Any FUNi dubisms you still find yourself saying from time to time?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Anonymous Friend
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Any FUNi dubisms you still find yourself saying from time to time?

Post by Anonymous Friend » Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:47 pm

I still hear the hawaiian king's name called in vain from very so often. And sometimes it pops out of my mouth.

But do you find yourself saying things like Kay-O-Ken at all anymore?

What else is out there that FUNi used to mispronounce, that they've stopped but sometime you revert back to?
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Any FUNi dubisms you still find yourself saying from time to time?

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Apr 13, 2022 6:30 pm

I'll still more often than not pronounce Saiyan in my head as Say in instead of Sai yan

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Wed Apr 13, 2022 6:52 pm

I still say...

"Say-in" instead of "Sai-yin."

"GOku instead of goKU."

"Krillin" instead of "Kuririn."

That said, I don't feel particularly bad about that last one because I was told that was an acceptable romanization of his name.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:02 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 6:52 pm I still say...

That said, I don't feel particularly bad about that last one because I was told that was an acceptable romanization of his name.
I'm pretty sure it is the same way Freeza's name can be transliterated as Furiza and Bulma's name can be Bloomer or Buruma

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:38 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:02 pm

I'm pretty sure it is the same way Freeza's name can be transliterated as Furiza and Bulma's name can be Bloomer or Buruma
It's more like calling the protagonist of Naruto "Nalt". It's technically not "wrong", but there's abolutely no logical thought behind it. Those examples you gave can at least be defended in SOME way beyond "wild guess".
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:04 pm

Adamant wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:38 pm

It's more like calling the protagonist of Naruto "Nalt". It's technically not "wrong", but there's abolutely no logical thought behind it. Those examples you gave can at least be defended in SOME way beyond "wild guess".
It's not a "wild guess" though

The argument for Kuririn seems to be that it keeps the pun intact which is the same reason Vegeta and Freeza are preferred over Bejita and Furiza

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:13 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:04 pm
Adamant wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:38 pm

It's not a "wild guess" though

The argument for Kuririn seems to be that it keeps the pun intact which is the same reason Vegeta and Freeza are preferred over Bejita and Furiza
"Vegeta" and "Freeza" are educated romanizations that take the source word into account, while "Bejita" and "Furiza" are straight romanizations with unmarked elongated vowels. "Kuririn" and "Naruto" are both at the same time. "Krillin" and "Nalt" are neither, and only have "well it could technically be romanized this way" as their sole argument. Which is also the case for various other spellings like "Krilin", "Clirin" and "Klylin". Complete wild guesses, all of them.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:41 pm

also "krillin" is bad anyway because it just totally destroys the pun, unless you want to argue that they tried to go with a krill pun, which i kind of doubt and isn't really a equivalent to his actually pun's orgins.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:06 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:41 pm also "krillin" is bad anyway because it just totally destroys the pun, unless you want to argue that they tried to go with a krill pun, which i kind of doubt and isn't really a equivalent to his actually pun's orgins.
Heh, I hear 'ya, and trust me, I'm not gonna pretend for one second that the "new" pun created by Kuririn's adapted name was in line with the author's intent. It totally wasn't, it was just a fortunate accident. That name was romanized back when the people adapting the show were not nearly as in-tune with the show as they are now. So the fact that his romanized name, "Krillin," simply happens to work as a pun for "short warrior monk" ("krill" to indicate his short size and "lin" to indicate a Shaolin warrior monk) is nothing other than an amusing mistake.

But, hey, I'll take it. Not only does it inadvertently sound like a pun, but it's easier to say in casual conversation than "Kuririn." Easier in the same way that "don't" is easier than "do not," so it's not like it's massively easier...but for the lazy among us in casual conversations--like me--we'll take what we can get. :lol:
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

pixie_misa
Not-So-Newbie

Post by pixie_misa » Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:46 am

"Krillin" was pretty obviously chosen over "Kuririn" to make it easier for Americans to pronounce. There's not much more to it than that.

The original pun requires Japanese knowledge to come across anyways, so the only options here would be either
A.) Keep the name as it is in Japanese and ignore that Americans won't realize there's a pun, or
B.) Give him a brand new name that relates to the original pun in spirit.
C.) Just call him "Bongo" if you're harmony gold.

Krillin is basically A except they specifically chose a romanization that's easier for american phonemes.

Personally, I guess the one funi-ism I find myself actually using a lot is "Bulla". Clearly chosen because they felt "Bra" is just a weird sounding thing to call a teenage girl in english, so they opted for a rominzation that obfuscates her family name pun. In a series that already has "Bulma" over "Bloomers" it doesn't feel too unnatural, and i feel like it's similarly obfuscated in the way your average japanese reader might not immediately recognize what an english word is supposed to mean.

Just a personal preference though.

Honestly I just bounce around a lot depending on who I'm talking to. If you're not using Funi terms I probalby won't use them either, and vice versa.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:40 pm

pixie_misa wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:46 am In a series that already has "Bulma" over "Bloomers" it doesn't feel too unnatural, and i feel like it's similarly obfuscated in the way your average japanese reader might not immediately recognize what an english word is supposed to mean.
???
Japanese readers read "ブルマ", not "BULMA", they know what ブルマ are. If anything the constant use of that spelling may make them think the word is written "bulma" in English (which honestly is probably what Toriyama thought when he drew chapter 1 too).

Buruma and bloomers aren't really the same thing anyway, so chances are you're the one that don't recognize what her name is supposed to reference.

KPike87
Beyond Newbie

Post by KPike87 » Fri Apr 15, 2022 2:47 pm

I still call the Makankōsappō the Special Beam Cannon because I can't pronounce it well nor commit the spelling to memory.

pixie_misa
Not-So-Newbie

Post by pixie_misa » Fri Apr 15, 2022 3:04 pm

Adamant wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:40 pm Buruma and bloomers aren't really the same thing anyway, so chances are you're the one that don't recognize what her name is supposed to reference.
Is the condescension *really* necessary? Christ.

I was specifically talking about the localization choice of going with "Bulma" as her name in English over any other option, including opting for the garment that literally every name pun and translation guide I've ever seen online says Bulma's name is supposed to be referencing; bloomers. If you think that makes me ignorant, go yell at Herms.

viewtopic.php?t=12853

Besides, there are plenty of character names in the series that reference puns based on english words.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Apr 15, 2022 3:28 pm

pixie_misa wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 3:04 pm
Adamant wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:40 pm Buruma and bloomers aren't really the same thing anyway, so chances are you're the one that don't recognize what her name is supposed to reference.
Is the condescension *really* necessary? Christ.

I was specifically talking about the localization choice of going with "Bulma" as her name in English over any other option, including opting for the garment that literally every name pun and translation guide I've ever seen online says Bulma's name is supposed to be referencing; bloomers. If you think that makes me ignorant, go yell at Herms.

viewtopic.php?t=12853

Besides, there are plenty of character names in the series that reference puns based on english words.
As far as I know buruma more specifically refers to Japanese girl gym shorts

So more like this

Image.

And less this

pixie_misa
Not-So-Newbie

Post by pixie_misa » Fri Apr 15, 2022 3:34 pm

I mean yes, I'm fully aware of that, but they're still called the same thing.

Besides, I feel like my actual point here is kinda lost.

Funimation already went with "Bulma" instead of just calling her "Bloomer" (or whatever), so it's enough precedent for other name translations that aren't as on the nose about what they're referencing that it doesn't bug me. Hence me being fine with "Bulla." A subjective reasoning for a subjective conclusion.

Maybe Bulma's not the best example to use for that point, and fair enough there, but we're straight up talking about what notoriously inaccurate/unpopular translations we personally are okay with or even like.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Apr 15, 2022 3:39 pm

pixie_misa wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 3:34 pm I mean yes, I'm fully aware of that, but they're still called the same thing.

Besides, I feel like my actual point here is kinda lost.

Funimation already went with "Bulma" instead of just calling her "Bloomer" (or whatever), so it's enough precedent for other name translations that aren't as on the nose about what they're referencing that it doesn't bug me. Hence me being fine with "Bulla." A subjective reasoning for a subjective conclusion.

Maybe Bulma's not the best example to use for that point, and fair enough there, but we're straight up talking about what notoriously inaccurate/unpopular translations we personally are okay with or even like.
I think Bulma is a great example though. Even if Bloomers or Buruma is more "correct" she wears clothes bearing the name Bulma in the Latin alphabet all the time that it would be weird if the dub called her Buruma or Bloomer.

And I know Krillin wore a hat that said Kulilin once but that was one time. Not the dozen+ times Buruma wore clothes saying Bulma

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Fri Apr 15, 2022 5:20 pm

pixie_misa wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 3:04 pm Is the condescension *really* necessary? Christ.
Yo, you might want to try not to act overly offended when people try explaining thing to you.
MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 3:28 pm As far as I know buruma more specifically refers to Japanese girl gym shorts

So more like this

Image.

And less this

Yeah. They're the modern Japanese version of athletic bloomers, a mostly-forgotten garment from the late 1800s/early 1900s that covered the entire leg and were used by women in certain sports. In the west they just got phased out as women started wearing shorts and pants for sports, while in Japan they stuck around and got redesigned into the legless-shorts-esque garment people remember today, and which is generally called "buruma" in the west since they're such an extreme derivation from what anyone associates with the word "bloomers".

pixie_misa
Not-So-Newbie

Post by pixie_misa » Fri Apr 15, 2022 5:37 pm

Adamant wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 5:20 pm
pixie_misa wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 3:04 pm Is the condescension *really* necessary? Christ.
Yo, you might want to try not to act overly offended when people try explaining thing to you.
Yo, you might want to try not to act overly aggressive when you try explaining things to someone.

You might sincerely believe I'm too stupid to know when someone's trying to call me an idiot, but I'm not. I can see right through your bullshit.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Fri Apr 15, 2022 5:50 pm

pixie_misa wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 5:37 pm Yo, you might want to try not to act overly aggressive when you try explaining things to someone.

You might sincerely believe I'm too stupid to know when someone's trying to call me an idiot, but I'm not. I can see right through your bullshit.
That's... not what I was doing? :wtf:

I'm not really sure what's warranting these replies, so I'll just drop out of this.

pixie_misa
Not-So-Newbie

Post by pixie_misa » Fri Apr 15, 2022 6:09 pm

Adamant wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 5:50 pm
pixie_misa wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 5:37 pm Yo, you might want to try not to act overly aggressive when you try explaining things to someone.

That's... not what I was doing? :wtf:

I'm not really sure what's warranting these replies, so I'll just drop out of this.
oh...

-_-

I'm sorry, I must've massively misread your tone earlier.

I've been having a rough week I guess. My apologies for that lashing out, it wasn't deserved. Sorry for derailing the thread.