What would you do if you were sent back to 2002 with all DB heroes footage from today?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Seekeroftruth
Beyond Newbie

What would you do if you were sent back to 2002 with all DB heroes footage from today?

Post by Seekeroftruth » Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:07 pm

You are sent back to 2002 when DBZ was widely popular in America and showing on Cartoon network. You are given all the video footage from DB: Super and DB: Heroes to use. How would you go about using them?
https://youtu.be/jspe90HA2Eg[url][/url]

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: What would you do if you were sent back to 2002 with all DB heroes footage from today?

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:27 pm

Burn them :) :)

Zephyr
I Live Here

Re: What would you do if you were sent back to 2002 with all DB heroes footage from today?

Post by Zephyr » Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:10 pm

The only sensible thing to do: fan the flames of "Dragon Ball AF" rumors.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:19 pm

Use it to acquire financial independence from my family and transition, of course.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:30 pm

Probably have a hell of a time playing it with any real success.

Widescreen HD footage? Even just 720p? An MP4 file? All that would be doable in 2002, but it would take an insane amount of computing power and display ability that regular folks wouldn't have. What format would I bring it back on? Did I even have a USB port on my computer in college? Probably have to be a burned CD (definitely not a DVD yet).

So assuming that instead we're talking about something a little more reasonable for the day -- like a 320x240 crop in an MPEG-1 or something -- it would indeed be pretty wild, but it would also mostly be incomprehensible. Sure, we'd all understand the basics of it, but there's so much in there that requires "modern" understanding of the franchise that it would be too much, even more so than trying to understand GT stuff from fansubs when you only know some of DB and DBZ.

I don't think it would be too much of a surprise, though. I honestly think the biggest question would be "why did it take so long for them to make this?" instead of, say, when they actually wanted to make this kind of series back in roughly 2008/2009.

(I think I'd much rather take FF7 Remake back in time to my younger self! :lol: )
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:42 pm

I would disregard them and watch DBZ on Toonami like the cool kids used to do
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:15 pm

I'd like to jump back a little earlier than 2002 (take me to early 1996 then I could really create a full alternate timeline and learn if that other option would've truly been the better one), but if it's 2002 or bust I'd absolutely leap back into 2002. Honestly I'd be more preoccupied with seeing the family and pets I've since lost alive and healthy again, making certain choices earlier in life and taking more risks. (Not to mention traveling to all the places that have since closed or gone away. New Jersey malls circa 2002 had so many more fun/cool stores than present day).

Dragon Ball though? I'd have a ton of free time again so on a second loop I'd enter with better art skills than the first time around and a spare 20 years to improve further, but I don't have the same excited energy about the series anymore so a lot of my fanworks just wouldn't happen. I could post SDBH screenshots on my then-existent geocities (rip) page, but that's about it.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:52 pm

I'd sell copies to Beckett Magazine and Funimation for millions.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Apr 07, 2022 5:17 pm

Bin it and go record the Westwood dubs of DB/Z/GT off TV in good quality. And while I'm at it, sit back, relax, and enjoy watching it all on TV as it aired.

Alternatively, I go to Fox and show them how utterly dogshit DB Heroes is and say "Never, ever acquire the film rights to this franchise!" then I return to a future where tired, uninspired, post-manga Toriyama may have never returned to Dragon Ball and we have nothing but new blood working on it. Failing that, I return to 2002 again and swap around the scripts so the earlier, draft version of the DB Evolution script was filmed instead so that, instead of merely being a pretty bad movie, it's a The Room level of batshit loco "so bad it's good" movie.

Yet another alternative is I post clips online and tell everyone it's Dragon Ball AF, then watch everyone completely lose their goddamn minds over it. :lol:
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Zillamon51
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zillamon51 » Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:47 am

What could you do with it? Legally? You couldn't make millions airing it on TV, or selling it to Toei or Funi. They would see it as nothing more than an elaborate forgery.

And if it was ever verified that you were really from the future, you'd spend the rest of your miserable life in a government lab / military facility.
"...It’s still going to be the same sort of easy-to-understand content as always." - Akira Toriyama, on transitioning from DBZ to DBS.

"Just repeat to yourself, It's just a show,
I should really just relax..." - MST3K theme song

ZodaEX
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZodaEX » Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:20 am

I'd put it in my closet to watch later.

Mr.Poot

Post by Mr.Poot » Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:34 am

Upload it on to Newgrounds.