Were the other universes too underpowered?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

theherodjl
I Live Here

Re: Were the other universes too underpowered?

Post by theherodjl » Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:30 pm

I wonder what the hell kind of training Jiren even did to become as strong as he was??? The next strongest fighter in U11, Toppo, is not even a tenth as strong as Jiren and he was being groomed to be the next Hakaishin for his universe. From what it looks like, Jiren just throwing a lot of punches, kicks, and Ki blasts over & over is >> Godly training.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

NickLord
Banned Alternate Account

Post by NickLord » Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:33 pm

Its extremely disappointing how the majority of the ToP contestants could be handled by Base Goku. How can you introduce the concept of a multiverse and not have anything worth exploring or visiting with them? Its a major waste and it only serves to further shrink the series' setting.

ankokudaishogun
Advanced Regular

Post by ankokudaishogun » Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:37 am

theherodjl wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:30 pm I wonder what the hell kind of training Jiren even did to become as strong as he was???
100 Push-ups 100 Sit-ups 100 Squats 10 Km run. EVERY SINGLE DAY!
The next strongest fighter in U11, Toppo, is not even a tenth as strong as Jiren and he was being groomed to be the next Hakaishin for his universe. From what it looks like, Jiren just throwing a lot of punches, kicks, and Ki blasts over & over is >> Godly training.
it's because Jiren never used the air-conditioner, no matter how hot or cold was the weather.

Thani
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Thani » Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:55 am

ankokudaishogun wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:37 am
theherodjl wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:30 pm I wonder what the hell kind of training Jiren even did to become as strong as he was???
100 Push-ups 100 Sit-ups 100 Squats 10 Km run. EVERY SINGLE DAY!
The next strongest fighter in U11, Toppo, is not even a tenth as strong as Jiren and he was being groomed to be the next Hakaishin for his universe. From what it looks like, Jiren just throwing a lot of punches, kicks, and Ki blasts over & over is >> Godly training.
it's because Jiren never used the air-conditioner, no matter how hot or cold was the weather.

Krillin1994
Regular

Post by Krillin1994 » Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:21 am

I am hoping that the TOP saw panic teams rather than the absolute best of the universe. But equally since these other universes are apparently much better than U7 the GoDs and Kais should in theory be more aware of their universes strong fighters - as the anime shown the GoDs are familiar with the tricks and techniques of their universes fighters implying what we saw there probably was amongst the best.

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:42 am

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:13 pm I wouldn't have minded seeing more ace-in-the-hole champions for each universe, but looking back, most universes were very impressive by any reasonable standards.

Same. That's a big part of why I enjoyed the anime over the manga. Even Universe 2's final gambit impressed me.
Universe 3's technology was so advanced that they developed tin-can robots far stronger than almost everyone in the original series, plus a merged monster that could take on all of Universe 7's heavyhitters at once.
U3 came out strong with Narirama and his Beyblade tech. The tin cans still confuse me to this day. How the hell were they so strong? It looked like they used living ki so I wonder if they're cyborgs with "mortal" brains or if some components are organic.
Universe 4 had a microscopic fighter who could beat up Piccolo with the element of surprise.
In the manga even Goku, Jiren, and Toppo were spooked by Damom. Vegeta almost got eliminated by Damom in the anime. If Damom and Gamisaras had managed to fuse with Potara like Kale and Kefla, they might have managed to get to the end.
Even Universe 10 had a stay-at-home dad whose strength rivalled Gohan's. Any of these guys would've made Perfect Cell look puny if they'd shown up earlier.
Best description of Obuni, ever :lol:
I like to believe that most of the universes have stronger warriors that couldn't be recruited in time. Buu and Moro can't be the only eldritch horrors lying in wait out there...
That or even hidden monster fighters like Kale or Broly. Maybe there are creatures like Yakon out there too.

And if Dragon Balls are in those universes than what's stopping someone from being the strongest in the multiverse?
Krillin1994 wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:21 am I am hoping that the TOP saw panic teams rather than the absolute best of the universe.
I think that's part of it and hopefully its the big punchline of the ToP. It would be the perfect way to build upon those worlds, but I get the feeling the AT isn't interested in that. It'll be up to Toei and Toyotaro to convince him.

But if they are planning to skip ahead, then this is good legwork for some adventures with Uub possibly. Maybe ... just maybe they're planning for the long term ... I'm not that hopeful
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:09 am

BWri wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:42 am
LoganForkHands73 wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:13 pm I wouldn't have minded seeing more ace-in-the-hole champions for each universe, but looking back, most universes were very impressive by any reasonable standards.

Same. That's a big part of why I enjoyed the anime over the manga. Even Universe 2's final gambit impressed me.
Yeah, it was definitely neat to see every universe have their own survival strategies.
U3 came out strong with Narirama and his Beyblade tech. The tin cans still confuse me to this day. How the hell were they so strong? It looked like they used living ki so I wonder if they're cyborgs with "mortal" brains or if some components are organic.
I wonder that too. It's like when Beerus assumes that Android #17 and #18 might not be allowed to join since he thought they were robots, and even when Bulma explains that they're mostly human, he's still hesitant. Narirama and the three tin cans were probably all robotic while the rest were all cyborgs, but how they were so strong is anyone's guess. As I said though, I quite like the idea that their tech really is that advanced.
In the manga even Goku, Jiren, and Toppo were spooked by Damom. Vegeta almost got eliminated by Damom in the anime. If Damom and Gamisaras had managed to fuse with Potara like Kale and Kefla, they might have managed to get to the end.
Jeez, a fused fighter who is strong, invisible and microscopic? That would be a devastating combo.

But if they are planning to skip ahead, then this is good legwork for some adventures with Uub possibly. Maybe ... just maybe they're planning for the long term... I'm not that hopeful
Thankfully, in a recent interview Toyotaro expressed interest in exploring other universes in a future arc, so there is hope, my friend.

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:08 pm

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:09 am As I said though, I quite like the idea that their tech really is that advanced.
Not sure why I never thought of that. I guess the gag is that they're extremely advanced even though they look like shit.
Thankfully, in a recent interview Toyotaro expressed interest in exploring other universes in a future arc, so there is hope, my friend.
Welp, then I'm slightly more hopeful.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-