Saiyan fighting instincts

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Saiyan fighting instincts

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Sun Aug 28, 2022 5:44 pm

It's long been established the part of the reason why Goku is so obsessed with fighting is that it's a genetic trait inherited from the Saiyans. The Saiyans are frequently referred to as the ultimate warrior race who lived to fight. Of course, that doesn't make them nice. From everything we see of Saiyan culture, their love of fighting generally translates to them being hired killers who ransack planets and don't particularly care if they get significant resistance.

Controversial as the story may be, something interesting about the Granolah arc in the Super manga is that we get a greater insight into Saiyan psychology, or at least one certain Saiyan's psychology and how they approach combat when they aren't "on the job".

So, to give a brief recap for those who aren't up to date, Bardock plays a major role through flashbacks in the Granolah arc set during the Saiyan invasion of Planet Cereal, Granolah's homeworld. He's less of a dick than he has usually been portrayed as, which rubs some people the wrong way, but that's mostly irrelevant to this topic. Having recently seen baby Kakarrot in his nursing capsule, Bardock has a momentary flash of conscience and decides to save a young Granolah and his mother in secret, taking them up to Monaito the Namekian and tells them to survive no matter what.

Unlucky for Bardock, that flash of conscience leads him into a heap of trouble with the Heeters, an organised crime family who act as middle men in the Freeza Empire and secretly want to take over. Upon being spotted, Bardock gets into a fight with the Heeters' main muscle, Gas. By all reasonable logic, Bardock should be totally outclassed, but he prevails through sheer determination to win at all costs. Monaito tries to repay Bardock by giving him an opportunity to escape Gas via a Dragon Ball wish. To paraphrase, Bardock only has two words in response to that offer: "fuck" and "that". He's here to take this dreadlocked bastard down or he's gonna die trying, nothing will interrupt it.

What's funny is that I think this is one of the only times we see a regular pre-extinction Saiyan involved in a fight where only their own pride is at stake, and Bardock reacts much like Goku or Vegeta. In fact, it's almost exactly how Goku reacted to Kaio-sama's offer to teleport him away from Namek during his first battle against Freeza. "If you interrupt this fight, I'll never forgive you for as long as I live". Bardock's determination to win at all costs sets him apart from Goku or Vegeta who tend to fight while distracted by thoughts of fair competition or puffing up their ego, which they take as a lesson to learn from Bardock after hearing his story.

Contrast this with Raditz, the first Saiyan besides Goku we meet and Bardock's eldest son. He claims to be all about the fightin' life, yet he's a dirty coward. Nappa is more of a picturesque Saiyan warrior, but he has the most fun when he's killing much weaker opponents and breaks down like a bitch when he ends up picking on someone his own size. Vegeta was initially much the same way, but his motivation to surpass Kakarrot allowed him to evolve into the more genuinely competitive fighter that we know today.

So yeah, I think it's cool that the Super manga actually shows a Saiyan enjoying a fight rather than simply enjoying a one-sided slaughter. Do you think Bardock is exceptional in this regard as well, or would most Saiyans react the same way and fight to the death at any cost?

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Re: Saiyan fighting instincts

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:19 pm

Bardock being your run of the mill saiyan should mean every other saiyan was also like that, right? he's supposed to be as ordinary as it gets and his power up wasn't a False SS like people thought(lol), it is more like get your shit together and win, you only have one job.
The homeless saiyans might've gotten their insecurity trait after years of being treated like pawns in every way, or whatever, basically they no longer had real saiyan influence on them, and that was replaced by Freeza's influence. The "you have one job" motto might not have been that ingrained in the younger saiyans, and Nappa might've lost it as time went by.

I love Bardock's saiyan instincts. It's what Nappa pulled out against Goku, and probably we can find some other instances where it showed up, although for some of those it probably wasn't enough. I guess Geets had it when he was about to fight Freeza.
I like how different Goku's mindset is from Bardock's. Goku loves fighting but tends to offer their opponents a getaway card when he knows he'll win, lacking that bloodthirsty trait that provides a fucking boost for saiyans. Leave this planet and take your KO'd friend with you. Nappa, Recoome, even Freeza heard those lines. In DBS, Moro, Gas and Granola heard that, too.

Bardock will just fuck you up no matter what, he won't just lift the trophy without bashing your skull in like his son is always so willing to do. This arc sure found a way to improve Goku's existing mindset so he could get a power up, and it makes sense. He can draw a lot of power from his saiyan body, but his approach and goodness were preventing him from drawing even more power.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Re: Saiyan fighting instincts

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:43 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:19 pm Bardock being your run of the mill saiyan should mean every other saiyan was also like that, right? he's supposed to be as ordinary as it gets and his power up wasn't a False SS like people thought(lol), it is more like get your shit together and win, you only have one job.
The homeless saiyans might've gotten their insecurity trait after years of being treated like pawns in every way, or whatever, basically they no longer had real saiyan influence on them, and that was replaced by Freeza's influence. The "you have one job" motto might not have been that ingrained in the younger saiyans, and Nappa might've lost it as time went by.

I love Bardock's saiyan instincts. It's what Nappa pulled out against Goku, and probably we can find some other instances where it showed up, although for some of those it probably wasn't enough. I guess Geets had it when he was about to fight Freeza.
I like how different Goku's mindset is from Bardock's. Goku loves fighting but tends to offer their opponents a getaway card when he knows he'll win, lacking that bloodthirsty trait that provides a fucking boost for saiyans. Leave this planet and take your KO'd friend with you. Nappa, Recoome, even Freeza heard those lines. In DBS, Moro, Gas and Granola heard that, too.

Bardock will just fuck you up no matter what, he won't just lift the trophy without bashing your skull in like his son is always so willing to do. This arc sure found a way to improve Goku's existing mindset so he could get a power up, and it makes sense. He can draw a lot of power from his saiyan body, but his approach and goodness were preventing him from drawing even more power.
Yes mate, it's something I really enjoyed about Bardock's portrayal despite my reservations about him appearing at all, and I think it does reveal a major difference in the different Saiyans' approaches to fighting. Neither Goku or Vegeta have demonstrated the same unyielding resolve in quite some time, when you look at it. In the last arc, Goku was too merciful towards spare a planet-eating psychopath, while Vegeta was too clouded by guilt and self-loathing to finish the job. Maybe against Zamasu or Jiren was the last time they were solely focused on victory in the heat of the moment like Bardock was towards Gas?

I agree that Nappa had a similar boost in resolve when Goku pushed him into a corner. He was starting to adapt to Goku frighteningly fast, so Goku knew he couldn't mess around.