Was Toyotaro left in the dark regarding "Super Hero" or was it a ruse?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Geraldo
Beyond Newbie

Was Toyotaro left in the dark regarding "Super Hero" or was it a ruse?

Post by Geraldo » Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:28 am

Starting in with Olibu's drawing in his side project ("Toyotaro Drew It") in March of 2021, and up to the point Pikkon's drawing was released in that year's July, with the rest of the fighters from the Grand Kai's Planet tossed into it all at once, it felt as if Toyotaro was hinting that these folks would be related to the back-then-unknown movie. Do you think it was done on purpose or was Toyotaro left outside the movie plannings?

KentMan
Banned

Re: Was Toyotaro left in the dark regarding "Super Hero" or was it a ruse?

Post by KentMan » Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:24 am

Geraldo wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:28 am Starting in with Olibu's drawing in his side project ("Toyotaro Drew It") in March of 2021, and up to the point Pikkon's drawing was released in that year's July, with the rest of the fighters from the Grand Kai's Planet tossed into it all at once, it felt as if Toyotaro was hinting that these folks would be related to the back-then-unknown movie. Do you think it was done on purpose or was Toyotaro left outside the movie plannings?
I’m pretty certain Toyotaro knows the Granolah arc is before super hero so we’ll get answers

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:54 pm

I don't think him drawing them was an admission they would be in a movie. I think it was more he draws a character who has not been in the manga yet. And what bigger pool of characters then a filler arc around the series peak could there be.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:12 pm

Did I miss something? What do they have to do with the movie?

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:20 pm

There's no reason for Toyo to be a part of DBS SH's planning, besides he has enough on his plate as it is. He probably is as curious as the rest of as, and asked Toriyama about it, also there must've been some pointers in order to not contradict the movie.

AFAIK, those characters aren't showing up in the movie. Those characters he draws have more chances of appearing or being referenced in his manga (like Bardock) rathen than in a project he has nothing to do with.

KentMan
Banned

Post by KentMan » Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:57 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:20 pm There's no reason for Toyo to be a part of DBS SH's planning, besides he has enough on his plate as it is. He probably is as curious as the rest of as, and asked Toriyama about it, also there must've been some pointers in order to not contradict the movie.

AFAIK, those characters aren't showing up in the movie. Those characters he draws have more chances of appearing or being referenced in his manga (like Bardock) rathen than in a project he has nothing to do with.
That doesn’t answer anything that’s just you guessing if Toyotaro knows about the movie planning or not. All these guys work together Toriyama works with Toyotaro since he started the Super manga.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:58 pm

KentMan wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:57 pm
Koitsukai wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:20 pm There's no reason for Toyo to be a part of DBS SH's planning, besides he has enough on his plate as it is. He probably is as curious as the rest of as, and asked Toriyama about it, also there must've been some pointers in order to not contradict the movie.

That doesn’t answer anything that’s just you guessing if Toyotaro knows about the movie planning or not. All these guys work together Toriyama works with Toyotaro since he started the Super manga.
Of course it's me guessing, I'm not Toyo, Tori, nor know them in real life. I you wanted an actual, undisputable answer about what Toyo does or does not know, you should've addressed the producers, not other fellow forum members...

Also probably the OP should say if my post answered anything or not, after all he did ask what we thought, not what we know.

KentMan
Banned

Post by KentMan » Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:08 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:58 pm
KentMan wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:57 pm

Of course it's me guessing, I'm not Toyo, Tori, nor know them in real life. I you wanted an actual, undisputable answer about what Toyo does or does not know, you should've addressed the producers, not other fellow forum members...

Also probably the OP should say if my post answered anything or not, after all he did ask what we thought, not what we know.
That again makes no sense we know that Toyotaro works with Toriyama and no where did I say that any forum members would know anything about whether he knew the movie planning or not. I don’t know how you never read the interviews that basically answer yes him and the boss work together and they never butt heads.

Geraldo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Geraldo » Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:14 am

I had started this discussion because I've noticed that since October of 2018 and January of 2019 (included) all Toyotaro did on his side project was to hype the upcoming "Broly" movie; that's the only months old streak he had done prior to sticking to the Other World Tournament Saga characters (sans Tapikar whom he drew on November of 2019) between March and August of 2021; which made me suspect he wasn't in on any of the movie's plannings.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:53 am

Geraldo wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:14 am I had started this discussion because I've noticed that since October of 2018 and January of 2019 (included) all Toyotaro did on his side project was to hype the upcoming "Broly" movie; that's the only months old streak he had done prior to sticking to the Other World Tournament Saga characters (sans Tapikar whom he drew on November of 2019) between March and August of 2021; which made me suspect he wasn't in on any of the movie's plannings.
Considering how taxating a mangaka's schedule is, I doubt he has enough time to meet with producers, the DB Room, or discuss some other project besides his own manga, he is already planning the next arcs, so his meetings with Toriyama probably are about those new stories, and not about the upcoming movie.
I don't think he was credited for the Broly movie, though.

I'd say it was just a coincidence, but those characters he draws could be part, in some way, of the manga eventually. Bardock already made it into DBS, and there are a lot of hints at existing characters. The anime Yadratians were included, too, even if the Yadratians ended up having different designs.

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:17 pm

Considering that Toyotaro is a gigantic part of the DBS canon, it doesn't make sense at all that he would somehow not be aware that there would be a movie coming out.

ankokudaishogun
Advanced Regular

Post by ankokudaishogun » Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:44 am

Toyo not knowing about SH would be a gigantic fuckup from the DBRoom: not saying he should have all the details of the plot, but at least the general outline of the events is basically a necessity

KentMan
Banned

Post by KentMan » Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:06 pm

ankokudaishogun wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:44 am Toyo not knowing about SH would be a gigantic fuckup from the DBRoom: not saying he should have all the details of the plot, but at least the general outline of the events is basically a necessity
No don’t listen to what others think Toyotaro would never be in the dark

Jinto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jinto » Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:00 am

I wouldn't make sense for Toyotaro to be left in the dark but that wouldn't surprise me since the current arc is supposedly ending soon even though we barely got any worthwhile content.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Feb 20, 2022 5:25 am

I don’t think he was left in the dark. Why should he? He’s quite important nowadays, what would be the reason not to give him the plot of Super Hero? It would be dumb, as he should know how to move in his stories without interfering with it.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Omori
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Omori » Sun Feb 20, 2022 5:32 am

Geraldo wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:28 am Starting in with Olibu's drawing in his side project ("Toyotaro Drew It") in March of 2021, and up to the point Pikkon's drawing was released in that year's July, with the rest of the fighters from the Grand Kai's Planet tossed into it all at once, it felt as if Toyotaro was hinting that these folks would be related to the back-then-unknown movie. Do you think it was done on purpose or was Toyotaro left outside the movie plannings?

Toyotaro actually mentioned that he drew the series of Afterlife Tournament fighters as the real-world Tokyo Olympic games were approaching. In a sense, "do your best, athlets!"
https://twitter.com/TOYOTARO_Vjump/stat ... 0935006211

About him being left in the dark about Super Hero.. I guess he is up-to-date, as he might connects the Granolah arc with the movie and possibly the following arc (which we don't have details yet).

ankokudaishogun
Advanced Regular

Post by ankokudaishogun » Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:55 pm

KentMan wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:06 pm
ankokudaishogun wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:44 am Toyo not knowing about SH would be a gigantic fuckup from the DBRoom: not saying he should have all the details of the plot, but at least the general outline of the events is basically a necessity
...that is what I mean. Was it that unclear?

I mean, he's part-writer of the manga, At the very least the general outline of the movie is a literal necessity for him to know

KentMan
Banned

Post by KentMan » Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:07 pm

ankokudaishogun wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:55 pm
KentMan wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:06 pm
...that is what I mean. Was it that unclear?

I mean, he's part-writer of the manga, At the very least the general outline of the movie is a literal necessity for him to know
Chapter 82 will answer if Goku goes to Broly or not thus more than likely setting up events

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:45 am

Those drawings aren't meant to hint at anything, he just picks characters from the series he has never drawn before and draws them. That's it.

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Sun Apr 17, 2022 1:09 am

Toyotaro have never participated in the movies I don't see what's new :(