Anime Still Sells a Lot Of Physical Home Media

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Anime Still Sells a Lot Of Physical Home Media

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:03 pm

Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Anime Still Sells a Lot Of Physical Home Media

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:16 pm

Speaking of physical home media, were tapes of the World Martial Arts Tournament ever distributed? Seems like there would be easy evidence to dispute Mr. Satan's claims about the Cell Games being full of parlor tricks.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:56 am

There's a reason Sony has taken an interest in anime in recent years. It is one of those few mediums where the decline in home video sales hasn't been as significant. In fact the anime DVD and Blu-Ray market has only grown in the last decade.

Dragon Ball did wonders for Manga UK if we look at how the selection and quality of their releases grew since they acquired the license. Around the same time Anime Limited also set up shop, and have become the pioneers of collectors editions for the UK and Irish market, while also doing plenty of sales for their standard editions.

On the US side Discotek have recently got into the steelbook game with Angel Cop. I'm not a steelbook fan myself, but I'm glad they exist for those who want them, I think the fact people will double dip for something they bought once before if a steelbook gets released speaks volumes.
jjgp1112 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:16 pm Speaking of physical home media, were tapes of the World Martial Arts Tournament ever distributed? Seems like there would be easy evidence to dispute Mr. Satan's claims about the Cell Games being full of parlor tricks.
Yes, Funimation released all of Dragon Ball Z on VHS except for episodes 181-196 (edited numbering), so there are edited tapes for the 25th Tenkaichi Budokai.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:57 am

They meant in universe and no, apparently not.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:16 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:57 am They meant in universe and no, apparently not.
Fair enough, I guessed it wasn't in-universe because this thread is in relation to real life physical media, but it's a good in-universe question too. I love the irony of the name "Mr Satan", which is of course a Devil pun, as it portrays the naivety of the people of Earth who worship a phony superhero and are clueless about the lie of his "trickery" claims.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Apr 19, 2023 5:04 pm

Movies still have a big auddience that buy stuff. I see films from Arrow, Criterion, VS, etc that will be on Amazon's #1 seller's list. I have over 500 movies on Blu-ray, over 100 anime stuff, and much more on physical form. Meanwhile, I have more video games digitally oddly enough :lol:
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/