Good news on the Ultimate Uncut versions of episodes that weren't released on DVD

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KingVegetto
Not-So-Newbie

Good news on the Ultimate Uncut versions of episodes that weren't released on DVD

Post by KingVegetto » Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:43 pm

So i've been active in the lost media community for the past few years and i've been getting into searching for lost media(in my case mostly TV shows and the occasional film) and one of those topics was the Ultimate Uncut versions of episodes 1-67 of DBZ, specifically the ones that never came out on DVD. Fortunately it turns out someone on the Lost Media Wiki forums recorded every single episode when it aired and put them all on DVD, unfortunately those DVDs are suffering from some issues due to being over 15 years old, some episodes are incomplete and others have a lot of glitching. However the person who recorded them believes they have every episode featuring Burter complete and glitch-free, so while we unfortunately won't get to see every unreleased ultimate uncut episode in its original aspect ratio minus crappy DNR(at least for now), we will at the very least finally get to hear all of Burter's original UUE VO which makes me happy.

I won't directly link the episodes on here so as not to break the rules, but I will provide a link for the LMW forum thread where they were discussed(BTW there are more UU episodes on the way so don't worry about that):https://forums.lostmediawiki.com/thread ... nal-burter
Last edited by KingVegetto on Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KingVegetto
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Good news on the Ultimate Uncut versions of episodes that weren't released on DVD

Post by KingVegetto » Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:32 am

OK update time, the person that recorded these airings has uploaded all of the ones he had that were fully intact and not incomplete/corrupted. Fortunately the vast majority of them are intact with only a few missing(and thankfully we have all of the ones with the original Burter VO)

Here's the missing Ultimate Uncut episodes in case anyone here has recordings of them:

43-A Friendly Surprise
52-The Past and Future
53-Zarbon's Surprise
54-Guru's Gift
55-Piccolo Vs Everyone
58-Unknown Enemies

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Re: Good news on the Ultimate Uncut versions of episodes that weren't released on DVD

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:58 pm

Didn't these episodes got re-release on the Season Sets? I remember the Saiyan Saga episodes on the orange bricks didn't feel much different than the ones from the Ultimate Uncut run.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:18 am

Hellspawn28 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:58 pm Didn't these episodes got re-release on the Season Sets? I remember the Saiyan Saga episodes on the orange bricks didn't feel much different than the ones from the Ultimate Uncut run.
The Ultimate Uncut run never finished the Saiyan arc, and the broadcast, which had some differences was never fully found. This is great, especially now that we can have Vic Micnogna's work as Burter preserved. Hope the rest of the episodes can be found.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:58 am

Hellspawn28 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:58 pm Didn't these episodes got re-release on the Season Sets? I remember the Saiyan Saga episodes on the orange bricks didn't feel much different than the ones from the Ultimate Uncut run.
Yes. The only difference is Dick Lasagna's Burter being redubbed by Sabat and the lack of UUE opening and that stupid red filter on the title cards. Otherwise they're the exact same episodes

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:12 pm

Well, this is certainly an interesting development considering that these episodes never saw full release in 4:3 under the UUE branding due to the DVD's being silently canceled after Volume 9. So basically as far as ep 28 onward goes this is the best we have even if not all of them are available online right now. Here's to better copies of the other eps not up currently being found and a gap of unreleased stuff finally surfacing in full at long last. Much like the entire run of the Harmony Gold dub, the 1994 test dub of DB movie 1 and the Japanese broadcast audio being found, i'd consider this another important discovery as far as Dragon Ball media goes given the Ultimate Uncut dub was only ever run to completion on Cartoon Network back in 2005.

That is, if you're talking about the original UUE dub with the custom reddish hardcore OP/ED and Vic Mignogna's original performance for Burter (Butta) in the Namek eps compared to Chris Sabat's redub in the Orange Bricks. On the OB's they used the Mark Menza movie guitar instrumental for the opening but left the UUE ending music as is over the animation for Zenkai Power.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

KingVegetto
Not-So-Newbie

Post by KingVegetto » Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:24 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:58 am
Yes. The only difference is Dick Lasagna's Burter being redubbed by Sabat and the lack of UUE opening and that stupid red filter on the title cards. Otherwise they're the exact same episodes
The Orange Bricks also had terrible cropping due to Funimation's insistence on putting the episodes in "widescreen" and excessive DNR that made them look hideous(and i've heard theories that the reason why so many DBZ clips on Youtube are from the Orange Box versions is because Youtube's content ID literally does not recognize OB footage as being DBZ because of all the cropping and excessive DNR), so it's not just the voice-acting that's different. The UUE versions are objectively superior on the basis of being in the proper aspect ratio and not having lines of animation erased due to DNR mistaking them for dirt and dust..
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:12 pm Well, this is certainly an interesting development considering that these episodes never saw full release in 4:3 under the UUE branding due to the DVD's being silently canceled after Volume 9. So basically as far as ep 28 onward goes this is the best we have even if not all of them are available online right now. Here's to better copies of the other eps not up currently being found and a gap of unreleased stuff finally surfacing in full at long last. Much like the entire run of the Harmony Gold dub, the 1994 test dub of DB movie 1 and the Japanese broadcast audio being found, i'd consider this another important discovery as far as Dragon Ball media goes given the Ultimate Uncut dub was only ever run to completion on Cartoon Network back in 2005.

That is, if you're talking about the original UUE dub with the custom reddish hardcore OP/ED and Vic Mignogna's original performance for Burter (Butta) in the Namek eps compared to Chris Sabat's redub in the Orange Bricks. On the OB's they used the Mark Menza movie guitar instrumental for the opening but left the UUE ending music as is over the animation for Zenkai Power.
Yeah it's pretty significant and i'm glad I could assist the community in this way. I'm going to continue looking for the remaining six episodes, i'm a member of a couple of VHS trading groups on Facebook so I asked if anyone on there had any recordings of DBZ from 2005 and someone said they had a bunch of blank tapes to go through and some were from Toonami, so who knows I might get lucky, fingers crossed! :mrgreen:

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:03 am

The Orange Bricks also had terrible cropping due to Funimation's insistence on putting the episodes in "widescreen" and excessive DNR that made them look hideous(and i've heard theories that the reason why so many DBZ clips on Youtube are from the Orange Box versions is because Youtube's content ID literally does not recognize OB footage as being DBZ because of all the cropping and excessive DNR), so it's not just the voice-acting that's different. The UUE versions are objectively superior on the basis of being in the proper aspect ratio and not having lines of animation erased due to DNR mistaking them for dirt and dust..
Indeed, it's a damn shame the UUE line was canceled nine volumes in and 28-67 wasn't released as such in 4:3 without the garbage DNR'ed quality and fake widescreen of the Orange Bricks.
Yeah it's pretty significant and i'm glad I could assist the community in this way. I'm going to continue looking for the remaining six episodes, i'm a member of a couple of VHS trading groups on Facebook so I asked if anyone on there had any recordings of DBZ from 2005 and someone said they had a bunch of blank tapes to go through and some were from Toonami, so who knows I might get lucky, fingers crossed!
Yes, because surely someone has those six eps on tape. It's good to know that hole in the UUE line which was a result of the Vegeta Saga II being scrapped part way after just two volumes this close to being filled even if it's just old VHS recorded copies from the UUE run on Cartoon Network back then.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:05 am

KingVegetto wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:24 pm (and i've heard theories that the reason why so many DBZ clips on Youtube are from the Orange Box versions is because Youtube's content ID literally does not recognize OB footage as being DBZ because of all the cropping and excessive DNR),
It's because a lot of people own the Orange Bricks since they were relatively cheap.

YouTube's content ID cant recognize the OB as DBZ lmfao what?

johnny1132

Post by johnny1132 » Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:47 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:18 am
The Ultimate Uncut run never finished the Saiyan arc, and the broadcast, which had some differences was never fully found. This is great, especially now that we can have Vic Micnogna's work as Burter preserved. Hope the rest of the episodes can be found.
I checked the episodes with Burter in them, and none have Vic in the credits. Are you sure this is correct information?
^Episode 63, one where Burter speaks

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:10 am

Yes, he did the voice. (Source: he explicitly called out the fact that he did so during the Broly NYCC roundtable, after calling out the fact that you see the Ginyu Force for a brief moment in that film.)

And nothing of value was lost.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:03 pm

johnny1132 wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:47 am
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:18 am
I checked the episodes with Burter in them, and none have Vic in the credits. Are you sure this is correct information?
^Episode 63, one where Burter speaks
Sabat and Micnogna's takes are different enough you could probably just check the actual episode instead of the often inaccurate credits. Mostly because Sabat's Burter was basically the same as his Vegeta