About the change from Bills to Beerus in some dubs

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

chungohan

About the change from Bills to Beerus in some dubs

Post by chungohan » Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:39 am

I heard than in some dubbed versions of Dragon Ball Super, the character Lord Beerus was called Lord Bills at some point. This is the case of the first Super movies in Spanish and Catalan (don't know about the american spanish versions) and in the Dragon Ball Super series in Spanish they changed the name in the middle of the series (we don't have a catalan dub of the series yet). So for the new movie that will be released in Spain the 2 of September, do you think both dubs will use the name Lord Beerus? Is that something mandatory from Toei Animation? Do you know if that happened in other dubs, French, English, German? Is there still any dub calling hin Lord Bills or was that corrected worldwide?

Thanks! :)

Gokrim

Re: About the change from Bills to Beerus in some dubs

Post by Gokrim » Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:31 pm

Here in Brazil is "Bills" too...

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:40 am

I remember before the English dub of Battle of Gods was released fans called him "Bills" but since then, with the dub going with "Beerus" or "Lord Beerus" those are the names the fandom has adapted.

I don't think there would be a mandate from TOEI, I think whatever name other dubs like the Iberian Spanish and Catalan settled on they will retain in their Super Hero dub for consistency.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:30 am

When BoG news started trickling out from Japan, fans localized "Birusu" as "Bills", including in English-speaking countries. I believe SaiyaJedi asked someone on the Japanese production side if the name was a pun on pilsner, which was close, but not correct. Eventually, the folks at Kanzenshuu figured out the origin of the pun, being a mix between "Beers" and "Virus"; the original planned villain of BoG was called Virus (still Birusu), but Toriyama mistakenly thought it was an alcohol pun (hence Whis). Kanzenshuu combined the puns and went with "Beerus". This approach apparently appealed to Chris Sabat, and thus Beerus was used in the official English release. Spanish and Portuguese countries stuck with what was already commonly used as the character's name online.

ChronoTwigger
Advanced Regular

Post by ChronoTwigger » Wed Jul 13, 2022 2:17 pm

Bills in Italy too.
I think all latin languages changed to Bills for easiness of speech.
There's also a translation argument. Using the phonetical system is in fact "BEEH L {u}SS".. We don't have muted letters in latin (a japanese ear could probably perceive it by the tongue rounding), so it's just elided, leading to the simplified BILLS.

To be spelled as intended it should have been "BEE LASS" since the start.
I learned english listening to songs. So I don't know anything about. The day you had to learn play piano by just listening .mp3, you'll understand.

chungohan

Post by chungohan » Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:34 am

AFAIK, the name Bills changed to Beerus in the Spanish dub at some point of the Super series because an international requirement from Toei Animation existed. That is why I wanted to know if that happened in other languages too :think:

jjbgood
Not-So-Newbie

Post by jjbgood » Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:10 am

In Germany he was called "Bills" in videogames like Xenoverse, who came out before Battle of Gods or the Super anime. The Movies, the Anime and the manga are using "Beerus". But all the Videogames and some things like trading cards or sticker albums are using "Bills". But i guess they are not translated in germany, because they all do the same naming mistakes. Goku Black, wich of course is also named Goku Black in the german manga and anime, get also called "Goku Schwarz" (Schwarz = Black in german), wich doesnt make any sense at all, because its a name.
But nobody here says "Goku Schwarz" or "Bills", because manga and anime translators are not stupid ;)
HOST AND FOUNDER OF THE GERMAN DRAGON BALL PODCAST "KAMEHAMEHA".
ADVISOR FOR THE GERMAN DUB OF DRAGON BALL SUPER.
FAN FOR OVER 20 YEARS.
https://kame-hame-ha.de/

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:48 pm

chungohan wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:34 am AFAIK, the name Bills changed to Beerus in the Spanish dub at some point of the Super series because an international requirement from Toei Animation existed. That is why I wanted to know if that happened in other languages too :think:
In Portugal it never changed from Bills. Last weekend they aired Battle of Gods (subtitled), and for some reason the ads typed "Birusu", but I checked the sub and it remains Bills.