Should Dragon Ball Super get a reboot or continue?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

super michael
Advanced Regular

Should Dragon Ball Super get a reboot or continue?

Post by super michael » Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:38 am

Just curious DBS Anime ended on the ToP and there was no more episode, I was wonder how do you want DBS Anime to return?

Do you want the anime to return to were it finished, which would continue to Moro and Granolah or you do want Dragon Ball Super to get a reboot?

Dragon Quest and Inuyasha both got cancelled at one point. Dragon Quest got a reboot, while Inuyasha just continued from were it left of to Inuyasha Final Act.
FullMetal Alchemist Brotherhood got reboot.

FullMetal Alchemist went a different direction compared to the manga, which is why Brotherhood was made.

Dragon Quest ending was different than the manga, which is why the reboot was made.

Dragon Ball Super there are a lot of difference compared to the manga.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Re: Should Dragon Ball Super get a reboot or continue?

Post by SupremeKai25 » Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:53 am

I don't see why it should get a reboot. When it comes to the first 3 arcs, the Anime feels like the complete way of experiencing them while the manga speedruns through them, not too differently from Boruto. I don't see any reason as to why Super should get rebooted. All the videogames and merchandise follow the Anime too, so a reboot would be utterly counter-intuitive.

I hope that Toei continues the Super anime eventually and, if they adapt the Moro and Granolah arc, they expand on them significantly like they did for the first 3 arcs.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:13 am

I don't think I would have the mental strength to watch through ANOTHER Dragon Ball Super serial...I would refrain from watching it until the damn Moro arc
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:44 am

They should adapt the current story arcs in the manga because they have stuff to work with.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:01 pm

I seriously doubt that they would do a retelling of the arcs covered in the 2015 series.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:17 pm

Now that the Super manga has blossomed into its own ongoing thing and not just a marketing vehicle for the anime, I feel like they're just going to stay the course that most other shonen franchises take:

1) the manga will continue
2) the (eventual) return of the anime will adapt the manga arcs. The big differences between anime and manga versions may continue.
3) maybe we'll get a movie every couple of years that tells it's own story (like DBS: Broly or the MHA/One Piece movies)

I'm genuinely interested to see if the fully 3D animation of Super Hero is just a one-off experiment, or if they genuinely want to continue the TV anime in that direction as well.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:20 pm

Maybe in like 20 years, and probably not even then. No matter how good of a production it might get, it wouldn't be profitable to do so. Maybe they'll do a DBS Kai with just the main arcs and different shadings.

Picking up from the Moro arc, maybe expand a little bit on Broly's life prior to meeting Freeza, and some training with Goku or stuff after the movie, plus the Granola arc should do.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:53 pm

I'm always in favor of moving things forward and don't generally like reboots or re-tellings, so I'd rather it just continue with maybe an adaptation of the Moro arc.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:51 pm

Why is my only response

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:10 pm

Super is far too recent to get a reboot. As much as I'd love to see an adaptation of the manga it's just too much of the same when we already had retellings that didn't go down well.

I'd love to see a reboot of the series as a whole starting with Pilaf, and maybe this time having everything from then until Boo just be "Dragon Ball" so a new generation of fans can see it as one big story.

And I know some will say "never remake OG Dragon Ball, it's a classic", but Dragon Ball fans are the kind that watch it all, so no reason to think people who are introduced through a reboot wouldn't be more inclined to check out the classic series.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:22 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:10 pm Super is far too recent to get a reboot. As much as I'd love to see an adaptation of the manga it's just too much of the same when we already had retellings that didn't go down well.

I'd love to see a reboot of the series as a whole starting with Pilaf, and maybe this time having everything from then until Boo just be "Dragon Ball" so a new generation of fans can see it as one big story.

And I know some will say "never remake OG Dragon Ball, it's a classic", but Dragon Ball fans are the kind that watch it all, so no reason to think people who are introduced through a reboot wouldn't be more inclined to check out the classic series.
Fullmetal Alchemist was released on 2003, while Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood was released on 2009, making it a 6 year difference.
DBS anime ended on 2016 while now we are on 2021, making it 5 years since it ended. In 2022 it will be 6 years just like Fullmetal Alchemist.

I would prefer a reboot, this way they can make it better than whatever Toei was thinking when making DBS anime.

Although a reboot of the whole series might not be a bad idea, starting from Kid Goku episode till now. This way all the story is connected and there will be little to no retcon. Although DB/DBZ anime ends the same like the manga. How transformation and powers are gained are identical, while in DBS the manga and anime are too different.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:23 pm

super michael wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:22 pm
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:10 pm Super is far too recent to get a reboot. As much as I'd love to see an adaptation of the manga it's just too much of the same when we already had retellings that didn't go down well.

Fullmetal Alchemist was released on 2003, while Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood was released on 2009, making it a 6 year difference.
DBS anime ended on 2016 while now we are on 2021, making it 5 years since it ended. In 2022 it will be 6 years just like Fullmetal Alchemist.

I would prefer a reboot, this way they can make it better than whatever Toei was thinking when making DBS anime.

Although a reboot of the whole series might not be a bad idea, starting from Kid Goku episode till now. This way all the story is connected and there will be little to no retcon. Although DB/DBZ anime ends the same like the manga. How transformation and powers are gained are identical, while in DBS the manga and anime are too different.
You're always soooo critical of the DBS anime but then you don't know that it ended in 2018? How :crazy: :eh:

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:29 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:23 pm
super michael wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:22 pm

You're always soooo critical of the DBS anime but then you don't know that it ended in 2018? How :crazy: :eh:
My bad in google I typed Dragon Ball Super episode list, I saw the episode on the up/left side and assumed that was the last episode.
Dragon Ball Super last episode was on March 25, 2018 - DBS Episode 131 - "A Miraculous Conclusion! Farewell, Goku! Until We Meet Again!".

Sorry for making that mistake, I should have double checked before posting.

DBS ended 3 years ago, so next year will be 4 years.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:49 pm

While it would be hilarious to get the Super anime back only for it to start all the way back at BoG again, with the intent to give it the Sailor Moon Crystal treatment and stick much closer to the manga and all, I seriously seriously doubt that it's gonna happen. Though I guess the more time passes, the more possible it becomes... But it'll probably just continue with a Broly retelling (not guaranteed but I think it will) and then keep going into a take on the Moro arc and so on. (I realise that this doesn't answer the "should" question, but my answer there is really just that I don't care too much.)
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:52 pm

It would be ideal to reboot the series following the manga while incorporating the good points in both versions, but that would be time-consuming, would require too much planning, and it would be divisive among fans to say the least.

Though at this point I wouldn't expect a Super return for the next 5 years. I assume the series will continue on as movies and maybe the manga arcs will be adapted later on in a HxH situation.
Last edited by Yuji on Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:52 pm

Eww, no. No 'stick close to the comic' nonsense for future Dragon Ball. If I wanted that I'd read the comic. I'm here because I like the creations of the people who are making the cartoon, not to have them suffer for shit money and in shit working conditions to reproduce someone else's shit in color.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:31 pm

There is a problem if the manga isn't in the anime, then any new games won't include those content.

An example MSSB, Goku Hakai, Vegeta Gamma Burst Flash, etc, won't make it to any game. Moro Chapter and Granolah chapter won't be in any Dragon Ball game.

Games normally focus on anime and ignores the manga differences.

DBS Manga is less annoying, characters more intelligence, story is more consistent, less retcons, etc.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:31 pm

I wouldn't even tune in if Super was rebooted following the manga more closely.

I have no interest in watching bad versions of the arcs I already watched 3 years ago frankly put.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:07 pm

I can’t think of anything that would be more tedious than another retelling of BoG and RF. My personal stance is that DBS should just end after the upcoming movie.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:07 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:07 pm I can’t think of anything that would be more tedious than another retelling of BoG and RF. My personal stance is that DBS should just end after the upcoming movie.
I second this. I’m not even convinced we need a movie. Ending the Tournament of Power arc with “We’re going on a short break!” was a big mistake imo.