Any FUNi dubisms you still find yourself saying from time to time?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Any FUNi dubisms you still find yourself saying from time to time?

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:51 am

Majority of them I still use. “Say-in” in particular I’ll never switch over. It’s too engrained in me, and “GO-ku” just flows better than “Go-KUU” in conversation for me. Tien, Krillin, Flying Nimbus, etc.

When I’m writing I use Freeza over Frieza, and pretty much exclusively use Mr. Satan (though the uncut dub uses that anyway)

For Bra/Bulla, I switch back and forth. Also I use the dub names of the Shadow Dragons, because frankly “One Star Dragon” is a boring name compared to Omega Shenron.

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:12 am

I think the only words that I use that could be considered "dubism" would be, as others have mentioned, the way syllables are emphasized ("GOku" as opposed to "GoKU"), though that's more down to the nuance of Japanese pitch accent. It's just the nature of English to automatically emphasize the first syllable in many cases. It's more a natural language thing than specific to anything any dubs have introduced and I don't think an English speaker has any obligation to follow the strict rules of Japanese pitch accent. When speaking Japanese I probably slip into using the proper emphasis but I'm not natively skilled in it so I'm sure I still slip into old habits from time to time.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Tue Dec 05, 2023 5:11 pm

Adamant wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:38 pm It's more like calling the protagonist of Naruto "Nalt". It's technically not "wrong", but there's abolutely no logical thought behind it. Those examples you gave can at least be defended in SOME way beyond "wild guess".
My two cents: "Kuririn" is (for me at least) difficult to say, and doesn't roll off the tongue very easily.

That, and every time I watch the JP version, they pronounce it like "KU-LEE-LEEN" anyway (since that's how they say their Rs)... So "Krillin" at least sounds similar when spoken aloud. Not so for "Nalt vs Naruto" or "Bills vs Beerus".
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

solid.state.scouter.

Post by solid.state.scouter. » Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:47 am

I'm happy to say I've purged most of the dub-isms from my lexicon over the last 11+ years. I still know them of course and I often have to use "Say-ain" and "Krillin" in conversation with people so they know what I'm talking about. But the one that I still catch myself saying is "android" instead of "number" when referring to a specific artificial human. For some reason I can't seem to shake that one. :crazy:

The names of the various Ginyu members were tricky for me for the longest time but I think I've finally defaulted to saying Butta, Jheese, Gurd and Reacoom.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:14 pm

Does ‘Bulma’ count? I know the word is written on her clothes in the original manga and the anime, but I’m pretty sure that’s more the result of Toriyama not being fluent in English than him actually naming the character that. ‘Blooma’ makes more sense in terms of the pun, but I can’t bring myself to stop calling her Bulma.

Aside from that, I still spell the characters name as Broly rather than Broli. Something about it just seems more aesthetically pleasing to me. Oh, and I say Cooler instead of Coola.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:24 am

WittyUsername wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:14 pm Does ‘Bulma’ count? I know the word is written on her clothes in the original manga and the anime, but I’m pretty sure that’s more the result of Toriyama not being fluent in English than him actually naming the character that. ‘Blooma’ makes more sense in terms of the pun, but I can’t bring myself to stop calling her Bulma.

Aside from that, I still spell the characters name as Broly rather than Broli. Something about it just seems more aesthetically pleasing to me. Oh, and I say Cooler instead of Coola.
The official subtitles use Bulma (and we know Simmons has no qualms with using names that aren't spelled or pronounced the way Funimation decided on) and yeah it's on an awful lot of her outfits. I can't really see it a dubism as much as lost in translation.

I don't see it as any less accurate than Blooma which always seemed like fans trying to meet halfway with Bloomer and Bulma.

I remember way back in the early 2000s (and probably since at least the 90s) most fansites used Buruma anyways. I have no idea if that's more accurate or if that's the equivalent of saying Bejita and Furiza, phonetically correct but wrong.

All this to say I prefer Bulma over Bloomer and Buruma and certainly prefer it over "Blooma" so I'm gonna continue to call her Bulma

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:26 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:24 am I remember way back in the early 2000s (and probably since at least the 90s) most fansites used Buruma anyways. I have no idea if that's more accurate or if that's the equivalent of saying Bejita and Furiza, phonetically correct but wrong.
The character ブルマ is named after ブルマ, a garment that's commonly referred to as "buruma" in English. The word technically comes from the English word "bloomers", but it refers to modern athletic bloomers, which a) are not something that ever existed outside of Japan and thus don't technically HAVE an English name, b) are a modernized version of classic althletic bloomers, which were never what the word "bloomers" primarily referred to in English anyway, and c) are not something most non-Japanese speakers are particularly familiar with in either its modern or classic form, and definitely not what they're going to think of when they hear the word bloomers.

So no, it's accurate enough. If anything it's "Bulma" that's wrong, it's presumably just Toriyama just making a best-guess at how you spell the word in English. Nobody would've spelled it that way if it wasn't for that being the spelling used in the first chapter/episode (and not a WHOLE lot of other places in the series itself, really), which also explains why none of the old fansites used it; Few fans back then had seen all that much pre-Z, so where would they get that spelling from?

Spellings like "Blooma" and whatnot seem to be fans mistakenly assuming ブルマ is one of Toriyama's typical "spell the word slightly differently" names and that the word is actually spelled ブルマー.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Jan 01, 2024 12:49 pm

Adamant wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:26 am
The character ブルマ is named after ブルマ, a garment that's commonly referred to as "buruma" in English. The word technically comes from the English word "bloomers", but it refers to modern athletic bloomers, which a) are not something that ever existed outside of Japan and thus don't technically HAVE an English name, b) are a modernized version of classic althletic bloomers, which were never what the word "bloomers" primarily referred to in English anyway, and c) are not something most non-Japanese speakers are particularly familiar with in either its modern or classic form, and definitely not what they're going to think of when they hear the word bloomers.
Makes sense.

. Nobody would've spelled it that way if it wasn't for that being the spelling used in the first chapter/episode (and not a WHOLE lot of other places in the series itself, really), which also explains why none of the old fansites used it; Few fans back then had seen all that much pre-Z, so where would they get that spelling from?[
It was on like almost every outfit she wore in the early part of the story before she switched to the Playboy Bunny outfit, it was also on the outfit she wore at the 21st Tenkaichi Tournament. It definitely appeared frequently enough for that spelling to cement itself as the "official" romanization , as opposed to Kuririn just briefly wearing that Kulilin hat on the way to Namek. I at least imagine that's why Steve Simmons used it for his subtitles instead of Buruma.

Good point that it seems like even most fans of the original Japanese version hadn't seen much of pre-Z back then which is probably why Buruma was so prolific back then.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Sat Jan 06, 2024 11:58 pm

I am not exactly someone who grew up with the FUNi dub but I sometimes refer Xi Ying Long as Omega Shenron rather than One Star Dragon (or as in our LA Spanish dub, Dragón de Una Estrella) because I don't feel like saying the latter every time I want to mention the guy.

DB1984
Banned

Post by DB1984 » Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:56 pm

Anything from Dale Kelly.

Civic
Beyond Newbie

Post by Civic » Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:55 pm

I use the English translations since I only watch it dubbed, however I will sometimes switch some names to their Japanese counterparts since I was around in the early 00's fansites. I'll use terms like Tenshinhan, Kaioshin and Kienzan interchangeably but I largely stick with the English translations. (Though I don't like the kame-hame-ha wave)

FireFly
Not-So-Newbie

Post by FireFly » Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:40 am

Mostly for GT characters as that was an anime-only work. I'm more used to saying Don Kee, Mutchy Mutchy etc. than the Japanese incarnations.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:45 am

In conversation, I keep all of the dubisms because it's become clear to me that nobody I come across in my day-to-day life is a fan of the series the way I'm a fan of the series. My friends that watched it alongside me never ventured deep into it and when I meet someone new who's like, "Yeah! Dragon Ball Z is awesome!" I usually gauge them and see that they're also casual fans. So, I just stick with dubisms because that's all they know.

I meet a new friend through my wife in the last few years who I have a lot in common with, so of course, he's into the series, but also very surface level. We would text a bit and I could see that the non-dubism spellings just weren't landing, so to not seem like a smart-ass "look what I know," I just switched over lol

For me, personally, I prefer the Japanese version and stay away from dubisms online, but I also realize that not everyone cares enough about the series to learn all about it the way that we have. So, I leave it alone.

BootyCheeksJohnson
Beyond Newbie

Post by BootyCheeksJohnson » Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:47 am

Soppa Saia People wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:41 pm also "krillin" is bad anyway because it just totally destroys the pun, unless you want to argue that they tried to go with a krill pun, which i kind of doubt and isn't really a equivalent to his actually pun's orgins.
I still catch myself saying Krillin sometimes. Your point about it confusing people for a krill pun actually happened to me. I thought it was a pun on krill and Shaolin.
We need a Steve Simmons retranslation of the manga.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:48 pm

Sometimes I still say Solar Flare than Taiyōken because at least the name makes somewhat sense. For over 20 years, I have seen Gyarikku Hō be translated as "Galick", "Gallick", "Garick", "Garrick", etc. So Galick Gun doesn't feel that bad to me.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/