What would things be like without GT?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GI_Judd2287
Beyond Newbie

What would things be like without GT?

Post by GI_Judd2287 » Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:15 am

Do you honestly think we would have been better without it? Personally I enjoy it a lot. And even if you don't, it's still a very important part in terms of history.
"Surrender??!! You think this letter on my head stands for France?"-- Captain America

gohanku
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by gohanku » Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:39 am

Well, there would be less complaining fans, less games to play in the games and people will wondering about SSJ 4 and not SSJ 5, I say it would be pretty good in my option.

EDIT: WOHOO! Finally, my 100th post!
[quote="SSj Kaboom talking about Future Gohan in BT3"]I feel sorry for Future Gohan.

Everyone's like, "What?! What are you doing with [b][i]two[/i][/b] arms?! You tear that off right now, mister!"

Poor guy.[/quote]
Lol'ed.

Mystic Jack
Regular

Post by Mystic Jack » Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:46 am

Well I'll admit I'm sorta glad I have something to follow up with instead of:

Goku left his friends and family to train some hopeless scrawny kid.

:roll: right....
Singer, actor, chiropractor!

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:37 am

I would've never seen much Japanese DB or played any of the games...

(Fansubbed GT was some of the first Japanese-language anime I ever saw, and Final Bout was the first DB game I ever played.)

Plus, Toei would've never made more merchandise to make us spend our moeny on... :D
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

Mr.Piccolo

Post by Mr.Piccolo » Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:23 am

There would be no Dan-Dan.:? My GT bashing days are over... 8)
-Rick
[size=92][b][url=http://www.freewebs.com/rickistheboss/][RICKisBOSS][/url] | [/b] [color=green][b][Green Team][/color][/b] [b]|[/b] [b][url=http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.php?t=4512][R29 DUB][/url][/b] [b]| [url=http://][DBRPG][/url][/b]
You can call me Rick because I'm not actually Piccolo.
I missed out on all of the DB Movie fun, huh?[quote]Point blank: it's gonna suck if you want it to. Personally, I'm seeing it as a comedy.[/quote][/size]

future_trunks
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by future_trunks » Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:55 am

Well I could have not been so disappointed. When I heard there was a new series coming out called GT I was really exited until they put it at bad times and it wasn't really the best series.
Cuz you're an ocean, you're an ocean, settle down settle down what's the commotion?

Domon
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Domon » Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:22 pm

We'd just find something else to be the whipping boy of Dragonball( movie 4, perhaps?).

Mr.Piccolo

Post by Mr.Piccolo » Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:28 pm

Movie 4 is the fusion of Street Fighter and DragonBall Z. Everyone makes it like that movie is so unoriginal. PLEASE, go back and watch the other ones and see how "unique" they are.
-Rick
[size=92][b][url=http://www.freewebs.com/rickistheboss/][RICKisBOSS][/url] | [/b] [color=green][b][Green Team][/color][/b] [b]|[/b] [b][url=http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.php?t=4512][R29 DUB][/url][/b] [b]| [url=http://][DBRPG][/url][/b]
I missed out on all of the DB Movie fun, huh?[quote]Point blank: it's gonna suck if you want it to. Personally, I'm seeing it as a comedy.[/quote][/size]

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:05 pm

Mr.Piccolo wrote:Movie 4 is the fusion of Street Fighter and DragonBall Z. Everyone makes it like that movie is so unoriginal. PLEASE, go back and watch the other ones and see how "unique" they are.
-Rick
I feel as though I've heard that somewhere. 8)

Subject at hand: Well, I have mixed feelings. I don't care for GT, but I love having that many more random uncreative characters to beat up on in Budokai 3, and I love using the Ssj4 Transformation in momenets of desperation too.

I've said it before, GT had some great idea's and concepts, but the execution was terrible. Seems like only the last episode somewhat got it alright.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:26 pm

GI_Judd2287 wrote:Do you honestly think we would have been better without it?
Mmmm... no. We're better off with it. The DragonBall story just wouldn't be the same without GT. Sure, it had its plotholes and suckily executed stories, but it was still charming and cool, in its own way.

...Plus, it gave us...

SSj4, biznatches.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Mr.Piccolo

Post by Mr.Piccolo » Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:35 pm

:shock: Kaboom.. your avatar...you've transformed..! For all of the GT bashers out there, think of it this way: GT makes the earlier series look better. =P
-Rick

Kamedak

Post by Kamedak » Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:23 am

More Dragonball is always better. Did I enjoy GT as much as the first two series'? No... but I enjoyed it more than just about every other anime out there, so GT is still very important to me! I love DBGT.

Deus ex Machina

Post by Deus ex Machina » Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:07 am

That's a difficult question for me to answer...I probably complain about it more than even your average Dragonball fan, but would the series really be better off without it?

For all it did wrong, it did give us the villian Baby (who is one of my over all favorites), the Golden Ape transformation, the adventures of an older than DBZ Pan, Bra, the neurotic robot Gill, and some fantastic fight scenes.

SSJ4 Goku vs. Baby and SSJ4 Goku vs. Yi Xing Long especially recaptured that epic battle feeling from Dragonball Z. If you completly ignored the lame stuff it's pretty enjoyable.

So I guess I've already decided, if I had the choice I would keep GT. Even better, if I had the choice I would completly remake GT and have everything actually make some damn sense.

Jodaku
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jodaku » Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:15 am

Agreed on the awesomeness of the SSJ4 Goku design, and without GT there would be no SSJ4 Goku theme: "Hero of Heroes", my favourite DB-related music track, even if it originates from the video game Final Bout.

As for the rest of GT, as I said about anime filler in another thread, for better or worst, it adds to the overall DB Mythology, and something would be missing from it if you were to suddenly to take GT away from it.

Phred
Beyond Newbie

Post by Phred » Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:38 am

Mystic Jack wrote:Well I'll admit I'm sorta glad I have something to follow up with instead of:

Goku left his friends and family to train some hopeless scrawny kid.

:roll: right....
Yeah, Goku leaving his friends and family to some unknown dimension with the Dragon is much better.

But seriously, I like Dragon Ball GT. Some bits were a bit slow, but I think I like Dragon Ball too much to care.
[url=http://phred.thegreatbeyond.net]Comix Productions[/url]

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:04 am

Deus ex Machina wrote: So I guess I've already decided, if I had the choice I would keep GT. Even better, if I had the choice I would completly remake GT and have everything actually make some damn sense.
:D

I'll get back to work on my FanFiction once the holidays are over. Promise! And I won't let it interfere with the dub project, either...
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

shannarafan
Beyond Newbie

Post by shannarafan » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:33 am

Without GT, the fandom wouldn't be as moronic and Bra wouldn't be one of my favorite characters...well, maybe she would, but I wouldn't like her as much.
Kamedak wrote:Did I enjoy GT as much as the first two series'? No... but I enjoyed it more than just about every other anime out there, so GT is still very important to me!
Yeah, I think I'm gonna agree with you there. I don't like GT near as much as DB or Z (only seen a few episodes though), but Dragonball anything is still my favorite anime. However warped the characters. :mrgreen:
Jodaku wrote:and without GT there would be no SSJ4 Goku theme: "Hero of Heroes", my favourite DB-related music track, even if it originates from the video game Final Bout.
That song is seriously awesome. 8)

QuantumDestiny
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by QuantumDestiny » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:45 am

Without GT I don't know how I'd feel about the ending of Z... :? On one hand, nobody was dead in the end of Z, but in GT Piccolo stayed dead and other characters got shafted/forgotten... But I'm glad GT was created because I did like the character designs and that ending was a whole lot more epic!

Pedro The Hutt
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Pedro The Hutt » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:53 am

SSj Kaboom wrote: ...Plus, it gave us...

SSj4, biznatches.
That's GT's greatest offense if you ask me. XD Rampant Uran Utang body hair, go!
Last edited by Pedro The Hutt on Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Adey
Beyond Newbie

Post by Adey » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:55 am

QuantumDestiny wrote:Without GT I don't know how I'd feel about the ending of Z... :? On one hand, nobody was dead in the end of Z, but in GT Piccolo stayed dead and other characters got shafted/forgotten... But I'm glad GT was created because I did like the character designs and that ending was a whole lot more epic!

A bit like in DBZ then..:S
If I could have a proper feel good ending to Z (One where Goku does not ditch his family/doesn't finish the tournament off) in replacement of GT, I would.