Dragon Ball's Popularity with Teens and Children

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Wrigglything
Beyond Newbie

Dragon Ball's Popularity with Teens and Children

Post by Wrigglything » Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:55 am

I believe there was a thread about this a while back, but I thought I'd share some encounters some time ago while I was at the mall checking some anime merch.

Obviously it's not some obscure franchise even here in my country, where most anime merch stores I go to would usually have a section dedicated to Dragon Ball. Some have more than others, but it shows that there is a demand for this franchise even after all these years, though one could make the argument they come from adults nostalgic for the series, hence its lower supply compared to others.

But my focus is on the popularity of the franchise regarding their main demographic, kids. Because I think that's a fascinating part there too, since there were two instances where they were looking for or spotting something Dragon Ball related. The first incident I recall was a pair of teenagers looking for a figure of maybe Vegeta, and the second were young children identifying one of those key chain picture things of Gogeta as something Dragon Ball related. So that makes me wonder just how popular is it with kids worldwide still. Is it really just good circumstances given the place I was at, or is the franchise still doing well with children?

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball's Popularity with Teens and Children

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Nov 02, 2022 3:36 pm

In my experience Dragon Ball's popularity among kids and teens is as noticeable as something like Pokemon or even Yu-Gi-Oh, but it is there, at least here in Ireland.

I remember when Super was airing one Sunday morning I was taking a bus and overheard the sound of TOEI Animation opening music followed by Limit Break X Survivor coming from some kid's loose headphones. I was pleasantly surprised they were watching the Japanese version, just goes to show how much the wait for an English dub led to fans of all ages giving it a chance.

More recently I went to see Super Hero in theatres, although I was the only person at the screening. After walking out of the movie I saw a mother and her kid, and the kid pointed at the Super Hero poster saying something about "Dragon Ball Z", which tells me that's still the most prolific brand name despite Super's rise.

The odd time there's a kid or teen out and about wearing a Dragon Ball shirt or hoodie. I can't speak for how hyped they are for the toys though, as I don't go to those kind of stores, but I'd assume they sell well because they are constantly being stocked.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed Nov 02, 2022 5:08 pm

Here in the states it's still hugely popular among teenagers and kids. I still remember going to Super Broly and being floored by how many teenagers were there. It's kinda surreal to see DB just as popular now as it was when I was in school....if not bigger :shock: And that was twenty damn years ago! (Jesus fucking Christ) Not only does it have the kids, but it's endured nostalgically in a way that few kid's cartoons from its era have.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Thu Nov 03, 2022 4:59 pm

I think DB is a legacy product in English-speaking countries at this point a-la a Hanna Barbera cartoon. We all know about it, and even if the obsession isn't there, you've got more general knowledge about the franchise than other products that came from the era (80s etc.)

There's still a ton of merch but I tend to assume it's marketed toward twentysomethings nowadays.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:14 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 5:08 pm Here in the states it's still hugely popular among teenagers and kids. I still remember going to Super Broly and being floored by how many teenagers were there. It's kinda surreal to see DB just as popular now as it was when I was in school....if not bigger :shock: And that was twenty damn years ago! (Jesus fucking Christ) Not only does it have the kids, but it's endured nostalgically in a way that few kid's cartoons from its era have.
Given how much of a meme Dragon Ball became on the internet and the general rise in anime consumption among young Americans, it makes sense that a lot of teens would get hooked into the franchise...just like how I did! :D
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:28 pm

It also sounds like Dragon Ball got a recent resurgence with kids and teens because of some Fortnite cross promotion thing?

Saiya6Cit
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiya6Cit » Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:10 pm

It is popular with the children because it was popular with the parents and there are products available at the store that the parents are willing to purchase.

Of course I can only speak about Mexico here (born and raised) and I can tell you dragon ball never really left here, yeah people overlooked DBGT but in mexico DBZ is a beloved as El Chavo (local show) or the Simpsons (a show that thanks to some dub liberties it is very well ingrained to our culture) but ever since 2017 and thanks to Dragon Ball Super whenever you go to the supermarket the kids clothes section has dragon ball, when there is the back to school there are dragon ball backpacks and suppplies. At any anime or comic store they have dragon ball figurines etc. At the piñata stores, they have GOKU and VEGETA!! they would have blue hair but still, it is them!

To me that means the franchise is current, it means the children recognize it and support it. I have seen 2 year olds watching DBZ and pretending to blast ki immediately after, DB is immortal, it is like Superman, which kid would not want to be the kind of Hero that Goku is?