VIZ Dragon Ball Manga (Uncensored)

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

VIZ Dragon Ball Manga (Uncensored)

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:48 pm

Viz manga has never been 100% uncensored. I recently got an e-reader and I do like Viz's overall translation. So, this is a personal project. I thought I'd share my progress however.

I decided to make a uncensored version (using viz digital as base). I figured this would be easier than scanning every page my Omnibus' and then Scanning my Japanese volumes for the corrections. I'm also using the scans on archive.org for some of the original dialogue translations.

Volume 1 is almost done, just a little more. I plan on removing all visual censership, as well as restoring some of the original dialogue ("feel" instead of "peek" cursing etc.)

An example:
Left: Original Right: Fix
Top:Original
Bottom: Fix

Is there a decent general guide on visiual changes/dialogue? (I have a pretty good idea with popo, guns etc.)

Here are some full size pages with translation fixes

Dragon Ball Vol. 2

Dragon Ball Z Vol. 4
Image ImageImage
Last edited by eledoremassis02 on Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Re: VIZ Dragon Ball Manga (Uncensored)

Post by Jackalope89 » Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:01 pm

Usually up to the translator/group on what to do. Some do the bare minimum and use google translate, which half the time comes out as nonsense. But the good ones;

Like the English word "Naked" there in the panel. While what's there is fine, others may alter the font a bit to exaggerate the word and really hit home on the message. Some translators will leave a little note here and there, like under a panel, either as a general comment on the manga, or a quick explanation of what's happening. And some translators go all in with making things English, but some will Anglicize the Japanese word as the translation doesn't quite fit as well.

But like I said, it varies from individual to individual, and group to group on what to do.

Not a translator, but I have read a LOT of manga and manwha/manwa (the Korean manga).

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:12 pm

Jackalope89 wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:01 pm Usually up to the translator/group on what to do. Some do the bare minimum and use google translate, which half the time comes out as nonsense. But the good ones;

Like the English word "Naked" there in the panel. While what's there is fine, others may alter the font a bit to exaggerate the word and really hit home on the message. Some translators will leave a little note here and there, like under a panel, either as a general comment on the manga, or a quick explanation of what's happening. And some translators go all in with making things English, but some will Anglicize the Japanese word as the translation doesn't quite fit as well.

But like I said, it varies from individual to individual, and group to group on what to do.

Not a translator, but I have read a LOT of manga and manwha/manwa (the Korean manga).
Oh yea, I don't mind the english text that was originally on the VIZ one, but I want to try and keep it as original as possible (plus they erased some of Bulmas linework). I feel like once the Buu arc hits, there's gonna be a lot ...aka...SATAN :lol:

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:25 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:12 pm
Jackalope89 wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:01 pm Usually up to the translator/group on what to do. Some do the bare minimum and use google translate, which half the time comes out as nonsense. But the good ones;

Oh yea, I don't mind the english text that was originally on the VIZ one, but I want to try and keep it as original as possible (plus they erased some of Bulmas linework). I feel like once the Buu arc hits, there's gonna be a lot ...aka...SATAN :lol:
I can understand not translating action sound affects because it fucks up the art and they aren't a one to one with like Bam and crash but the word "naked" should really be translated because it's literally a word like the words in dialogue.

Otherwise we get to "kekiku means plan" level cringe.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:50 pm

TobyS wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:25 pm

I can understand not translating action sound affects because it fucks up the art and they aren't a one to one with like Bam and crash but the word "naked" should really be translated because it's literally a word like the words in dialogue.

fan point, I was focusing on the art (with the line art getting whipped out). I could try keeping the text in engish and spare the line art

Retake:
Top - Viz
Bottom - Fix

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:59 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:50 pm
TobyS wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:25 pm

fan point, I was focusing on the art (with the line art getting whipped out). I could try keeping the text in engish and spare the line art

Retake:
Top - Viz
Bottom - Fix
Oh I see it now sorry didn't catch that part. Either way it's a cool project dude.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:54 pm

TobyS wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:59 pm
Oh I see it now sorry didn't catch that part. Either way it's a cool project dude.
For some reason it always stood out too me :lol:

Here is an example un "unrevising" text

Top: New Translation
Bottom: Original (and more accurate) translation

I also skipped ahead and fixed the biggest translation issue with the Manga, using my own translation. These are full size for anyone who wishes to use them
Image ImageImage

Edit: I also fixed the translation in Vol.2 in regards to the Japanese on the moon refference (I turned it into a translation note)

goku1234
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by goku1234 » Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:29 pm

are u planning to translate dragon ball AF vol. 20 into english??

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:25 am

goku1234 wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:29 pm are u planning to translate dragon ball AF vol. 20 into english??
I do not, I all honesty, I need to catch up on it. I think there is a team behind it already as well

goku1234
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by goku1234 » Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:08 am

eledoremassis02 wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:25 am
goku1234 wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:29 pm are u planning to translate dragon ball AF vol. 20 into english??
I do not, I all honesty, I need to catch up on it. I think there is a team behind it already as well
ok thank you..