? It's getting very tiresome. Is it character development when Gohan has gone through the same development multiple times?
-Piccolo is the main character. How does he grow in this movie? By literally asking for a power up. That is incredibly weak writing. Convenient how all the dragon balls have been neatly gathered as well.
-Again a repeat villain. Or clone or whatever. I see it as kind of Bio-Broly situation. Been there. Done that. What makes it even worse is that Cell was a cerebral villain with a great voice actor and that potential is wasted here as he's more of a hulking brute obstacle, rather than an actual character.
-Gamma 1 and 2 were flat characters. They think they're heroes and then they realize who are the good guys. They're just standard video game bosses.
-The repeat of the Gohan SSJ2 scene felt like memberberries that didn't add anything and felt flat due to the lack of appropriate music. Heck, we could have used an insert song here.
-This is a common trope but why does Gohan first fight as SSJ1/2 before going ultimate? I get it, it's due to tension but logically it doesn't make sense, especially since he does it multiple times.
-With "Cell" as a main villain it would have been interesting to see more of 18 (and see 17 in general)
-The Goku/Vegeta/Broly stuff was obvious padding.
-Dr Hedo getting a job instead of going to jail was ridiculous. He was willingly helping a Nazi-like organization take over the world but now he regrets it and everything's okay? That's BS.

Another small nitpick is how the title is kinda clunky.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Sep 16, 2023 6:39 am

Jord wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 6:01 am Another small nitpick is how the title is kinda clunky.
I think the title should be proof enough for anyone that thinks Toriyama writes full scripts for Super that he really isn't all that much involved. When he thought of the title Super Hero he assumed the movie would be Dragon Ball : Super Hero, not Dragon Ball Super : Super Hero because he forgot the latest installment of the TV series was called Dragon Ball Super. Clearly the manga he wrote called Dragon Ball is what's in his head, he's not following the series like we all do because its not a huge priority for him.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Sat Sep 16, 2023 8:00 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 6:39 am
Jord wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 6:01 am Another small nitpick is how the title is kinda clunky.
I think the title should be proof enough for anyone that thinks Toriyama writes full scripts for Super that he really isn't all that much involved. When he thought of the title Super Hero he assumed the movie would be Dragon Ball : Super Hero, not Dragon Ball Super : Super Hero because he forgot the latest installment of the TV series was called Dragon Ball Super. Clearly the manga he wrote called Dragon Ball is what's in his head, he's not following the series like we all do because its not a huge priority for him.
Exactly. Even if the title would be Dragon Ball: Super Hero, it wouldn't have been a very good or intriguing title.
Also considering the Super Hero part is minimal. Viewing the heroes as a secret group of villains was an interesting idea but nothing really came out of it. It was just motivation for the one dimensional villains. The RRA staging a smear campaign at Satan and 'his' group and seeing the public reaction would have been more interesting.

Thinking of Satan, the trope that Buu is sleeping/busy etc so he cannot fight is another con. I'd love to see Buu fight, with his unique powers.

Same goes for a (correctly fused) adult Gotenks. When Goku told Goten and Trunks to not fuse in GT, it was disappointing. Now we could have the chance to see Adult Gotenks in action in a movie and we get disappointed again. Could it be worse? Yes it can. At the end of the movie they do seem to fuse correctly when the camera pans over but we don't get to actually see Gotenks after that.
(Yes we've seen Adult Gotenks in Heroes and he looks awesome, but it would have cool to seem him here)

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Sep 16, 2023 8:26 am

Teen Gotenks.

One thing that gotta stop is this "hero trope/striking poses": Ginyu squad, Great Saiyaman, Jaco, Gamma 1, Gamma 2, Goten, Trunks... Am I forgetting someone? Enough is enough, it's old now.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sat Sep 16, 2023 8:29 am

Honestly, I think I would've preferred if Piccolo tried to get Gohan to realize his potential, only for Gohan to instead cheer him on and let him be the one to win against Cell Max with his Orange form.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Sep 16, 2023 11:59 am

The funny thing is Akira Toriyama wanted Piccolo to be the lead for Super Hero but Akio Iyoku pushed for Gohan. I'd imagine Iyoku is more aware of the iconography of Gohan vs Cell, and wanted to emulate that with Gohan Beast vs Cell Max, but Toriyama trusts Iyoku for these stories to be consistent with his vision for Dragon Ball.

QuakingStar
Regular

Post by QuakingStar » Sat Sep 16, 2023 9:33 pm

If Toriyama really didn't want Gohan to be in the spotlight here it wouldn't have happened, I think he just didn't think of it originally and once it was brought up to him he liked it. So Piccolo and Gohan both getting their shine worked out.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sun Sep 17, 2023 2:48 am

I swear, some people act like Iyoku is Grima Wormtongue from LotR.

Caulifor
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Caulifor » Fri Sep 22, 2023 7:25 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 11:59 am The funny thing is Akira Toriyama wanted Piccolo to be the lead for Super Hero but Akio Iyoku pushed for Gohan. I'd imagine Iyoku is more aware of the iconography of Gohan vs Cell, and wanted to emulate that with Gohan Beast vs Cell Max, but Toriyama trusts Iyoku for these stories to be consistent with his vision for Dragon Ball.
If that's really the case, then shame on both of them. Just let Gohan be a scientist, for god's sake. I'm tired of him constantly coming back super powerful only to slack off again and the process repeat itself.

On another note, I know someone probably said this before but I gotta get it off my chest: I like that Super Hero officialized in canon 16 being modeled after Gero's son Gevo, but I hate that they say Gevo died to an enemy bullet. Come on, have some (dragon) balls, say he died during Goku's attack on the Red Ribbon base. :roll:

One of those things even DBZA did better.
I haven't watched most of the anime in a long time, but I did read the manga over and over again.
That is where most of my knowledge from the series come from.

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Fri Sep 22, 2023 7:39 am

Caulifor wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 7:25 am
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 11:59 am The funny thing is Akira Toriyama wanted Piccolo to be the lead for Super Hero but Akio Iyoku pushed for Gohan. I'd imagine Iyoku is more aware of the iconography of Gohan vs Cell, and wanted to emulate that with Gohan Beast vs Cell Max, but Toriyama trusts Iyoku for these stories to be consistent with his vision for Dragon Ball.
If that's really the case, then shame on both of them. Just let Gohan be a scientist, for god's sake. I'm tired of him constantly coming back super powerful only to slack off again and the process repeat itself.

On another note, I know someone probably said this before but I gotta get it off my chest: I like that Super Hero officialized in canon 16 being modeled after Gero's son Gevo, but I hate that they say Gevo died to an enemy bullet. Come on, have some (dragon) balls, say he died during Goku's attack on the Red Ribbon base. :roll:

the gevo thing was alraedy stated in a past interview

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:13 am

Toxin45 wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 7:39 am
Caulifor wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 7:25 am

the gevo thing was alraedy stated in a past interview
Yeah, but not officialized in canon via a guidebook, the manga, or the anime/movies.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:29 am

So I finally got around to actually watching this thing.

It's uh. Nicely animated in parts. Bizarrely, the animation of some of the destroyed landscapes and wide shots might've been the best-looking parts of the movie. But boy, oh boy, the absolute hilarity of a movie called "Super Super Hero" being capped off by "Super Saiyan 2, 2"...
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:23 pm

Was thinking about getting the BD release of the movie, I know the movie is green tinted in the BD but I don't remember if one version of the movie had no green tint on it, and if so which one?
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.