Will we ever get a good home release of Dragon Ball Z in the States ever again?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: Will we ever get a good home release of Dragon Ball Z in the States ever again?

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:11 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:04 am The title implies there was a good release before.
To be fair there was the Dragon Boxes and the level sets, and the DVD singles were fine, for their time.

Seed of Might's colour correction and the broadcast audio blows them all out of the water though.

I'm finding it hard to go back now, as I've been so spoiled by the fan efforts. So glad there are people who care so much for this series and go above and beyond what any of the official license holders have done before them.

I still think supporting the official release is preferrable, if at all possible. I think if anyone understands French buying the AB Blu-Ray would be a good idea as it supports a release that has genuine care for the series put into it and its not Dragon Ball Z or a US release, which this thread is about so probably not relevant to this thread, in that regard the fans are truly screwed.

It would be nothing short of a miracle for Crunchyroll to do a respectable home release at this stage.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Will we ever get a good home release of Dragon Ball Z in the States ever again?

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:02 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:11 am
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:04 am The title implies there was a good release before.
To be fair there was the Dragon Boxes and the level sets, and the DVD singles were fine, for their time.
To be even more fair, of those 3 only the Dragon Boxes were completed and even then limited release and can only be bought now by scalper prices.

I guess the DVD singles were complete if you just want the original Funimation dub but for fans of the Japanese version or fans who want the Texas cast for the entire series, they're SOL on episodes 28-67

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:37 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:02 amTo be even more fair, of those 3 only the Dragon Boxes were completed and even then limited release and can only be bought now by scalper prices.
Don't forget the US Dragon Boxes only covered Z, and yes buying them now doesn't support the series in any way. I owned the last 3 Dragon Boxes once and got them for less than the prices they usually fetch but they were still not worth what I paid, so I sold them for about the same price. I love this franchise too much to take advantage of the fans like that.
MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:02 am I guess the DVD singles were complete if you just want the original Funimation dub but for Japanese fans or fans who want the Texas cast for the entire series, they're SOL on episodes 28-67
Yup, Funimation really shot themselves in the foot with all the redubbing they did and not finishing the Ultimate Uncuts. Fans of the Texas cast (of which I'm one but they're not my favourite) are lucky they still have that.

It's us Ocean fans that are truly shit out of luck, the singles have a very well acted but heavily localised dub with no uncut equivalent, a perfect uncut dub of 3 movies, both of which are long out of print (although I have both), no option for episodes 54-107 as well as three dubs (Westwood Z and both Blue Water dubs) that will never have a home release and one (Ocean Kai) that we will be lucky if it ever sees the light of day.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:45 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:37 am
MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:02 amTo be even more fair, of those 3 only the Dragon Boxes were completed and even then limited release and can only be bought now by scalper prices.
Don't forget the US Dragon Boxes only covered Z, .
I am aware but that's not really relevant.. The Blue Bricks and Green Bricks aren't great but they're passable. The GT DVD singles from what I recall are pretty good. The DB saga sets are fine other than the Uncut Funi dub/Japanese with English subs for the Saga of Goku being Region 4 only. DBZ needed a Dragon Box release more than the other 2 .

Not that I would ever oppose a Dragon Box release for the original series.

And yes I feel bad for Ocean fans who can only own the BLT dub of the Saga of Goku (technically not Ocean but same talent pool) , the 53 Z episodes produced by Funimation and the 3 movies released by Pioneer (which has been out of print for over 20 years now) and don't have a way of owning the Westwood era or the Blue Water dubs

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:10 am

I will finish buying the Dragonbox sets and call it a day. Crunchyroll is so far beyond releasing DB properly.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.