Would a TV spin off series where Broly is the main character work?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Seekeroftruth
Beyond Newbie

Would a TV spin off series where Broly is the main character work?

Post by Seekeroftruth » Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:35 pm

The character is insanely powerful which will attract many DB fans, is new and fresh and has a lot of room to build him as a character. In addition, he a really good design (far better than goku and vegeta) and overall is a character people want to see more of. Anyone feel he get his own spin off show?

Broly's theme song

https://youtu.be/Zt_NNT2336U

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Would a TV spin off series where Broly is the main character work?

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:57 pm

Honestly, I doubt it would interest me for long. I like this incarnation of Broly that Toriyama had a hand in, but even he isn't compelling enough to me to hold his own series apart from Goku, Vegeta, or any of the main cast. In all the ways he works, and even for the positives you mentioned, I feel like he works best as a supporting character.

EDIT: That's not to say it couldn't work. If his personality develops, along with his relationship with Cheelai, it could actually be quite interesting.
Last edited by Demon Prince Piccolo on Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:29 pm

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:57 pm Honestly, I doubt it would interest me for long. I like this incarnation of Broly that Toriyama had a hand in, but even he isn't compelling enough to me to hold his own series apart from Goku, Vegeta, or any of the main cast. In all the ways he works, and even for the positives you mentioned, I feel like he works best as a supporting character.

Mentioning Vegeta and NOT PICCOLO!? Who are you and what did you do to Demon King Piccolo!?
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:31 pm

Seekeroftruth wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:35 pm In addition, he a really good design (far better than goku and vegeta)
I don't really agree with this point at all. Goku and Vegeta's designs are fit as leading characters. Broly is the muscled brute, and that's his main purpose whenever he appears. The new Broly doesn't understand how civilization works, he's essentially a jungle man. He isn't "smart" enough to carry his own series.
And if it was about him exploring the world for the first time, well, we've been through that plot line with Goku in DB already. And it would feel weird with a 40 year old man.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:57 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:29 pm
Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:57 pm Honestly, I doubt it would interest me for long. I like this incarnation of Broly that Toriyama had a hand in, but even he isn't compelling enough to me to hold his own series apart from Goku, Vegeta, or any of the main cast. In all the ways he works, and even for the positives you mentioned, I feel like he works best as a supporting character.

Mentioning Vegeta and NOT PICCOLO!? Who are you and what did you do to Demon King Piccolo!?
Don't get used to it.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:56 pm

I would love to have a series where Broli grew, was hot and interacted with Cheelai and Lemo. That sounds like a lot of fun.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

DBFanTalk

Post by DBFanTalk » Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:10 pm

It's too soon to tell. Based on what we've seen so far, I doubt his (minimal) personality can carry thirteen episodes. It would be interesting to expose him to different environments to see how he reacts. Maybe the group could do a Guardians of the Galaxy thing.

In terms of direction, what do you see Broly becoming?

Shinsa
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shinsa » Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:19 pm

I would be much more interested in seeing this then another Goku/ Vegeta show....unless some major changes are made with how they treat the two.

There is plenty of ground work done in the Broly movie and a lot of protentional for his character to grow with his rage/primitive out look on life while learning from his companions.
Goku and Vegeta offer nothing interesting anymore while I think Broly could be refreshing but familiar.

So I think it can work but all depends on the writing and for the creators to put care and time into exploring his character rather then just focusing on dumb power ups and recycling old tropes. Make its 24 eps, put budget into the animation to somewhat match the Broly movie and i'd take that any day!

Anonymous Friend
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Anonymous Friend » Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:50 pm

What is this hypothetical show with Broli about? Is it a comedy, drama, mystery? Does it just take place on that planet of his? Is he on a new planet? Is he traveling the stars? Are we adding new characters?

A show about any random thing that shows up on TV when you turn on the set can be interesting if interest and engaging things are happening. Heck, we can make a show about OG Mr. "Kakkoroto!!!!" Broli interesting with interesting characters and events.
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

The Iron Fjord
Beyond Newbie

Post by The Iron Fjord » Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:08 pm

It could in theory, but only if the premise is Broly moves back to his hometown of Stoolbend, Virginia to teach high school baseball with his son, Broly Jr.

MY NAME IS BROLY BROWN.
The Iron Fjord will kick you in the nuts!

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:13 pm

The Iron Fjord wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:08 pm It could in theory, but only if the premise is Broly moves back to his hometown of Stoolbend, Virginia to teach high school baseball with his son, Broly Jr.

MY NAME IS BROLY BROWN.
There’s Old friends and new friends and a sword wielding bear!

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:45 pm

DBFanTalk wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:10 pm It's too soon to tell. Based on what we've seen so far, I doubt his (minimal) personality can carry thirteen episodes. It would be interesting to expose him to different environments to see how he reacts. Maybe the group could do a Guardians of the Galaxy thing.

A galactic ranger who protects wild life like Baa? Feels like it would fit his personality and love of Baa. It also provides a need for him to travel to new locations. Maybe there's a organization of apace poachers who feed on rare creatures to grow their power?

Or whatever!
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

DBFanTalk

Post by DBFanTalk » Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:25 am

JulieYBM wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:45 pm
DBFanTalk wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:10 pm It's too soon to tell. Based on what we've seen so far, I doubt his (minimal) personality can carry thirteen episodes. It would be interesting to expose him to different environments to see how he reacts. Maybe the group could do a Guardians of the Galaxy thing.

A galactic ranger who protects wild life like Baa? Feels like it would fit his personality and love of Baa. It also provides a need for him to travel to new locations. Maybe there's a organization of apace poachers who feed on rare creatures to grow their power?

Or whatever!
I agree. The idea can create opportunities to show off his protector/caring aspect while humanizing him. It would be a nice juxtaposition with his brutish design, kind of like a friendly giant. It could also be used to set him up as a heroic-type character, like Gohan. However, balance is necessary to avoid the risk of underutilizing his immense power. The only real antagonists at this point is the Frieza Force and their aim to weaponize him.