Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 81 - Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Krillin1994
Regular

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 81 - Official Discussion Thread

Post by Krillin1994 » Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:00 pm

Seeing Jaco/anything off of planet Cereal was a moment of fresh air from just seeing the same 8 characters for a year now, especially when 2 of the 4 bad guys are now just window dressing, one is generic evil boss again now (after being so promising), and the main physical threat is "anything you can do I can do better" after having Granolah filling that role for the first part of the arc.

I really was so hoping that the Heeters wish wasn't just a copy paste of Granolah's. how long was it in the story between facing off against Goku and Vegeta after first making his wish also? As Gas was originally framed as physically strong, but beaten by a weaker Bardock implying lacking technique - (I know Goku is saying this to him with instant transmission), but the impression the story gave is that the gap between Bardock and Gas was something wider than the gap of Granolah and Gas or Goku and Gas. So its hard to feel the threat when we know weaker people have bested him. Especially when we all know Goku's technqiue would vastly outclass Bardock's

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:48 am

About Goku using instant teleport, where could he go? To Broly/Frieza or Beerus? Maybe Frieza could have a cameo.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:59 am

Gt91 wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:48 am About Goku using instant teleport, where could he go? To Broly/Frieza or Beerus? Maybe Frieza could have a cameo.
If I recall correctly, Beerus' planet is too far away for him to get there. Maybe he's not going for a fighter but some location that could immobilize him

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:49 pm

mute_proxy wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:59 am
Gt91 wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:48 am About Goku using instant teleport, where could he go? To Broly/Frieza or Beerus? Maybe Frieza could have a cameo.
If I recall correctly, Beerus' planet is too far away for him to get there. Maybe he's not going for a fighter but some location that could immobilize him
It might not be too far from the planet he's on. He can only teleport to familiar kis, so his choices are limited

Goku9001
Regular

Post by Goku9001 » Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:13 pm

This chapter was definitely on the short side especially after revisiting a few of the chapters in the Tournament of Power and the Moro arc in which there was a lot going on. Nevertheless, I really enjoyed this chapter and really loved the twist with Goku teleporting him and Gas to a nearby planet. It's definitely a breath of fresh air after the series of fights back and forth in which characters just constantly power-up. I really hope this opens up the possibility of him revisiting Broly and Frieza considering they are deeply connected to the overarching plot of the arc. This arc really needs something different to keep the arc going.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:27 pm

Thematically, Freeza would be the go-to guy now. He is the one that connects everybody, and at least one member of the three parties that hate him, are willing to kill him.

Gas trying to kill Freeza and Goku standing in the way, not letting him do it, would be kinda hilarous, though.

Broly..umm,. it would be a surprise, nothing even remotely has touched his case, so I don't know why or how he'd be included.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:16 pm

How is nobody considering the Earth? I remember one of the earlier V-Jump scans saying something like "How will Goku and the Earth Warriors deal with the upcoming conflict". And to this day we haven't seen any of the other Z-Fighters being involved, so maybe now's the time?

Krillin1994
Regular

Post by Krillin1994 » Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:09 pm

Goku and Gas teleporting off world really does awful things for the story since Vegeta would've been able to sense where Goku teleported to, really after Monaito helps heal Granolah, he can heal Vegeta.

Vegeta can just take down all the Heeters or let Granolah take down all the Heeters since they're chumps power wise, then Vegeta knows IT so should be able to travel to Goku/Gas as he should still be close enough to sense the strongest being in the universe. or at least teleport to Jaco and then be in range of that teleport to Gas and 2v1 him.

But obviously Vegeta won't use IT because grr stupid Kakarot.

KentMan
Banned

Post by KentMan » Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:34 pm

Krillin1994 wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:09 pm Goku and Gas teleporting off world really does awful things for the story since Vegeta would've been able to sense where Goku teleported to, really after Monaito helps heal Granolah, he can heal Vegeta.

Vegeta can just take down all the Heeters or let Granolah take down all the Heeters since they're chumps power wise, then Vegeta knows IT so should be able to travel to Goku/Gas as he should still be close enough to sense the strongest being in the universe. or at least teleport to Jaco and then be in range of that teleport to Gas and 2v1 him.

But obviously Vegeta won't use IT because grr stupid Kakarot.
That last sentence made me laugh 😂 so much. It’s true he won’t use it but if I remember correctly he said he ain’t gonna be able to used it again. Well Vegeta and Granolah have their hands full now that they’re both injured. It’s starting to look like Goku is gonna deal with Gas by himself unless he gets to Brolys planet or wherever he’s at.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:06 pm

Xeogran wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:16 pm How is nobody considering the Earth? I remember one of the earlier V-Jump scans saying something like "How will Goku and the Earth Warriors deal with the upcoming conflict". And to this day we haven't seen any of the other Z-Fighters being involved, so maybe now's the time?
Honestly, yeah, you're right, it's totally possible that all this teleporting business is how the Z Fighters are going to get involved like it was stated they would. I'm not a huge fan of that idea, to be honest. It would feel kinda artificial, like a kind of "They're on Earth now so that I can use the rest of my action figures" plot point. I hope it's not going to go that way, but I can easily see it happening. I'm not sure how the Z Fighters could be made very relevant when the battle is Goku vs Gas and Vegeta and the others are still on Planet Cereal, though.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Krillin1994
Regular

Post by Krillin1994 » Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:25 pm

Alruneia wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:06 pm
Xeogran wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:16 pm How is nobody considering the Earth? I remember one of the earlier V-Jump scans saying something like "How will Goku and the Earth Warriors deal with the upcoming conflict". And to this day we haven't seen any of the other Z-Fighters being involved, so maybe now's the time?
Honestly, yeah, you're right, it's totally possible that all this teleporting business is how the Z Fighters are going to get involved like it was stated they would. I'm not a huge fan of that idea, to be honest. It would feel kinda artificial, like a kind of "They're on Earth now so that I can use the rest of my action figures" plot point. I hope it's not going to go that way, but I can easily see it happening. I'm not sure how the Z Fighters could be made very relevant when the battle is Goku vs Gas and Vegeta and the others are still on Planet Cereal, though.
It would be rogue, espeically since the other Z fighters are usually used before Goku arrives to fight a baddy. Only way this would work is if it is something that has already been premediated by the Heeters and part of a larger plan that they know Goku's weakness is his loved ones on Earth.

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:45 am

Alruneia wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:06 pmI'm not a huge fan of that idea, to be honest. It would feel kinda artificial, like a kind of "They're on Earth now so that I can use the rest of my action figures" plot point. I hope it's not going to go that way, but I can easily see it happening.
Agreed. That happened in the previous arc, and it was super artificial and forced then too.

But I'm not sure I see Toyotaro making the same move twice. I'm inclined to think Freeza is the most plausible candidate, given his significance to the plot and that I can totally see Goku spilling the beans on the Heeters' plan to overthrow him.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

KentMan
Banned

Post by KentMan » Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:50 am

Mr Baggins wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:45 am But I'm not sure I see Toyotaro making the same move twice. I'm inclined to think Freeza is the most plausible candidate, given his significance to the plot and that I can totally see Goku spilling the beans on the Heeters' plan to overthrow him.
Huh? Why would Frieza help Goku? I’m guessing he’s either going to Broly or the other planets. Btw does anyone know what happened to Oatmeal?

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:48 am

Broly or Freeza would be interesting. Surely it would spice up the battle.

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:43 pm

You know the arc sucks when people are pining for characters who haven't been in the manga in years, at this point, to return in the arc's climax.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:45 pm

KentMan wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:50 am
Mr Baggins wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:45 am But I'm not sure I see Toyotaro making the same move twice. I'm inclined to think Freeza is the most plausible candidate, given his significance to the plot and that I can totally see Goku spilling the beans on the Heeters' plan to overthrow him.
Huh? Why would Frieza help Goku? I’m guessing he’s either going to Broly or the other planets. Btw does anyone know what happened to Oatmeal?
Because the Heeters are against his empire. They are planning to destroy him, so he would have a lot of reasons to defeat Gas and his comrades.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:26 pm

Granny has shunkanido, too, just in case Geets isn't interested in using the technique.

If they do land at Freeza's, Granola might have his long-awaited shot, while Goku and Gas get busy. If Monaito can heal him, and also if they are still in shape to take care of the Heatas. This isn't necessarily an obstacle, Jiren was exhausted after fighting Goku and still had enough left to tank attacks from Goku, Vegeta and Freeza. Battered Vegeta and a sorta healed Granny should have no trouble with Elecc's gang... in theory.

KentMan
Banned

Post by KentMan » Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:11 pm

Gt91 wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:45 pm Because the Heeters are against his empire. They are planning to destroy him, so he would have a lot of reasons to defeat Gas and his comrades.
Does he know they’re against his empire? I highly doubt Goku would go to him for help. Plus Goku would want to fight Gas on his own.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:14 am

Unless Freeza has been doing some serious training, he would just get dragged through the mud and killed in this fight, and would probably try to escape as fast as possible. I'd rather see Meerus join in.

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:06 am

Yeah I think Broly would be a misstep in an arc already filled with them. He has nothing really to do with, well, anything that's going on, and it'd likely serve solely as fanservice for people who want a dream match up of Broly and Goku teaming up to fight Gas.

Aside from that: I don't really know about Frieza. Common sense would dictate that, since Freezer is the supposed common denominator among most of the actors here, that he would show up. But the longer this storyline goes on, the longer I start to really doubt that Frieza will actually have any input in this arc. I mean, there's always next arc, but yeah I think this is it. I really think they're trying to hang the emotional core on fucking Bardock.

Unbelievable.