Cutting 3 trips to the future down to 2

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Cutting 3 trips to the future down to 2

Post by DHM211 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:40 pm

I plan on recutting the Future Trunks arc to remove a lot of the "filler" that clogged up an otherwise enjoyable arc. I have a pretty good plan mapped out for what I plan on doing with the saga, but whats stumping me is how do I cut the 3 trips that Trunks, Goku and Vegeta take to the future down to 2. Any recommendations for this issue would be most helpful.

GreatSaiyaman123
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Cutting 3 trips to the future down to 2

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:14 pm

I agree with you that 3 trips was rather pointless and just dragged the saga for no reason. Having them come back defeated but at least knowing what to do next is the typical late 2nd act works, but it happens twice because of Beerus saying him killing Zamasu affects the future. And that line really came out of nowhere when it’s not how time travel works at all and everybody knew it but still fell for it anyway.

I actually had my own ideas and even started to write about how the first and second trips should be the same, but then it hit me that Trunks changes clothes between them. It’s a really tough thing to get around because you either introduce SSJR too late or ignore it completely.
Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

ankokudaishogun
Advanced Regular

Post by ankokudaishogun » Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:21 am

I think the only way is to have the events around Present Zamasu to happen BEFORE they go to the past the first time, so them meeting Future Zamasu forces them to the first withdrawal to the past and causes Goku to learn Mafuuba.

Basically:
  1. A Trunks to the past
  2. SS2 Trunks showcase
  3. then Goku Black too. This rises Beerus' suspicions about Zamasu.
  4. Present Zamasu events
  5. First trip to the future:
    1. vs Rosé
    2. meeting the resistance
    3. Future Zamasu's arrival forcing them to withdrawl to the past
  6. Vegeta training in Time Chamber
  7. Trunks being depressed but remotivated by Gohan
  8. Goku training Mafuuba
  9. Second trip to the future: pretty much same as the anime

Shorty GZ2
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shorty GZ2 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:00 pm

ankokudaishogun wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:21 am I think the only way is to have the events around Present Zamasu to happen BEFORE they go to the past the first time, so them meeting Future Zamasu forces them to the first withdrawal to the past and causes Goku to learn Mafuuba.

Basically:
  1. A Trunks to the past
  2. SS2 Trunks showcase
  3. then Goku Black too. This rises Beerus' suspicions about Zamasu.
  4. Present Zamasu events
  5. First trip to the future:
    1. vs Rosé
    2. meeting the resistance
    3. Future Zamasu's arrival forcing them to withdrawl to the past
  6. Vegeta training in Time Chamber
  7. Trunks being depressed but remotivated by Gohan
  8. Goku training Mafuuba
  9. Second trip to the future: pretty much same as the anime
This seems mostly reasonable. Also a little bit similar to the manga version of the FT arc, which does shorten the 3 trips to 2 trips, albeit in a different way (SS2 Trunks/Mai gets left behind in the future the 1st time to buy time against Rose Black & Zamasu for Goku/Vegeta to go back to the past and prepare, then Gowasu/Shin save Trunks/Mai by transporting them into the Kaioshin realm till they next go back out to fight Black/Zamasu (while Gowasu tries to reach out to Black)). At least Goku didn't forget about the Senzu that time.

ankokudaishogun
Advanced Regular

Post by ankokudaishogun » Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:20 pm

I mean, you can make it more streamlined if you don't want to recycle the already existing anime scenes by having only Vegeta going to the future the first time while Goku investigates Present Zamasu

Shorty GZ2
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shorty GZ2 » Sun Jun 19, 2022 5:49 pm

That could work too. Though you'd have to justify why even bring Goku along for the investigation instead of him helping Vegeta fight Black in the future.

Goku9001
Regular

Post by Goku9001 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:30 am

The way I see it is that the entire investigation on Present Zamasu is done before the first visit. Beerus eliminates Present Zamasu leading Trunks & co. to investigate the future. Things play out the same way as the first trip except they regroup at the Resistance. Yajirobe only has 3 sensu beans which limits their resources but allows them to heal up for another quick encounter. The Saiyans return to Black and Zamasu after evaluating their fighting style and returns with a game plan involving all of them rather than just Vegeta initially. Then things just play out the same exact way.

Or you can blend the two trips together. Present Zamasu investigation all happens prior to the first trip. The first trip happens the same way except Goku Black manages to swat Goku away. Afterwards, Zamasu and Black focus entirely on Trunks and eliminates him. Then the Rageku sequence happens exactly the same way which leads into Super Saiyan Rage which forces Goku and Vegeta to escape.