"Sparking! ZERO" Official Announcement & Pre-Release Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Re: "Sparking! ZERO" Official Announcement & Pre-Release Discussion Thread

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:35 am

DRAGON BALL: Sparking! ZERO – Power VS Speed Trailer

https://youtu.be/orc40YRFfzs
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:42 am

Damn, that beam clash is sick. But Goku's bangs I still find odd.

FiReFTW

Post by FiReFTW » Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:00 am

It looks awesome and amazing, definitely agree that punches, blasts etc need more higher volume sound and impact, but this is just the alpha gameplay, I'm sure the final game won't have attacks that are so "low" impact

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:32 am

My main concerns at this point:

- Character count. Nothing to be done at this point besides waiting for a sequel. I'll always be disappointed we have a ton of Goku and Vegeta variants instead of one character with every transformation, outfit and moveset you can customize. There is no advantage to the current system, it seems like a marketing decision so they can market the game as having the biggest roster ever, even though most of it is inflated.

- Gameplay-wise, flight looks clunky. The shaky camera makes the action hard to follow. The punches seem to have no weight, and don't seem to connect cleanly with their opponent at times unlike the old games. The beams also feel floaty and weightless, and the animations look janky and cheap at times. Not a fan of how clunky beam deflections look. All of this can be fixed by release but at this point the game feels more like a better Jump force than a real BT4. SPIKE seems to have lost its talent.

- A lack of sound effects is severely hurting this showcase. I hope more and better sound effects are added in. Not a fan of the jello auras too. I know the animation style of the newer movies make some of the auras look that way too, but the old intense fire auras from the old Z anime and the BT games should be kept. I wonder how much attention to detail these games will have.

FiReFTW

Post by FiReFTW » Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:47 am

Yuji wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:32 am My main concerns at this point:

- Character count. Nothing to be done at this point besides waiting for a sequel. I'll always be disappointed we have a ton of Goku and Vegeta variants instead of one character with every transformation, outfit and moveset you can customize. There is no advantage to the current system, it seems like a marketing decision so they can market the game as having the biggest roster ever, even though most of it is inflated.

- Gameplay-wise, flight looks clunky. The shaky camera makes the action hard to follow. The punches seem to have no weight, and don't seem to connect cleanly with their opponent at times unlike the old games. The beams also feel floaty and weightless, and the animations look janky and cheap at times. Not a fan of how clunky beam deflections look. All of this can be fixed by release but at this point the game feels more like a better Jump force than a real BT4. SPIKE seems to have lost its talent.

- A lack of sound effects is severely hurting this showcase. I hope more and better sound effects are added in. Not a fan of the jello auras too. I know the animation style of the newer movies make some of the auras look that way too, but the old intense fire auras from the old Z anime and the BT games should be kept. I wonder how much attention to detail these games will have.
I'm almost 100% sure that number 2 and number 3 will be way better in the actual game.

As for number 1 I disagree.

Goku from Saiyan saga is way way different than Goku from Frieza/Cell Saga, and waaay different than goku from buu saga or goku from super saga, I think this way is actually amazing to represent the growth of these main characters.

Its also way easier to do many different variations of goku than a whole complete new character with completely unique animations, graphics, models etc.... so you would prefer a game with slightly more unique characters but a total of say 100 characters, than much more characters yet more variations? I find that very interesting.

I rather have it like this and get DLC's later like they said there will be in order to complete the roster, the final game with all the DLC's might have well over 200 characters, maybe more, I'm sure almost all the important ones and a lot of less important ones will be in the game.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:57 am

FiReFTW wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:47 am
Goku from Saiyan saga is way way different than Goku from Frieza/Cell Saga, and waaay different than goku from buu saga or goku from super saga, I think this way is actually amazing to represent the growth of these main characters.
Right, and you can just represent Goku's evolution by adapting the moveset, outfit and transformations to reflect the era, like the Raging Blast games did. You can still have the exact same Goku set-ups, only now with the freedom of also using UI Goku with the Yardrat outfit and meteor combination, which I think is cooler and more geared toward player freedom.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:30 pm

About the 13 min gameplay footage:

- I didn't like the health bars, I think they're pretty outdated for current new generation games, not only because they take up a lot of screen space, but also because the same company got it right in Raging Blast series.

- The game animation is very beautiful and smooth, and the environments seem to be much more destructive than before

- I'm happy that they brought back the outfits that were damaged after energy blasts.

- Many characters from DBS (as expected), but I noticed there was an attack using Burter and Jeice, could it be a confirmation of Team Techniques? I really hope so.

- If Kakunsa is present, Ribrianne and Rozie will certainly be there too, eager to humiliate my opponents in online matches with Kamikaze Fireballs.

- Sound effects really need to be better, I hope with the iconic ones from Hidenori Arai, but not in an exaggerated way like it was in FighterZ.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:02 pm

Yuji wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:32 am My main concerns at this point:

Honestly, I thought the game looked fast paced and fun. I think you're being overly critical.

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:12 pm

In my opinion, everything was great and clean. Something can be improved for sure but the level is high.

And... Muten is here!!! Finally :D

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:42 pm

The game doesn't look any worse than DBFZ and that's impressive. Need to know more about the story mode.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:05 pm

Really liking what I'm seeing so far.

Rinsankajugin
Regular

Post by Rinsankajugin » Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:13 pm

That new gameplay was pretty damn good, and I'm glad that blast stocks are back. I do find something peculiar though... In the first trailer and in the gameplay showcase, SSB Goku's ultimate is a Super Kamehameha, but at the end of the second trailer, it was a x20 Kaioken Spirit Bomb. Are character's movesets going to be expanded to have more than 1 ultimate attack?

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:25 pm

The "short dash" mechanic looks similar to what Kakarot had, and I liked the basic combat movement in that.

But yeah, what a fucking mindblowing showcase all around. This is the best looking DB game ever made and I'll gladly go to my grave on that hill.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:42 pm

I wonder why chose Kakunsa of all people, I guess to show us that even the least known characters are gonna be there.

Broly blowing up everything, damn... when is this coming out??? I'm like Super Buu with the hourglass.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:26 pm

I enjoyed watching Dragon Ball Sparking Zero, I will buy this game for sure.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:45 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:42 pm I wonder why chose Kakunsa of all people, I guess to show us that even the least known characters are gonna be there.
Definitely. They want to show us the roster is going to be insane.

I mean, IMAGINE them putting ALL ToP characters in the game.

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:05 pm

Game looks really fun, it's been years since the trailer for a game that I'm not even going to play got me this excited, I really didn't expect to see Kakunsa, I believe that might have irritated some people but I thought it was really cool, I believe bringing this type of character is what would make Super's roster as varied as Z's.
Annoyed that we can't have the presentation with English subtitles but with Japanese voices though (it sucks specially because there is a trailer written in English but with japanese audio)
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:39 pm

Yuji wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:57 am
FiReFTW wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:47 am
Right, and you can just represent Goku's evolution by adapting the moveset, outfit and transformations to reflect the era, like the Raging Blast games did. You can still have the exact same Goku set-ups, only now with the freedom of also using UI Goku with the Yardrat outfit and meteor combination, which I think is cooler and more geared toward player freedom.
But that still wouldn't give you the unique stances and quotes like we had in BT3. Early Goku had a completely different stance to Mid Goku for example.

Also it was kind of a pain having to change around Goku's moves in Raging Blast, just to accurately line up with a certain era of the show. Having them be separate slots is way more convenient.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:18 am

Watched the gameplay showcase. Here are my thoughts:
* The battle looked amazing. It's smooth. It's intense. It's sparking!
* The HUDs look horrible. I share Noah's opinion about them looking outdated and taking a good portion of the upper screen.
* It seems there will be just one OST worldwide rather than using the series' OST for Japan and a replacement for the rest of world like in previous installments. I'm not a fan of the track used in the battle, or at least, the fragment that sounded during it.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:45 am

The animation looks great but I'm spoiled by the 2D action of FighterZ, which I prefer to arena fighters.
Still interested to see how this game turns out and I'm happy for Sparking fans.