The mystery of the 1997 Broadcast of the French dub of DBGT

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

donwynne

The mystery of the 1997 Broadcast of the French dub of DBGT

Post by donwynne » Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:44 am

I was browsing to see if there's any more intros in French and one day I found the French Dragon Ball GT intro which is extended. However, I was watching the DBGT OP Multilanguage which came out in 2015 and I saw the French Intro which is a 20 second clip. I was browsing to see if there's such thing as the 1997 Broadcast of the French Dub of DBGT. It was supposed to have the French Intro Theme (not the Japanese intro theme as we all know) and the Mangas Channel screen bug, which we are all familiar of. I tried finding it on YouTube, no evidence. I tried finding it on Google, no evidence. If there's anyone who knows about the French Dub of DBGT, let me know if you found the 1997 French Broadcast because it's RARE.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Re: The mystery of the 1997 Broadcast of the French dub of DBGT

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:08 pm

I know that at least once the French dub of GT broadcast with a full instrumental version of the Japanese TV-size recording of Dan Dan, so weirdness with the OP sounds pretty normal for the French dub as far as I'm aware.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Brilliant_Gear_258
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Brilliant_Gear_258 » Wed May 11, 2022 2:28 am

That's the exact intro I'm looking for! I heard it was once archived on TagTele before it got taken down years later. Plus, I also saw that Multilanguage video from 2015. Also, I archived that 20-second fragment on the Internet Archive:

https://archive.org/details/dragon-ball ... incomplete

BTW, there is such thing as the 1997 Broadcast of the French dub of GT. It was claimed to be a edited version of the French dub of GT for censorship reasons because the dubbing studio in France, known as "S.O.F.I", made that dub and it was gonna have either a 30-second version of Ending 1 undubbed or keep the French intro and use it as an outro (just like OG DB and DBZ). TF1 was gonna broadcast GT (just like OG DB and DBZ) but it got cancelled due to the Club Dorothée kids block ending that TF1 decided to have Mangas air that 1997 Broadcast of GT which will buy TF1 some time to air uncut versions of OG DB and DBZ in 1998 (which is why the French intros are kept). In 1999, DBGT was broadcasted in its uncut form, but the dubbing is still done by S.O.F.I and it featured the captions that will later be re-used for the Blue Water dub.

Gilby1385
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gilby1385 » Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:14 pm

Come out, come out, wherever you are! I see you! Well, it was worth a try.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Dec 23, 2022 2:30 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:08 pm I know that at least once the French dub of GT broadcast with a full instrumental version of the Japanese TV-size recording of Dan Dan, so weirdness with the OP sounds pretty normal for the French dub as far as I'm aware.
I had a VHS with that version. What is more of a mystery, though, is what the hell happened with the recorded previews dubbed in french.

Joujou
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Joujou » Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:16 am

donwynne wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:44 am I was browsing to see if there's any more intros in French and one day I found the French Dragon Ball GT intro which is extended. However, I was watching the DBGT OP Multilanguage which came out in 2015 and I saw the French Intro which is a 20 second clip. I was browsing to see if there's such thing as the 1997 Broadcast of the French Dub of DBGT. It was supposed to have the French Intro Theme (not the Japanese intro theme as we all know) and the Mangas Channel screen bug, which we are all familiar of. I tried finding it on YouTube, no evidence. I tried finding it on Google, no evidence. If there's anyone who knows about the French Dub of DBGT, let me know if you found the 1997 French Broadcast because it's RARE.
There is no specific french dub, DBGT was only dubbed one time with no change to the dub. so the 1997 one is the same as what you can get on french dvd ( the only thing that is not the same is that 1997 one used japanese first opening and ending all along)

All airings only used differrent cut of the same video master (sometimes with few NEP dubbed in french, sometimes with japanese title card dubbed too, sometimes instrumental and sometimes silent. and others without them it was very random)

most airings used the first opening and the first ending song in japanese like various country also did, but i know that AB1 channel used once an instrumental version of the first opening and ending song.

"bernard minet" created an "opening" for dbgt cause it was supposed to air on TF1 but it wasn't used on any channel, the video is a fanmade using a tv airing and the song added to it, no one in france have never seen this song used in a tv airing (and we are happy that it wasn't used)

Opening and ending song aren't related to the video master or the french dub, so basically each airing could use whatever version of the op

There is only one and only airing of the full uncensored french dub that have all title card and all NEP dubbed in french and it aired in 2010-2011 only using the dragon box video master with all japanese openings and all ending
As "mangas" didn't really make any announcement about this "new version", most people thinked it was an xxxxx rerun and it was poorly followed (and dbgt is not really popular in france) it never rerun on mangas since that time , it aired only one time on "game one" few month after but it was exactly the same video and audio as the french dvd" it never rerun since 12 years

Dbgt was only added on "anime digital network" (ADN) a legal streaming service last year but NEP and title cards are in japanese language so it don't use this uncensored version

as it's a "mangas" channel specific version, except if there is a rerun or if DBGT is released on Bluray, this version will stay impossible to get
Only one french collector recorded it but will never share it

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Oct 05, 2023 11:48 am

Joujou wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:16 am
donwynne wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:44 am I was browsing to see if there's any more intros in French and one day I found the French Dragon Ball GT intro which is extended. However, I was watching the DBGT OP Multilanguage which came out in 2015 and I saw the French Intro which is a 20 second clip. I was browsing to see if there's such thing as the 1997 Broadcast of the French Dub of DBGT. It was supposed to have the French Intro Theme (not the Japanese intro theme as we all know) and the Mangas Channel screen bug, which we are all familiar of. I tried finding it on YouTube, no evidence. I tried finding it on Google, no evidence. If there's anyone who knows about the French Dub of DBGT, let me know if you found the 1997 French Broadcast because it's RARE.
There is no specific french dub, DBGT was only dubbed one time with no change to the dub. so the 1997 one is the same as what you can get on french dvd ( the only thing that is not the same is that 1997 one used japanese first opening and ending all along)

All airings only used differrent cut of the same video master (sometimes with few NEP dubbed in french, sometimes with japanese title card dubbed too, sometimes instrumental and sometimes silent. and others without them it was very random)

most airings used the first opening and the first ending song in japanese like various country also did, but i know that AB1 channel used once an instrumental version of the first opening and ending song.

"bernard minet" created an "opening" for dbgt cause it was supposed to air on TF1 but it wasn't used on any channel, the video is a fanmade using a tv airing and the song added to it, no one in france have never seen this song used in a tv airing (and we are happy that it wasn't used)

Opening and ending song aren't related to the video master or the french dub, so basically each airing could use whatever version of the op

There is only one and only airing of the full uncensored french dub that have all title card and all NEP dubbed in french and it aired in 2010-2011 only using the dragon box video master with all japanese openings and all ending
As "mangas" didn't really make any announcement about this "new version", most people thinked it was an xxxxx rerun and it was poorly followed (and dbgt is not really popular in france) it never rerun on mangas since that time , it aired only one time on "game one" few month after but it was exactly the same video and audio as the french dvd" it never rerun since 12 years

Dbgt was only added on "anime digital network" (ADN) a legal streaming service last year but NEP and title cards are in japanese language so it don't use this uncensored version

as it's a "mangas" channel specific version, except if there is a rerun or if DBGT is released on Bluray, this version will stay impossible to get
Oh, so someone recorded the most complete French broadcast?

Joujou
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Joujou » Thu Oct 05, 2023 12:13 pm

sangofe wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 11:48 am

Yes but not worthy as it will never be shared, so your only hope is a rerun or a DBGT Bluray Box from AB

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Oct 05, 2023 1:15 pm

Joujou wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 12:13 pm
sangofe wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 11:48 am

Yes but not worthy as it will never be shared, so your only hope is a rerun or a DBGT Bluray Box from AB
Never say never is the philosophy I live by. Wonder if AB would make a complete French dub on blu ray or not.

Joujou
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Joujou » Fri Oct 06, 2023 2:54 am

sangofe wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 1:15 pm Never say never is the philosophy I live by. Wonder if AB would make a complete French dub on blu ray or not.
and I go by facts:
- the collector won't share them, that's a fact, many have tried and failed
- AB didn't release a collector's DVD of Dragon Ball GT because of the series' poor reputation in France, precisely to the point that it hasn't been broadcast for 12 years, whereas Dragon Ball and Z are regularly shown on their channels.

I'm not saying that it won't be shown again, but many remakes such as urusei yatsura have been broadcast even though the original series hasn't been shown for nearly 20 years, which is why I don't have much faith in it personally. Everything will depend on bluray sales and demand for DBGT. but i really don't feel that they will air dbgt as for now