Best way to watch R4 Saga of Goku on CRT tv in the US?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

EnoYaka

Best way to watch R4 Saga of Goku on CRT tv in the US?

Post by EnoYaka » Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:20 pm

Is the cheapest/easiest way to play the disc to buy a region free dvd player, and then buy a region 4 crt tv? Would buying a pal to ntsc converter be cheaper? Could I fix the issue on my pc and then put that file back on the disc somehow? orr would it be best to do something else entirely? I heard many modern tvs can handle it without a converter and I know i could watch on my pc too, just would like it to be on an older tv.

Adamant
I Live Here

Re: Best way to watch R4 Saga of Goku on CRT tv in the US?

Post by Adamant » Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:44 pm

Getting a region free DVD player is a lot easier and far less of a hassle than getting the DVDs you're planning on using it to play.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:39 pm

The issue for you is whether your NTSC CRT accepts a 50hz PAL signal as the subcarrier frequency is different. Give it a test if you haven't already. PAL CRTs since the late 90s have accepted 50/60hz PAL/NTSC but I have no idea if it works in the reverse.

Otherwise you could try to hunt down a professional monitor, like a Sony PVM or JVC equivalent which accept all 15khz signals.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:27 pm

This feels like more trouble than its worth

KPike87
Beyond Newbie

Post by KPike87 » Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:10 pm

I'd suggest just buying the first season of the Blue Bricks in place of the first or even second Sagas. The R4 DVD's use frame blending, which makes it look like bad motion blur or something. I've never seen frame blending on animation, just live action, so maybe it's not as bad in that context, but that's a big risk for just a hunch.